• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How are TX Tuggers making out?

Happytravels

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
To all the Texans and others who may be experiencing severe cold weather; Don't forget to leave all your faucets running to help prevent frozen pipes should you lose your heat source.

Frozen pipes are not what you want to deal with if you can possibly avoid it.....

We also live in the Houston area. We took all the precautions we could. Left water dripping opened cabinet doors and wrapped pipes, put more blankets on the bed etc. We still had a busted pipe. We have lived in this house for 32 years and have never had this issue. No water and electric for days. We both work in a grocery store and were not able to report to work for three days due to icy roads. The store is a mess and we are trying to RESTOCK as fast as we can. We normally get deliveries from Dallas but I hear the warehouse is down and are now getting our trucks for AZ which take approx 36 hours to get. Please have patients' for all the courtesy clerks and store workers they are doing the best they can, even with issues at home we went to work to serve the PEOPLE!!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
How Much Longer Will DFW-Area Store Shelves Be Nearly Empty Following Winter Storms?

I went to my local Target yesterday. All coolers and refrigerated units were 100% empty. My guess is that they lost power and decided it was unsafe to sell all items that lost cooling or refrigeration...

George

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We also live in the Houston area. We took all the precautions we could. Left water dripping opened cabinet doors and wrapped pipes, put more blankets on the bed etc. We still had a busted pipe. We have lived in this house for 32 years and have never had this issue. No water and electric for days. We both work in a grocery store and were not able to report to work for three days due to icy roads. The store is a mess and we are trying to RESTOCK as fast as we can. We normally get deliveries from Dallas but I hear the warehouse is down and are now getting our trucks for AZ which take approx 36 hours to get. Please have patients' for all the courtesy clerks and store workers they are doing the best they can, even with issues at home we went to work to serve the PEOPLE!!
Bless you, you now have TWO tough jobs to do. When we saw Kroger, Walmart and Target closed, we knew it was going to be bad.

I imagine chicken and eggs will be scarce for a while as I image all local poultry farms lost their flocks.

Milk was being dumped by farmers because they could not get the milk to market.

This is just been horrible.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OOOOh, Major flaw in the disaster of a plan:
Power was, unsurprisingly, diverted to hospitals and nursing homes. Ercot, as the grid manager is known, was staving off utter catastrophe, its chief executive later said.

But leaving shale fields like the Permian Basin dark had an unintended consequence. Producers who depend on electricity to power their operations were left with no way to pump natural gas. And that gas was needed more than ever to generate electricity.

As one executive described: It was like a death spiral.

Talk about a negative feedback loop.

If you want to prank a couple with a dual control electric blanket: Swap the controls.
That's the definition of an inherently unstable system.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ed Hirs Has Been Predicting This Mess for Years
The Houston-based energy economist is our blackout Cassandra. Will state officials finally heed his advice?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The first wave was the cold
The second wave was the shortages
The third wave is the water from the frozen pipes
The fourth wave will be the upcoming insurance increases

Winter Storm Uri to Generate Billions in Insured Losses: Moody’s
The Insurance Council of Texas (ICT) has said the storm “may be the costliest winter weather event in the state’s history.” Hundreds of thousands of claims are expected as a result of the storm, according to ICT spokesperson Camille Garcia. The Independent Insurance Agents of Texas said in a statement on its website that it “is expected to be the largest insurance claim event in Texas history.”

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
For many up north, we call that, "Typical Winter".

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Here's the Wall Street Journal (news not opinion page) assessment:

"...A fundamental flaw in the freewheeling Texas electricity market left millions powerless and freezing in the dark this week during a historic cold snap.

The core problem: Power providers can reap rewards by supplying electricity to Texas customers, but they aren’t required to do it and face no penalties for failing to deliver during a lengthy emergency.

That led to the fiasco that left millions of people in the nation’s second-most-populous state without power for days. A severe storm paralyzed almost every energy source, from power plants to wind turbines, because their owners hadn’t made the investments needed to produce electricity in subfreezing temperatures...."

