• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hockey playoffs

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Now I am not a hockey fan...Canadian football is my game to watch...especially my beloved home team, the Edmonton Elks.
BUt I try to catch the playoffs.
Edmonton Oilers, my home team, made it to the finals, so I watched them lose the first 3 games. Oh boy, it will be a wipe out. But the Oilers roared back in game 4 and obliteratied the Florida Panthers 8-1. I mean...what was that? They were trounced 3 games in a row and won game for in a total blowout?
So, on Tuesday my husband and I made a huge roaster of meatballs in my mother's sauce, and settled down to watch game 5. My youngest son and nephew were over. We were hopeful but realistically we waited for the final hammer to drop and end our hopes for a series Stanley Cup win. Well...we saw what was one of the most exciting games I have ever seen in hockey. It was amazing and Edmonton won the game...but it was close.

To show non hockey fans something of the flavor of the game....please take a minute to watch two short clips.
This is Connor McDavid...one of the greatest players to play the game. We are so lucky to have him. This year he is reaching his prime and this video shows what all the fuss is about. They call it poetry in motion.....enjoy.

This is how the game started. Edmonton was short a player...it was 5 Panthers to 4 Oilers and then this happened.

So...it is down to the wire....Edmonton is winning by one point. The Panthers pull their goalie....and Edmonton takes a shot at an empty net. Tachuk, a Panther player makes an incredible effort to prevent a sure goal....to try to keep the Panther effort alive. But...do you see the white uniform just behind Tachuk? Connor McDavid is right behind him.

Tachuk makes the SAVE....incredible effort by the Panther player....but just a second later...Connor McDavid flips that puck into the net, scoring a goal with seconds left in the game. Oilers win 5-3. Sorry...no video for that goal.

And now, Friday comes for Game 6. If Oilers win...it will be a miracle...but they are playing inspired against a powerful team who will not quit easily.

If you get a chance, watch Friday night....and cheer for both teams...well...Oilers preferred...but really this is a hard fought series game coming up.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't watch the games but look at the scores after the games. It is still a long shot for Edmonton, but glad they made it interesting. I grew up in Canada but now live in Florida. I will be okay with either team winning though it would be good for the cup to go back to Canada after nearly three decades.

I think you have the final scores wrong on games four and five. They were 8-1 and 5-3 respectively.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't watch the games but look at the scores after the games. It is still a long shot for Edmonton, but glad they made it interesting. I grew up in Canada but now live in Florida. I will be okay with either team winning though it would be good for the cup to go back to Canada after nearly three decades.

I think you have the final scores wrong on games four and five. They were 8-1 and 5-3 respectively.
Ahhh.. you are right...math was never my strong suit haha.
And I actually taught some math back in the day...mind you...I used to study my materials...but..those days are over now.
Thanks for the cheers....yes, I am just hoping for a good game. The Panthers were very strong the first three games....and their goalie was a miracle. He made some saves that were almost impossible to make. He has long legs and can stretch out the whole net....but the Oilers must have gone home and watched some tapes to figure out how to get around the Panther power plays.
They also got a new coach...I think half way through the season. Looks like the players like playing for him.
Well..in a few weeks hockey will be over...football is starting up here in Canada and I am getting ready to cheer on my green and gold players. Take care. Stay safe in Florida with all the flooding.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Ahhh.. you are right...math was never my strong suit haha.
And I actually taught some math back in the day...mind you...I used to study my materials...but..those days are over now.
Thanks for the cheers....yes, I am just hoping for a good game. The Panthers were very strong the first three games....and their goalie was a miracle. He made some saves that were almost impossible to make. He has long legs and can stretch out the whole net....but the Oilers must have gone home and watched some tapes to figure out how to get around the Panther power plays.
They also got a new coach...I think half way through the season. Looks like the players like playing for him.
Well..in a few weeks hockey will be over...football is starting up here in Canada and I am getting ready to cheer on my green and gold players. Take care. Stay safe in Florida with all the flooding.
No flooding here, we are up north and most of that is way down south. We could actually use a little more rain. Some of our retention ponds are still quite low.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thanks for the reminder to check my stats haha...made the corrections.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Hockey live is my favorite sport to watch. It is fast paced, exciting. The athletes are such a combination of power and grace, expecially the skilled puck handlers. There spacial awareness and hand eye coordintion while moving at 30 MPH is amazing. The music between play is suspended is loud, proud and rock and roll. It is truely a fun experience. Try it once in your life is you have not, and bring someone along who can explain the game.

For the most part, the players are likely some of the pinnicple of physical athleticism amoung sporting options, that is hidden under jerseys and padding.

While not perfect, there is certainly a lot less media stories of hockey players in the new with bad press, less then most other profession team players. US Football and Basketball come to mind. I think it is more to do with the expected discipline instilled. Come to the arena in a suit, be polite to the media, don't drink and drive, get the players union to get you home if need be, etc. And all of this starts early from the coaching.

Last edited:

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I used to watch a ton of hockey growing up. Became a NY Islander fan and had access to Hockey Night in Canada. Moved to an area that didn’t have great coverage and lost interest over the years. I actually enjoy watching college hockey now more than the NHL. I did catch the end of game 5 the other night and playoff hockey is great to watch. I try to convince my wife about that every once in awhile. 🙇

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I used to watch a ton of hockey growing up. Became a NY Islander fan and had access to Hockey Night in Canada. Moved to an area that didn’t have great coverage and lost interest over the years. I actually enjoy watching college hockey now more than the NHL. I did catch the end of game 5 the other night and playoff hockey is great to watch. I try to convince my wife about that every once in awhile. 🙇
Up here in Canada, most boys play hockey at some level. From club teams, to pick up hockey in the front street with a net, some sticks and a puck....on a cold clear sunny day, there is nothing like it.
We live so far away from things....up in Edmonton, it takes us 5 hours to get to the mountains, let alone to Cuba, Mexico or Hawaii to have fun...so we make our own. That makes Canadians appreciate the game...almost everyone has played it or watched it growing up and Edmonton fans are knowledgeable and passionate.
Hockey has kept a lot of families together, football is something else that a lot of people play...touch football without tackles and a lot of young girls play with brothers or friends.
The sport has done a great job at limiting the fighting. I think that is what drove a lot of girls away....but players have gotten pretty skillful without the goons and it has become fun for everyone.
When I was young, there were only two English speaking channels on television, the third was French. I remember lying on the living room floor with my two brothers and father watching Hockey Night in Canada. Mom would watch once in a while but it was not really her thing. Back then...you either watched Hockey or you were really ostracized and felt left out.
60 years later...things have not changed much up here. There is hockey fever in Edmonton.....it has been a long time since our glory days with Wayne Gretzky and his crew. He was a local hero in Edmonton...and his being sold off to an American team for the owner to pocket filthy Lucre still stings.
Edmonton is a hockey crazy town. To have a team finally in contention for the Stanley Cup is a worthy feat of greatness and the city is totally behind our boys on the ice. It is good to watch the activities.
PS. Connor McDavid is set to break a lot of records if he can lead the Oilers through the next two games. He is worthy of the accolades so if you get a chance tune in tomorrow night.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Up here in Canada, most boys play hockey at some level. From club teams, to pick up hockey in the front street with a net, some sticks and a puck....on a cold clear sunny day, there is nothing like it.
We live so far away from things....up in Edmonton, it takes us 5 hours to get to the mountains, let alone to Cuba, Mexico or Hawaii to have fun...so we make our own. That makes Canadians appreciate the game...almost everyone has played it or watched it growing up and Edmonton fans are knowledgeable and passionate.
Hockey has kept a lot of families together, football is something else that a lot of people play...touch football without tackles and a lot of young girls play with brothers or friends.
The sport has done a great job at limiting the fighting. I think that is what drove a lot of girls away....but players have gotten pretty skillful without the goons and it has become fun for everyone.
When I was young, there were only two English speaking channels on television, the third was French. I remember lying on the living room floor with my two brothers and father watching Hockey Night in Canada. Mom would watch once in a while but it was not really her thing. Back then...you either watched Hockey or you were really ostracized and felt left out.
60 years later...things have not changed much up here. There is hockey fever in Edmonton.....it has been a long time since our glory days with Wayne Gretzky and his crew. He was a local hero in Edmonton...and his being sold off to an American team for the owner to pocket filthy Lucre still stings.
Edmonton is a hockey crazy town. To have a team finally in contention for the Stanley Cup is a worthy feat of greatness and the city is totally behind our boys on the ice. It is good to watch the activities.
PS. Connor McDavid is set to break a lot of records if he can lead the Oilers through the next two games. He is worthy of the accolades so if you get a chance tune in tomorrow night.

