• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hokulani

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am planning a family Hawaii vacation next June. We stayed at Lagoon Tower a few times and are thinking about trying Hokulani next year since it locates near all those eateries in Waikiki.

I would like to have some input from TUGers about the resort.

Also, is it realistic to book open season in early to middle June? The dilemma is that by the time we can book open season at Hokulani, we are already within 31-day non-cancellation period for the point reservation.

Thank you!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We haven’t stayed there, but my brother and his wife stayed in a 1BR unit. We visited them while we were staying at Lagoon Towers. The unit was very nice but the balcony was more of a Juliet balcony so it is only for standing. I don’t know if they have 2BR units, but I assume that would be your preferred size for a family stay. I’m sure others can weigh in on that.

As you mentioned, the location is great if you want to be closer to the main action in Waikiki. We would definitely consider staying there if we wanted to experience something other than HHV.

I am not sure about OS, but if you want to try it i would suggest having a back up plan just in case it isn’t available.

Best regards.

Mike

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
As Mike stated you would need to have a backup plan.
Perhaps book one of the HHV towers as your backup with the cancel for any reason fee (aka cancel protection for $79) then grab Open Season dates if they become available at Hokulani or some other HHV tower.

Also as Mike stated Hokulani only has one bedrooms with a juliet balcony. See quote below photo for videos.

HOKULANI

Here are some additional videos of the Hokulani (recently went myself)

Room:

Entrance and Lobby:

Elevator and Rooftop Sky Lounge:

Accessibility:

Washer and Dryer:

Last edited:

David M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Kings' Land
We've stayed there a couple of times, and are headed back there in October.

The rooms are very nicely laid out. The bathrooms are quite interesting, with a small TV in the mirror, and a Toto washlet ... the freestanding tub fills from a spout on the ceiling.

There isn't much of a kitchen, just a small fridge, microwave and induction cooktop. The balcony is very tiny, as noted above.

The consolation is the rooftop deck. There are lots of loungers, covered "cabanas" a long plunge pool, hot tub, and a bar.

Given the virtually non-existent balcony, this would be a saving grace for families; then again, it's only about a two block walk to the beach.

We haven't been there since 2018, but back then, the rooftop was never very busy ... this is an HGVC pic.

1660273823430.png

All the units are 1BR, either king or two double ... the top floors are premier, the rest are plus rooms.

Edit:
The Waikiki Trolley Pink line now stops right out front on Lewers.

The location is great for taxi or shuttle drop off and pickup ... right at the bottom of the escalator to the lobby

1660275295967.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
We just checked out on August 5th, and absolutely loved it! The main benefit was the location, all the eateries and international market. The rooftop was closed for maintenance, which was the only letdown.

David M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Kings' Land
Oh, man o_O ... was there any indication of how long the rooftop would be closed?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Wife, son and I stay there for a week to 12 days and combine it with our stay at Grand Islander. The Hale Koa parking pass allows you to park in the overflow lot next to post office. This way we pay $195 for a months parking between Hokulani and HHV. This lot is right next to the Trump residences so a close walk.

It is all 1br units with a small kitchen. Washer and dryer are in a common room on each floor. Little tight but fine for a week or so for 3 or 4. Love the rooftop deck and hot tub to sit in evening and look down Kalakaua Ave.

Best part is you mentioned, it is walking distance to all the yummy restaurants in Waikiki.

Say hi to front desk associate Brian. Great guy and has been there since Hokulani opened.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the valuable insights and pictures/videos.

I think that we will go ahead to try Hokulani next June via point reservation or open season. The small kitchen should not be a issue since we are in vincinity of so many restuarants in Waikiki.

I noticed that there are lot of rooms available during open season in the past 2 weeks.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I am planning a family Hawaii vacation next June. We stayed at Lagoon Tower a few times and are thinking about trying Hokulani next year since it locates near all those eateries in Waikiki.

Also, is it realistic to book open season in early to middle June? The dilemma is that by the time we can book open season at Hokulani, we are already within 31-day non-cancellation period for the point reservation.

Thank you!

You mention a FAMILY VACATION, but you don't specify what you mean by FAMILY. If there are children then I would say that the HHV is a preferred location. Also, if you love the convienient location of the beach and Ocean View I would say the HHV is a preferred location.

You are certainly correct that it is closer to the variety of restaurant, however, we walk from the HHV to any restaurant we want in Waikiki. We have gone to the Blue Note in the Outrigger where Duke's Restaurant is a number of times over the years and always walk.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

I think that we will go ahead to try Hokulani next June via point reservation or open season. The small kitchen should not be a issue since we are in vincinity of so many restuarants in Waikiki.

I noticed that there are lot of rooms available during open season in the past 2 weeks.
Good Luck :)

Just remember the HGVC rule “Reservations booked with ClubPoints and later canceled cannot be rebooked into the same resort for the same time period using Open Season rental rates.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Timely thread, we are considering this for trip with another couple in fall of 2023.. This looks like if could work well. I would get two rooms, so not packing the four of us into a one bath unit... I will share the videos, and get some feedback.. there are things I really like about the HHV, but then there aspects i really dislike as well... will definitely need to consider the options..

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Family Vacation = both of us + teenage daughter. It looks like that I should prepare to sleep on sofa bed or on the floor at Hokulani next June for a week.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always stay at the Lagoon Tower (2 adults, 2kids). The year the Volcano was spewing on the Big Island we changed our plans and spent 3 weeks at HHV Lagoon Tower and 8 days at Hokulani. It was different, but a lot of fun. For some bizarre i found myself watching tv in the bathroom a lot. I have a great bathroom at home but I just really loved watching tv in that bathroom. The roof top cabana made me feel like I was on the lifestyles of the rich and famous. I loved the easy access to the other end of Waikiki beach. I loved being right there in the middle of the nightlife.

