• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hindsight is always 20/20

Elisenicole

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent all day at Wyndham resorts yesterday and against my better judgement, and common sense, walked out with 64K points for 7K financed at an astronomical interest rate. I knew the "game" and that I was paying a very inflated price, but had no idea that I could purchase resale with huge savings. Sadly, I find the TS world a little confusing, but I've learned more browsing threads on TUG in the last 2 hours than I did spending 6 hours on the sales floor:annoyed:

I've already written my rescission letter which I'll send certified tomorrow. I've read the contract thoroughly and followed the exact instructions.
My next steps are to learn as much as I can on these message boards before making another purchase. I have a friend who owns a Wyndham TS and I've traveled with her several times with no issues. I'll likely purchase a Wyndham resale.

My questions are:
1. How are RCI points used if I purchase a Wyndham resale? One of the big selling points was that Wyndham owns RCI and points can be exchanged without penalty or fees.
2. What benefits, if any, will I be losing? I was not a VIP member so not being able to transfer any "status" won't matter to me.
3. Will I still be able to use resale points in any resort the same way? I'm under the impression that the deeded property is basically just a place to tie the points to and you never really have to visit there (I could be way off on this one).

I'm sure I'll come up with more as I learn and begin to shop around. Any other suggestions when buying GREATLY appreciated! Boy am I thankful I found TUG

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Read everything in the Wyndham

Wyndham appears to be a good and flexible system .There are also lots of eBay etc available resales .

Read everything on the Wyndham forum on TUG
Regular posters will help you if you get "stuck " on a concept .
A number of them also do rentals - so they probably understand how to use the system better than the TS sales force

Welcome to the best TS forum
and pay to become a member --as it is well worth it .

Last edited:

Elisenicole

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I just signed up to be a member. Now that I don't owe 7K on a timeshare I can afford it :whoopie:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent all day at Wyndham resorts yesterday and against my better judgement, and common sense, walked out with 64K points for 7K financed at an astronomical interest rate. I knew the "game" and that I was paying a very inflated price, but had no idea that I could purchase resale with huge savings. Sadly, I find the TS world a little confusing, but I've learned more browsing threads on TUG in the last 2 hours than I did spending 6 hours on the sales floor:annoyed:

I've already written my rescission letter which I'll send certified tomorrow. I've read the contract thoroughly and followed the exact instructions.
My next steps are to learn as much as I can on these message boards before making another purchase. I have a friend who owns a Wyndham TS and I've traveled with her several times with no issues. I'll likely purchase a Wyndham resale.

My questions are:
1. How are RCI points used if I purchase a Wyndham resale? One of the big selling points was that Wyndham owns RCI and points can be exchanged without penalty or fees.
2. What benefits, if any, will I be losing? I was not a VIP member so not being able to transfer any "status" won't matter to me.
3. Will I still be able to use resale points in any resort the same way? I'm under the impression that the deeded property is basically just a place to tie the points to and you never really have to visit there (I could be way off on this one).

I'm sure I'll come up with more as I learn and begin to shop around. Any other suggestions when buying GREATLY appreciated! Boy am I thankful I found TUG

Wyndham points and RCI points and Wyndham points should not be used in the same sentence. There is no connection. You will get an RCI account with your Wyndham account and you will access it through a portal on the Wyndham site
And when you log in you will see RCI vacations denominated in Wyndham points
You don't pay the RCI membership fee but you do pay exchange fees and that's no different from buying from Wyndham

You can use the points at all the Wyndham resorts the only thing you lose is the opportunity to be a vip

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thank you. I just signed up to be a member. Now that I don't owe 7K on a timeshare I can afford it :whoopie:

Welcome and congratulations! Smart decision, I think.

First, you are a member? Follow this post to get rid of your 'guest' sign-in
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53

Next, you'll find that anything you wanted to do with your Wyndham account--you can probably do by renting; at least for a while. So, decide what you'd like your next vacation to be and start scanning the various sections (TUG Marketplace, last minute rentals, Redweek etc...) for a perfect rental for you. You might want to try Wyndham rentals (if you haven't before) or maybe another timeshare brand to explore.

