• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Club Vacations - Owner update

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We just attended an owner update meeting at the Oak 'N Spruce Resort. I was curious, because we had just converted from Silverleaf on Sept 01 of this year so what was the new angle going to be?

Well here it is:

I expected the first thing they would try is to get to push us to the "next level" at 500,000 points and I was right. What I didn't expect was the pushing of the Signature Club access.

Here is how it goes:

Even if you are Elite Status, you can't get access to some Signature resorts/units (I suspect this is said because if you are going for a high demand season stay, you probably can't get a reservation in front of the home owners. Small truth applied to the general case making it a big lie) I could solve this "problem" today only, by buying Signature Club points which would "Signaturize" our existing points and give us 13 months access to all Signature Club properties.

The hook was all new units being built would be Signature Club units, so that the only way we could have access was to use this "trick" to gain access without having to purchase enough "official" Signature Club points.

1st offer: Buying 135K SC points outright to bring us to 500K - ~$60K
2nd offer: Buying 135K pints to bring us to 500K - ~$33K
3rd offer (today only, we don't normally do this): Buying 50K SC points to "Signaturize" us - $13K

We passed and took the $100 in food vouchers.

Any opinions on access to Signature units?

sehansen2

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV - Cape Canaveral
HICV - Lake Geneva
HICV - Marco Island
We stumbled into signature ownership early on in our HICV resort ownership lives, so our points are 'signaturized'. The only signature resort we have stayed in is the Marco Island property where there isn't another option. Our opinion is that the signature units aren't worth the extra points. If you want a truly high end stay and you spend a lot of time in your room, then maybe it could be worth it, but that's not how we vacation. We'd rather use our points to extend our time on vacation than to enhance our luxury. To each their own though.

With that said, as they are only building signature at this time, we do get concerned that access to regular units will become more difficult. Some day we might be happy that we have signature status for the flexibility, but I'm pretty sure at this time it's not worth it.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which is the Marco island resort?

Shap

Reaction score
We just attended an owner update at the Fox River resort in Sheridan IL. We had previously owned a fixed week in Orange Lake Orlando for about 10 years, recently gave those units away (since virtually no value for a fixed week), then bought transferable resale points from South Beach (476,000 HICV points, but no status). At the owner update, they would not bring our points into status unless we paid $35k for an additional 222,000 points (supposedly the original developer price). We said know and offered to buy 24k points at their current rate if $0.30/pt, if they would bring our other points into status. They declined. They did offer to convert our regular points to signature points, signaturizing even our resale points if we bought the minimum set of signature points (50k) at the current signature rate of $0.40/pt (our sales rep said about $10-$12k, but the math didn't add up). Based on our understanding, and their marketing, we understand this perk only gives us the ability to book advance signature collection, but nothing else (ex: status). Any thoughts on better opportunities or to gain status for our nearly 500k points?

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What do you hope to gain from status that you are not getting from your current membership?

You're correct in stating that the math doesn't work out unless you strongly desire better access to the Signature Collection.

At that level, a small purchase would take you to Premier level with the most tangible benefits being:
  • 2 free upgrades
  • 15% advance reservation discount
  • 4 nights stay (2018, idk for 2019)
If you Signaturize your account, the 6 mo early access to the Signature Collection is moot. When they offered to Signaturize your accounts, would that have brought them into status?

How much is that worth to you? Will it make your use of the existing product any better or is it just a marketing brass ring to grab?

Shap

Reaction score
If I bought a small set of signature points (50k min required per the presentation), then the sales rep said all my resale points (476k) would be signaturized with the new 50k points (526k total signature points with no status = Regular Member), but I would not gain status on those points (ex: if I bought all points from a developer, then I would be at Premier level (500k+ points).

Has anyone been able to sucessfully convert resale points and gain status (ex: Preferred, Premier, etc) through any other route? Our only route, based on the sales rep, was to bring our resale points into "the club" with a minimum purchase amount of $35k. I am curious if our offer would have been any different at another resort, especially one that allows transfer of resale points such as Myrtle Beach, Gatlinburg, or Lake Geneva.

Our points are very good now, but I am interested in addition potential perks such as free upgrades and free stays without having to buy more resale points and pay additional maintenance. Thoughts?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our points are very good now, but I am interested in addition potential perks such as free upgrades and free stays without having to buy more resale points and pay additional maintenance. Thoughts?
IMO, those perks aren't worth the cost. I'd stand pat, take the goodies at the presentations and you might run across a situation where they might want to make a deal. Make it known what you want, if they can't make it reasonable, cash out at the 90 minute mark (or whatever they stated at check in).