Full Article: (may be behind a paywall)

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
On another note, I live in South West Fort Worth. I went to the grocery store yesterday and I was amazed at how bare the shelves still are. No meat, water, eggs, bread or milk.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mother Nature always has a way to show, even though you think you're in charge, you're really not. I hope this is a wake up call.

Texans have long prided themselves on bucking federal oversight and standing apart from the rest of the country.

"Texans have long seen this independence as a point of pride. Texas’ independent grid was created a century ago in the image that Texans have of themselves: standalone, free from federal oversight and largely deregulated. But this week’s blackout has come as a rebuke to that idea—or, at least, highlighted the limits of Texas as a brash, go-it-alone state, big enough not to have to rely on the rest of America."

"Some states like Georgia require operators to maintain energy reserves almost double what Texas requires. This costs energy companies more money, but it also ensures that a grid is more reliable."

"Texas, which has no state income tax, has avoided budgeting funds to prepare the grid for winter, knowing that customers would have faced higher bills."

"After a major winter storm knocked out power in Texas almost exactly a decade ago, federal regulators called on the state to fortify its grid against deep freezes."

"Even at the height of the crisis this week, Rick Perry said Texans would rather go without power for days than deal with federal energy regulations."

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I don’t have a dog in this fight so please don’t shoot the messenger. After reading the initial post, I knew I had seen an article this morning that disputed frozen windmills were the main cause of the power outages in Texas. Although, it is true that many were frozen, it also appears there were freeze problems affecting most electricity producers in the state, regardless of type. According to this article, the windmill issue is only responsible for 13% of the total outages.
Yes, there were many cases of natural gas processing plants (that feed electric utilities) freezing up. They froze up because THEY WERE INCLUDED IN THE ROLLING BLACKOUTS. Painful to consider the “thinking” that went into this.
Texas has had cold winters many times before, some colder and of a longer duration than this recent cold snap. But this was the first cold snap that had so much reliance on windmills and that basically relegated natural gas generating plants as “backup” to wind. When the windmills froze up (immediately), they couldn’t get the gas plants on line fast enough plus the fiasco of submitting them to the rolling blackouts.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I think, in the era of climate change, we need to expect “100 year events” every decade or so. That’s certainly been the case so far in terms of “100 year floods” and “100 years hurricanes.”

And maybe Texas could have learned more from the Enron scandal than it did

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This wasn’t a 100 year event. Just a cold snap. Been through many here in the Houston area.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's not wind power because cold places like the Netherlands and Greenland run on wind during frigid conditions. The TX power operators neglected to invest in winterizing all TX power sources (traditional and wind). Epic Fail because the same happened in 2011 and 1989. They were told in 2011 to winterize but ignored.
I don’t remember this happening in 1989 or 2011. In fact I only remember losing power during hurricane events. Never in winter.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For many up north, we call that, "Typical Winter".
Your welcome to come down to experience one of our "Typical Hurricanes"

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Yes, there were many cases of natural gas processing plants (that feed electric utilities) freezing up. They froze up because THEY WERE INCLUDED IN THE ROLLING BLACKOUTS. Painful to consider the “thinking” that went into this.
Texas has had cold winters many times before, some colder and of a longer duration than this recent cold snap. But this was the first cold snap that had so much reliance on windmills and that basically relegated natural gas generating plants as “backup” to wind. When the windmills froze up (immediately), they couldn’t get the gas plants on line fast enough plus the fiasco of submitting them to the rolling blackouts.
So, natural gas, which produces more than twice the energy of the windmill farms, is only used as a backup to the windmills? That makes no sense.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, natural gas, which produces more than twice the energy of the windmill farms, is only used as a backup to the windmills? That makes no sense.
There must be a RESERVE natural gas generation capacity equal to windmill farms and solar because it is considered "intermittent". That is how it is designed.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I've not read much about the details of the history of power generation in Texas, but the little I've read makes me wonder if it's now time for Texas to require power utilities to winterize their infrastructure. If they don't, this will likely happen again. And yes, this will certainly increase your (relatively) inexpensive electrical costs. Those of you who live in Texas, do you agree this should be done now?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your welcome to come down to experience one of our "Typical Hurricanes"

No thanks however, I would wager that I've been through more hurricanes than Texas has been through events like this. ;)

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score