• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head experts w/kid friendly question

Culli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking to head to Hilton Head with 3 kids summer of 2010 (ages 7, 4, 3) and trying for a trade through II. Yes I know it will be hard but want to get a request in to II now. What are your favorite resorts thru II. Thanks!!!

AMJ

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at Barony Beach Club, Grande Ocean, Monarch, and Surfwatch in Hilton Head. I love all of the resorts. I think that an exchange into a Marriott Hilton Head resort is difficult during the summer unless you are a Marriott owner.

Last edited:

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Any of the ones mentioned because they are beachfront so it's easier to take them in the resort for lunch or to rest and then you can head back to the beach or one parent can do this while the other stays at the beach or pool.

I visit HH every year and IMHO prefer Barony(great gym and spa), GO or Monarch. Monarch is not as large interior or new as the others but it is beachfront and it is in Sea Pines where the best bike trails are. Interiors were just redone but the units are 100-200 sq ft smaller than the others so 100 vs 1000 to 1200. I stayed there in 2008 to try it and I can see why Tuggers chose it. Monarch has twins beds in the 2nd bedroom. The others resorts have larger beds in the 2nd bedroom if that matters.

Surfwatch is the newest Marriott mid island. There is a long walkway to get to the beach where there is a large patio area with a pool and restroom. There are 2 and 3 bd units. I prefer the other Marriott locations to this one.

Royal Dunes are 3bd in Port Royal where Barony is and is a 5 minute walk to the beach. Same lot as Ocean Palms where there are 2 and 3 bd units formerly owned by Westin.

Lots of good reviews on Waterside by Spinnaker and from our last visit biking around the island it looked very clean outside and it's just off Pope Ave /Coligny area where there are many places to eat. There are 2 and 3 bd units.

Shipyard Plantation area resorts-nice bike trails but the resort are not beachfront so you may need to bike to or drive to drop off the family. Off Pope Ave and a very nice area. You'll need to read reviews on the resorts-Port Royal, Cottages at Shipyard,Spinnaker and Coral Reef come to mind.

Sea Pines-best bike trails. Swallowtail are nice townhouse units in Sea Pines. Small pool, great location no kids programs but it's a nice place and you are a few minutes from the beach.

Also in SP is Marriott Harbour Town- Roomy units across from the marina and a nice playground for the kids. Small pool and no activites. Need to go to Monarch for them.

Culli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any of the ones mentioned because they are beachfront so it's easier to take them in the resort for lunch or to rest and then you can head back to the beach or one parent can do this while the other stays at the beach or pool.

I visit HH every year and IMHO prefer Barony(great gym and spa), GO or Monarch. Monarch is not as large interior or new as the others but it is beachfront and it is in Sea Pines where the best bike trails are. Interiors were just redone but the units are 100-200 sq ft smaller than the others so 100 vs 1000 to 1200. I stayed there in 2008 to try it and I can see why Tuggers chose it. Monarch has twins beds in the 2nd bedroom. The others resorts have larger beds in the 2nd bedroom if that matters.

Surfwatch is the newest Marriott mid island. There is a long walkway to get to the beach where there is a large patio area with a pool and restroom. There are 2 and 3 bd units. I prefer the other Marriott locations to this one.

Royal Dunes are 3bd in Port Royal where Barony is and is a 5 minute walk to the beach. Same lot as Ocean Palms where there are 2 and 3 bd units formerly owned by Westin.

Lots of good reviews on Waterside by Spinnaker and from our last visit biking around the island it looked very clean outside and it's just off Pope Ave /Coligny area where there are many places to eat. There are 2 and 3 bd units.

Shipyard Plantation area resorts-nice bike trails but the resort are not beachfront so you may need to bike to or drive to drop off the family. Off Pope Ave and a very nice area. You'll need to read reviews on the resorts-Port Royal, Cottages at Shipyard,Spinnaker and Coral Reef come to mind.

Sea Pines-best bike trails. Swallowtail are nice townhouse units in Sea Pines. Small pool, great location no kids programs but it's a nice place and you are a few minutes from the beach.

Also in SP is Marriott Harbour Town- Roomy units across from the marina and a nice playground for the kids. Small pool and no activites. Need to go to Monarch for them.

Thanks for the write up, great info. Like AMJ stated without a marriott to use their internal exchange I doubt I have any shot. But got my requests and hope to get something out there. Many have said hard to go wrong on HH so maybe I get something!

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If nothing comes up for you at a Marriott Resort.....then I would definitely consider Waterside by Spinnaker. They have wonderful pools for children and the rooms are very nice, clean and spacious. They have a special luncheon at the pool once a week and also a "make your own sundae" with all the trimmings for the kids on the porch and activities for kids. It is not difficult to get a three bedroom unit and they are great. You can walk to the beach or use their transportation, which will take you directly to the beach. You are also within walking distance to grocery shopping, restaurants, souvioner shopping and entertainment all at Cologny Plaza. Give it a try, I don't think you will be sorry. We liked it so much we bought a 3 BR week there. Have a good vacation..you will love HHI.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If you can travel in early June, your chances of getting a trade are much better. Some of the southern schools don't get out until mid-June, so the congestion is much lighter as well. We've traveled the 2nd week of June for years and the weather is usually beautiful (80s during the day) without the oppressive humidity of July and August.

My favorite TS is the Marriott Monarch because it's in Sea Pines. I'd also recommend checking out rentals on MonarchOwners.com. Most are very reasonably priced.

Culli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok I can get Marriott's Harbour Point at Shelter Cove in July. With a 7, 5 and 3 old will this be ok? From the reveiws it sounds like it is off the beach and small pools? Will the kids like it?

pcgirl54 is this the same as your comment - Also in SP is Marriott Harbour Town- Roomy units across from the marina and a nice playground for the kids. Small pool and no activites. Need to go to Monarch for them? We don't mind walking is monarch a long walk?

Thanks again everyone! We like resorts where you don't have to leave for fun, we don't mind leaving but like to relax and walk to most places.

Last edited: