• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HIVC/Silverleaf Owners Angered By New Fees

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Is there a report outside of Facebook?

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is thru the Galveston Daily News but you have to have a subscription to log on to read the complete report.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Oh, well. Thanks for the link but I can only read the first couple paragraphs. It may behoove the Silverleaf owners to get this info circulated?

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have the complete report linked on our FB now but I'm trying to find someone that has the file to put on here.

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh, well. Thanks for the link but I can only read the first couple paragraphs. It may behoove the Silverleaf owners to get this info circulated?

Yes, that's what we are trying to do.

Happytravels

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
For ALL SILVERLEAF owners we need to get the word out as to what is going on. SPREAD THE WORD!!

Attachments

• Silverleaf timeshare owners in Galveston angered by new fees _ News _ The Daily News.pdf
    867.7 KB · Views: 236
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Man, that really sucks..... I can't disagree with the bonus time issue, as that seems like it had been an amazing benefit, FREE bonus time?????
The second story about the Froelich's being upper level owners with SL and now apparently being dropped down to standard level HICV members definitely doesn't seem right.....

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hill Country Silverleaf
you're welcome!!

"Beneath a picnic pavilion on Sunday at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Galveston Seaside Resort, a group of guests enjoyed the cross breeze and blue skies while nibbling on a potluck spread. Laughter bubbled out of the enclosure, but the subject at hand was not funny to anyone present.

These were owners of timeshares for Silverleaf Resorts, the company that previously owned Seaside Resort on the island’s West End and 12 other properties in Texas and beyond.

Since Silverleaf sold to Orange Lake, a Florida-based holding company that also owns the brand Holiday Inn Club Vacations, these owners say they feel they’ve lost benefits they’ve been paying for over decades, and the new company’s response to their complaints has been trying to up-sell them to membership in their brand.

But officials with Orange Lake-Holiday Inn Club Vacations say they haven’t violated any agreements and have done nothing wrong.

Sousanne Stanfa, of The Woodlands, has been coming down to Seaside for many years, enjoying the full benefits of her Silverleaf membership, including Endless Escape, a benefit that allowed timeshare owners to book additional weeks at Silverleaf properties on a space-available basis for no charge above the monthly maintenance fee they paid for their unit.

That benefit, along with others, has gone away, Stanfa said.

“Endless Escape and bonus time benefits we were promised for a lifetime when we purchased our units were something members counted on having after retirement,” Stanfa said. “People on fixed income are now having to pay a fee for any extra time beyond their one week a year, and for many, that makes it unaffordable.”

In January, Orange Lake-Holiday Inn Club Vacations instituted a $25 a night fee for weekday nights for bonus bookings and $75 a night on weekend nights, bringing the cost of a six-day stay up to $250, compared to a previous cost of nothing, except that monthly maintenance fee.

Members argue they’ve paid maintenance fees, many of them for as long as 20 years or more, sinking as much as $60,000 into Silverleaf properties, and now have to pay for the privilege of staying at the units they’ve been paying for all along.

Member Carrie Harper, of Hudson, Illinois, has been a member for 20 years and owned two Silverleaf timeshares until she converted to the plan Orange Lake-Holiday Inn Club Vacations is now trying to sell to all members.

“I transferred the deed of one of my properties to them and paid a fee to become a club member under their points-purchasing system,” Harper said. “Then 12 days later, got a letter saying I’d be charged $25 during the week and $75 on weekends.”

She’s miffed, like the others, in part because she has enjoyed stays that didn’t require cash payment beyond monthly maintenance fees in the past, but also because she feels she was misled by a sales representative in the presentation she sat through before converting her membership, she said.

“That sales person promised me the best of both worlds, his words,” Harper said. “He said I’d get all the Silverleaf benefits plus Holiday Inn Club Vacation points that I could use at any of their properties.”

The part about keeping the Silverleaf benefits she’d been counting on for 20 years turned out not to be true, she said.

Brian Martin, senior manager of public relations for Holiday Inn Club Vacations in Orlando, said the charge for staying at the resort is a legitimate change that doesn’t breach any existing contracts, arguing that the owner of the resort can’t just get rid of bonus time but has the right to change the bonus time structure as needed.

“It was free for a while, but costs were increasing year after year because of usage by a select group of members,” Martin said.

What members are buying into when they convert to Holiday Inn Club Vacations memberships is a trust or a points-based system, not a traditional timeshare, Martin said.

Leah and Cory Froelich, of La Marque, timeshare owners for 21 years with Silverleaf, said that’s not OK with them.

The Froelichs originally purchased a time share in 1998 and were careful to retain the benefits promised in their original contract each time they upgraded, they said.

Eventually they purchased another unit to gain Presidential or Diamond benefits including early check-in and late check-out times, use of multiple deeds to book concurrent units or consecutive stays, VIP reservation and check-in lines and a welcome gift when checking into any Silverleaf property, the couple said.

Despite the contract they maintained, those benefits have disappeared, Leah Froelich said.

“The benefits once provided Silverleaf owners are now only being offered to Holiday Inn Club Vacation Elite or higher level members, based on points,” she said. “And anyone can go to a major travel site online and book into one of these resorts, often at a cost lower than what members like us pay in monthly maintenance fees.”

Offers to convert deeds to the points system are unreasonably priced and require an additional investment of anywhere from $10,000 to $60,000, Leah Froelich said.

She contends those costs and likely additional maintenance fees are downplayed in the sales pitch to move the sale forward with a promise of full benefits she and her husband feel they’ve already paid for in full.

Silverleaf members around the country are aligning online, on Facebook pages and in a Go Fund Me campaign, threatening to organize a class action lawsuit to demand benefits from Orange Lake-Holiday Inn Club Vacations.

Those gathered Sunday in Galveston hadn’t necessarily made a decision to join in any legal action, but were considering their options, they said.

In the end, asking that the terms of their agreements be honored by Orange Lake-Holiday Inn Club Vacations has had no effect, Leah Froelich said.

“When we complained about our lost benefits, they just said they don’t have to honor that contract any more.”"

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
My dad owned several weeks at Silver Leaf. He’s no longer around. But would talk about the free stay benefit when he was

It seems to me that he understood it as not a permanent thing. I may have that wrong. Don’t remember all that he talked about and didn’t take notes as I didn’t own there

But
In the story. It says the owners paid for this and are no longer getting what they paid for
Is that true?
Again I’m not sure of the facts and details but thought it was a bonus program not a “ paid for “ program

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hill Country Silverleaf
It was absolutely "sold" as a forever program, but very basic and simple math would tell you that it was not nor ever going to be sustainable. To make things simple, if they sell 50 weeks of 100 rooms at 10 resorts (I know these aren't exact figures), you would have 50,000 members looking to stay on the weekends (primarily) and during the week at resort(s) that only have 1,000 rooms. And that 1000 is if no one stays during their assigned week. We still take advantage of the bonus time, but are realistic in our expectations. I also understand "fluffing" from the sales force. They will say anything to get the sell. We've had way better luck using our units as traders and booked in other resorts as needed. You can get these units all day for cheap or free, buy a few, trade, then get rid of when no longer needed.