• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hobbies gained since retirement??

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Right now none. I doubt I will even pick up any. Maybe in winter, but I am just not a hobby person, other than reading. Living here in the summer is like one big vacation and it is wonderful for me to live near numerous lakes and have a community swimming pool and to have neighbors to Socialize with a little. I do exercise and part of that is walking with some neighbors.

I do like doing some things around the house.

We are friendly with a couple here who both are crafters and they are always making things. They have talent and keep busy With all kinds of stuff.

The wife said since COViD she realizes she doesn’t miss some Organizations she had joined. She is the type that is always searching for more to do but had taken on too much. She is taking an on line crafting class right now.

I don’t like sports or games much. If I ever did play cards-or bowl regularly or something like that - it would be more to keep some friends rather than the enjoyment of the activity.

My brother took up Pickleball. He and his wife also play tennis and kayak. He also just joined a political organization and is looking into consulting work (barf).

It’s so good to see you talking about how your life is now. Even if COVID has slowed things from being normal.

I hope all that anxiety of moving and building your home is in the past and just a memory. :thumbup:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It’s so good to see you talking about how your life is now. Even if COVID has slowed things from being normal.

I hope all that anxiety of moving and building your home is in the past and just a memory. :thumbup:

Thanks. Yes. Making some “ friends” here has made all the difference and many days it almost feels like things are “normal“.

And with businesses and attractions semi opening up in the area, that helps a lot, too. If I didn’t watch or read the news or see people wearing masks here and there I would forget COVID even exists.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Thanks. Yes. Making some “ friends” here has made all the difference and many days it almost feels like things are “normal“.

And with businesses and attractions semi opening up in the area, that helps a lot, too. If I didn’t watch or read the news or see people wearing masks here and there I would forget COVID even exists.

Awesome, that’s great. It easy to say things will work out but when your in the middle of what seems to be a mess, like moving, it can seem daunting. You did well and it sounds like you are right where you need to be, enjoy!

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Gardening, cooking, baking, stock trading, traveling...the list is endless. Retirement is fun!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
After beening retired for over 19 years. My newest hobby is trying to learn how to use another new Apple Phone. The Commander in Chief purchased new Apple phones Friday, A phone to me is still for talking. I have my Nikon SRS cameras to take pictures, my golf clubs to play golf, my IPad and my desktop computers to surf the internet websites and TUG for my timeshare information.

I have a new John Dere tractor to cut my lawn. Sounds like I may need to learn how to play Pickleball to save my knees for a new sporting activity.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Hobbies? I’m still in the cleaning and organizing phase of staying at home! :) One thing that has been added is listening to audio books again. I took 2 semesters of Italian at our local college last Fall and Spring and COVID led us to ZOOM classes to finish the semester. During that time I studied a lot and only listened to Italian podcasts every chance I had. Am to begin second year Italian in mid to late August and will be back in the books and podcast again.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... After a month in a funk I got out in January to try line dancing (it's not all country music -yeah)
Joan

Joan, I have been taking line dance lessons for around five years now at a nearby Senior Center. And no, it’s not all country music! I love it because it’s great exercise, good for the memory/mind and it doesn’t require a partner! When I started I had shoulder problems and line dancing is something that you can put as little of the body into as you can or want to. We have a couple of older women just barely stepping and others who look like professional dancers from head to toe. We have lunch together once a month and go to Scooter Lee’s Dancing for the Dream seminar in Myrtle Beach every February. There is no place to go out line dancing here and I doubt I would anyway. I really miss our class now and can’t wait to get back.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My wife and I always enjoy BBQ restaurants, so I decided that it might be fun to learn to smoke food. I've got a nice gas grill at home and do OK with grilling, but smoking food would be something new. So I purchased a small electric smoker last Christmas and have been slowly learning (key word: slowly). We enjoy what I cook, and it has also reduced the number of days per week that we need to cook because most of what I prepare (for example, a decent size tri-tip roast) means leftovers that are going to last us at least a few days.

I'm developing a lot of respect for people who have the skill to make really good BBQ. Getting things to taste anything near the quality of what we've eaten in BBQ restaurants is a challenge. Of course, I don't own one of those giant smokers that I see outside BBQ joints, so perhaps at some point I'll need to up my game and buy a better quality smoker. But last week's smoked brats were pretty darn good...

The secret to great BBQ is to smoke it low and slow! Hubby got up at 4 AM yesterday to smoke a pork shoulder for pulled pork for our 4th of July dinner. I’d slathered it with Dijon mustard, salt and pepper and Dizzy Dust the night before and it had to come closer to room temperature before putting it on. He had it on by 5:30 AM and it came off around 4 PM, got wrapped in foil, that wrapped in a beach towel, and placed in a styrofoam cooler for an hour before pulling. We have a Primo smoker. There’s a learning curve involved but after dinner not happening till between 9 PM and 2 AM a few times, we‘ve learned to never open the lid during smoking and bought a Flame Boss probe and fan system that keeps the fire consistent and let’s us know via wi-fi if something changes. Worth every penny!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Golf twice a week, beach rides on my eBike, then wine and acrylic painting sessions. I’ve just started experimenting with abstract fluid art.

Then there is always something to fix using my 40 years of mechanical/electrical experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I have an e-bike too . love it !

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Golf twice a week, beach rides on my eBike, then wine and acrylic painting sessions. I’ve just started experimenting with abstract fluid art.

Then there is always something to fix using my 40 years of mechanical/electrical experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I haven’t retired - I’m not near retirement, but my pandemic hobby is acrylic paint pouring. I find it so therapeutic. I have never considered myself artistic but I’m really enjoying it! So far I have my first commission for a painting from my 13 year old son. It will be a Christmas present. I just took an online course too. I’m spending a fortune on paints and materials- but you know, I’m saving so much on traveling .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk