• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hot Spot at Point at Po'ipu

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used a hotspot at the Point? Who was your provider?

We have both an iPad, an iTouch, and a laptop and a hot spot would be nice. Would rather not go down to the lobby. We like to Skype with family and friends while we are there.

We don't have any phones that can be used as a hot spot either.

Probably will be in Bldg 4.

Cheers,

Paul

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used a hotspot at the Point? Who was your provider?

We have both an iPad, an iTouch, and a laptop and a hot spot would be nice. Would rather not go down to the lobby. We like to Skype with family and friends while we are there.

We don't have any phones that can be used as a hot spot either.

Probably will be in Bldg 4.

Cheers,

Paul
When we go I take along a wireless router and connect it to the LAN in the room. I then set up my own secured network.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
When we go I take along a wireless router and connect it to the LAN in the room. I then set up my own secured network.

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that sooner, instead of stretching the cable to a convenient place for the laptop. It will make the smartphone faster, too. Verizon reception can be weak in some of the buildings.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that sooner, instead of stretching the cable to a convenient place for the laptop. It will make the smartphone faster, too. Verizon reception can be weak in some of the buildings.

Works pretty slick.

dakotafamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying at the Point next month. Is there wired or wireless internet in the rooms? Thanks!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We will be staying at the Point next month. Is there wired or wireless internet in the rooms? Thanks!

There's wired Internet in each room. Owners get it free, otherwise it's something like $10/day. There is wireless in the lobby. If you have a smart phone, you could tether it to your laptop with PdaNet. Enjoy your stay!

2005-02-22-21-30-3960-M.jpg

dakotafamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's wired Internet in each room. Owners get it free, otherwise it's something like $10/day. There is wireless in the lobby. If you have a smart phone, you could tether it to your laptop with PdaNet. Enjoy your stay!

2005-02-22-21-30-3960-M.jpg

OK..thanks! We are Gold Club owners and our reservation says we will be charged $25 per day for internet, parking, gym fees and local phone calls. They are also charging this at the Kaanapali Beach Club. We were lucky enough to get a deluxe oceanfront villa. Do you have any suggestions on a building request as we have never been to Kauai? Thanks!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK..thanks! We are Gold Club owners and our reservation says we will be charged $25 per day for internet, parking, gym fees and local phone calls. They are also charging this at the Kaanapali Beach Club. We were lucky enough to get a deluxe oceanfront villa. Do you have any suggestions on a building request as we have never been to Kauai? Thanks!
You're unlikely to get any room change, but you should request a corner room. Building priority should be 6 or 4 (closer to the ocean), or 3 or 8 (closer to the parking lot if you don't like to walk). The good news is that all the ocean front rooms are great. Actually, even the garden view rooms are nice.

Neither of our per-arrival confirmations mentioned the resort fees, and we're in the Silver Elite club. You should ask about it when you check in.

dakotafamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're unlikely to get any room change, but you should request a corner room. Building priority should be 6 or 4 (closer to the ocean), or 3 or 8 (closer to the parking lot if you don't like to walk). The good news is that all the ocean front rooms are great. Actually, even the garden view rooms are nice.

Neither of our per-arrival confirmations mentioned the resort fees, and we're in the Silver Elite club. You should ask about it when you check in.

Thanks for the information. Upon reading the reservation a little closer it looks like it is only for renters and exchangers:

Resort Charges:

- Non-Smoking Resort
- Prior to Checking In: Three and four story buildings with elevator access. Maximum occupancy for each of the rooms is - 1-Bedroom = 4, 2-bedroom=6 and 3-bedroom = 8. Please note that these maximum occupancies include infants and children and we cannot exceed maximum occupancy. Please note that a General Excise Tax (GET) and state imposed Transient Occupancy tax, (TOT) will be applicable to all reservations and collected upon check-in. Beginning January 1, 2012 a $25.00/per night Resort fee for all Rental and exchange reservations will be charged. The Resort fee will cover the following. •Internet access •Fitness Center access •Parking •Local calls

We will be staying at the Westin Princeville for 9 days and then go to the Point for a week.

Thanks again!

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
In room internet

When we were there last March, there was a charge for the wired internet and we are owners. When did they stop charging? That is why I was looking at a hotspot.

I don't know this for a fact, but I will bet that the in-room wireless is part of the Water Intrusion Project.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Paul

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is supposed to happen, is they charge the Internet every day. When you check out, if you're an owner, they credit your account for the Internet and local phone call charges. Funny that they don't always remember to do that. They never complain about fixing it, but it delays the check out process.

wwomant

Reaction score

We were there last week and my parents used this idea in their room. Between my parents and my sisters they had four laptops in the room, so it worked great for them. And when my husband and I visited in their room we could bring our laptop too. :)

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
the new 25 dollars per day charge is not supposed to apply to club members.

does anyone know how good sprint service is at the resort? I have a data card service with them and use a wireless router setup with that.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
does anyone know how good sprint service is at the resort? I have a data card service with them and use a wireless router setup with that.

