• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Historical Maintenance Fee spreadsheet

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
No doubt I took your post personally and my response was more than just a little defensive. But after all, Im the only self identified "megarenter" that posted here. I know you didnt mention my name, but who else could you be talking about

I really believe that Wyndham's top management thought that they had ended what they called "megarenting" by 2010 and took their eye off the ball. And I think we would still be renting except for the one guy that "broke" Wundhams computers when he tried to move millions of points to the credit pool on one phone call

regarding profit..
I started buying Wyndham timeshares for my own use, Unfortunately I did it without my wifes knowledge. When I told what I had done she said in no uncertain terms that buying timeshares was one of the dumbest things I had ever done. Interestingly she didnt say, "you better sell this stuff" She said; "You better find a way to rent this shit" So I did. and I had the worst luck I could possible have, I was successful at it.. I made enough to pay all my fees and return the money I spent back to our checking account and had enough points to spend a week at Bonnet Creek at Christmas

My first goal was to make enough that I could vacation a month or two with my profit. That worked so I made a new goal... to make $2000 a month....That worked too.. And that would have been the end of it except that I learned how to get a Platinum account for less than $12000 and I found an opportunity to go really big. And I did. . but instead of hiring a staff, I signed my accounts over to a points manager I kept some points for my own rentals, to keep the $2000 a month cash flow going and just barely broke even with the points manager (he paid $6/1000 points)........until the lights went on.. The Credit Pool I could buy a million point contract, and using the credit pool I would have 3 million points for my points manager and he would pay me $18000. less maintenance fees, I would net $12000 but thats not really profit as I was still on the hook for 2 years of fees In the following years I would break even on that million point contract Not a great strategy as I had to keep buying to keep the cash flow going,. I expected to keep buying at 10 million points a year for five or six years and then walk away. but I was trying to find a way to sell or give away the older contracts (stripped of points) I think I was able to get rid of three contracts; one very small contract to a guy that wanted another name one one contract in his account and one Canterbury contract (theres a story for another time, on how I got that contract) and one Panama City Beach contract But then I found a guy,, He took 20 million points in the first year after I found him, and in the second year, and third year I was able to buy strip and sell.. And then game over Wyndham froze my accounts...

So in less than 6 years I went from $0 to $20000 a year to $120000 to $180000 and back to zero.... But if you have been following along you see that I made very little from renting, My points manager made the big money. I made my money buying , then selling the points to one guy and selling the empty contracts to another, So no it wasnt just a hobby, and my cash flow was pretty good for a couple of years, but I made very little money actually doing vacation rentals

When Wyndham took me out, they offered no money but promised not to sue me.. I turned that down and asked for $1,000.000 to go away.... We settled somewhere between those two extremes.

Ron,

You still got the boat?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when people talk about megarenters, they are not always talking about you. The same applies to my post. A megarenter doesn't have to identify themseleves as a mega renter to be a megarenter. My post was not directed at one specific megarenter. It sounds like from your post, the points manager would qualify as a megarenter?
''

like I said, I took it personally

and I shouldnt have

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
''

like I said, I took it personally

and I shouldnt have

Sorry, I misread the tone of your last comment. I might claim to be smart, but I'll never claim to be bright.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
No doubt I took your post personally and my response was more than just a little defensive. But after all, Im the only self identified "megarenter" that posted here. I know you didnt mention my name, but who else could you be talking about

I really believe that Wyndham's top management thought that they had ended what they called "megarenting" by 2010 and took their eye off the ball. And I think we would still be renting except for the one guy that "broke" Wundhams computers when he tried to move millions of points to the credit pool on one phone call

regarding profit..
I started buying Wyndham timeshares for my own use, Unfortunately I did it without my wifes knowledge. When I told what I had done she said in no uncertain terms that buying timeshares was one of the dumbest things I had ever done. Interestingly she didnt say, "you better sell this stuff" She said; "You better find a way to rent this shit" So I did. and I had the worst luck I could possible have, I was successful at it.. I made enough to pay all my fees and return the money I spent back to our checking account and had enough points to spend a week at Bonnet Creek at Christmas

My first goal was to make enough that I could vacation a month or two with my profit. That worked so I made a new goal... to make $2000 a month....That worked too.. And that would have been the end of it except that I learned how to get a Platinum account for less than $12000 and I found an opportunity to go really big. And I did. . but instead of hiring a staff, I signed my accounts over to a points manager I kept some points for my own rentals, to keep the $2000 a month cash flow going and just barely broke even with the points manager (he paid $6/1000 points)........until the lights went on.. The Credit Pool I could buy a million point contract, and using the credit pool I would have 3 million points for my points manager and he would pay me $18000. less maintenance fees, I would net $12000 but thats not really profit as I was still on the hook for 2 years of fees In the following years I would break even on that million point contract Not a great strategy as I had to keep buying to keep the cash flow going,. I expected to keep buying at 10 million points a year for five or six years and then walk away. but I was trying to find a way to sell or give away the older contracts (stripped of points) I think I was able to get rid of three contracts; one very small contract to a guy that wanted another name one one contract in his account and one Canterbury contract (theres a story for another time, on how I got that contract) and one Panama City Beach contract But then I found a guy,, He took 20 million points in the first year after I found him, and in the second year, and third year I was able to buy strip and sell.. And then game over Wyndham froze my accounts...

So in less than 6 years I went from $0 to $20000 a year to $120000 to $180000 and back to zero.... But if you have been following along you see that I made very little from renting, My points manager made the big money. I made my money buying , then selling the points to one guy and selling the empty contracts to another, So no it wasnt just a hobby, and my cash flow was pretty good for a couple of years, but I made very little money actually doing vacation rentals

When Wyndham took me out, they offered no money but promised not to sue me.. I turned that down and asked for $1,000.000 to go away.... We settled somewhere between those two extremes.
Congrats Ron! I hope it was on the upper side of the extremes. Its nice to know a few get the upper hand on the man knowing the beat down they give to unsuspecting couples daily!!!:clap: I will keep playing every angle I can to travel for less without any regrets.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I had a boat for a while when I lived in Kentucky -- a little 24' power boat with a 318 cu. in. Chrysler V8 and a cuddy cabin. Lots of fun out on the Ohio River and in some of the many impoundments downstate. I towed it to Virginia Beach when I got transferred to a ship in Norfolk. The hull form was okay in lakes and rivers and calm days in the lower end of the Chesapeake Bay. But, with a wind out of any north quadrant, the Bay was too rough and I only went out in the Atlantic a few times on the quietest of days. Even then, the boat did a lot of pounding just in the swells in the ocean.

I went from Norfolk to Monterey, CA and there was no way I was going to haul a boat cross-country at 9.1 mpg and put it in the Pacific. Also, the price of gas was going up and up so I sold it. They are fun as heck but almost constant work and a lot of money to keep them up and operate them.

Totally understand what you're saying.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a boat for a while when I lived in Kentucky -- a little 24' power boat with a 318 cu. in. Chrysler V8 and a cuddy cabin. Lots of fun out on the Ohio River and in some of the many impoundments downstate. I towed it to Virginia Beach when I got transferred to a ship in Norfolk. The hull form was okay in lakes and rivers and calm days in the lower end of the Chesapeake Bay. But, with a wind out of any north quadrant, the Bay was too rough and I only went out in the Atlantic a few times on the quietest of days. Even then, the boat did a lot of pounding just in the swells in the ocean.

I went from Norfolk to Monterey, CA and there was no way I was going to haul a boat cross-country at 9.1 mpg and put it in the Pacific. Also, the price of gas was going up and up so I sold it. They are fun as heck but almost constant work and a lot of money to keep them up and operate them.

Totally understand what you're saying.
The happiest day of a boat owners life is the day he sells it. Its like having a pool, everyone loves to come over and enjoy it but no one knows how much work it is and how much it costs to maintain! :shrug:

Last edited:

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
There were probably quite a few "megarenters" within the Wyndham system, but as far as I know only a couple who posted here regularly. @ronparise and @am1 are the two I mostly noticed. They may not have given away all their secrets, but they posted a ton of useful information in their very helpful messages here in TUG.

Their posts enabled me to thoroughly understand the system. I learned that in my specific situation I wouldn't need a VIP ownership to benefit from a Wyndham ownership. And that's really the name of the game, figuring out what works for you.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron's posts were always the most informative. I learned so much from reading them. I became Platinum by paying Wyndham the full price because I didn't know how to do it the cheap way. But I have no regrets. I have been able to rent them easily enough, and I have enjoyed lots of Wyndham resorts.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron's story is really about buying low and selling high. He bought contracts on ebay at a low price. He used the points and sold them to someone else without the points for the next couple years. I didn't realize that Wyndham was the buyer. So Wyndham should have bought directly from ebay instead of buying stripped contracts from Ron.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I actually took one of Ron’s smaller “stripped” contracts, and I still consider it one of my best timeshare deals. I’ve only seen a South Shore contract available on the internet twice.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron's story is really about buying low and selling high. He bought contracts on ebay at a low price. He used the points and sold them to someone else without the points for the next couple years. I didn't realize that Wyndham was the buyer. So Wyndham should have bought directly from ebay instead of buying stripped contracts from Ron.
That is a pretty simple strategy and it still works today under a different strategy. The negative balance put in play may have affected him adversely. Worse yet not being able to sell deeds without future use year points would of put him out of business. Luck plays to ones advantage at times.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
"I can rent from a VIP at a 50% discount on reservations made less than 60 days from check-in" is still not really accurate and might be akin to false advertising. It would be more accurate to say that "I can rent from a Club Wyndham VIPP who gets a 50% discount and upgrades when available for reservations made less than 60 days from the check-in date, which might be less than I could make my own reservation for with a resale ownership if they pass at least some of the savings on to me." That would reflect the fact that it's not a right that anyone has to get a 50% discount on rentals < 60 days, but instead is dependent on what the rental market for VIP owners using their extra points is and whether they choose to provide a reduced cost to reflect their savings. It might work for folks that have sufficient travel flexibility, but then again the same holds true for RCI extra vacations, etc. To others that have restrictions on their travel flexibility it could be tiresome to keep reading it.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
"I can rent from a VIP at a 50% discount on reservations made less than 60 days from check-in" is still not really accurate and might be akin to false advertising. It would be more accurate to say that "I can rent from a Club Wyndham VIPP who gets a 50% discount and upgrades when available for reservations made less than 60 days from the check-in date, which might be less than I could make my own reservation for with a resale ownership if they pass at least some of the savings on to me." That would reflect the fact that it's not a right that anyone has to get a 50% discount on rentals < 60 days, but instead is dependent on what the rental market for VIP owners using their extra points is and whether they choose to provide a reduced cost to reflect their savings. It might work for folks that have sufficient travel flexibility, but then again the same holds true for RCI extra vacations, etc. To others that have restrictions on their travel flexibility it could be tiresome to keep reading it.
@Richelle LOL you tried?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
There were probably quite a few "megarenters" within the Wyndham system, but as far as I know only a couple who posted here regularly. @ronparise and @am1 are the two I mostly noticed. They may not have given away all their secrets, but they posted a ton of useful information in their very helpful messages here in TUG.

Their posts enabled me to thoroughly understand the system. I learned that in my specific situation I wouldn't need a VIP ownership to benefit from a Wyndham ownership. And that's really the name of the game, figuring out what works for you.

There were two "secrets" I held back on 1) How to get VIP without the need to buy from Wyndham 2) That I was selling stripped contracts back to Wyndham

Neither one had anything to do with using the system for family vacations even renting. I learned most of that here and on Glenn's old Wyndham owners group. and then played it forward.

I guess there is one more secret and that is the details of my agreement with Wyndham, that took me out.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
@Richelle LOL you tried?

I don’t disagree, but I still laughed a little because that is long to put in a signature.

@Eric B, Maybe in addition to what he put, would adding “Individual results might vary based on travel needs and availability” be accurate enough to cover that?

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
I actually took one of Ron’s smaller “stripped” contracts, and I still consider it one of my best timeshare deals. I’ve only seen a South Shore contract available on the internet twice.

Nothing at all wrong with selling or buying a stripped contract as long as all the details are made clear to the buyer. I remember that there was a very tempting Canterbury stripped contract available, with it clearly stated that the buyer would have to pay the MF's for a couple of years before using it. I tried to make it work for me and although it didn't, I was glad to have the opportunity. And someone got a great deal on that.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

What I did was something the evolved one step at a time and there was a whole lot that happened before I would, buy, strip and sell

1) Between November 2010 and Jan 2011 I bought 385000 Wyndham points and one week at The Avenue Plaza Resort in New Orleans. The Avenue Plaza week came with the 2011 fees paid and with a reservation for Mardi Gras .I wasnt going to use that Mardi Gras reservation so I put it on Craigslist and got it rented almost immediately That worked out well so at 10 months I made five 3 and 4 day reservations for the 2012 Mardi Gras to rent, and a week at Bonnet Creek for Christmas 2011... for myself. The income from the 5 rentals paid for all the maintenancs fees, so the week at Bonnet Creek was free... I was hooked
I continued to buy, make reservations (mostly in New Orleans) and rent them, the rentals paid the fees and I had points left over for myself...

2) I was a tug member by then and had gotten involved in a long discussion about the timeshare liquidation companies and Viking Ships and the problems they caused at resorts. I took the unpopular position that these outfits provided a necessary service, I got a message from the one other participant in that discussion that agreed with me, suggesting we meet.. I had no idea what for, but I drove to Orlando to meet him at the timeshare he was staying at. The end result was that we formed a relationship with one of the timeshare relief companies. I got all their Wyndham points and weeks if I wanted them, and he got everything from another timeshare system.

3) So I was getting big. too big to use all my points for Mardi Gras and other high value weeks and weekends. I had learned about cancel and rebook for half price, but I needed to be Platinum VIP. Again Tug to the rescue.. Two tuggers let me know the secret to a low priced VIP account, I had to contact one particular salesman at Bali Hai, buy a small contract from him and convert several Pahio weeks to points and voila....Platinum. I bought enough enough Pahio weeks to do it twice, I bought two 126000 point contracts for $6000 down and $6000 financed (each) and converted 6 Pahio weeks to get 2 platinum accounts. Later I figured out that certain Pahio weeks that had been converted to points held their VIP status when sold. I used that knowledge to build 3 more Platinum accounts

4) now I was too big to handle it all myself, I needed help. I found a Points manager guy that said he could handle everything. I maintained my speciality in New Orleans, but he handled everything else. The problem was he only paid me $6/1000 points which was only about 50 cents / 1000 more than my maintenance fees. There was really no more incentive to grow. Until I figured out how to use the credit pool. .. Everything went into the pool and my guy paid me $6/1000. So for example I would get 1,000,000 points, put 3 million in the pool and be paid $18000. Depending on what time of the year I got those points I paid anywhere between no fees and one year of fees. Most of what I got came in in the last quarter, so for every million points I would "make" $10k to $12K. The problem i know you can see is that in the second and following years Id only make $500/ million points. and at sometime in the future Id have to get rid of a stripped contract. When asked about my exit plan, I would say Im gonna die owning this stuff. It will be someone elses problem. In the meantime I planned to buy 10 million points a year (making about $100000/year plus my New Orleans stuff. When I got to 50 million points under management Id stop buying and continue to make about $20000 a year plus about $40000 in New Orleans. Id be 70 with social security a little pension plus $50k or so from the timeshares

The reason Im going through my story is not to just bore you, but I want to make it clear that I did not intend to sell stripped contracts or any contracts, I intended to grow to 50 million points and then, except for 3 or 4 New Orleans events, retire. I even made arrangements for the points manager to continue to manage the points for my wife, if I was to die before her

5) But what happened was that I didnt die, and came to the realization that i will probably never retire, so I was going to keep growing...unfortunately my points manager let me know that he was reaching the limit of what he could handle from me. I began to call around to see if there was a market for stripped contracts. I was willing to even give them away, I hadnt yet gotten to the point where I would pay folks to take them off my hands, when I found a guy that said he could move them. I didnt ask any questions,I asked, but he wouldnt tell me) I sent him the deeds, for review, He prepared new deeds for my signature and away they went. I was paid a half a penny a point... that first year (2014) I sold 20 million and retained 10 million, at one point I followed one deed through the LLC that bought it from me back to Wyndham.. I suspected Wyndham was the buyer, but I didnt know for sure until I followed the deed. The next year (2015) I bought 20 and sold 20, (still retained 10) and in the 3rd year (2016) I bought and sold 10 million and had another 10 under contract, to buy, when Wyndham froze the accounts (August 2016) I know this was a good deal me and Wyndham too They needed cheap inventory to resell and they got some of it from me.

I think I know why Wyndham didnt buy from EBay. Most Ebay inventory came from the timeshare relief companies. And Wyndham had a policy not to buy anything from the timeshare relief companies, because they (the timeshare relief companies) were screwing Wyndhams customers. Thats why they created Ovation to give folks a way out without having to pay (Which is what we were suggesting early on in that Tug thread i mentioned somewhere above)
In any case that was their policy but Ovation wasnt delivering all the inventory they wanted. They were hungry for more, and they wouldnt or couldnt buy from the relief companies, so they engaged a realestate company (actually 3 companies I know of) to buy points on their behalf)

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
deleted duplicate post

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with selling or buying a stripped contract as long as all the details are made clear to the buyer. I remember that there was a very tempting Canterbury stripped contract available, with it clearly stated that the buyer would have to pay the MF's for a couple of years before using it. I tried to make it work for me and although it didn't, I was glad to have the opportunity. And someone got a great deal on that.