Shap

Reaction score
IMO, those perks aren't worth the cost. I'd stand pat, take the goodies at the presentations and you might run across a situation where they might want to make a deal. Make it known what you want, if they can't make it reasonable, cash out at the 90 minute mark (or whatever they stated at check in).

I was finally able to make a deal with Holiday Inn Club Vacation (HICV) for both status and to become part of the Signature program (10 month access window). I went to the South Beach resort (Myrtle Beach) in May 2019 and was able to finally get a deal. I did what you mentioned and stated my intent up front...essentially to obtain Signature status and to obtain membership status (e.g. Premier Platinum). I told them I wasn't interested in seeing new units or getting a tour. As an aside, I had never been to the resort, but I did own two units there. To recap my prior post, I had previously purchased two resale points units at Myrtle Beach (476k total) after giving away the 3 bedroom fixed unit I had owned for several years at Orange Lake Orlando (East VIllage).

Here's a summary of what I was offered during my presentation:
  • Originally they proposed some outrageous option that would cost around $200,000 to essentially buy a new Signature Point unit at full price, combine it with one of my existing higher weeks (I had a 300k point week and 176k points week - both from resale) to get most of my points into "the system". I mentioned that I am not interested in "Sticker Shock prices" and instead wanted a realisitc opiton or I was planning to leave the presentation.
  • After some time (visits to the back office, waiting around and many delays), they worked some magic and suddently they could do both (Signaturize account, plus gain status), for only $37,000 giving me Signature and Premier Platinum status since I was already close at 476k points. They claimed to wanted to give me equity from the original purchases (my resale vs original owner's cost?). In this scenario, they would conert my "resale points" to "corporate points", but the new rate was $0.42/point vs $0.30/point. That actually didn't seem bad, but I was still reluctant to pay $37,000 for a couple real perks such as "access" to Signature and then a 6-night yearly complimentary stay (in addition to some other mediocre benefits). I told them if there was a reasonable deal, that I would do it, but I'm not going to overpay for the perks. I told them my price point was about $10,000 and that I would make a deal if they could get it close to that number.
  • Next, they offered to only Signaturize the account, and said they could do it for $20,000 which would get me 75k Signature Points. At the time, the salesman said it was the lowest number of Signature points that could be sold. That offer seemed okay, but I believe it was about $5,000 more than they offered previously at one of our recent vacations (I don't recall if it was Gatlinburg TN or Sheridan IL) for the same number of points ($/point). I immediately declined and planned to walk out; however, on the other hand if they brought me a final deal that was not offensive that I would pay it immediately.
  • Finally, after a lot of "drama" (more discussion from the salesperson, calls back to headquarters, wanting to make deals from their side, etc.), they came back with their best and offer. The salesman claimed he got HQ to approve a waiver to sell me 45,000 Signature points to Signaturize my entire account for $12,000. At the time, he said it was not a signature deed, but it would signaturize my account. I decided to accept this deal!

When we went to closing, I reviewed the paperwork and saw that the club was actually going to not only signaturize my account for $12,000, but they also specified that I would actually be receiving status as well. The closing agent thought there was an error in the paperwork so she called the HQ to verify. The corporate office did confirm that we were going to give me Premier Platinum status since my account was now over 500,000 points with the new Signature purchase. The closing agent said that I was now not only getting a "great" deal, but an "amazing" deal. I'm still not sure if there was an error (originally) in the deal from the corporate side, or if it would have happened anyway. It's sometimes hard to distinguish between sales techniques, perceived scare tactics, and actual feedback from the corporate HQ office (if they even were making calls back to Florida). In either case, I think I got a good deal.

Although I had already used the new upgrades and free 6-night stay that were added to my account, I didn't post this update until now because I had not received my new deed in the mail. It turns out that the new deed is a signature deed and all appears to be accurate wtih the account. I have also already used a couple ugrades for 2020, so all appears well.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
I was finally able to make a deal with Holiday Inn Club Vacation (HICV) for both status and to become part of the Signature program (10 month access window). I went to the South Beach resort (Myrtle Beach) in May 2019 and was able to finally get a deal. I did what you mentioned and stated my intent up front...essentially to obtain Signature status and to obtain membership status (e.g. Premier Platinum). I told them I wasn't interested in seeing new units or getting a tour. As an aside, I had never been to the resort, but I did own two units there. To recap my prior post, I had previously purchased two resale points units at Myrtle Beach (476k total) after giving away the 3 bedroom fixed unit I had owned for several years at Orange Lake Orlando (East VIllage).

