• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hotel Reservation Cancellation Issue

uaremymuse

Reaction score
I made a hotel reservation by mistake and the day that this occurred would have included that day as the arrival date. As soon as I realized that I had mistakenly made the reservation, which was within a minute, I called Marriott Bonvoy and explained what had occurred. During the call a $298 charge appeared on my Amex card. The MB representative told me that there was no problem cancelling the reservation and that I would not be charged anything for the reservation and cancellation even though it all happened after 9pm on the day of what would have been the day of arrival. The MB Rep told me that I was allowed to cancel same day reservations without any financial penalty because of my Titanium level of membership.

Issue: The $298 was processed against my credit card. Does anyone know anything about this type of issue? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
I've managed to do something similar before, but with a chain not known for customer service (I think it was Choice or Wyndham) so I handled it with the motel directly. Instead of canceling the stay, they just modified the dates. I was somewhat surprised that it was handled so simply.

If it has been with a chain I had some confidence in - Marriott definitely qualifies - I'd feel fairly confident that they'll hold to their promise. It might take an extra call if you don't see a credit in the near future. Even with 'good' chains, it's never a bad idea to ask any reps you speak with to read you back what notes they are leaving.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It is likely a pending charge and the pend will drop and not be transacted. Just keep checking your account until the pending drops or posts.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
It is likely a pending charge and the pend will drop and not be transacted. Just keep checking your account until the pending drops or posts.

Thanks but it went from pending the night of the mistake to processed status a few days later.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
I've managed to do something similar before, but with a chain not known for customer service (I think it was Choice or Wyndham) so I handled it with the motel directly. Instead of canceling the stay, they just modified the dates. I was somewhat surprised that it was handled so simply.

If it has been with a chain I had some confidence in - Marriott definitely qualifies - I'd feel fairly confident that they'll hold to their promise. It might take an extra call if you don't see a credit in the near future. Even with 'good' chains, it's never a bad idea to ask any reps you speak with to read you back what notes they are leaving.

Thanks. Now I just remembered what someone said to do under circumstances like this. First, put in a request to change the reservation dates to 1-2 weeks out and then return a few days after changing the dates and then cancel the revised reservation so that you’re in compliance with the standard cancellation guidelines.
Unfortunately I didn’t think to do that at that time of the incident because I just assumed that MB would cancel it without issue because of my titanium status.

Armada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Old Town Alexandria
La Belle Maison
I've done this a few times myself. I've always called the hotel and dealt with them directly. Never had a problem cancelling the reservation without penalty. I'm LT Titanium with Marriott. Just remember to document when you called and who you spoke with.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
I've done this a few times myself. I've always called the hotel and dealt with them directly. Never had a problem cancelling the reservation without penalty. I'm LT Titanium with Marriott. Just remember to document when you called and who you spoke with.

Thanks. It still has not been resolved. I did try to reach someone at the hotel but my call is always sent to a Marriott call center. Who did you ask to speak with at the hotel? Desk Manager?

Armada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Old Town Alexandria
La Belle Maison
Try asking for the front desk manager. Would call around 8-9am on a weekday.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
Try asking for the front desk manager. Would call around 8-9am on a weekday.

Thank you. I was finally able to reach the hotel’s accounting/billing office and spoke with a sympathetic employee who agreed, given the circumstances, to refund the charge, which I guess was categorized as a late cancellation fee. When I told him that if I were dishonest, I could have easily asked that the reservation be moved out a month which would then have allowed me to cancel the moved reservation in a timely manner to avoid this waste of everyone’s time, he laughed and said yes, I could have done that. Regardless, thank you for your suggestion.

I’m still a bit burned that MB couldn’t or wouldn’t have done this on my behalf given how many nights I stay with them each year as I just recently became an Ambassador level member.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
I made a hotel reservation by mistake and the day that this occurred would have included that day as the arrival date. As soon as I realized that I had mistakenly made the reservation, which was within a minute, I called Marriott Bonvoy and explained what had occurred. During the call a $298 charge appeared on my Amex card. The MB representative told me that there was no problem cancelling the reservation and that I would not be charged anything for the reservation and cancellation even though it all happened after 9pm on the day of what would have been the day of arrival. The MB Rep told me that I was allowed to cancel same day reservations without any financial penalty because of my Titanium level of membership.

Issue: The $298 was processed against my credit card. Does anyone know anything about this type of issue? Thank you.

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago and was able to resolve it with no problem. I was reserving one night a few months out and when a lower price showed up in my search I neglected to notice that the date had somehow reverted to the current day instead of the night I needed. I think I had just achieved Aluminum status at the time but I called Marriott Rewards right away and they cancelled the reservation for me.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
Mine was also immediately cancelled but the charge went through anyway. I’m still trying to have it removed.