• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holland America's Response to No Sail Order

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As you may know, Canada closed its ports to cruise ships thru June 30th.
The CDC has issued a "No Sail" Order for U.S. ports for up to 100 days
-- starting some time after 4/9/20 --

HAL has not yet cancelled affected cruises going to Canada past May 14th.
Several others have already done so thru 6/30. HAL's website says:

"Holland America Line is aware of the recommendation by the [CDC] to
extend their previously announced “No Sail Order” for cruises announced
on April 9. We are assessing this against our most recent planning and
will be sharing more specific details next week." (emphasis added)

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not sure where the June 19th date comes in. Perhaps that is the 100 day mark mentioned in the CDC order, but there are other criteria that could cause the order to be lifted before 100 days.

This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of three situations;
  • First, the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency.
  • Second, the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations.
  • Or third, 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.
Here is the only order I could find in the Federal Register. It is effective March 14th, but not recorded in the register until March 24th. That would put the dates at 6/22 or 7/2 respectively.

I suspect there is a new order that will take another 9-10 days to be registered.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
What port will HAL will be embarking from and what will be their itinerary?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What port will HAL will be embarking from and what will be their itinerary?

My cruise was on 5/23 from Boston to Montreal, with stops in Bar Harbor & various Canadian ports.

The CDC Media Release & Notices say:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced today the extension of a No Sail Order for all cruise ships.
This order ceases operations of cruise ships in waters in which the United States may exert jurisdiction...
This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of three situations.
(1) Expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency.
(2) The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations.
(3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

Sources: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html and
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are just trying to cut their losses and figure out what to do. Disney was really slow with their cancellations and refunds, too. It's annoying, but you have to wait it out.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They are just trying to cut their losses and figure out what to do. Disney was really slow with their cancellations and refunds, too. It's annoying, but you have to wait it out.
The same is true of the airlines. The cruise lines know they will have to cancel for some period of time. They don't want to cancel now for all cruises through the end of June. That would mean a lot of refunds or offerning people incentive future cruise credit to not pull their money out. THey will continue to dribble out cancellations, waiting to the last minute to do so. The cruise lines are hurinting for cash. Sure Carnival Corp (who owns HAL) did go out and secure $6Billion, but they don't know how long they need to make that cash last.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

Disney only has 3 ships to deal with. Not sure why they were so slow with communication

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Disney only has 3 ships to deal with. Not sure why they were so slow with communication
I think they have four. Either way, not nearly as many as the other lines.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
A cruise that hasn't been cancelled might still sail--even if it probably won't. And the CDC order does have some potential ways out early. But, once a cruise is cancelled, the revenue from that cruise is gone. So, I suspect they are trying to cancel as few as they can, as late as they can.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
My June 13-27 on MSC Seaside have not been cancelled yet by the cruise line. They are just waiting so they can hold on as long as possible to our payments. What sucks is final payment was 3 weeks ago and now I will probably have to wait at least a month or 2 to get my refund.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My June 13-27 on MSC Seaside have not been cancelled yet by the cruise line. They are just waiting so they can hold on as long as possible to our payments. What sucks is final payment was 3 weeks ago and now I will probably have to wait at least a month or 2 to get my refund.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
We have a final payment coming up at the end of the month with NCL for an August cruise. They won't be getting our final payment. We haven't cancelled the cruise yet though. Good thing, kind of, for us is that we paid with Cruise Next certificates. So we won't have to wait on a refund. Lets just hope they stay solvent so we don't lose the money tied up n Cruise Next certificates.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My cruise was on 5/23 from Boston to Montreal, with stops in Bar Harbor & various Canadian ports.

The CDC Media Release & Notices say:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced today the extension of a No Sail Order for all cruise ships.
This order ceases operations of cruise ships in waters in which the United States may exert jurisdiction...
This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of three situations.
(1) Expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency.
(2) The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations.
(3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

Sources: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html and
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html
The cruise from Boston to Montreal is really nice. We also stop in Bar Harbor, Maine and several other Canadian ports. Montreal is a beautiful city IMO.
wishing you smooth sailings and good luck.