Then, you can pick and choose on your own timeline. I encourage you to fill out the 'new to timeshares' post and get some advice and help with your choice. THERE IS NO HURRY! You have time to pick and choose and get what's right for you. Timeshares are not short, temporary things. They stick with you until you sell/give/or will them away. (so to speak) So, think carefully and act wisely. As you already have. BTW if you think Wyndham is a good fit, don't forget to check out Worldmark as well. Depending on where you live/vacation, WM can be a very affordable and flexible fit.

Cheers!

Fill this out for more advice! http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Elisenicole

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the tips. I have a lot to learn. Couldn't be happier I found Tug in time.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which resort did you get trapped into the timeshare presentation? Some sales offices have really BIG FIBBERS or should be call them, "truth benders"?

Which resorts have you traveled with your friend who owns already?
You likes or dislikes on those resorts? And how many weeks a year do you figure to take timeshare vacations?

Elisenicole

TUG Member
Reaction score
The presentation was at Shawnee. I filled out an entry form at an event and got the call offering 4 roundtrip airline tickets for attending (which I did get).

We've been to Bonnet Creek Orlando and Towers in Myrtle Beach. Both accommodations were clean and comfortable. There were plenty of amenities and we never had issues with any service. I wasn't involved in the booking process, but according to her it seems pretty easy. She has also stayed in RCI resorts.

I don't vacation at all now. Cost is the biggest factor. I'm a full time nurse and a student paying tuition as I go. I anticipate traveling at least 1 week and maybe a few weekend getaways.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you live in the West/Northwest (or like to vacation there routinely) you might have an interest in Worldmark. Affordable, flexible and easy to buy/sell.

Fill out the survey for more ideas...

Not preaching, but I wouldn't finance a timeshare. It's a luxury that should be paid for in cash; that includes the annual MF's. Rentals (of timeshare units too!) would be the alternative.

cheers.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My questions are:

Your Wyndham ownership (resale) will include a free RCI Weeks account. Wyndham points can be deposited into RCI Weeks and used for RCI Weeks reservations. There is a $219 fee payable to RCI when you make the reservation (not the deposit) which is the same price that developer-purchased points and all other RCI bookings pay.

You'll make the same 10-months in advance bookings throughout the Wyndham system at no fee (your Wyndham maintenance includes a dues fee that provides that service). Depending on number of points you own, you get a fixed number of free 'transactions' per year and likewise housekeeping credits, and once those are used up there is a modest fee. Again, resale and developer-purchased are the same.

You can also make 13-months in advance bookings (over the phone) at the location you own--sometimes important for 4th of July weeks or other 'event' dates. Some categories of developer-purchased points can do the 13-month Advance Reservation at neighboring locations as well. (My Myrtle Beach resale points somehow had this privilege too.)

When shopping resale, unless you care a lot about the 13-month ARP privilege, you might want to buy at a location that has relatively lower maintenance costs. Inside the 10-month window, all points are treated equally regardless of location, developer-bought and resale-bought alike.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! Glad you found our little family in time to save yourself 7 grand!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If you live in the West/Northwest (or like to vacation there routinely) you might have an interest in Worldmark. Affordable, flexible and easy to buy/sell.

Fill out the survey for more ideas...

Not preaching, but I wouldn't finance a timeshare. It's a luxury that should be paid for in cash; that includes the annual MF's. Rentals (of timeshare units too!) would be the alternative.

cheers.

I second - no financing. Taking out a loan for a timeshare is a bad idea. Then again, you should be able to find a very affordable or free on so it shouldn't be an issue.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the TUB website. Please do not take out a loan for a timeshare. Good luck.

gatorray

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Always Wyndham?

I read the tug newsletter regularly. When it comes to hearing about people that discovered TUG "just in time" and they are regretting their decision about a purchase, the timeshare in question seems to always have Wyndham attached to it. Coincidence? Are the Wyndham salespeople far more aggressive and dishonest/Devious than other timeshare salesmen? We own two developer week Marriott timeshares and one third party purchase also Marriott . We are happy because we use ours and that is the key. Purchasing for investment/rental purposes is a fools game. A timeshare purchase is not an investment. It's a means of vacationing at a higher level. If you are used to having a travel agent book your vacation hotels, rent cars, schedule flights etc. then timeshare ownership is not for you. We talked two of our relatives out of purchasing because they would go nuts trying to plan so far ahead and have to deal with all of the nuances. Our greatest triumph was to cut off a "Sure sale" right after a presentation and get her checkbook back in her purse. The other couple called us after they placed their multi thousand dollar deposit and we insisted they apply the rescind clause and get their money back. They are happily living the good life as snowbirds for five months out of the year in a small gated, retirement community in Florida escaping the frigid weather of Minnesota each year. An annual 2 week TS occupancy would have been inappropriate for them. We have learned how to work the system and feel that the extra money we spent on the developer weeks might have been a misstep at the outset but then we quickly learned that there are other ways of getting into the system if it is right for you. Likewise, buying into that point system that is the current Vogue makes no sense for us and the added expense is completely unjustified. We view it as a creative means to extract large amounts of money from unsuspecting buyers who have already had their wallets thinned. And as expensive as it is, we get notices that the cost of entry is going up more so "hurry, hurry, hurry." No thanks.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read the tug newsletter regularly. When it comes to hearing about people that discovered TUG "just in time" and they are regretting their decision about a purchase, the timeshare in question seems to always have Wyndham attached to it. Coincidence? Are the Wyndham salespeople far more aggressive and dishonest/Devious than other timeshare salesmen? We own two developer week Marriott timeshares and one third party purchase also Marriott . We are happy because we use ours and that is the key. Purchasing for investment/rental purposes is a fools game. A timeshare purchase is not an investment. It's a means of vacationing at a higher level. If you are used to having a travel agent book your vacation hotels, rent cars, schedule flights etc. then timeshare ownership is not for you. We talked two of our relatives out of purchasing because they would go nuts trying to plan so far ahead and have to deal with all of the nuances. Our greatest triumph was to cut off a "Sure sale" right after a presentation and get her checkbook back in her purse. The other couple called us after they placed their multi thousand dollar deposit and we insisted they apply the rescind clause and get their money back. They are happily living the good life as snowbirds for five months out of the year in a small gated, retirement community in Florida escaping the frigid weather of Minnesota each year. An annual 2 week TS occupancy would have been inappropriate for them. We have learned how to work the system and feel that the extra money we spent on the developer weeks might have been a misstep at the outset but then we quickly learned that there are other ways of getting into the system if it is right for you. Likewise, buying into that point system that is the current Vogue makes no sense for us and the added expense is completely unjustified. We view it as a creative means to extract large amounts of money from unsuspecting buyers who have already had their wallets thinned. And as expensive as it is, we get notices that the cost of entry is going up more so "hurry, hurry, hurry." No thanks.

no its not just wyndham, but wyndham has more resorts than any other system and a whole lot more when you add in Worldmark and Shell. so they have a lot more salesmen and a lot more prospective buyers
Its the same reason that there are more (at least I think there are more) posts on the Wyndham section of TUG than the others. There are just more of us

I do take issue with your statement that timeshares are "a means of vacationing at a higher level" I dont think "level" has anything to do with it. To me timeshares are a way to vacation at the same level as I did before, just a whole lot cheaper>>> My problem with developer purchases is that they guarantee whatever level I buy in at, they will just cost a whole lot more than before

and that of course is where the complaints come from.. If the sales people used the same tactics to sell me Wyndham points at their true value (about 2 cents a point) instead of 20 cents, I dont think anyone would complain

Last edited:

tc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Flagstaff
Aquamarine Villa (Calif)
Wyndham Resorts Points
In 2014 I purchased 154K Wyndham points based at the Wyndham Grand Desert, Las Vegas. This was thru eBay and the total cost including closing was $908.

If you are still interested in Wyndham be careful as to which resort the points are based; yearly maintenance fees can vary greatly among Wyndham resorts. I made that mistake when I bought 154K Wyndham points at Pagosa Springs(Eagle Lofts), Colorado. The yearly maintenance fee for the same 154K points is much lower at Las Vegas than at Pagosa Springs(Eagle lofts).

We live in Phoenix and like to get out of the summer heat. We've found the Wyndham system convenient as there are Wyndham Resorts just a few hours drive away in the cooler mountains during the hot months. That is our rationale for having Wyndham points and you get a free RCI membership as well.

Hope this helps,
Tom