• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton points converted to RCI

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Dear TUB members,
I am relatively new to Timeshares. I am owner of Hilton Grandvacation TS.
I recently converted my Hilton point to RCI.
I am living in Northern California- Bay area and do not see much of RCI properties to use my points.
Q1: Seems the RCI properties bookable thru Hilton is not same RCI. Is that correct?

Q2: Any good advice how to use RCI points. I like to use about 4000 points by end of 2021 and 10,000 points by end of 2022. I am open to flying after I get vaccinated- so after June.
Just looking for 2people accomodations.

Thanks
Pari

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG.

HGV is selective, at least that is what they say, on which RCI resorts are available for exchanges. I believe the resort has to be RCI rated Gold or higher.

I haven't used RCI exchange but it seems the best way is to do an ongoing search for the resort and date you want. You will be notified when your resort/selected date gets added to the inventory.

If you don't mind, what areas in California are you looking for? There several HGV in Southern California and a HGVC affiliate in San Francisco. Also, you can also use points to convert to Hilton Points to stay in Hilton affiliated hotels. i.e. Embassy, Double Tree, etc. I stayed in the Embassy south of Disneyland and it was not bad. 2 room suite with free breakfast. Had to take the special Disney bus but the trip wasn't bad.

Good luck.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It sounds like you deposited 14,000 HGVC Club Points into RCI.
You didn’t mention where you want to go?

Here are some exchanges ideas via RCI
(1) Disney Vacation Resorts at DisneyWorld (mostly one bedrooms at Disney’s Old Key West and Disney’s Saratoga Springs are available via RCI)
(2) HGVC and Hilton Club resorts (some have daily resort fees)
(3) HGVC Affiliated resorts (The Crane, Donatello, Carlsbad Seapointe, etc)
(4) Other timeshare locations that HGVC doesn’t have resorts (Kauai, Aruba, etc)
(5) Other timeshare systems Wyndham, Shell, WorldMark, etc

As a HGVC owner, you have access to inventory in both RCI Exchange Programs (RCI WEEKS and RCI POINTS). RCI resorts are either affiliated with one or both RCI Programs.
NOTE: Some resorts are also dual affiliated with another exchange company called Internal International (II).

Here are some reasons why you may not see availability in RCI via the HGVC web portal:
(1) HGVC has a quality filter in place so we don't see all available inventory in RCI
(2) Availability is based on deposits and all weeks are not deposited. Availability is constantly changing. If no weeks are available during your online search then the resort will not displayed in your search results
(3) For RCI Weeks inventory, what you see online are the leftovers after all ongoing searches have been satisfied.
(4) HGVC restricts Club members access to HGVC Developer deposits in RCI WEEKS until 9 months before checkin. As a result high demand locations/weeks may be taken in RCI WEEKS before the inventory becomes available to HGVC members.

RCI EXCHANGE TIPS
(1) All resorts are not created equal
It’s best to do a little research to determine which resorts will meet your family’s needs and/or requirements in terms of location, amenities and overall quality. Everyone's criteria is different. Read the various comments / reviews. Some folks are only looking for clean well kept places. Others may require central air conditioning, granite counter tops, updated TVs, beach within walking distance, etc.

(2) Search early and often. The early bird gets the worm.
Keep in mind, RCI has over 3 million subscribing members, and at varies times those subscribing members are looks for exchanges just like you. High demand locations/resorts and/or travel dates are taken as soon as it is deposited into RCI. With any exchange company you have to be a planner so you can be first on line with your request. Many TUG members start their vacation scheduling two years in advance.

(3) Exchanges are different than booking an internal HGVC reservation.
Don’t focus solely on one particular location or resort. Everyone is not going to get their first pick. With exchanging it’s best to be as flexible as possible with your travel locations and travel dates since availability can vary greatly. The last thing you want, is you points expiring because you were waiting for the unicorn deposit. When it comes to exchanging, I personally take advantage of opportunities based whatever becomes available.

TUG Members can also use the TUG Sightings Forum, when they’re looking to trade into a particular resort. Sometimes sighting history can be helpful in determining which weeks are typical available (i.e offseason weeks only) based on previous deposits and when do they become available for exchange (for example six months, one year or two years in advance).