• Originally they proposed some outrageous option that would cost around $200,000 to essentially buy a new Signature Point unit at full price, combine it with one of my existing higher weeks (I had a 300k point week and 176k points week - both from resale) to get most of my points into "the system". I mentioned that I am not interested in "Sticker Shock prices" and instead wanted a realisitc opiton or I was planning to leave the presentation.
  • After some time (visits to the back office, waiting around and many delays), they worked some magic and suddently they could do both (Signaturize account, plus gain status), for only $37,000 giving me Signature and Premier Platinum status since I was already close at 476k points. They claimed to wanted to give me equity from the original purchases (my resale vs original owner's cost?). In this scenario, they would conert my "resale points" to "corporate points", but the new rate was $0.42/point vs $0.30/point. That actually didn't seem bad, but I was still reluctant to pay $37,000 for a couple real perks such as "access" to Signature and then a 6-night yearly complimentary stay (in addition to some other mediocre benefits). I told them if there was a reasonable deal, that I would do it, but I'm not going to overpay for the perks. I told them my price point was about $10,000 and that I would make a deal if they could get it close to that number.
  • Next, they offered to only Signaturize the account, and said they could do it for $20,000 which would get me 75k Signature Points. At the time, the salesman said it was the lowest number of Signature points that could be sold. That offer seemed okay, but I believe it was about $5,000 more than they offered previously at one of our recent vacations (I don't recall if it was Gatlinburg TN or Sheridan IL) for the same number of points ($/point). I immediately declined and planned to walk out; however, on the other hand if they brought me a final deal that was not offensive that I would pay it immediately.
  • Finally, after a lot of "drama" (more discussion from the salesperson, calls back to headquarters, wanting to make deals from their side, etc.), they came back with their best and offer. The salesman claimed he got HQ to approve a waiver to sell me 45,000 Signature points to Signaturize my entire account for $12,000. At the time, he said it was not a signature deed, but it would signaturize my account. I decided to accept this deal!

When we went to closing, I reviewed the paperwork and saw that the club was actually going to not only signaturize my account for $12,000, but they also specified that I would actually be receiving status as well. The closing agent thought there was an error in the paperwork so she called the HQ to verify. The corporate office did confirm that we were going to give me Premier Platinum status since my account was now over 500,000 points with the new Signature purchase. The closing agent said that I was now not only getting a "great" deal, but an "amazing" deal. I'm still not sure if there was an error (originally) in the deal from the corporate side, or if it would have happened anyway. It's sometimes hard to distinguish between sales techniques, perceived scare tactics, and actual feedback from the corporate HQ office (if they even were making calls back to Florida). In either case, I think I got a good deal.

Although I had already used the new upgrades and free 6-night stay that were added to my account, I didn't post this update until now because I had not received my new deed in the mail. It turns out that the new deed is a signature deed and all appears to be accurate wtih the account. I have also already used a couple ugrades for 2020, so all appears well.[/QUOTE

Did you give back the two Myrtle Beach Resorts? Do you own all Trust points now?

Shap

Reaction score
"Did you give back the two Myrtle Beach Resorts? Do you own all Trust points now?"

No, I did not have to trade in my existing Myrtle Beach Resort contracts when I made the deal in May 2019. I just added a new Signature contract; only the new Signature contract is now in the Trust. When I went to previous timeshare presentations at Orange Lake Orlando, Sheridan IL and in Gatlinburg TN, they did want us to trade our existing weeks (fixed week previously ~ March 2018, points weeks recently ~ December 2018 and March 2019) for a complete inventory that was Trust only; however, we did not pursue any of these offers because the cost was too high.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
"Did you give back the two Myrtle Beach Resorts? Do you own all Trust points now?"

No, I did not have to trade in my existing Myrtle Beach Resort contracts when I made the deal in May 2019. I just added a new Signature contract; only the new Signature contract is now in the Trust. When I went to previous timeshare presentations at Orange Lake Orlando, Sheridan IL and in Gatlinburg TN, they did want us to trade our existing weeks (fixed week previously ~ March 2018, points weeks recently ~ December 2018 and March 2019) for a complete inventory that was Trust only; however, we did not pursue any of these offers because the cost was too high.
You seemed to make out great, congrats!

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score

Although I had already used the new upgrades and free 6-night stay that were added to my account, I didn't post this update until now because I had not received my new deed in the mail. It turns out that the new deed is a signature deed and all appears to be accurate wtih the account. I have also already used a couple ugrades for 2020, so all appears well.

Excellent recap and deal - I would pay $12K for Signature with status (I would do it at 1M and get Elite though). My belief (which this seems to confirm) is that any purchase will give your current points status - it's just a question of whether they will be willing to sell you a small unit if you own hundreds of thousands of points.

-Scott
Owner, HICV Tapatalk Group

Learnedhardway

TUG Member
Reaction score
This seems to be a good place to ask this question. I went through most of this when I converted from Silverleaf. I did ok, but as always I could have done better. I would like to know the difference between a HICV preferred membership and a HICV Platinum preferred membership. I am regular signature preferred, but I can't see difference between it and platinum and I am not sure why I am not platinum. It seems to be costing me a few dollars in perks. Not worth the money to upgrade I know, but I still wonder what the difference is.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This seems to be a good place to ask this question. I went through most of this when I converted from Silverleaf. I did ok, but as always I could have done better. I would like to know the difference between a HICV preferred membership and a HICV Platinum preferred membership. I am regular signature preferred, but I can't see difference between it and platinum and I am not sure why I am not platinum. It seems to be costing me a few dollars in perks. Not worth the money to upgrade I know, but I still wonder what the difference is.
To be platinum you would have had to have bought some points directly from HICV after May of last year.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
The hand written numbers are what regular levels get.

Attachments

• 2019 Platinum Member Level Vs Current Level.pdf
    948.2 KB · Views: 190

Grnmn1

Reaction score
We are about to go to our first ownership update session next week at Oak and Spruce. They said it was required before we start using our club points. (Is this true?)
I was expecting an actual orientation to our club ownership (that's what they initially introduced it as), but after reading this thread I'm getting the feeling that I should expect otherwise.
My spouse and I don't plan on purchasing/upgrading anything. Is this a good idea, or are our current club points next to useless otherwise?
We have to bring our 1 year old son, so we are trying to just get this thing done as quick as possible, and just try to go out and explore the surroundings a bit and/or the pool.
Also, any recs on what to do (nature-wise) around this resort? Thank you guys!!!

Reaction score
We are about to go to our first ownership update session next week at Oak and Spruce. They said it was required before we start using our club points. (Is this true?)
(SNIP)
My spouse and I don't plan on purchasing/upgrading anything. Is this a good idea, or are our current club points next to useless otherwise?
Simply put, anything any timeshare salesman tells you is a lie. If you go to the ownership "update", it is nothing more than the salesman wanting you to buy more. That's all. Or, you could decline the update and enjoy your stay! No matter what they say, an update is optional.

TS

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We are about to go to our first ownership update session next week at Oak and Spruce ........

suggestion -[SKIP IT & spend the time exploring the area]

just try to go out and explore the surroundings a bit and/or the pool.
Also, any recs on what to do (nature-wise) around this resort? Thank you guys!!!

lots of fall colour
Stockbridge -Lenox - Lee - Great Barrington

a Big Y grocery store is nearby
And you can always go to the outlet mall

I have family in the area / so we have never stayed at HICV (nee Silverleaf)
It is in a great central location to explore the Berkshires.

Last edited:

TerryCanuck

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas Desert Club, Holiday Inn Vacations Scottsdale
We just attended an owner update meeting at the Oak 'N Spruce Resort. I was curious, because we had just converted from Silverleaf on Sept 01 of this year so what was the new angle going to be?

Well here it is:

I expected the first thing they would try is to get to push us to the "next level" at 500,000 points and I was right. What I didn't expect was the pushing of the Signature Club access.

Here is how it goes:

Even if you are Elite Status, you can't get access to some Signature resorts/units (I suspect this is said because if you are going for a high demand season stay, you probably can't get a reservation in front of the home owners. Small truth applied to the general case making it a big lie) I could solve this "problem" today only, by buying Signature Club points which would "Signaturize" our existing points and give us 13 months access to all Signature Club properties.

The hook was all new units being built would be Signature Club units, so that the only way we could have access was to use this "trick" to gain access without having to purchase enough "official" Signature Club points.

1st offer: Buying 135K SC points outright to bring us to 500K - ~$60K
2nd offer: Buying 135K pints to bring us to 500K - ~$33K
3rd offer (today only, we don't normally do this): Buying 50K SC points to "Signaturize" us - $13K

We passed and took the $100 in food vouchers.

Any opinions on access to Signature units?
Access to "signature" units is NOT worth the cost. Some of the other perks are. For example, you can get RCI access without depositing anything into RCI. You can get "automatic upgrades" from a 1-bdr. to a 2-bdr. free of charge, if the larger suite is available. You can get discounts if you book early--very substantial discounts. You can get free "Points protect" where you have the ability to cancel a vacation with just one day's notice. Also, there is the "Registry Collection". The salesman assigned to you did a poor presentation if he omitted these benefits, as they can be very substantial. I purchased the absolute minimum required to go "Signature"--but nothing more.