• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Honeymoon gift

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A friend of our oldest son is getting married in October, and we have RCI deposits to spare, so I offered up a honeymoon exchange. What was I thinking? :wall:

1. Is there an easy way to search on RCI for resorts that are NOT mandatory all-inclusive?
UPDATE: Never mind, found this one....

2. I asked her for her top 5 places she wanted to go, and here's what she came up with, in this order:

Cancun
Puerto Vallarta
Play Del Carmen
Rivera Mayan
Cozumel

If you were sending your kid (this boy is like our son) on a honeymoon, which one would you focus on?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend of our oldest son is getting married in October, and we have RCI deposits to spare, so I offered up a honeymoon exchange. What was I thinking? :wall:

1. Is there an easy way to search on RCI for resorts that are NOT mandatory all-inclusive?

2. I asked her for her top 5 places she wanted to go, and here's what she came up with, in this order:

Cancun
Puerto Vallarta
Play Del Carmen
Rivera Mayan
Cozumel

If you were sending your kid (this boy is like our son) on a honeymoon, which one would you focus on?

Thanks in advance.

It depends on the couple. If they would like a more "authentic" Mexican experiment, I would suggest Cozumel or Puerto Vallarta.

If they want to party, then Cancun.

For beachgoers, Playa Del Carmen.

Newer more luxurious, then Riviera Maya or Playa Del Carmen.

I love Cozumenl the best.

elaine

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
All of these are great choices for a great vacation/honeymoon.

We really like Puerto Vallarta and so do our "kids" who are now 40 - they have been going there with us since they were single and in their mid-20's. I would suggest Buganvilias - RCI Resort #1972 because of the location - it is a short walk to the Malecon. My 2nd & 3rd choices in PV would be the Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta - RCI Resort # 1294 or Raintree's Club Regina (#2659). These are next door to one another and close to lots of resturants and they can also take the bus into Old Town (it is safe and cheap). I would not suggest Nuevo for a first time visit to Puerto Vallarta.

Cancun is fun for the younger set. There are a LOT of all-inclusives there. Club International (#2695), Imperial Fiest Club (1386), are both nice and not A/I. Also next to one another.

Playa del Carmen & Rivieria Maya also have lots of A/I resorts. While I love the Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan, they are too far from Playa del Carmen for a couple on their honeymoon that might want to go into town. From Playa, you can take a ferry to Cozumel for a day trip.

Good luck! I tried this for my nephew last year and they never could decide on a place. She found one in Punta Cana, Dominican Rebublic, that was points (lots) and I only have weeks, so could not get it.

I hope these suggestions are helpful. Click on the link to my pictures and you can see the ones in PV and the MP/GM in Mayan RIviera.

buceo

Reaction score
Cancun is a great vacation spot, "partying" is only one of the many options that can be completely ignored or embraced. If they scuba dive, yes to Cozumel, otherwise next trip maybe. For a honeymoon, if Cancun is their number 1 then that's it. Otherwise for less concrete than Cancun then Playa del Carmen, from there a quick ferry over to Cozumel. I've not been to Puerto Vallarta. The Riviera Maya is fine too, anywhere down the coast from Cancun on. All sound great, can't go wrong I don't think.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What a nice and generous gift for the lucky couple!

Of those choices, my pick for a romantic honeymoon would be Puerto Vallarta. Our kids started going there with us in their teens, and they (and their spouses) still love PV. The beaches aren't as nice as the beaches on the Yucatan, but the old town is wonderfully romantic. There are so many great restaurants for special dinners, and they'll have a wide selection of activities to do in the area. Buganvillas is a good choice in RCI. We also like Club Regina, but it's a bit farther out. The bus system is easy to use, and very inexpensive. Of course, it all depends on how the kids like to vacation. If they just want to hang out at a fancy resort and swim in the pools, and aren't real "explorers", they would probably like the Grand Mayan or Grand Bliss.

To throw another option out there - an easy to get resort area in October (still "wet" season, but definitely sunnier and less humid than PV or the Yucatan) would be Cabo. One of the Pueblo Bonito resorts would be a great choice. PB Blanco and Rose are right on Medano Beach - an easy walk to all the action downtown. PB Sunset Beach (on the ocean, but not a swimmable beach) is a gorgeous (and HUGE!) resort with shuttle service to Rose. Another RCI choice would be Playa Grande on Solmar Beach - walkable to town, but again, not on a swimmable beach.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
To throw another option out there - an easy to get resort area in October (still "wet" season, but definitely sunnier and less humid than PV or the Yucatan) would be Cabo. One of the Pueblo Bonito resorts would be a great choice. PB Blanco and Rose are right on Medano Beach - an easy walk to all the action downtown. PB Sunset Beach (on the ocean, but not a swimmable beach) is a gorgeous (and HUGE!) resort with shuttle service to Rose. Another RCI choice would be Playa Grande on Solmar Beach - walkable to town, but again, not on a swimmable beach.
I agree about Cabo. It is a great spot for a honeymoon.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gosh. I can't see a loser in the bunch. The lucky couple will be thrilled no matter which of the choices they are gifted. It's a honeymoon fer heaven's sake. They won't leave the apartment except for meals for the first few days.

I'd lean towards Puerto Vallarta, but I like the West Coast. Since you (and presumably the recipients) are from the Midwest, I'd check airfares. If it's significantly less expensive, which I suspect, I'd pick Cancun/Playa/Cozumel. If air was similar I'd go for PV. If it was good enough for Liz & Dick it's good enough for your lucky couple.

I'm envious.

Jim

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I would pick Cabo too. For that time of year - rain and hurricanes - I'd rather be in Cabo. If you send them there, choose a resort near town, not on the corridor so they can walk to restaurants, etc.

Deb

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
You didn't say how old they are but I'll assume in their 20's or 30's, so I'll throw another vote for Cabo. I'm 33 and I've been to Cancun, Playa de Carmen, PV, Cozumel, and Cabo and I definitely find Cabo to be the most fun (unless Im scuba diving). Plus you cant go wrong with the weather in Cabo year round.

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score

Cancun
Puerto Vallarta
Play Del Carmen
Rivera Mayan
Cozumel

Thanks in advance.

October is very much hurricane season. I think the resort is more important than the exact location. When I think of a honeymoon I think of privacy, very much!, service and pampering. Not a party place at all!

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more vote for Cabo.
Oct. is hurricane season and flights can be cancelled.
Would not want to worry about hurricane if it's a honeymoon.

nyparadigm

TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote would be for Isla Mujeres, the island just off Cancun.

Perfect beach and everything within walking distance - good food, drink and entertainment. Excellent snorkeling and marvelous sunsets. Intimate and romantic.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stick with the list. Top was Cancun you asked the couple gave you the list. If you try to switch things up it will be awkward. That is hurricane time, but you take that chance wherever you might book. I would think that would give you more available resorts.
Westin Regina is a nice resort and so are all of the Royal resorts, but I do think those exhange with II. You will find something great for them I am sure. Are you close to Kansas City of St. Louis as there are better flights out of those cities.

timesharejunkie4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weatherwise I would choose Cabo for October. IMHO Puerto Vallarta is the most romantic locale. Hurricanes are rarely a factor in PV but it is rainy season and the weather will be hot and humid even if it doesn't rain.