• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head for Family Newbie

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
So daughter enjoyed Orlando so much, they are now hooked on Marriott.
(With two young boys, a kitchen and separate bedrooms is a treat)

They want to take their family (Two adults and two young kids) to Hilton Head.

Since that was never on my list I know nothing -

Questions:
What are the best family friendly Marriott's? (For Reference they loved Orlando Harbour Lake with the sports court and splash pool and mini-golf)

When do I need to start looking/requesting trade using II for Summer and which month is best bet?
Same question but using DC points?

Thanks

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
My vote is Grande Ocean.

Start early.....Mid to late August might be easiest part of summer to trade into and/or see availability via the DC.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
My vote is Grande Ocean.

Start early.....Mid to late August might be easiest part of summer to trade into and/or see availability via the DC.

+1

Grande Ocean is still my favorite HHI Marriott, and you can't beat the location.

Tunadavis

Reaction score
My wife and two teenage kids have loved surf watch because of the large rooms and the proximity to the beach and the fact that there are multiple pools.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My family loves Surfwatch and Grand Ocean but given the choice of both we would choose Surfwatch. Right behind those two would be Barony.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
SurfWatch is my favorite; Barony is Don's favorite - we'd both happily stay at ANY of the four beachfront Marriotts on the island. You can't go wrong. We also finally got a chance to stay at Harbour Point over in Shelter Cove and we'd stay there again, too, but if a beachfront resort with all the bells&whistles is what you want then that won't do.

I still feel the same way as I did when I wrote this a few years ago. Adding DC Points into the mix, I'd guess that getting a DC Points stay at any of the high-demand HHI intervals might be more difficult than Weeks stays through II, because not many intervals have been conveyed to the DC Trust and most owners use their intervals. It's doable, but with either II or the DC I'd put in the request as far in advance as possible, preferably at least 12 months out.

Good luck! :)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
SurfWatch is my favorite. My wife likes Grande Ocean.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty lucky with getting mid to late August reservations in South Carolina via Interval. In Michigan, we don't have school until Labor Day which is an advantage. It's a great time to go if you can. I matched Surfwatch one summer and I drove myself crazy wondering if maybe one of the others would be better. We loved Surfwatch and now realize that I probably wouldn't have been disappointed with any of them. Sometimes it's best just to pick your dates and let the fate of Interval decide which one you are going to. Always fun to get that email from Interval and hold your breath until you see where the next adventure takes you.

Last edited:

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I agree, Weimaraner! I love putting a bunch of requests in Interval and waiting for my "surprise" vacation. It's like shopping online and getting your "present" in the mail that you forgot you ordered!

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barony and then Surf Watch.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
You can have a great time at any marriott and given the short window to summer, this might be the best route. This being said if you look at this from a kids view... imho location...location...location and no one will convince me Sea Pines is not the best especially with younger kids if you have the choice. You have scenic bike riding with many paths, Habour Town, South Beach, tennis, crabbing and you are near miniature golf, restaurants and movies. This narrows it down to the Grand Ocean (beach) , Monarch (beach), Harbour Club and Heritage Club. If you needed to sleep more then six then you would rule out the Monarch.

Things to think about beach, pool or both are important....big resort (grand ocean) or smaller resorts (the rest)...the Heritage comes with free golf ( for adults), the Monarch comes with free tennis (but they may all). If it rains, the Grand Ocean has an indoor pool. If the beach is not a focus, the Heritage and Harbour club are at Harbour town which is nice and you can go to a really nice public beach club that is in Sea Pines if you want beach.

We enjoy the Monarch for the combination of beach, pool and smaller size. The smaller size let us give them a little more freedom It is an older resort but that had no significance to my two boys. No matter how nice the unit, they made it look like crap with cloths all over their room.

Our second choice would be the Grand Ocean. You will find that most people would make this their first choice and having stayed there I can understand why.

Last edited:

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
A nice added thing about Grande Ocean is you get a free pass to Sea Pines. And if you like biking you can rent bikes at GO and bike all the way through Sea Pines.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
If you're going in summer put your request in early and take what you get (within reason). If you're fortunate enough to land Grande Ocean, Barony Beach Club or Surfwatch then I'd take any of them like a shot.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
When do I need to start looking/requesting trade using II for Summer and which month is best bet?

It's not too early to start a request for summer 2017 now. If you aren't using a platinum week I would probably use the whole 2 br. Even using a platinum week if you are looking for Grand Ocean in anything other than the last 2 weeks of August, an OGS with a 2 br will have a better chance at matching.

I guess this shouldn't be a problem if they loved Orlando in the summer, but as much as my (extended) family likes Hilton Head, half wouldn't go in the summer even if that was the only time they could go. The other half would take it but would definitely prefer to go when it wasn't so hot.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoy the Monarch for the combination of beach, pool and smaller size. The smaller size let us give them a little more freedom It is an older resort but that had no significance to my two boys.

Monarch was always our first choice. It is right on the beach; the pavilion is next door; it is inside Sea Pines; the bike trail is right out front; it is equidistant to Harbour Town and South Beach by bike; it is also an easy bike ride to Coligny Circle; and for golfers there are 2 golf courses right across the street. It is true that it is an older resort and units are smaller which we overcame by buying a Crown Suite Week.

George

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
It is true that it is an older resort and units are smaller which we overcame by buying a Crown Suite Week.

George

The Crown Suite is the nicest unit of any timeshare unit I have seen. I own one of the units underneath it. One year i knocked on the door for the suite and asked for a tour.

mbeach89

TUG Member
Reaction score
Biking? Grande Ocean

I've stayed at Grande Ocean and Surfwatch. I like the villas in both, but for biking (which I enjoy)...hands down, Grande Ocean for it's close proximity to Sea Pines nature preserve.

*But....the 3 bedroom villas at Surfwatch are incredible (I think they sleep 12??)....but....especially the shower! I could spend a whole day in there!