Remember, at the time scootr5 got that stripped contract from me, he didnt have to wait two years to use it. the very next January he could take the points from 2 years out and put them in the credit pool to use immediately

But you are right, even if he held the contract and paid 2 years of fees,before he used it, if the price was right, he got a fair deal. and I think Wyndham and I did a deal that was good for both of us too

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron,
Thanks for sharing your incredible story. For most people, it is probably ancient history. But as a Wyndham VIP around the 2011 to 2016 timeframe, it is a fascinating story.

I actually attempted to buy the stripped Canterbury contract from you as well. You quickly replied that it was no longer available.

Can you please tell us how much time you spent on all of this Wyndham stuff from 2011 to 2017? It must have been close to a full time job. You were also on TUG for several hours a week, and I'm not sure if that counts as work time.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, at the time scootr5 got that stripped contract from me, he didnt have to wait two years to use it. the very next January he could take the points from 2 years out and put them in the credit pool to use immediately

But you are right, even if he held the contract and paid 2 years of fees,before he used it, if the price was right, he got a fair deal. and I think Wyndham and I did a deal that was good for both of us too
@ronparise Wyndham actually did you a favor when they bought you out and you may have been very lucky to exit when you did. I don't think it would have been as profitable with a few of the changes that took place after your exit.
1) A negative balance issue that came into play when selling a deed without any current use year points available.
2) The policy of not being able to transfer deeds without future years points.
3) The end of cancel and re book
Wyndham does offer the option of paying $12/1000 on 1 & 2

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I know why Wyndham didnt buy from EBay. Most Ebay inventory came from the timeshare relief companies. And Wyndham had a policy not to buy anything from the timeshare relief companies, because they (the timeshare relief companies) were screwing Wyndhams customers. Thats why they created Ovation to give folks a way out without having to pay (Which is what we were suggesting early on in that Tug thread i mentioned somewhere above)
In any case that was their policy but Ovation wasn't delivering all the inventory they wanted. They were hungry for more, and they wouldnt or couldnt buy from the relief companies, so they engaged a real estate company (actually 3 companies I know of) to buy points on their behalf)
Its Ironic Wyndham didn't buy direct from relief companies but would buy third party from someone that bought from the relief companies. Wyndham benefited more then anyone on these cheap resale deeds that were given away for next to nothing by the exit companies and the traders of deeds.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron,
Thanks for sharing your incredible story. For most people, it is probably ancient history. But as a Wyndham VIP around the 2011 to 2016 timeframe, it is a fascinating story.

I actually attempted to buy the stripped Canterbury contract from you as well. You quickly replied that it was no longer available.

Can you please tell us how much time you spent on all of this Wyndham stuff from 2011 to 2017? It must have been close to a full time job. You were also on TUG for several hours a week, and I'm not sure if that counts as work time.

When I really got going with timeshare rentals I was a real estate agent in a vacation home/second home market. We would find our prospects on line and show them (and sell them) property when they visited Florida. It was an easy transition to vacation rentals. and actually I spent less time at it than selling residential real estate, When I got serious I had ads on Craigslist most of the time so I was available to take calls 24/7, I was at my desk by 7am every day To see what was new on EBay and bid. I checked my accounts for anything new, If so, they had to go into the credit pool and my points manager had to be notified and billed for the new points. I also sent invoices to renters and followed up on their payments... Most of the time I was done by noon

My time on Tug was a big part of my day. I found new customers there, I had folks offer me timeshares , I met others doing things similar to what I was doing. And when prospective renters were doing their due diligence, They could google me and find my posts. It gave them confidence to send money to a stranger they only knew from an ad on Craigslist. I also learned how to use (and perhaps abuse) the system from tuggers

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its Ironic Wyndham didn't buy direct from relief companies but would buy third party from someone that bought from the relief companies. Wyndham benefited more then anyone on these cheap resale deeds that were given away for next to nothing by the exit companies and the traders of deeds.

I believe top management really thought that Ovation would put an end to the relief companies working with their product. They never understood that some folks would rather pay to get rid of their points than give Wyndham the opportunity to make even more money off of them