Here's what I wrote in another thread
In order to get a great trade with any timeshare exchange company you need to understand how it works. Some folks start their request too late and/or have unrealistic expectations that anytime they want to travel a week will be available. Once you understand how exchanging works, you'll be better prepared.

It is important to understand that exchangers only have access to what is deposited and not all weeks are deposited. The number of deposits by each resort varies. You will have no idea how many weeks are actually deposited in RCI (for example it could be 1, 10, 30, 60 or 100s), what time of year they make deposits, which weeks do they deposit (Winter, Spring, Fall or Summer week) and where are you in the exchange queue (there could be several folks already ahead of you requesting the same location with equal trading power).

Some destinations will be harder to exchange into than others. It depends on supply and demand. There will be lots of competition for high demand resorts/location during the peak travel seasons. There will be lots of exchange competition at destinations were most folks want to visit (beach areas in the summer, major city, ski resorts during ski season, national park areas, etc). One should expect high owner occupancy during this time which generally means less exchange deposits (NOTE: Some timeshares owners would rather rent their high demand week than deposit it with an exchange company).

With exchange requests, it's best to be as flexible as possible on your requested unit size (there is more competition for larger unit sizes) and travel dates (like any time during the year) and even then you may not snag a week at your requested resort.

With RCI, it's wise to always research the properties that are listed in the RCI Directory to make sure it meets your vacation needs in terms of location, quality, amenities, etc. Depending on the RCI choices, you may decide to visit this location via some other means (hotel/resort stay, etc).

You can sometimes find reviews on RCI, Tripadvisor, Yelp, various travel related sites and from other fellow TUG members by searching the forums or by accessing the TUG Resort Database.

Keep in mind that RCI trading is not cheap. In addition to your annual maintenance fee, you'll have to pay an RCI exchange fee (currently $239 for a one week stay) and sometimes a resort/housekeeping fee. These fees will continue to rise.
For example, currently a Disney World trade it's an additional $429 dollars ($239 RCI exchange fee + $190 Disney Resort Fee).

Here's what I wrote for the TUG Advice page. This will provide a brief overview of RCI.

RCI offers two exchange programs – RCI Weeks and RCI Points. Resorts affiliated with RCI can participate in RCI Weeks or RCI Points or both. HGVC members have access to both exchange programs.

RCI Directory of Resorts – http://www.rci.com/resort-directory/landing

For RCI Weeks inventory
o Weeks can be booked as early as two years in advance and as late as two (2) days prior to check-in (however actual week availability varies by resort).
o It's best to place an ongoing search request as early as possible to get in the queue. What’s normally seen online are the leftovers after all ongoing requests have been satisfied.

For RCI Points inventory
o Weeks and/or nights can be available as early as 10 months in advance and as late as the day of check-in (however actual availability varies by resort).
o RCI Points does not support ongoing search requests. It requires a manual search. Based on the resort, availability can change constantly.
o To increase your odds of getting your desired travel dates it is best to start searching online as soon as the 10 month window begins (especially for peak travel dates)

RCI membership is included in the HGVC Club Dues. HGVC members use ClubPoints for RCI exchanges. HGVC has a set exchange rate for RCI exchanges (see table below). HGVC deducts ClubPoints from member’s account upon confirmation. Deposits are not required (except when ClubPoints are about to expire). Simply make the reservation or place an ongoing search request.

NOTE: HGVC members have access to RCI through the HGVC member website (not directly via an individual RCI account). As a result, standard RCI currencies normally associated with individual RCI accounts such as RCI Points or TPU values do not apply to HGVC members.

Number of ClubPoints Required for RCI exchanges

13043211824_86f95c533a_b.jpg

NOTE: Some areas are Red Season only year round (such as Hawaii, Florida, Nevada) while other areas support all three seasons (such as the Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana, Tennessee)

For example
RCI Resort: Vacation Club II (RCI Code #5424) in northern Michigan has the following RCI Seasons
BLUE - Mar 15, 2014 thru Apr 26, 2014
BLUE - Nov 01, 2014 thru Dec 13, 2014
RED - Jan 04, 2014 thru Mar 15, 2014
RED - May 31, 2014 thru Oct 25, 2014
RED - Dec 13, 2014 thru Dec 31, 2014
WHITE - Apr 26, 2014 thru May 31, 2014
WHITE - Oct 25, 2014 thru Nov 01, 2014

Good Luck and Welcome to TUG!

