• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holding account points question / Using 2022 Points for 2023 Resort Credit? [MERGED]

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Hello, I have a decent chance of getting my upcoming reservation cancelled. I made it with points and they will be returned to me as restricted points in my holding account and will expire 12/31.

I do not have travel insurance (lesson learned... I think???) so that route is not available to me.

Can I use them for resort credit (assuming an upcoming reservation for Thanksgiving accepts resort credit)?

How about Airline Miles? I know I cannot do the Bonvoy points route as that window closed in March.

Thanks in advance.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
They can be used for resort credits…. I recently did this.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Excellent! I may end up with 4000 points worth of resort credit! :rolleyes: Fortunately I can use it to pay for golf!

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resort credit. Where can I find more info on this (what we can get for the points) and maybe other ways of using points?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a different conversion to golf round certificate.
I just checked and I can purchase $110 resort credit for 325 points (not a great deal but at least it is something). That credit can be used at Shadow Ridge to play golf. There is also another option to purchase rounds of golf in a different transaction type that cannot use holding points. So I would end up with about $1000 resort credit that I would just charge my greens fees to. At the end of the week I would just get that credited to my bill.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked and I can purchase $110 resort credit for 325 points (not a great deal but at least it is something). That credit can be used at Shadow Ridge to play golf. There is also another option to purchase rounds of golf in a different transaction type that cannot use holding points. So I would end up with about $1000 resort credit that I would just charge my greens fees to. At the end of the week I would just get that credited to my bill.
Got it. In the past I was able to use holding points to buy golf rounds.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Likely an equally poor value, but pretty sure you can use Holding Points for car rental certificates also.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you can also use Holding points to purchase the Travelex insurance. It isn't a good value, but is better than losing the points.

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you can make a reservation and late deposit into II. It'll be in flexchange and you can't exchange back into Marriott.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
About resort credits - has anyone used them for the Namaste Spa at Barony Beach Club? Did you have to actually use the spa during the stay?

When points could be used for the Tanger Outlets on 278 off-island you had to have a reservation at an HHI resort to use the resort credits to get the voucher, but once you turned it in at the Customer Service office at the outlets you'd get a gift card that didn't expire for at least a year (despite the rules saying that you had to shop during your stay.) If that's how the Namaste Spa credits work I'm thinking of making a one-night reservation at one of the HHI resorts and just running over to get the resort credit voucher. I like the Namaste Spa very much and would rather use my expiring points for credits there than have them expire!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We used resort credit for massages at Namaste about two weeks ago. I didn't ask about a voucher.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you can make a reservation and late deposit into II. It'll be in flexchange and you can't exchange back into Marriott.
You can’t make points reservations and deposit them into II.
You would have MVC convert your points to a week and deposit into II.
And these can be done last minute- no flexchange.

If you own a floating week you can reserve that and the deposit is subject to flexchange.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
We used resort credit for massages at Namaste about two weeks ago. I didn't ask about a voucher.
I'm guessing that means, then, that it wasn't a voucher-exchange-for-a-gift-card transaction, instead just a credit that was applied to your folio at check-out?

Thanks for your response. I figured what I was thinking was probably a very long shot but it's good to know for sure. :)

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can’t make points reservations and deposit them into II.
You would have MVC convert your points to a week and deposit into II.
And these can be done last minute- no flexchange.

If you own a floating week you can reserve that and the deposit is subject to flexchange.
Thanks for clarifying. This is the best scenario with holding points then.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. This is the best scenario with holding points then.
I’m not sure you can have holding points converted and deposited.
I was just commenting on your suggestion to book a points reservation and then deposit it into II- can’t be done with points at all.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I'm guessing that means, then, that it wasn't a voucher-exchange-for-a-gift-card transaction, instead just a credit that was applied to your folio at check-out?

Thanks for your response. I figured what I was thinking was probably a very long shot but it's good to know for sure. :)
Yes, it was just a folio credit, not the voucher gift card setup. Not sure if you could possibly buy a spa gift card while on site to trigger the folio credit. That's getting kind of complex...

Reaction score
I have expiring 2022 vacation club points (use it or lose it) and don't plan to travel for the remainder of the year. I do have two Marriott resorts booked for 2023. Does anyone know if I can redeem my 2022 vacation club points for resort credit in 2023? Or do must I use the 2022 vacation club points this year?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I'm pretty sure the stay where you will redeem the resort credit has to occur before your points expire....but it doesn't hurt to call MVC and ask. Also, while on the call, they can let you know your other options to use the points (Interval International options, Car Rental credit vouchers, etc)

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have expiring 2022 vacation club points (use it or lose it) and don't plan to travel for the remainder of the year. I do have two Marriott resorts booked for 2023. Does anyone know if I can redeem my 2022 vacation club points for resort credit in 2023? Or do must I use the 2022 vacation club points this year?
I expect that the Terms and Conditions for using Resort Credits will be the same for all eligible resorts.
These are the ones from our recent stay and unfortunately they have to be used in the “current” year (although some can be brought forward to make up a shortfall)

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe you can use DC points for reservations after the points expire. You can, however, use them toward insurance or flights. Not the best use of points but better than letting them expire.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With Vistana, you can use expiring SOs as resort credits against future reservations, i.e. beyond SOs expiration date. I have not tried it for MVC. Please do report back. Thanks.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not helpful for you but I just found out via chat that if you stay at the Hilton Head MVCs you can use vacation club points to buy shop or dine certificates. 325 points for $100 for Serg restaurant group expire in 5 years or 325 for $100 at Tanger outlets (can be used at any location, no expiration).
As I understand it you do have to stay at the resort and get them certs before the points expire.
Not a great value, but another option for expiring points if it works for you.
I don’t believe this is on the owner website.

I was also told by chat that you must be staying at the resort before your points expire to use them for resort credit.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Probably not helpful for you but I just found out via chat that if you stay at the Hilton Head MVCs you can use vacation club points to buy shop or dine certificates. 325 points for $100 for Serg restaurant group expire in 5 years or 325 for $100 at Tanger outlets (can be used at any location, no expiration).
As I understand it you do have to stay at the resort and get them certs before the points expire.
Not a great value, but another option for expiring points if it works for you.
I don’t believe this is on the owner website.

I was also told by chat that you must be staying at the resort before your points expire to use them for resort credit.
I know that @SueDonJ has mentioned these in the past, but thought perhaps they were no longer available.