• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Travel Plans

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having thanksgiving with ds and dil who are flying in from Albuquerque and youngest Ds and his girlfriend who
Live an hour away. My grandson is flying up with his uncle and will stay with his dad through xmas. One bright spot with covid is since gs is remote learning his dad gets him for thanksgiving and christmas.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
It's just DH and me. He's in charge of the turkey since my last two turkeys have been turkeys:oops:. We had planned on spending Thanksgiving with his sister & immediate family (9 of us in total) but canned our plans. Still hopeful to travel to the Charleston SC area to spend Christmas with our daughter and her family. Time will tell....

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
We are going to Palm Desert tomorrow for 8 days. We are meeting my wife's brothers family. My SIL has early onset Alzheimer and is stage 7D so this may be the last we see of her. It is very sad and a big challenge for my BIL so anything we can do to help him we do. They have 2 HS age daughters. We thought of cancelling but it would be devastating for them so we are going to be extra careful. My wife has been back to see them and help out several times during the Pandemic.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m so sorry you’re feeling this way. 2020 has been so hard on so many people. Know that you are loved and cared for by all your TUGGER friends, Cornell. ❤️❤️

Will you be able to spend the holidays with your daughter? Did she decide on a college yet? I know you were taking a few trips to look around at potential places.

I'm staying put and will be having the most lame holidays ever.

I wish I could jump over them entirely.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m sure it was a difficult decision for your family but it will be a truly special time for all of you. Alzheimer’s is a terrible, terrible disease. Sending you prayers for a safe and wonderful holiday.

We are going to Palm Desert tomorrow for 8 days. We are meeting my wife's brothers family. My SIL has early onset Alzheimer and is stage 7D so this may be the last we see of her. It is very sad and a big challenge for my BIL so anything we can do to help him we do. They have 2 HS age daughters. We thought of cancelling but it would be devastating for them so we are going to be extra careful. My wife has been back to see them and help out several times during the Pandemic.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying home and I assumed that none of our extended family wouldn't want to have a Thanksgiving, but it turns out at least one person wants to have it. We are still on the fence about that, but I won't be seeing any of kids, which is the only thing that I like about Thanksgiving. I think I will wrangle them into a Zoom visit, even though all of us hate Zoom.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'm staying put and will be having the most lame holidays ever.

I wish I could jump over them entirely.

I have felt that way a lot of times before this COVID nightmare even started. Holidays can be depressing.

I hope you can find some light during this crazy time. Not easy, I know.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I have worked the last 2 Thanksgivings. This year my sister cancelled since her DH is high risk. The flu 2 years ago killed 70% of DBIL’s heart. She doesn’t believe he would survive Covid. They have been hiding since last March. Hopefully a vaccine will restore their lives.

We are currently in Oregon leave tomorrow for Idaho for 3 days then back to NorCal to pack up by Nov 30 th and move home to SoCal. We have been invited to a friends house for Thanksgiving in NorCal. We will definitely attend with gratitude. We have no idea how many they are having, but since we have been there several times and had DH retirement party there with 100 plus ( outside) we aren’t worried. As 2 former essential workers we are ok with the risks.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Cornell, I SO GET IT. :) The kids will be at their dad's next week. It's a crazy week at Target for me anyway. So I will make myself a little turkey breast, have the scalloped potatoes that I prefer to mashed since I'm the only one eating them, and eat way too much pie. :) It will be okay. Hoping to head to our timeshare in NH 12/25.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Cornell, I SO GET IT. :) The kids will be at their dad's next week. It's a crazy week at Target for me anyway. So I will make myself a little turkey breast, have the scalloped potatoes that I prefer to mashed since I'm the only one eating them, and eat way too much pie. :) It will be okay. Hoping to head to our timeshare in NH 12/25.

XMAS at Cold Spring? Awesome! Let me know if you are there. We could socially distance for a short while maybe?

And try to enjoy your Thanksgiving. Tough year for you as well. Add wine to accompany the pie!;)

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m so sorry you’re feeling this way. 2020 has been so hard on so many people. Know that you are loved and cared for by all your TUGGER friends, Cornell. ❤❤

Will you be able to spend the holidays with your daughter? Did she decide on a college yet? I know you were taking a few trips to look around at potential places.
Thank you Jan. I will be spending a quiet day w/my daughter. My heart just hurts that I cannot see my mom and knowing she will be alone. And she'll be alone @ Christmas too. I keep thinking "what if this is her last set of holidays alive?".

And yes, we had a lot of fun exploring new places for colleges . Applications are all in ....now we just wait.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancelled the kids coming (thought we could do testing and visit......but too complicated). We'll have Thanksgiving just the 2 of us and then leave (one very long drive) for two weeks in Captiva, FL....hoping it is pretty empty the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas...... and counting on warm & sunny, for a new view in isolation.

** We will be at the Plantation Beach Club condo's in South Seas Resort.....these are low density, low rise condo's, directly on the beach. I'll have cleaning/sanitizing supplies to use when we check in. We will bring most of our food, lots of books, our bikes, our own beach chairs/umbrella & use a food delivery service to restock. No plans to socialize, eat out, swim in large resort pool or participate in activities (don't know if they're even happening). Hopefully this is about as safe a "vacation" as we can arrange. (Thank goodness we did our fly to St Thomas Marriott Cove vacation the beginning of January before this all began).

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Cancelled the kids coming (thought we could do testing and visit......but too complicated). We'll have Thanksgiving just the 2 of us and then leave (one very long drive) for two weeks in Captiva, FL....hoping it is pretty empty the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas...... and counting on warm & sunny, for a new view in isolation.
It’s not really empty here in Florida, Most places are open and people are coming down here because of the nice weather. Can do lots of outside activities. We wear mask and social distance. You will have fun!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s not really empty here in Florida, Most places are open and people are coming down here because of the nice weather. Can do lots of outside activities. We wear mask and social distance. You will have fun!
I was in Pensacola 2weeks ago for dd's baby shower and we went to lunch and ended up a a seafood festival. I was surprised to see so few masks and no social distancing. My sil is a conspiracy guy and won't wear a mask.....I still wore my mask...all the people made me really uncomfortable

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cornell, I’m so sorry about your mom. I understand completely how you feel. I lost my mom last December and as much as that hurts I’m so grateful she is not having to live with all this craziness. She would never have been able to understand why I could t see her.

I don’t know the situation with your mom but is it possible to FaceTime or Zoom with her? It won’t be the same as being together but maybe it will bring her some happiness. God bless you both - this is such a hard situation.
Thank you Jan. I will be spending a quiet day w/my daughter. My heart just hurts that I cannot see my mom and knowing she will be alone. And she'll be alone @ Christmas too. I keep thinking "what if this is her last set of holidays alive?".

And yes, we had a lot of fun exploring new places for colleges . Applications are all in ....now we just wait.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like a few others, we will also be in Palm Desert next week.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taking the family on a 7-day ski vacation beginning Jan. 1 (go figure, considering my handle).

I have had no concerns since the beginning of Covid-19 last March. As I posted then, "People just need to get a grip and go on vacation."

I have been on at least a half-dozen WorldMark vacations since the resorts opened last summer. No problems; lots of good times.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines

Ugh! So sorry :(
My head was there earlier this year. My parents are mid-80's and my dad still goes to work 6 days a week. it's just his thing. So, my mom runs his errands for him and they both attend the Town Council meetings which I see on line.

I had to buy a plane ticket last summer to get back and see them and Son2 and his wife and their new house. When I bought the ticket, I wasn't sure if I'd be seeing them all by just peeking through their windows and staying at a hotel. All worked out well and had a fantastic visit. Helped my mom shopped for new furniture for the new office my dad is building.

On the other hand, my plans for the rest of the year? Holing up here and working. I've been doing holidays solo for YEARS. I got my practice early thanks to the visitation rules back in the day. Now, I work the holidays. It's too hard to get the time off. Besides, I want my co-workers with families to be able to have that time.

My daughter-in-laws have to spend the holidays with their families every year (which I think is baloney), so it's a relief to be out of the picture. Spent years dealing with the ex-husband and all that nonsense. If it's going to be a tug-of-war, I will let go of the rope every time! I could not be happier in the sunshine with a pool nearby.

I didn't think life would be like this, but I can roll with it :)
No regrets! Meeting up for a hike on Turkey day. Love the freedom of not having to stress about all the expectations. Life is good!

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
XMAS at Cold Spring? Awesome! Let me know if you are there. We could socially distance for a short while maybe?

And try to enjoy your Thanksgiving. Tough year for you as well. Add wine to accompany the pie!;)
Yes. I own week 49 there, which is usually the week between Christmas and New Year's. (They have a slightly different calendar than most places, due to two shutdown weeks for maintenance during the year.) The unit I own is a 2BR/1BA sleeps 6. I traded for a 2BR/2BA sleeps 8, so that no one has to sleep on the couch. We check in Christmas evening. I have worked at least 70 hours a week since school started back up. VERY ready for a break! I'd love to see you at some point that week. We'll talk about it as we get closer to time. <3

Whether with family or celebrating the holiday alone, there is ALWAYS something to be thankful for. Thanksgiving is going to be different, but I'm going to choose to be content. :)

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
No Thanksgiving this year. With only 2 of us, turkey & trimmings are inconsequential. Probably I'll make or get a pie, 'cause that's my favorite part of the meal anyway.

Christmas Day we drive to Palm Desert for a week at Marriott DSVII. Our son will join us in the lock-off portion of the 2BR, so we can observe total or partial social distance. If curfew still is in effect, 10pm until 5am, I'm sound asleep then anyway. If restaurants are open, we'll look for patios.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
No group Thanksgiving this year. No big family Christmas Eve. Usually my immediate family for Thanksgiving but Christmas was always my 3 brothers, 1 sister and hoards of our kids and grandkids.

This has been a tradition since I was a kid at my Grandparents house with aunts, uncles and cousins.

Hoping to resume next year ;)

Cheers and best wishes to all.

Duketime

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I do not get - it seems that up here in Canada we are taking the pandemic much more seriously than those in the States. We seriously wear masks, isolate, refrain from going out, or seeing people. This is what it takes to STOP the pandemic. Unfortunately millions of people disagree and threaten the health of the rest of us. NO ONE should be travelling, even to see family. TOUGH IT OUT. Sadly we put our time share for exchange this year for later as we recognize that travelling to the States is a clear endangerment of our health, and the health of others. That is what gets me... people say "Oh.. I'm healthy, I'll be OK" completely self absorbed position that does not recognizes the danger they make for OTHERS! the selfishness of people having this view point is disgusting. EVERYONE must do their part to stop this pandemic !! That includes CANCELLING all travel plans until some future vaccine takes effect. Period. The people who who do not agree with this point are the problem. They don't get it. This is the worst crisis in 100 years in the WORLD, and they fluff it off. Oh well... I'm doing my part. See y'all on the other side - of the Pandemic that is!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This is what I do not get - it seems that up here in Canada we are taking the pandemic much more seriously than those in the States. We seriously wear masks, isolate, refrain from going out, or seeing people. This is what it takes to STOP the pandemic. Unfortunately millions of people disagree and threaten the health of the rest of us. NO ONE should be travelling, even to see family. TOUGH IT OUT. Sadly we put our time share for exchange this year for later as we recognize that travelling to the States is a clear endangerment of our health, and the health of others. That is what gets me... people say "Oh.. I'm healthy, I'll be OK" completely self absorbed position that does not recognizes the danger they make for OTHERS! the selfishness of people having this view point is disgusting. EVERYONE must do their part to stop this pandemic !! That includes CANCELLING all travel plans until some future vaccine takes effect. Period. The people who who do not agree with this point are the problem. They don't get it. This is the worst crisis in 100 years in the WORLD, and they fluff it off. Oh well... I'm doing my part. See y'all on the other side - of the Pandemic that is!
Please don't lump everyone in the U.S. together. We wear masks when out, socially distance, only go out when necessary. I know many, many people who are doing the same.

pauljeffrey10

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually we cook for entire family here in NJ. Not this only. Only my son is coming after he receives his negative result from COVID test.
Sad, but better sad than in ICU.