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
It sounds like you deposited 14,000 HGVC Club Points into RCI.
You didn’t mention where you want to go?

Here are some exchanges ideas via RCI
(1) Disney Vacation Resorts at DisneyWorld (mostly one bedrooms at Disney’s Old Key West and Disney’s Saratoga Springs are available via RCI)
(2) HGVC and Hilton Club resorts (some have daily resort fees)
(3) HGVC Affiliated resorts (The Crane, Donatello, Carlsbad Seapointe, etc)
(4) Other timeshare locations that HGVC doesn’t have resorts (Kauai, Aruba, etc)
(5) Other timeshare systems Wyndham, Shell, WorldMark, etc

As a HGVC owner, you have access to inventory in both RCI Exchange Programs (RCI WEEKS and RCI POINTS). RCI resorts are either affiliated with one or both RCI Programs.
NOTE: Some resorts are also dual affiliated with another exchange company called Internal International (II).

Here are some reasons why you may not see availability in RCI via the HGVC web portal:
(1) HGVC has a quality filter in place so we don't see all available inventory in RCI
(2) Availability is based on deposits and all weeks are not deposited. Availability is constantly changing. If no weeks are available during your online search then the resort will not displayed in your search results
(3) For RCI Weeks inventory, what you see online are the leftovers after all ongoing searches have been satisfied.
(4) HGVC restricts Club members access to HGVC Developer deposits in RCI WEEKS until 9 months before checkin. As a result high demand locations/weeks may be taken in RCI WEEKS before the inventory becomes available to HGVC members.

RCI EXCHANGE TIPS
(1) All resorts are not created equal
It’s best to do a little research to determine which resorts will meet your family’s needs and/or requirements in terms of location, amenities and overall quality. Everyone's criteria is different. Read the various comments / reviews. Some folks are only looking for clean well kept places. Others may require central air conditioning, granite counter tops, updated TVs, beach within walking distance, etc.

(2) Search early and often. The early bird gets the worm.
Keep in mind, RCI has over 3 million subscribing members, and at varies times those subscribing members are looks for exchanges just like you. High demand locations/resorts and/or travel dates are taken as soon as it is deposited into RCI. With any exchange company you have to be a planner so you can be first on line with your request. Many TUG members start their vacation scheduling two years in advance.

(3) Exchanges are different than booking an internal HGVC reservation.
Don’t focus solely on one particular location or resort. Everyone is not going to get their first pick. With exchanging it’s best to be as flexible as possible with your travel locations and travel dates since availability can vary greatly. The last thing you want, is you points expiring because you were waiting for the unicorn deposit. When it comes to exchanging, I personally take advantage of opportunities based whatever becomes available.

TUG Members can also use the TUG Sightings Forum, when they’re looking to trade into a particular resort. Sometimes sighting history can be helpful in determining which weeks are typical available (i.e offseason weeks only) based on previous deposits and when do they become available for exchange (for example six months, one year or two years in advance).

Good Luck and Welcome to TUG!
Great information you have provided. I don’t fully understand yet. Let me digest it more and may comeback with more clarification.
Thank you so much

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Why did you deposit the points to RCI? Maybe you deposited them in late 2020 because they were about to expire?

If the expiration date was not an issue, then it wasn't necessary to deposit points in advance of an RCI exchange. Now that the points are in RCI, you can't use them to book directly with HGVC.

You have 14,000 points to book, and the majority of the one bedrooms rent for the highest point price, which is 3,400 points per week. So for your planning purposes, you have slightly over four weeks in one bedroom units with RCI.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Why did you deposit the points to RCI? Maybe you deposited them in late 2020 because they were about to expire?

If the expiration date was not an issue, then it wasn't necessary to deposit points in advance of an RCI exchange. Now that the points are in RCI, you can't use them to book directly with HGVC.

