• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head Question

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had reservations for end of May, 2020 since last November, 2019. Now that the time to visit is near this pandemic has happened to all of us. My question is: With a May 23 stay what is your guess that the resorts and beaches will be open? What are the chances for us to enjoy this long awaited vacation?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My guess is no but I hope I am wrong.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine too...I wish I could say yes but it looks doubtful... the month of April will be telling. All we can do is wait and hope. Stay safe!!

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had reservations for end of May, 2020 since last November, 2019. Now that the time to visit is near this pandemic has happened to all of us. My question is: With a May 23 stay what is your guess that the resorts and beaches will be open? What are the chances for us to enjoy this long awaited vacation?
Can't say about your resort, but does it have private beach access? If so, you can probably enjoy the beach, unless the state closes them all which they still haven't done. If not, public beach accesses may still be closed. Pools may be closed. Dining-in areas of restaurants may still be closed but many will still have take pick-up / take-out I imagine. HHI town is asking owners and hotels/resorts to voluntarily not accept reservations for month of April, and non-essential businesses are closed for April.

I'd say your chances are shy of 50/50, but I'm also holding out hope. We own a vacation rental condo on HHI and I'm reading updates daily.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
We’re supposed to check in that weekend too. As of now, we’re staying at home, washing our hands and hoping others are doing the same. We already cancelled our key west reservation for this month, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
Unlikely. I have resrvation for HHI May 9 to 16. I am waiting until April 9 to cancel per RCI's 30 day covid cancellation policy.

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a reservations for Royal Dunes June 6-12. We have been told that if they are closed we can try to move our week (nothing is available though) or lose it. I could put my week into RCI, but I doubt I’d get anything for it.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your reply's If we have to cancel through RCI I doubt there will be anything to exchange into on HHI. Everyone will be rushing in to get what's available. I'm so sad about all this. Prayers to all for your safety.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Call them now - they can probably do for you now same as what they would do on April 9. They did for me.

I am waiting until April 9 to cancel per RCI's 30 day covid cancellation policy.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
We live in Shipyard full time. The POA, per the request of the town, has now closed the parking at the beach in Shipyard, even though it is private. In addition, commercial pools are now closed too. To be clear, the various neighborhoods / regimes within the plantation (e.g. Harbourmaster, Beachwalk, etc.) are also being interpreted as "commercial" pools, even though they are technically private.

As far as the beaches, the public access parking were officially closed for 60 days, starting on March 21st.

Paul

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
I would also be a bit wary of going to HHI in the near future. Beaufort County seems to have a fairly rapidly escalating case count, now at 130 and higher than many of the other coastal areas. We've been watching that one with interest since our return two weeks ago as we are within the incubation period.

Things were shutting down pretty rapidly when we were there, and if the resort pools are closed now, there won't be much of a vacation left.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a reservations for Royal Dunes June 6-12. We have been told that if they are closed we can try to move our week (nothing is available though) or lose it. I could put my week into RCI, but I doubt I’d get anything for it.
I dont know if you've stayed there before but I found the units super spacious and comfy. A nice resort friendly staff, nice walkway to beach.

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont know if you've stayed there before but I found the units super spacious and comfy. A nice resort friendly staff, nice walkway to beach.
We have and enjoyed it so much that we bought a week there. :) This will be our third trip if we're able to go.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wonderful... its,a place you never tire of... I hope you will be able to go !!! I love HHI !:):)

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I suspect that most places will try to open up by June 1st.
A hotel in Boston just cancelled me, saying they're closed until 5/31.
Whether or not one should go, is another question.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
My concern is, if beaches are open, will there be tons of people going who have been cooped up and want to get out? And it's Memorial Day weekend. We just made the decision for our NC beach house to not go even if beaches area open because of that concern. People are still supposed to be 6 feet apart thru end of May to keep virus down. Even if you adhere to that, it might be difficult to maintain.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had an early May week scheduled that we pushed out to June. I expect to do retrades until the beaches reopen.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed on Shipyard Plantation at the Spinnaker resort. A small resort with a private pool and an easy walk to the beach or you could ride your bikes to the beach. The resort provides two bikes for their guest to use for the week.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have also stayed at Royal Dunes with their three bedrooms unit.
Two master bedrooms and the third bedroom had twin beds.
There were four televisions in the unit.
The resort staff was very friendly and once per week. They had a cookout for guests around the pool. They served hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, pork & beans, sodas and deserts.

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a reservation at Marriott’s Barony May 29th. Still holding out hope. Happy to cook or order in and just relax. But only if pool and beach are open. Whether I cancel now or last minute doesn’t really matter at this point so I’m taking it day by day. And hoping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I think 5/29 might be OK. Of course, still taking precautions.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Just heard that FL is opening their beaches in Jacksonville. Maybe HH is not far behind.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
Jacksonville allows beach access but with maintaining social distancing. Primarily walking and exercise.

Hopefully HH beaches are next:

SC Gov. Henry McMaster issued an Executive Order to re-open boat landings, ramps and parking lots in South Carolina, effective Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just heard that FL is opening their beaches in Jacksonville. Maybe HH is not far behind.
I hope HHI do not open their public beaches until all is clear; unless there is social distancing..

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To Lisa8192
I hope all is clear by May 29, 2020 and you can have a relaxing week at the Barony.