Bad Sprint service in Poipu is the main reason I switched to Verizon several years ago. Sprint may be better now, but Verizon has a large share of the Hawaiian cell phone market market.

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu
the new 25 dollars per day charge is not supposed to apply to club members.

I have Sprint and use my phone(easy tether app) with my laptop at The Point. Very good speeds for download.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bad Sprint service in Poipu is the main reason I switched to Verizon several years ago. Sprint may be better now, but Verizon has a large share of the Hawaiian cell phone market market.

and T-Mobile is virtually non-existent on-site except in the parking lot and the buildings closest to the street.

Dollie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wireless in suites coming by end of April 2012

Just attended the Meet the Manager meeting this morning. Wireless internet in suites to be completed by end of April along with HD TV and more channels.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have Sprint and use my phone(easy tether app) with my laptop at The Point. Very good speeds for download.
Thanks for the confirmation. A buddy just sent me this link to check Sprint coverage: http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:FT:Cov

I am semi-color blind when it comes to the four shades of greens used :) , but I think Poipu goes from Best to Good, with Good being where the Point at Poipu property is actually located at.

It's too bad Sprint does not have 4G coverage at P@P as they seem to have over in Maui (Kaanapali), but I will take good coverager, nevertheless. What's vacation withOUT internet access ??? I canNOT imagine :eek:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just attended the Meet the Manager meeting this morning. Wireless internet in suites to be completed by end of April along with HD TV and more channels.

Great (the TV and channels, not the internet), good timing for our November trip! And time for the resort to work out any bugs :D

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Room Wireless

End of April. That figures, I am there in March!:doh:

If the wired hook-up is free for the owners I can work with that; just bring a router and set it up.:D

Cheers,

Paul

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu
What is supposed to happen, is they charge the Internet every day. When you check out, if you're an owner, they credit your account for the Internet and local phone call charges. Funny that they don't always remember to do that. They never complain about fixing it, but it delays the check out process.

Is this written anywhere? I emailed the Point and they said this was not true that it is $9.95 per 24 hours even for owners.

Al

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Internet is free for Diamond Club Silver Elite and higher. As I understand this is how it's done.

Supposedly, there is no free wired internet for anybody from the resort's point of view. The resort Board of Directors has not voted to make it free for anyone.

Thus every time someone connects to the wired internet in a room, they have to click in the form to accept charges from Oceanic Pacific. That authorizes Oceanic Pacific to charge the resort for the internet connection. The resort billing then immediately creates a charge against the room account for that usage.

If the person is Diamond Club elite or higher, the charge then gets transferred to the Club account, so it becomes an amount owed to the resort by the Club. In essence, for Silver Elite and higher, it's covered in our Club dues.

That's how it was explained to me one time. That was just a conversation with a front desk employee who seemed knowledgeable, so I can't vouch for how accurate it is. But it makes sense in terms of how the process seems to happen mechanically - user has to accept charges, charges go to room account, charges are transferred at checkout.

Is that a case of the Board of Directors doing everything they can to keep resort charges down and deciding that wired hot spots in the lobby is good enough for free owner access? Is it influenced by the sales force to create a benefit that is only available to those who join the Club at the elite status? Is a combination of the two? My guess is "yes", "yes", and "yes".

Last edited:

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu
Internet is free for Diamond Club Silver Elite and higher. As I understand this is how it's done.

Supposedly, there is no free wired internet for anybody from the resort's point of view. The resort Board of Directors has not voted to make it free for anyone.

Thus every time someone connects to the wired internet in a room, they have to click to box to accept charges from Oceanic Pacific. That authorizes Oceanic Pacific to charge the resort for the internet connection. The resort billing then immediately creates a charge against the room account for that usage.

If the person is Diamond Club elite or higher, the charge then gets transferred to the Club account, so it becomes an amount owed to the resort by the Club. In essence, for Silver Elite and higher, it's covered in our Club dues.

That's how it was explained to me one time. That was just a conversation with a front desk employee who seemed knowledgeable, so I can't vouch for how accurate it is. But it makes sense in terms of how the process seems to happen mechanically - user has to accept charges, charges go to room account, charges are transferred at checkout.

Is that a case of the Board of Directors doing everything they can to keep resort charges down and deciding that wired hot spots in the lobby is good enough for free owner access? Is it influenced by the sales force to create a benefit that is only available to those who join the Club at the elite status? Is a combination of the two? My guess is "yes", "yes", and "yes".

Thanks for the explaination. Since I'm not part of the club, I'll continue using my Easytether app:)

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is this written anywhere? I emailed the Point and they said this was not true that it is $9.95 per 24 hours even for owners.
Al

I looked in the Club Benefits Guide (which is available online) and as Steve commented, the free wi-fi applies only to silver, gold and platinum members. I have a silver membership, so it works for me.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked in the Club Benefits Guide (which is available online) and as Steve commented, the free wi-fi applies only to silver, gold and platinum members. I have a silver membership, so it works for me.
When we stayed at the Lake Tahoe Property, I remember one or more times getting a welcome email with the complimentary one-time use (for the stay) wi-fi code because we are Elite with the Club