You should stay here at least once. To be clear, it was a lot of fun because it was different. I am very glad we stayed there. Now that we have I will continue to return to the Lagoon Tower.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
Oh, man o_O ... was there any indication of how long the rooftop would be closed?

It was light maintenance until the weekend. We were able to go up, but most of the area was roped off. Movies were planned for the weekend, but unfortunately we only stayed Mon-Friday, before heading to Kauai.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona

We went to Tanaka of Tokyo, rated the best Japanese restaurant in Waikiki. The price was fair given that it included tea and desert, $35 for steak and chicken. The best teppanyaki we've had yet!

SFTechGeek

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Lagoon Tower
HGVC The Bay Club Waikoloa
HGVC Las Vegas Boulevard

Thank you!
I’m just curious, anybody know if you’re staying at HHV, do you have access to Hokulani’s rooftop pool? I know that might not be convenient but if you stay at Kingsland, you have access to Hilton Waikoloa facilities…

bobbi_1217

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
King's Land, Hokulani
When we stayed at the Hokulani you needed your room "key" to access the elevator, eliminating any non-guests from accessing the roof. Besides, that would be quite a walk to use the pool.

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still not sure whether we should book with club point or hope for open season availability while booking Hilton Hawaii Village hotel towers with Hilton Honor points as a back-up.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
You should be able to book one of the Oahu resorts for a stay in early to mid June using ClubPoints.
You just need to reserve as soon as the booking window opens at midnight eastern.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Family Vacation = both of us + teenage daughter. It looks like that I should prepare to sleep on sofa bed or on the floor at Hokulani next June for a week.

Well being at the Hokulani might just work out very well for that Family Group. Unless your wife, you or your daughter are real beach or pool people and need that type of location that the Hilton Hawaiian Village provides. The corner location of Lewers and Kalakaua places you right in the middle of the Waikiki action.

mandl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and Karen Avenue
Location, location, location. We much prefer the Hokulani.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
We stayed in June at the Hokulani and like @frank808 suggested, Brian and the front desk staff are amazing. All your questions are answered. We brought our 19-year-old and the location is great. We did not need the extensive pools. We actually went up Kalakaua to get to food places using public transportation. The Holo Holo stops two blocks away and is air-conditioned and reasonable. The Blue Waikiki Trolley is two blocks away and took us to Diamond Head. You need to reserve your entrance time at Diamond Head. The Pink Trolley stops in front and goes to the Ala Moana mall and we picked up food from the Foodland there. I did not have to cook much but made eggs and coffee for the morning; it allowed us to relax before we went out. It is right by the beach and very central. We walked through HHV but the shops and the bustle were not relaxing for us. The Starbucks is across the street and three ABC stores are within a block.

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I plan to book as soon as the 6-month window opens. Although I saw lot of openings even at 30-day mark, I think that we should book with club points for higher floor and 2 double beds.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stayed in June at the Hokulani and like @frank808 suggested, Brian and the front desk staff are amazing. All your questions are answered. We brought our 19-year-old and the location is great. We did not need the extensive pools. We actually went up Kalakaua to get to food places using public transportation. The Holo Holo stops two blocks away and is air-conditioned and reasonable. The Blue Waikiki Trolley is two blocks away and took us to Diamond Head. You need to reserve your entrance time at Diamond Head. The Pink Trolley stops in front and goes to the Ala Moana mall and we picked up food from the Foodland there. I did not have to cook much but made eggs and coffee for the morning; it allowed us to relax before we went out. It is right by the beach and very central. We walked through HHV but the shops and the bustle were not relaxing for us. The Starbucks is across the street and three ABC stores are within a block.

That was great that you used public transportation to get around Honolulu/Waikiki. We have stayed for many many nights and now live in Waikiki without a car. The Hokulani location is so central in Waikiki and so many food places that you can walk to almost everything. Did you go to a supermarket to buy food to cook/eat in your room? Although we shop for a few items at the Food Pantry on Hobron we mostly buy our food at either Target, Walmart or Sam's near the Ala Moana Mall which have much better prices and are a short bus ride.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
That was great that you used public transportation to get around Honolulu/Waikiki. We have stayed for many many nights and now live in Waikiki without a car. The Hokulani location is so central in Waikiki and so many food places that you can walk to almost everything. Did you go to a supermarket to buy food to cook/eat in your room? Although we shop for a few items at the Food Pantry on Hobron we mostly buy our food at either Target, Walmart or Sam's near the Ala Moana Mall which have much better prices and are a short bus ride.
I picked up poke at the Foodland which we snacked on for lunches. Then, the eggs and sausage, we used to make breakfasts in the room. We had left over fried rice and I made a mock loco moco in the room. We also took the Holo Holo to Rainbow Drive-Inn and the local restaurant on the edge of the Ala Wai Golf Course and back to the Hokulani.

The ABC Store near the Ritz Carlton had a deli which we ordered from as well as picked up some spam musubi at the Musubi shop across from the Hokulani. We basically ate in the room with take-out. We saw the Walmart in Chinatown but that was at the end of the trip. Great walking area. We only rented a car to snorkel at Shark's Cove on the North Shore. Congratulations on retiring to Oahu.