• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Travel Plans

Duketime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I do think in Canada the virus has been a little less politicized than in the states we are far from perfect. Alberta (my province) now has numbers as high as Ontario which has 3 times the population. Because of the high numbers I saw no one other than people in my household for my birthday. I have cancelled trips since March but actually managed to visit a few Canadian timeshares (all drivable) in the summer when numbers were low. Mainly cooked or ate outside if we went out. I have seen a few friends usually outside and one week between seeing other people in case there is a problem. I have not seen my husband's family since February. The siblings have been together (always masked) to try and sort the contents of their mother's house so it can be sold. I do teach (at a very small private school) so I go out every day but have been attempting less stops for groceries or anything else. With the numbers as high as they are the only activities we will be partaking in will be outside. The good news is both of my adult children live at home.
Stay safe everyone
AJCts411 stated that Canada is worse off than the US - not sure where that came from by as far as Average daily positives, per million, compared to the US States, there are 43 US States (as of today) that are ahead of the FIRST Canadian Province. #1 is North Dakota at 1,352 per million, #43 is New York at 319.6 per million... and ONLY then does the first Canadian province appear, Alberta, at 296.3 per million. The Province of Quebec at #49 has only 146 per million, while California, about the same population, has 346 per million. No - Canada's stats are far better than the US. But - it is NOT a competition. It is how the HUMAN population participates to aid other humans and to overcome this virus. Millions are doing their part, but, sadly, millions are not because they have politicized this by making what is required a contravention of their civil liberties. Civil liberties? You won't have any when you are dead!

timesharer

Reaction score
38 percent of Americans planning on having Thanksgiving dinner with 10 or more people
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps they did not realize how bad Covid was in November:
>200,000 new cases were reported in the United States and > 1400 death daily

TOTAL REPORTED ON NOV. 27 14-DAY CHANGE
Cases 13.3 million 205,460 +17%
Deaths 265,919 1,412 +36%
Hospitalized 89,834 +40%
Covid in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Last edited:

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
AJCts411 stated that Canada is worse off than the US - not sure where that came from by as far as Average daily positives, per million, compared to the US States, there are 43 US States (as of today) that are ahead of the FIRST Canadian Province. #1 is North Dakota at 1,352 per million, #43 is New York at 319.6 per million... and ONLY then does the first Canadian province appear, Alberta, at 296.3 per million. The Province of Quebec at #49 has only 146 per million, while California, about the same population, has 346 per million. No - Canada's stats are far better than the US. But - it is NOT a competition. It is how the HUMAN population participates to aid other humans and to overcome this virus. Millions are doing their part, but, sadly, millions are not because they have politicized this by making what is required a contravention of their civil liberties. Civil liberties? You won't have any when you are dead!

Since you asked, the info was from a linear chart comparing the number of confirmed Covid cases, per capita, weekly. Not a running total.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We didn't have Thanksgiving dinner with daughter & SIL, but exchanged dishes with them. Turkey & stuffing and some raw ingredients from me, and in return got mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and 2 kinds of dessert. I think I got better end of the exchange :)

DH and I plan to drive to Palm Desert for Xmas week. Will follow our std practices: distancing, masks, disinfecting etc.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Well, our holiday plans are now up in the air.

We just found out my mother is being sent across the country to Toronto for surgery on Dec. 14th, so I am going to accompany her and my father as they won't be familiar with the city or airports there. She has been waiting for about 9 months now - and they just called this past Monday. The Dr's are wanting to get it done before the start shutting down out-of-province surgeries (there is only one hospital in Canada that does this particular surgery). She likely won't be back in Edmonton before the New Year. I won't actually be able to visit her in the hospital due to their visitor rules - so I'll likely head back home the week before Christmas once my dad is settled and familiar with Toronto. My sister also can't come up from MN because of border/quarantine issues (she has applied for a compassionate exception and was denied).

Our trip to see my wife's family in California over Christmas is likely going to be thrown out the window (perhaps a good thing considering the new potential CA restrictions).

As a side note, if anyone knows of a good place in downtown Toronto to pick up a small Christmas tree (under 3 ft) to decorate my dad's hotel room, please let me know.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Since you asked, the info was from a linear chart comparing the number of confirmed Covid cases, per capita, weekly. Not a running total.

Perhaps you could post this linear chart? What you are suggesting certainly doesn't jive with the info I have been following. I have attached the link below that I am using to track this info. It is a current, not a cumulative total. It ranks the average number of new daily cases over the last week per million of population, for each state in the USA, plus DC, and the 10 Canadian provinces and 3 territories. Alberta currently has the highest rate in Canada, but is still lower than 80% of US jurisdictions.

I'm certainly not going to sit here and say that what we are doing here in Canada is perfect by any means, especially with the recent trends in Alberta and a surge in cases right across the country. However, it definitely appears to indicate, on a per capita basis, that most jurisdictions in Canada are doing much better at controlling Covid-19 than most jurisdictions in the USA. That is just a statement of fact, not a reason for judgment.

Last edited:

Duketime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you could post this linear chart? What you are suggesting certainly doesn't jive with the info I have been following. I have attached the link below that I am using to track this info. It is a current, not a cumulative total. It ranks the average number of new daily cases over the last week per million of population, for each state in the USA, plus DC, and the 10 Canadian provinces and 3 territories. Alberta currently has the highest rate in Canada, but is still lower than 80% of US jurisdictions.

I'm certainly not going to sit here and say that what we are doing here in Canada is perfect by any means, especially with the recent trends in Alberta and a surge in cases right across the country. However, it definitely appears to indicate, on a per capita basis, that most jurisdictions in Canada are doing much better at controlling Covid-19 than most jurisdictions in the USA. That is just a statement of fact, not a reason for judgment.

Yes... my stats corroborate what you say.. Canada is way down the list compared to most US States... and I feel that it is because, although we are NOT perfect by any means, we take social distancing and NOT gathering in public places like restos and bars, seriously. Many Provinces have shut gyms, restaurants, etc.. for good reason. In the States, not happening. Price being paid. Just the facts.

exco

Reaction score
The Thanksgiving surge in coronavirus deaths is here. It's 'horrifically awful,' a hospital chaplain said. (msn.com)

"This unprecedented and tragic surge in fatalities is, in part, a product of pandemic fatigue, cold weather that has led people indoors, and the patchwork nature state policies on masks and closures - many of which are quite lax. But these recent record-breaking days of death, in particular, are the result of infections contracted around Thanksgiving. Despite CDC warnings to the contrary, an NPR analysis of mobile phone data found that 13% of Americans ventured more than 31 miles from home on Thanksgiving Day. That's not a huge drop from last year, when it was 17%."

Hope everyone will stay safe (e.g. wearing mask, practicing social distancing, ..etc.) and there will be no Christmas surge.

Last edited: