• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hobbies gained since retirement??

geekette

Reaction score
Retire Now or Wait prompted this - what have you tried and found you liked since hanging up the job?

I am someone that likes to try new things and often I find, wow, I like that! I'm so glad I tried it... wish that I would have long ago... I saw many different crafts that my parents did through time, a voyage from bean boards and shadow boxes to great stained lamps and window panels. so many things still on my list, too, but probably will not do any of the hobbies my folks had, simply because I already saw those and want to branch out. Pottery, maybe? I could enjoy playing with mud and then using a big ole fire box in a process.... glazing and painting sounds fun, too...

So, what did you not try until you retired and found that you enjoy A Lot? Or, what are your future new, just started, or "always wanted to try in retirement" hobby plans??

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
iu

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Sorry @geekette but I will always see Hobbes when I can!
You know what is odd is how the period starting with COVID-19 has caused me to remove things (including pastimes) more so than adding them. Perhaps it is the realization of how much things cost and a consideration of how much enjoyment am I really getting from a hobby / pastime that has cause me to reduce but at the same time, the motivation to add something new just isn't there.

One thing I have given up is refereeing. I just do not have the desire to commit to going back to the court (still not knowing what the game will look like).

geekette

Reaction score
Sorry @geekette but I will always see Hobbes when I can!
You know what is odd is how the period starting with COVID-19 has caused me to remove things (including pastimes) more so than adding them. Perhaps it is the realization of how much things cost and a consideration of how much enjoyment am I really getting from a hobby / pastime that has cause me to reduce but at the same time, the motivation to add something new just isn't there.

One thing I have given up is refereeing. I just do not have the desire to commit to going back to the court (still not knowing what the game will look like).
Hobbes addition is great!

I would likely also exit group sports myself. dance has been off the table since late Feb.

I guess if you already have more than enough to do, then, I understand not seeking new hobbies. I have definitely let some things go, choice and not, but have too many interests and ideas to stop seeking fun new things to try. Yes, I have too much to do already, but I am a work hard, play hard type of person, so, new amusements are "treats". Some "new hobbies" last an hour and I'm out. Others, they stick, and I make time for whatever I feel like doing.

For example, I've always wanted to try gem mining. When I live near that type of thing, I'd like to find out if I like it and am good at it (luck plays a part, I'm sure), or if it is an annoying time suck with little fun to it. Seems you'd have to find gems for it to be fun, but I am not sure about that. I fear that it could be a bit like gambling and addict me with great finds the first few times ... then I frequent the mines more than shower, seeking that next payoff, sure that it's coming in the very next hour, and I should keep after it... can't give up and let Someone Else find that precious hunk a rock...

yeah, probably that wouldn't happen, but, if the mining part is Super Fun, could be ... dogs seem to think digging is a lot of fun, as do many scientific disciplines ...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is golf and indoor hydroponic gardening for me.

I had my first golf lessons 30 years ago and went out on the course occasionally through the years but I was never good at it. 6 years ago, my husband wanted me to play golf with him. I really hated golf because I was so bad at it despite having a ton of private lessons by various teaching professionals through the years. When we retired 4 years ago, I started playing more and now I enjoy going out and getting 3 to 4 hours of exercise to get the heart pumping. I am still not a good golfer but at least I break 100 more often than not.

In last week of April this year, we decided to grow our own vegetables in order to be less reliant on produce delivery as well as not get contaminated greens. The answer was indoor hydroponic gardening - no dirt and no mess. Since we like simple and neat, we bought AeroGarden systems and we now own 9 of them. We are planning to buy another 4. We are growing lettuce, bak choy, herbs, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, flowers and when we get more systems, we will grow cucumbers, snap peas and more lettuce. We have been alternating between having a leafy green salad and caprese (Genovese Basil, tomatoes, pesto and mozarella cheese) salad each night. It is so addictive and we keep wanting to grow more and more...

Last edited:

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I knit and crochet prayer shawls. Our church has (on hold right now) a very active program to give shawls to people going through difficult times like loss of a loved one or health issues. The shawl is a tangible way to say that others are thinking about you. I enjoy the creativity of making them and love that they always have somewhere to go so I can make as many as I want without having to deal with the issue of what to do with my output! I also have a garden plot at our church's community garden where it’s fun to experiment with new crops. And I was a regular attendee at a low impact exercise class prior to the shutdowns. Much more avid about exercising than I was when younger and now do aerobics to U tube videos and lift weights in my basement....but really miss the sociability of the class. All are new to me since retirement.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I knit and crochet prayer shawls.
DD started croquet during Covid and is making baby blankets for the hospital. Both of my kids were preemies and got lovely (small) hand-made blankets sent home with their hospital release. Such a nice gesture, some of the few very special baby items I kept.

I'm going to paint furniture and repurpose it. I got 4 old ladder back/rush seat chairs at ReStore for $60. I want to learn to recane or rush the seats. Saw a youtube video--made it look easy--lol!!! I'm going to be like the ladies at Colonial Williamsburg weaving a rush seat and then teach others.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
...I had my first golf lessons 30 years ago and went out on the course occasionally through the years but I was never good at it. 6 years ago, my husband wanted me to play golf with him. I really hated golf because I was so bad at it despite having a ton of private lessons by various teaching professionals through the years. When we retired 4 years ago, I started playing more and now I enjoy going out and getting 3 to 4 hours of exercise to get the heart pumping. I am still not a good golfer but at least I break 100 more often than not....

And I will bet you've already been reeled in by the 'one shot' phenomena.
You'll have an awful round in progress where you can't even walk correctly, muttering under your breath about how much you hate this game, contemplate pitching your clubs and bag in the next pond, and then.........you'll hit.....the shot.

And it hooks you enough to come back out and do it all over again.

I haven't played in almost 25 years (because we moved to a golf desert and other reasons) but I can still see shots in my mind I hit years ago.
The game never leaves you....

geekette

Reaction score
I'm going to be like the ladies at Colonial Williamsburg weaving a rush seat and then teach others.
I cannot wait to invite you to a lovely camp in NC to do just that! It is something I would very much like to learn, and you could make some money having classes, or selling your items in our eventual gift shop. I'd put your name on something you build there for us, if you'd want custom orders.

We plan to grow bamboo, does that fit into weaving plans or is it too ... something?? I'd like to build furniture from logs. It would be nice to have good seating vs hard surface, which continues to be a hard surface regardless of padding. Bamboo might end up being arm rails and whack-art cladding only.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I don't think bamboo works. It's special rush cording. I'm going to do my ReStore chairs as a trial this fall.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Almost no new ones but definitely “restarted” a few. Building one airplane and flying it and other airplanes, cycling, skiing and after my wife of 50 years passed away, dating ladies.

Working on learning to play the piano and harmonica. That’s proceeding in fits and starts.

Cheers

Last edited:

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I retired at the end of last June after 34 years in teaching. The plan was to get on the sub list and work 3-5 days a week unless I was travelling. Since I was told I could not get on the sub list until November I took 2 trips in September and October, to Morocco with my daughter (her graduation present) and to Puerto Vallarta with my sister. Finally found out at the end of November that the school board I had worked for for 34 years would not put me on the sub list (retired teachers cost more from the second day they are in for the same teacher). After a month in a funk I got out in January to try line dancing (it's not all country music -yeah) zumba and took up pickleball. Things were going well since I could be out every day and I started tutoring and had about 5 students when covid struck. Pretty much every thing shut down. I kept a couple of students but not nearly on as consistent a basis so there went the mad money. The hardest thing is facing the reality that with the financial situation in my province my previous employer will never put me on the sub list. Since I don't do well staying inside I am hoping we will be able to resume some sort of normal life as soon as possible. I will likely look for work in the fall and hope to go back to my activities but time will tell. My daughter has said since the beginning that she is mentally prepared for this to last 2 years. She is looking more and more right.
Joan

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
My wife and I always enjoy BBQ restaurants, so I decided that it might be fun to learn to smoke food. I've got a nice gas grill at home and do OK with grilling, but smoking food would be something new. So I purchased a small electric smoker last Christmas and have been slowly learning (key word: slowly). We enjoy what I cook, and it has also reduced the number of days per week that we need to cook because most of what I prepare (for example, a decent size tri-tip roast) means leftovers that are going to last us at least a few days.

