• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 29 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton, Marriott and Starwood VS the Others

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of picking up one more timeshare. I own a few weeks at resorts not affiliated with Hilton, Marriott , and Starwood.

I use these units mostly to trade.

I can swap my one week for 1, 2, or 3 weeks per year with RCI.
I can swap one week with II and book a Marriott or Starwood unit.

So ...what is the benefit of owning at H/M/S ?

Is there a way to get more than 1 week internally with H/M/S ?

The resorts are nicer but so are the maintenance fees.

I'm not interested in going to the same resort every year or owning the same week at any H/M/S (with the possible exception of Marriott Mountainside).

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Hilton has a pure point system; so it's possible, for example, to get three weeks out of one deeded week, depending on size of unit and season booked.

Of the three you mentioned, Hilton has the lowest MFs and lowest yearly increase (it was about 1% for 2012), as well as being the most owner friendly, even with resale owners. You can see all the inventory online and easily book and make changes that way; no need to try to call exactly at a certain time to make a reservation.

The only drawback to Hilton is the smaller number of locations.

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Hilton have ROFR on resales?

Any benefits of owning a Hilton credit card with the timeshare?

Any benefits of booking discounted hotel rooms and owning a Hilton timeshare?

Talent312

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You can see all the inventory online and easily book and make changes that way...

I agree that HGVC is resale-owner friendly and very flexible (almost too many options).
The website is very robust. There's a dedicated RCI portal and a special RCI point-chart.

However, not all the inventory is online. Many affiliated resorts in SW Florida, Grand Pacific, Club Intrawest, and others managed by HGVC, require a phone call with call backs to search for inventory.

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, Hilton exercise ROFR aggressively these days.
If you use Hilton credit card, you can combine your HHonors together.
You can convert your timeshare points to HHonors which has no expiration.
Hilton has "Open Season" which is a discounted rate for owners.
Any inventory within 30 days, you can pay cash and book.
It is a great benefit if you stay any resort in Hawaii. 2 bedroom villa is $100 per night.

Marriott and Starwood owners get priority (preference) when exchange through II.
Most of the valuable (high demand) weeks are gone during that priority period. Left over inventory goes to other system owners.
If you travel during shoulder season and if you are flexible for travel dates, you may not need that priority.

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1BR Bay Club HI, a hgvc affiliate for $255 and no ROFR problem.

Bay Club is an affiliated resort, so there's no ROFR for this resort.
Buying an affiliated resort is much cheaper way to get into HGVC system.
Many owners confirmed that there's no big difference between true HGVC resorts and HGVC managed (affiliated) resorts.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
However, not all the inventory is online. Many affiliated resorts in SW Florida, Grand Pacific, Club Intrawest, and others managed by HGVC, require a phone call with call backs to search for inventory.

I keep forgetting about the affiliates since I haven't stayed in any of them.

Talent312

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
There is a 2N minimum for cash reservations ("open season").
There is a 3N minimum for booking with points ("club" reservations).
---------------------------------------
HHonors has both Am-Ex and Citi-Visa "no fee" affinity cards. Using them significantly adds to one's balance. A sign-up bonus = 40K HH-points, enuff for a 1N stay. Spend $20K on the Am-Ex card in a year (surprisingly easy) and you get a gold-tier membership with some very nice perks.

Converting HGVC to HHonors points (ratio = 1:25) is not an effective use of points. That devalues HGVC points, and should be used only for points that can't be used otherwise or to score discounted ("VIP") HHonors rewards. Current year HGVC points can be used to book hotels directly, but the effective conversion ratio is even worse (1:20).

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

The affiliates do not have an ROFR.

Also the HGVC Flamingo in Las Vegas does not have ROFR, but the resale purchase prices are higher because it is not an affiliate.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I keep forgetting about the affiliates since I haven't stayed in any of them.

There are a lot out there, especially in SW Florida. I wish they had an affiliate or two on Maui. I also wish they had some affiliates or Hilton owned HGVC's in the Caribbean.

I heard that at one time Hilton was going to have/build a HGVC in Puerto Rico, but unfortunately they dropped the idea.