I grew up about an hour south of the Canadian border and can’t tell you the number of hours I played street hockey, building our own nets. We mostly played with those orange balls, but we also had access to a school gym that was in a pit and could use a ball or plastic puck there. We’d mainly get Leafs and Canadiens games with Howie Meeker. In my mid teens I was unlucky enough to sit 4 rows behind the goal to see Lanny McDonald score the OT goal in game 7 against the Islanders. Probably the quietest car I’ve ever been in after that game with my uncle who had season tickets there for ages. The game has changed a lot since that time and gotten much quicker. Rooting for your Oilers!

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I am a life-long Leafs fan and was in high school the last time the Leafs won the Stanley Cup. I have been perennially disappointed ever since.

I, as well as most of Canada I suspect, am rooting for Edmonton to take the next two games and bring the Stanley Cup home to Canada. It has been way too long! Let's Go Oilers!

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I am not a hockey fan...Canadian football is my game to watch...especially my beloved home team, the Edmonton Elks.
BUt I try to catch the playoffs.
Edmonton Oilers, my home team, made it to the finals, so I watched them lose the first 3 games. Oh boy, it will be a wipe out. But the Oilers roared back in game 4 and obliteratied the Florida Panthers 8-1. I mean...what was that? They were trounced 3 games in a row and won game for in a total blowout?
So, on Tuesday my husband and I made a huge roaster of meatballs in my mother's sauce, and settled down to watch game 5. My youngest son and nephew were over. We were hopeful but realistically we waited for the final hammer to drop and end our hopes for a series Stanley Cup win. Well...we saw what was one of the most exciting games I have ever seen in hockey. It was amazing and Edmonton won the game...but it was close.

To show non hockey fans something of the flavor of the game....please take a minute to watch two short clips.
This is Connor McDavid...one of the greatest players to play the game. We are so lucky to have him. This year he is reaching his prime and this video shows what all the fuss is about. They call it poetry in motion.....enjoy.

This is how the game started. Edmonton was short a player...it was 5 Panthers to 4 Oilers and then this happened.

So...it is down to the wire....Edmonton is winning by one point. The Panthers pull their goalie....and Edmonton takes a shot at an empty net. Tachuk, a Panther player makes an incredible effort to prevent a sure goal....to try to keep the Panther effort alive. But...do you see the white uniform just behind Tachuk? Connor McDavid is right behind him.

Tachuk makes the SAVE....incredible effort by the Panther player....but just a second later...Connor McDavid flips that puck into the net, scoring a goal with seconds left in the game. Oilers win 5-3. Sorry...no video for that goal.

And now, Friday comes for Game 6. If Oilers win...it will be a miracle...but they are playing inspired against a powerful team who will not quit easily.

If you get a chance, watch Friday night....and cheer for both teams...well...Oilers preferred...but really this is a hard fought series game coming up.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Here's video that includes the goal.

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a life-long Leafs fan and was in high school the last time the Leafs won the Stanley Cup. I have been perennially disappointed ever since.

I, as well as most of Canada I suspect, am rooting for Edmonton to take the next two games and bring the Stanley Cup home to Canada. It has been way too long! Let's Go Oilers!

Well at least you got to see one says me the Sabres fan. I love Hockey, When it's a good game there is nothing better. I have even been watching the AHL finals. Sometimes I prefer AHL games but you can't beat watching high end talent of the NHL when they are playing hard. The best thing about hockey is they try to keep the game moving.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We will have a game 7 Monday
Edmonton won 5-1 tonight in games 6
The only thing better than game 7 playoff hockey is game 7 playoff hockey in sudden death overtime.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
The Oilers goalie Stewart Skinner got an assist! The first goalie to get an assist in a Stanly Cup playoff game in over 20 years.

Go Oilers! Bring the cup back to Canada!

~Diane

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We'll be getting back to Canmore kind of late on Monday night but we are still hoping to find a bar to watch the rest of the game. We are now Edmonton fans!