I'm developing a lot of respect for people who have the skill to make really good BBQ. Getting things to taste anything near the quality of what we've eaten in BBQ restaurants is a challenge. Of course, I don't own one of those giant smokers that I see outside BBQ joints, so perhaps at some point I'll need to up my game and buy a better quality smoker. But last week's smoked brats were pretty darn good...

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Golf twice a week, beach rides on my eBike, then wine and acrylic painting sessions. I’ve just started experimenting with abstract fluid art.

Then there is always something to fix using my 40 years of mechanical/electrical experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I’m not retired yet but I will enjoy reading more and just learning more and enjoying my surroundings.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I always enjoy BBQ restaurants, so I decided that it might be fun to learn to smoke food. I've got a nice gas grill at home and do OK with grilling, but smoking food would be something new. So I purchased a small electric smoker last Christmas and have been slowly learning (key word: slowly). We enjoy what I cook, and it has also reduced the number of days per week that we need to cook because most of what I prepare (for example, a decent size tri-tip roast) means leftovers that are going to last us at least a few days.

I'm developing a lot of respect for people who have the skill to make really good BBQ. Getting things to taste anything near the quality of what we've eaten in BBQ restaurants is a challenge. Of course, I don't own one of those giant smokers that I see outside BBQ joints, so perhaps at some point I'll need to up my game and buy a better quality smoker. But last week's smoked brats were pretty darn good...
Good for you! We love smoking our meats too and our smoked meats taste better than what you get a BBQ restaurants. We smoke our meat very slowly, at about 170 degrees for about 4 to 5 hours, then foil it and raise it to 225 for another 2 hours for baby back or an hour longer for St. Louis ribs. Remove foil and cook for another 30 minutes or so. If you want sauce slathered on the meat, then when you remove the foil, brush on the sauce at the last step when you cook for an extra 30 minutes.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not retired yet but retirement might be closer than I think. DH is a golfer or should I say loves to golf. I told him I would give it a try. We are close to two golf courses and I believe they had lessons there (at least pre Covid-19).

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
My wife and I always enjoy BBQ restaurants, so I decided that it might be fun to learn to smoke food.
For my 30th work anniversary, I was able to choose from a selection of gifts. I ended up with a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. I have never smoked food before, so I am looking forward to learning and becoming a new hobby. It is a charcoal smoker, and I haven't messed with charcoal in years so it will be an adventure. I haven't fired it up yet, but I think I have all the supplies I need. Now I just need a free day to try something. Any suggestions on what is the most forgiving to try first?

Kurt

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
For my 35th work anniversary I could have gotten a smoker but my wife wanted the Dyson vacuum. Guess who won. :D
well, the vacuum made it with us to Hawaii. I don’t know if the smoker would have.:D

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Haven't retired yet but we hope to travel more. Take advantage of last minute timeshares etc.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Haven't retired yet but we hope to travel more. Take advantage of last minute timeshares etc.
That's a big item on my list too. I enjoy the planning and I enjoy the trips. But Covid-19 has really screwed that one up.... I'm looking forward to that someday when we can resume traveling safely. For the time being, I'm just storing up travel ideas.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Right now none. I doubt I will even pick up any. Maybe in winter, but I am just not a hobby person, other than reading. Living here in the summer is like one big vacation and it is wonderful for me to live near numerous lakes and have a community swimming pool and to have neighbors to Socialize with a little. I do exercise and part of that is walking with some neighbors.

I do like doing some things around the house.

We are friendly with a couple here who both are crafters and they are always making things. They have talent and keep busy With all kinds of stuff.

The wife said since COViD she realizes she doesn’t miss some Organizations she had joined. She is the type that is always searching for more to do but had taken on too much. She is taking an on line crafting class right now.

I don’t like sports or games much. If I ever did play cards-or bowl regularly or something like that - it would be more to keep some friends rather than the enjoyment of the activity.

My brother took up Pickleball. He and his wife also play tennis and kayak. He also just joined a political organization and is looking into consulting work (barf).