• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How busy is it at Westin Kaanapali?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Uber is available too.
It would be interesting to see what their demand pricing is like at times like these. When we arrived on Maui on 3/21 I was surprised at how many people were 'walking up' to car rental places expecting to get a car only to be told there weren't any available (anywhere) without a reservation.

teddyo333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana:
Westin Kierland (x2)
WKORV - OV (x2)
Desert Oasis (x6)
Vistana Villages - Bella
Vistana Villages - Key West
Sheraton Broadway Plantation (2BR Lockout)
Marriott:
Marriott Grande Ocean
We are on our way back to NY for Maui now (waiting in airport). We will be returning to Maui in July and noticed that car reservations for full size suvs in July are $1300. I made the reservation for the April and July vacations in January. At the time full size suvs were $450 (April) and $800 (July). I think car rental prices will be high until the fall. With so many individuals wanting to travel this will be a classic case of supply and demand.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
Everybody is really making me appreciate that I can use my corporate deal for personal travel. I have two weeks from OGG starting on 4/24 for $417 total. ($234 is the two week rental, the rest is fees and taxes, which would be lower from an off airport location, but not worth the hassle.)

Granted it’s for a midsize car, but I’m Presidents Club with Avis so I will probably get an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Everybody is really making me appreciate that I can use my corporate deal for personal travel. I have two weeks from OGG starting on 4/24 for $417 total. ($234 is the two week rental, the rest is fees and taxes, which would be lower from an off airport location, but not worth the hassle.)

Granted it’s for a midsize car, but I’m Presidents Club with Avis so I will probably get an upgrade.

Last week I booked a car on Maui for work at $30 a day total starting 04-12-21. Unreal looking at the prices online.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week I booked a car on Maui for work at $30 a day total starting 04-12-21. Unreal looking at the prices online.

We booked with corporate rate for leisure at $35 a day or $140 a week plus taxes for a midsize car. We took it for granted. Now appreciated it. Hawaii taxes are high.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points

Pair-A-Dice

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Maui last week. Things are pretty close to normal as far as the number of travelers. If you have not yet rented a car you may be out of luck. If you were lucky enough to have reserved a car back in February then you should have a car. If you are flying United you can get Covid pre checked before you board for Maui. This could save you hours in the line in Maui. If so I suggest you run from your plane to the car rental place so you can get in line first. If you are traveling with someone else they can get your baggage. I heard story's from people at our resort about them waiting in line for hours and then finding out the car they reserved was no longer available.

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are major features difference between the 3 Westin resorts in Maui? We plan to book a vacation at Maui next June. Any suggestions and comments are highly appreciated. Thanks.

PeggyO1958

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH and I are headed to Kaanapali North at the end of April. I'm looking for advice on crowding and lounge availability at the pools. We are thinking of buying beach chairs and an umbrella at Costco so we have seating options.
You might also consider renting chairs and an umbrella from Maui Baby Rentals. They will deliver to the resort and pick up when you're done with the chairs and umbrella. Prices are reasonable; you can order online ahead of time. We used them in March and were very pleased with the condition of the items and their service. https://www.babyrentalsmaui.com

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might also consider renting chairs and an umbrella from Maui Baby Rentals. They will deliver to the resort and pick up when you're done with the chairs and umbrella. Prices are reasonable; you can order online ahead of time. We used them in March and were very pleased with the condition of the items and their service. https://www.babyrentalsmaui.com
Thanks, I actually rented through Snorkel Bobs, but I'll check this group out

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The lawn at WKORVN is huge so why they can't they put lounge chairs out there so more people can enjoy one? Why are the pool attendants not enforcing the lounge hogs who lay their stuff down and take off?

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
The lawn at WKORVN is huge so why they can't they put lounge chairs out there so more people can enjoy one? Why are the pool attendants not enforcing the lounge hogs who lay their stuff down and take off?

I have seen so many posts like this. I wonder if it would help for those of you whoe are there at the time to talk to the front desk, and/or ask for the manager and make some complaints/requests. I can't help but think that if enough people did this that things could change. At the very least you might get an explination for why things are the way they are (i.e. lawn chairs).

