• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hotel Cert (7 day Cat 6)-What happens under new Reward system if cancel and rebook?

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
So we reserved 3 rooms for Marco Island, using 7 night Cat 6 hotel certificates issued before the new plan and expiring in Sept 09.

I am considering changing to Puerto Rico or Grand Cayman....but the standard points are higher now.

Is a 7 night certificate still good, even though the points have been increased or will I need to supplement ( doesn't seem fair)?

An aside, I suppose if it is even possible, I will have to get on the phone and do it with an agent? That is not a prospect I enjoy as I feel like it is always a very longggg call and takes a couple calls to get one that knows what they are doing.....

Thanks, Cheryl

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cheryl-
My understanding is that your certificate is still good for any category 6 hotel until the expiration date. It can no longer be extended. But you can cancel the hotels you have reserved and re-book into something that is currently a category 6. If Puerto Rico or Grand Cayman are still a 6, then your plan should work.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Your fine as long as the cat 6 hotel didn't get upgraded to a cat 7 hotel.

The changes only really hurt someone who would have to rebook into a hotel which changed categories. And anyone who is now buying a certificate at the higher prices.

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both. That is what seems fair, but you never know....now the bigger decision....to change or not to change.....?

I have flown through Puerto Rice so many times and never even given it a thought...and since there are no Marriott timeshares there, it might be a good place to use up the certificates....I also would prefer a direct, non-stop flight, with my 3 small children, so not many options.....

Beverley

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to check with your Marriott advisor on this. I thought I heard/ read on or about the time of the announcement that after the change date the old cert would have to be canceled and a new one issued. The question here is what you would be credited with if this information is correct. It could be that you would have to "cash in" the old and re order a new. I hope I am wrong. The "cash in" value is very low. :bawl:

Beverley :shrug:

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cheryl, we stayed at the Marriott in San Juan, PR a few years ago and I would not bring children of any age to that area or to San Juan itself. When we ate a a sidewalk cafe a few doors down from the Marriott there was an armed guard on the cafe property keeping the diners "safe". One day we went to the beach and there were more armed police on horseback on the beach than there were beachgoers. Every place you look there are bars on the windows, etc. We just felt very unsafe and that's the first island we can say that about. If you aren't going to San Juan then maybe it would be okay but not San Juan.

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Beverly :
Well, I definitely would not change anything until new plans were firmly in place. Love Marriott, but have experienced that one must often be sure of the rules and be persistent that things are done correctly. Even getting these reservations was quite a hassle ( long story) but I can tell you I spent at least 2 hours on the phone with reps after one error was made which led to a series or errors...thank good ness I printed out pages and could explain the whole sordid event. Finally it was fixed several calls and a couple weeks as well as a couple supervisors later!

KCI:
Anyway, you definitely have me rethinking Puerto Rico...We love the islands as well and I haven't really ever been to any to which I wouldn't bring kids ( except for the difficulty of getting to some of the more remote ones)...so your comments on safety in PR are concerning.

Beverley

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. By the way, my daughter stayed at the Marriott in the Grand Caymans for her honeymoon and said it was really nice. Perhaps if you change, the Caymans might be the better option after KCI's description.

Happy decisions :)

Beverley

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to confirm with the original poster that you do not need to have your certificate reissued. I ordered a travel package in 12/08. Today I made my reservation for the hotel portion using the certificate. (The hotel and dates I wanted were only available as stay anytime award prior to today...but available for regular rewards stay as of today.)

This is what I did: Reserve the hotel as a reward booking online, call MR and have them attach the certificate. There was no problem. My 7 day certificate was good to use just as it was prior to 1/15. My hotel was a cat 5 and remained a cat 5. When I made the reservation online, it did not recognize my unused certificate, the MR rep had to "attach it".

As a side note, I spoke with two different Marriott Elite phone reps and then immediately spoke with two different Marriott rewards reps. The ME reps were very professional and courteous. The two MR reps were VERY surly and one was down right rude!! My tone was the same with all four women. I was relaxed and courteous to each. I think the change in the MR program has been a challenge and a frustration to these reps. I'm sure some customers are upset about the changes...especially if they are not tuggers ;) and didn't read the fine print about the changes. It seems that the reps are seriously on the defensive. After my business was completed I asked to speak to a supervisor and shared the experience with him. My intent was not to get anyone in trouble, but to ask him to remind them to remain professional and not take out their frustrations on every customer!

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
ThanksCaliforniagirl,

I am still toying with messing with the reservations. We have 3 side by side adjoining gulf front rooms ( cash upgrade) at Marco Island and the reservations took some work to get...I agree about the reps.

I also appreciate the reminder to call the Elite line. I did have quite a few long, counterproductive and frustrating calls in the process of booking and then others are just standouts. I just never remember that and especially since you note a clear diferrence in service, sounds like a great tip. Thanks!

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
HELP! HElp! HELP!

I cashed in reward points for Cat 6 hotel cert and 100K miles June 2008. We used miles to fly to Mexico for son's wedding but still have the cert. I was able to get this extended but now that I'm trying to use it, I'm getting the standard "sorry, no rooms at the inn" response. Clearly had I realized it would be this difficult, I would have cashed for lower category and not wasted points . . any advice as to how to proceed would be GREATLY appreciated . .thanks Tuggers, you're the best:eek:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The key is to be flexible for where and when you travel. There are a lot of outstanding Reward stay certificates that people are using, taking up much of the prime Reward stay space. Get creative about where and when to go that might not be as popular with typical vacationers.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's what i have been told, but have spoken to different reps and not sure if it is correct. If you are using the certificate from a travel package ordered before the change it is valid at any hotel of that category until 1 year form the date you ordered the certificate. If you are using a regualar certificate you need to have a new certificate issued for the point amount now required.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fortunately I spoke with a good rep and she extended my reward for 1 yr so it is 7 nts @ Cat 6 hotel. Unfortunately, my time off schedule doesn't allow for me to be all that flexible but I am going to try . .how far in advance can you book and also, do things open up as time gets closer, much like flex change window of opportunity for II trading?

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Success

OMG, Yesterday I decided to try again, this time calling Marriott VA in lieu of Marriott Rewards. A very wonderful rep assured me that there are no black-outs, restrictions etc. Although she couldn't confirm my original date choice of July 21, she immediately offered up that there was availability beginning Aug 1. So I booked, I've got confirm, there is no cancellation penality other than hotel's polilcy , you get the picture.
This is VERY Different info than I received from Rewards. VA mentioned that this is often the case.
So I want to put this out there - if you are redeeming vacation package from points and you are Marriott owner, do yourself a favor and call your VA!
We're off to Ireland July 25, we'll fly to Shannon, tour west coast, ending up for a week at Shelbourne in Dublin. Gotta love it!
Thanks to ALL the Tuggers who've offered up info.

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG, Yesterday I decided to try again, this time calling Marriott VA in lieu of Marriott Rewards. A very wonderful rep assured me that there are no black-outs, restrictions etc...........We're off to Ireland July 25, we'll fly to Shannon, tour west coast, ending up for a week at Shelbourne in Dublin. Gotta love it!
Thanks to ALL the Tuggers who've offered up info.

Excellent news. I can definitely tell you that who you talk to makes a whole workd of difference! Glad you found the right channel! Enjoy our trip.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're Back

It was a great trip. The Shelbourne in Dublin was lovely but personally I preferred the West Coast of Ireland. Truth be told, I'm really a country girl at heart!