You have 14,000 points to book, and the majority of the one bedrooms rent for the highest point price, which is 3,400 points per week. So for your planning purposes, you have slightly over four weeks in one bedroom units with RCI.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
I deposited in RCI as the HGV bonus points would have expired end of Feb. Only choice was to convert to Hilton Honors or RCI. I did not like Hilton Honors as they don’t give you much. RCI can give me like you said 4weeks of vacation.
Can I have other people also use my RCI point- friends, relatives? I assume the answer is Yes

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can I have other people also use my RCI point- friends, relatives? I assume the answer is Yes

Yes. You'll have to purchase a guest certificate.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I deposited in RCI as the HGV bonus points would have expired end of Feb...

That makes sense.
Going forward, you can use this-year's points to book an RCI stay for a future-year.
No saving or deposit is required. The system draws points from your HGVC account.

For searches, you should try to be as flexible as you can.
The more broadly you define your preferred location & dates, more you will find.
Sometimes, I don't even set a date parameter, just to see whatever's available.
That's how I found a Worldmark near Yosemite and changed my calendar to fit it.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
That makes sense.
Going forward, you can use this-year's points to book an RCI stay for a future-year.
No saving or deposit is required. The system draws points from your HGVC account.

The more broadly you define your preferred location & dates, more you will find.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Thank you for your reply.
Can the RCI point which say expire be used for next year travel also, as long as I book it this year? Or do they have to be used this year only. Thanks

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Would appreciate suggestion for good RCI resorts in Hawaii. Oahu, Big Island or others?
Should offer good chance to get a booking. Thanks

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
That makes sense.

Thanks for a good suggestion. I can use current HGVC points for RCI bookings too without conversion. Did not know that.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Can the RCI point which say expire be used for next year travel also, as long as I book it this year? Or do they have to be used this year only.

Not sure, but I think so.
They only seem to care that you have points at the time of booking.
When you enter RCI-land from the HGVC website, it shows available points.
Also, you can extend RCI deposited points by one year... for a fee, of course.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can the RCI point which say expire be used for next year travel also, as long as I book it this year? Or do they have to be used this year only.

The points just have to be used to book something for any time in the future. So if the points are expiring in 2021, you just need to book something by the end of 2021. The trip can be in 2022 or 2023.

Its important to know though that if you cancel or try to reschedule the trip that was scheduled for 2022 in 2022, you will no longer be able to use those points. The points will have expired in 2021.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The points just have to be used to book something for any time in the future. So if the points are expiring in 2021, you just need to book something by the end of 2021. The trip can be in 2022 or 2023.

Its important to know though that if you cancel or try to reschedule the trip that was scheduled for 2022 in 2022, you will no longer be able to use those points. The points will have expired in 2021.
I’ve never deposited ClubPoints into RCI. Are you sure this is how it works for deposited ClubPoints?

On page 12 of the 2021 Club Reference Guide under RCI Deposit, it states “RCI Deposits are valid from the date of deposit through an additional two (2) calendar years and travel must occur prior to Points expiration.

From page 12 of the 2021 Club Reference Guide (link)

D1D323B2-E712-4FF1-AD59-0FA8F953E806.jpeg
ADDITIONAL RCI OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE FOR A FEE
  1. On page 12 under RCI Deposit, the rules states “In the event a Member is unable to use the RCI Deposit before the end of the second year, for an additional fee, Members have the opportunity to extend the RCI Deposit into a third year.” (see screen capture above).
  2. On page 9 under Cancellations of RCI Reservations, the rules states, “Eligible ClubPoints will be returned to the Member’s Club account if the Points are from a current or future use year. ClubPoints from previous or expired use years may be deposited to RCI for a fee.” (see screen capture below).
D980FA9F-CE6E-43C5-B62B-42C4BE6E8991.png
89E3DA36-344E-4F89-8AFA-75163CDCBD91.png

Reactions: cvu

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

@alwysonvac This was in reference to points that have not been deposited to RCI.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm not sure that RCI cares when eggsactly they expire, as long as you have
the points in your account when booking. ...But I could be wrong. <shudder>

If you see something available that works, go for it and see what happens.
If they won't confirm it, try something else.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Would appreciate suggestion for good RCI resorts in Hawaii. Oahu, Big Island or others?
Should offer good chance to get a booking. Thanks

Sorry, I don’t have any first hand experience with the other RCI Resorts in Hawaii. Perhaps others can chime in based on their experience with RCI.

Regarding good chances..
For 2021, we’re already in March, so you might be able to find Hawaii availability in RCI POINTS for a Fall 2021 stay, since the 10 month window is just rolling over to 2022. I suggest looking to see what’s available online now in RCI.

TIP:You can filter your RCI Search based on member reviews and RCI award levels.

2DE22F13-0A73-4060-B922-FF61C41B95FC.jpeg

You can also use the TUG Resort Database Rankings by Island to help narrow down your choices

NOTE: In the TUG Resort Database, you’ll find the exchange resort code listed after the city, state. RCI resort codes contains numbers. Interval International resort codes contains all letters. - see screen capture below.

BC172920-1D22-4411-ADA5-D364DE74BF4F.jpeg

Also you can find various threads with photos, reviews and tips on the TUG forums.
Here are a few.

For exchanges into the HGVC resorts, I suggest setting up an Ongoing Search Request for a 2022 stay. Bay Club is generally the easiest to book via an RCI exchange. The Hilton Hawaiian Village will be the most difficult due to the higher demand. As a HGVC member, access to HGVC RCI Weeks deposits is limited to 9 months before check in. HGVC normally does a bulk deposit outside that 9 month window. So it’s best to include a wide range of months.

For $15, you can become a TUG member and gain access to the member reviews on the TUG Resort Database and access to the exchange company sightings posted on the TUG Sightings Forum.

Last edited:

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points

Sorry, I don’t have any first hand experience with the other RCI Resorts in Hawaii. Perhaps others can chime in based on their experience with RCI.

Regarding good chances..
For 2021, we’re already in March, so you might be able to find Hawaii availability in RCI POINTS for a Fall 2021 stay, since the 10 month window is just rolling over to 2021. I suggest looking to see what’s available online now in RCI.

TIP:You can filter your RCI Search based on member reviews and RCI award levels.

View attachment 32945

You can also use the TUG Resort Database Rankings by Island to help narrow down your choices

NOTE: In the TUG Resort Database, you’ll find the exchange resort code listed after the city, state. RCI resort codes contains numbers. Interval International resort codes contains all letters. - see screen capture below.

View attachment 32944

Also you can find various threads with photos, reviews and tips on the TUG forums.
Here are a few.

For exchanges into the HGVC resorts, I suggest setting up an Ongoing Search Request for a 2022 stay. Bay Club is generally the easiest to book via an RCI exchange. The Hilton Hawaiian Village will be the most difficult due to the higher demand. As a HGVC member, access to HGVC RCI Weeks deposits is limited to 9 months before check in. HGVC normally does a bulk deposit outside that 9 month window. So it’s best to include a wide range of months.

For $15, you can become a TUG member and gain access to the member reviews on the TUG Resort Database and access to the exchange company sightings posted on the TUG Sightings Forum.
Thanks so much for excellent tips for Hawaii. I am a member of TUG. The best $15 membership

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks so much for excellent tips for Hawaii. I am a member of TUG. The best $15 membership
“GUEST” is still displayed under your TUG Username.

Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a TUGBBS Member.
You need to add the member code to your profile page. Use the links in this post below.

cvu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, HGVC x2

1. On page 9 under Cancellations of RCI Reservations, the rules states, “Eligible ClubPoints will be returned to the Member’s Club account if the Points are from a current or future use year. ClubPoints from previous or expired use years may be deposited to RCI for a fee.
@alwysonvac This was in reference to points that have not been deposited to RCI.

Thank you both for mentioning this.

I have extra 2021 ClubPoints that I'm considering using for a late 2022 RCI exchange. These ClubPoints are from a home week that I do not plan to reserve this year, as I've already booked two other weeks and consumed most of our vacation time from work by doing so. The property I seek to book in RCI is located outside of the US, and I'm gambling that Covid-19 will be sufficiently controlled and travel rules reasonable by then to allow for this trip.