Florida Gulf Coast HGVC Affiliates:
• The Cottages at South Seas Resort, Captiva Island
• Plantation Bay Villas at South Seas Resort, Captiva Island
• Plantation Beach Club at South Seas Resort, Captiva Island
• Plantation House at South Seas Resort, Captiva Island
• South Seas Club at South Seas Resort, Captiva Island
• Seawatch On-the-Beach Resort, Fort Myers Beach
• The Charter Club of Marco Beach, Marco Island
• Club Regency of Marco Island, Marco Island
• Eagle’s Nest Beach Resort, Marco Island
• The Surf Club Resort, Marco Island
• Casa Ybel Resort, Sanibel Island
• Hurricane House Resort, Sanibel Island
• Sanibel Cottages Resort, Sanibel Island
• Shell Island Beach Club Resort, Sanibel Island
• Tortuga Beach Club Resort, Sanibel Island

Last edited:

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you're getting the trades you want, you probably shouldn't buy into the Hilton / Marriott / Starwood systems. However, the biggest perk to owning in Marriott and Starwood (in my opinion) is that you get first crack at II inventory (this inventory is accessible only to Marriott or Starwood owners for around the first three weeks it is deposited). Hence, the best dates and units are typically scooped up by owners within those systems. One other bonus is that trades are discounted for Marriott owners trading into Marriott units and Starwood owners trading into Starwood units.

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
K2 - Can you clarify how trades are discounted for Marriott and Starwood owners?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
K2 - Can you clarify how trades are discounted for Marriott and Starwood owners?

The exchange fee is discounted - for Starwood the discount is $20 for Starwood to Starwood exchanges.

But more importantly, Marriott and Starwood owners have first priority for any deposits from their own system, before other owners.

In other words, if I put in a request using a Starwood deposit, and the week I request is deposited, I would get the exchange before non-Starwood owners.

This is true for both on-going requests and instant online exchanges.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's been a while since I completed my last trade, but isn't the discount more like $35?

As far as I know - it's $20 now. I think that changed when they changed the Starwood-II rules.

I will double check and report back.

Thank you for pointing that out - I'm happy to say the discount is $35!

$149
-$35
$114

Last edited:

vacationer2011

TUG Member
Reaction score
Complete list of HGVC affiliates?

Does anyone know how to get a complete list of all affiliates for HGVC? I live in CA and am most interested in CA locations.
Thank you

There are a lot out there, especially in SW Florida. I wish they had an affiliate or two on Maui. I also wish they had some affiliates or Hilton owned HGVC's in the Caribbean.

I heard that at one time Hilton was going to have/build a HGVC in Puerto Rico, but unfortunately they dropped the idea.

Florida Gulf Coast HGVC Affiliates:
• The Cottages at South Seas Resort, Captiva Island
• Plantation Bay Villas at South Seas Resort, Captiva Island
• Plantation Beach Club at South Seas Resort, Captiva Island• Plantation House at South Seas Resort, Captiva Island
• South Seas Club at South Seas Resort, Captiva Island
• Seawatch On-the-Beach Resort, Fort Myers Beach
• The Charter Club of Marco Beach, Marco Island
• Club Regency of Marco Island, Marco Island
• Eagle’s Nest Beach Resort, Marco Island
• The Surf Club Resort, Marco Island
• Casa Ybel Resort, Sanibel Island
• Hurricane House Resort, Sanibel Island
• Sanibel Cottages Resort, Sanibel Island
• Shell Island Beach Club Resort, Sanibel Island
• Tortuga Beach Club Resort, Sanibel Island

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

craigtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
So... If we buy a resale at a HGVC affiliate, those points would trade like any other HGVC points? No limitations?

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
So... If we buy a resale at a HGVC affiliate, those points would trade like any other HGVC points? No limitations?

You may have to pay to join the HGVC club since not all affiliate units are part of it. And from what I understand, you have to prepay your MF to borrow points from the next year. Otherwise, those points are the same as HGVC-developed points.

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
Not all affiliates ask you pay your dues in advance.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
which affiliate resort has relatively low buy in and low maintenance fee as a mean to get access to HGVC resorts? thanks