Marriott Waikoloa had a decent system; each day one pool area completely closed 12:00-12:30 for chair cleaning and the next area 12:30-1 pm. It forced people to leave their chairs. Occupancy was low so I don't know what it was like after the cleaning but seemed like a good overall solution to me.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were their last week and these were both questions nearly everyone we spoke to were asking. The answer given to 'chairs on lawns' was due to not having resources to lay them out/move them for the grass maintenance work so a general moratorium on Westin chairs on grass was being upheld. We saw this in action to the incredulity/frustration/anger of guests. Not sure why Nanea is different?

As for chair hogs, there must be some hogs who read the threads on here so I would like a 'hog' to explain their rationale? Is it simply FOMO?

My resolution, give every adult guest a numbered chair card at check in to be placed in a card holder on a chair when they occupy it and not before. Pool attendants remove and retain cards of those in violation and thus pool chair rights are lost for the remainder of their stay. You want food/drinks from the bar either use the pool side service or give up the chair. You want to pop to your villa for lunch then give up the chair. If it's that important for you to have a chair then sit on it.

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here this week. Waited for Uber or Lyft but after 20 minutes of the app searching for a driver we took a cab from the airport for $92 plus tip (their estimate was to the dollar). Will rent a car a few days from a Kaanapali rental car location and drop off at the airport at the end of the trip. Westin shuttle at other times. The resort and the beach seem busier now than it was during Christmas week. Covid negative test screening by United before departing SFO saved a lot of time when we landed.

Lanabanana

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOV
What are the alternatives to rental cars to get to and from WKORV from the airport midday? I just can't see paying $175 a day for a rental car. Is Uber in Maui? Shuttle bus?
LIFT is 60 to and from airport, but had 30mn wait. Take weatin shuttle to grocery stores and around town. Unfortunetly no costco unless you can get a car rental by the hotel.

Mushed

Reaction score
We just came back, so I’ll weigh in too. We stayed at the North, although we went to the South for the waterslide a bit each day. Don’t worry, we gave up chairs when we left. I was prepared to rent beach chairs, but ended up able to reserve 2 chairs most mornings (for 3 adults and 2 kids to share) when I went down for a run. Even at 6:30, I only got shade one day. People would reserve and push the hour to the limit. It was very frustrating that they stopped tagging at 12pm. We usually stayed until lunch (little kids) and came back after nap. Our last day, there was this huge group of adults who bailed and left two or three friends with like 8 chairs covered with towels, and never came back. Would have been really nice to let others use them!

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
LIFT is 60 to and from airport, but had 30mn wait. Take weatin shuttle to grocery stores and around town. Unfortunetly no costco unless you can get a car rental by the hotel.

I noticed that rental car rates varied a bit depending on the days (highest on Saturday starts at OGG). Planning to go back in August and I still see the rates high, except Wednesday (Kaanapalit pickup) to Saturday (OGG dropoff) when the rate on Costco was $275 all in, which is not bad.

I also noticed that last Thursday they put out chairs for the tables by the BBQs, previously only tables so you couldn't eat there. One step closer to normal.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cars either all sold out or over $200/day for 7/3-7/10 when we'll be back there. We've booked SpeediShuttle at a cost of $145 for 4 for a shared ride from OGG->WKORVN and back. Will make use of backpacks and walking trips to Times Market for groceries. It's the beer and wine that's the killer but good exercise. If you see a mule train navigating the boardwalk it's probably us :D

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Cars either all sold out or over $200/day for 7/3-7/10 when we'll be back there. We've booked SpeediShuttle at a cost of $145 for 4 for a shared ride from OGG->WKORVN and back. Will make use of backpacks and walking trips to Times Market for groceries. It's the beer and wine that's the killer but good exercise. If you see a mule train navigating the boardwalk it's probably us :D

Instacart?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Does Instacart work at WKORVN? Has anyone tried it?

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been at WKORV since Wednesday, and although it is hard to find a chair in the shade, it doesn’t look as busy as it has been other times.
It does bother me that people put towels on 6 lounge chairs at 7:00 am and don’t show up until 3 hours later. I think the enforcement for unused lounge chairs should be much stricter and consistent. No problem so far finding an available BBQ grill.