To ensure I understand this correctly:
  • I can just use the 2021 ClubPoints for the 2022 exchange without paying the $139 to deposit them in RCI first.
  • However, if I do pay the $139 and deposit these ClubPoints to RCI, I get the flexibility to get the points back as RCI points if I have to cancel the 2022 exchange in 2022. Is that correct?

In that case, a benefit of paying the $139 RCI deposit fee is that it buys a bit of insurance to retain my points, albeit as RCI points and not HGVC ClubPoints, should things go awry in 2022. And if I choose not to do the deposit, but international leisure travel is still looking complex at the end of 2021, I can cancel the RCI exchange in December 2021 and just get my ClubPoints back into my HGVC account.

My alternative is to wait out 2021 and see if HGVC saves unused ClubPoints not 2022 for free again, otherwise I'd have to pay $119 to save my leftovers.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I can just use the 2021 ClubPoints for the 2022 exchange without paying the $139 to deposit them in RCI first.
If you book your 2022 exchange this year (before they expire), there is no need to deposit.
However if you’re unable to confirm your exchange before they expire on 12/31/2021, you have to take some sort of action to avoid losing them (pay to save into HGVC or pay to deposit into RCI).

However, if I do pay the $139 and deposit these ClubPoints to RCI, I get the flexibility to get the points back as RCI points if I have to cancel the 2022 exchange in 2022. Is that correct?
RCI Points are good for two years from the date of deposit. So I’m going to assume, similar to returned ClubPoint, it will default back to it’s original expiration date.

So for example, you decided to deposit into RCI on 12/15/21. Your RCI point would expire on 12/15/23. If you book an exchange with your deposited points then cancel, I’m assuming it would be returned with the original expiration date of 12/15/23. But I suggest calling Member Services to confirm since my answer is based on an assumption (not actual experience). ;)

See Talent312’s post below regarding the feedback he received.

In that case, a benefit of paying the $139 RCI deposit fee is that it buys a bit of insurance to retain my points, albeit as RCI points and not HGVC ClubPoints, should things go awry in 2022.

And if I choose not to do the deposit, but international leisure travel is still looking complex at the end of 2021, I can cancel the RCI exchange in December 2021 and just get my ClubPoints back into my HGVC account.

My alternative is to wait out 2021 and see if HGVC saves unused ClubPoints not 2022 for free again, otherwise I'd have to pay $119 to save my leftovers.

With RCI, I either do an instant exchange online and/or setup an ongoing search.
I would never deposit my HGVC points into RCI unless I had a confirmed exchange. It would be my absolute last options but I’m picky when it comes to my resorts/hotels stays and I primarily use my HGVC points for HHV stays.;)

I honestly won’t deposit into RCI with hopes that you can get a trade. Definitely do your research. There are resorts listed in the RCI Directory that are either extremely rare or never have deposits for access by all members. For example, all of the Disney Vacation Club Resorts are listed in the RCI Directory but only a few resorts are actually available for exchanges by all members.

Welcome to TUG and Good Luck :)

Last edited:
Reactions: cvu

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Actually, cancelling a booking which used RCI Deposited Points is worse
than using HGVC Points (that would have expired), because...
You lose the RCI Deposited Points, but you can elect to Deposit the HGVC Points.

I know that makes no sense, but this is what RCI says about it:

• If a reservation is cancelled and Points previously deposited to RCI were used to secure the reservation, those Points will be considered expired and are not eligible to be returned to your RCI account.

• Current-year Points are eligible for travel in the following two years, when an exchange is confirmed prior to the expiration of Points. Upon cancellation of a reservation, you could be required to deposit the points into RCI (deposit fee is applicable) or you may voluntarily forfeit the Points.

From actual experience with a previous future-year booking:
-- When you call to cancel, ask to Deposit any expired points to RCI (and pay the fee).
-- You must bring it up if they don't... before they hang-up.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
• If a reservation is cancelled and Points previously deposited to RCI were used to secure the reservation, those Points will be considered expired and are not eligible to be returned to your RCI account.
Hi Talent312,
For future reference, where did you find this?

Never mind I reread your post.
I think you’re saying this was based on your experience & verbal feedback from RCI.

Last edited: