• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head early plane arrival....

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter/son-in-law and two toddler grandsons are arriving by plane at 11am (we are driving but won't get there till early afternoon at the very earliest). We can not officially check in to our "private" rental on Sea Pines until 4pm. They won't have a car & will have luggage for 4 people. Where do they go...at least for a couple hours till we get there. Called the Westin and Sonesta for day passes but they said NO. Any other ideas....because of the luggage (2 carseats/stroller) and the need for bathrooms just heading to the beach might not work too well (they can try uber or a taxi for transportation). What do they do with luggage?.....By 1 or 2 pm when we arrive we hope to ask the rental to "hold our luggage" while they continue to finish cleaning and we can go to the beach club at Sea Pines (but the rental has late check out so previous guests probably won't be gone till 11am). I know HHI well....but I need ideas........Thanks.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I’d rent a hotel room somewhere and just ditch the night. Then arrive early and have them hold the luggage and use resort facilities if they cannot check in early. You could also use the facilities the next day as well. We’ve gotten a room at Disney hhi resort before just to use their facilities for 2 days. Disney hhi might be a bit pricey, but would be excellent for this purpose.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
If they're arriving at the airport at 11am and you'll be there 1-2pmish, they could just grab their luggage and find a place to eat at the airport... then just hang out until you get there (assuming there are eat-in restaurants at the airport... and you'll have room in your vehicle to pick them up with luggage). That could keep them a few hours.

Maybe better than roaming in the hot sun with kids and luggage in tow.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If they're arriving at the airport at 11am and you'll be there 1-2pmish, they could just grab their luggage and find a place to eat at the airport... then just hang out until you get there (assuming there are eat-in restaurants at the airport... and you'll have room in your vehicle to pick them up with luggage). That could keep them a few hours.
Or a restaurant or cafe near Sea Pines with shaded outdoor seating -- which describes most restaurants in HHI. Maybe something around Coligny.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Normally I would say have them rent a car for the day just to have somewhere to put the carseats and luggage but one day rental is around $125+ these days.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which airport?
They are flying into HHI.....so they'll be right on the island.
Any ideas for an inexpensive hotel....maybe one near (not necessarily "on") the ocean (there is NO hotel/resort on HHI that provides shuttle service....so they will need to get a taxi). Booking the Sonesta or Westin for the day is pretty expensive not to be sleeping there. I did look up car rentals and since it's September they might possibly pay under $100/day....and that's a good place to "store" all the luggage, etc.....then maybe a nice lunch somewhere or the park (there are a couple of beach access points that have restrooms). I do not know if we will have room for everyone plus our luggage (bikes, cooler, etc) in our vehicle.....we had hoped to unload before picking them up at the airport. Thanks for the input.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't overthink this one. Sitting in the airport for a couple of hours isn't going to kill them. By the time they get their luggage it will be close to 11:30. They could try to get food delivered if they need to eat.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Did you check with the resort to see if they could wait there? Call an Uber to get to Resort, then use the restrooms, have lunch. That’s what I suggest.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Western Ocean Breeze Inn could be a less expensive option, not too far from the beach (South Forest Beach / Coligny area) - close to our own HHI condo, so we know and like the neighborhood, and they could walk down to the Alder Lane beach access, next to Marriott Grande Ocean, which has restrooms, water fountain, showers etc. Holiday Inn Express is even closer to the beach, same neighborhood, we've attended meetings there and it seemed pretty decent, probably a bit pricier due to beach-proximity. You can google and try booking.com for many options.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Just FYI, we just got back from HHI and tried to hail an Uber several times, but nobody responded. I read that they make the drivers pay for a $225 annual pass or the daily gate fee, and I guess nobody is willing to do that.

Re your dilemma: I have this issue often when I travel to Hawaii and there are only a few options, already mentioned:

1) Rent a car and store your luggage in it while you (eat lunch/go to the park/beach).
2) Take a taxi to a public park or beach (or SeaPines Beach club) that has restrooms and some picnic tables, grab some lunch then play. But you'll have to haul your belongings with you. Been there, done that, albeit not with young kids.
3) Take a taxi to a hotel that you've rented for one night so that the kids can nap/play in the pool. Been there, done that, too.
4) Contact the owner and ask if you can stow your luggage in the garage/inside once they arrive. If they allow it (and many do), that makes it much easier. You can either take a taxi to SPBC and have lunch/rent chairs and hang out/nap til check-in OR you can arrange for bikes and a Kiddie Kart to be delivered in time to bike to the SPBC or HarbourTown.

The only other option I can think of is to hire either a tour driver or private boat captain for a half day. Have the driver meet you at the airport and load your luggage into his van, or take a taxi to the boat ramp and load up all your belongings on the boat.

(HH Charters picked us up at the boat ramp across from Pinckney's, which is not too far from the HHI airport.)

Personally, if I was traveling w/ toddlers, I'd opt for #3. This might be a great use of hotel points, if you have them. But reserve early because HHI has been packed and stacked since May. My BIL was traveling from Outer Banks to HHI and had a 1 night gap between check out and check in. Nothing was available within 50 miles. He and his 7 children (!) had to stay with his cousin who owns a small condo in Sea Pines.