• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Grand Vacations resale feasibility and Wyndham VIP resale

djro

Reaction score
We have tried out several types of timeshares using Hilton Grand and Wyndham's introductory plans. We have found we enjoyed them both and are looking to buy resale. We thought about purchasing points from both Hilton and Wyndham to give us options. Any thoughts about this?

Also, when we went for our last Hilton check-in we were told by the Hilton sales person that since Hilton has First right of refusal very rarely would a Hilton timeshare be available through the resale market. We have seen several on the Timeshare market place, what's the likelihood of those purchases really going through if Hilton is buying them all up?

We are also interested in Wyndham's CWA. Through Tugg market place I have found several under Wyndham VIP, is this a legit resale broker?

Bill4728

Reaction score
The HGVC salesmen don't want you to buy resale weeks therefore told you that resale weeks generally don't pass ROFR. Baloney

BTW HGVC doesn't have points. Their weeks are assigned points but you own a week at a resort. Hilton Vacation club HVC (AKA Diamond Resorts) has both weeks and points.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We picked up a freebie (just paid closing costs and transfer fees) CWA contract last year. If I were to do it again, i would probably watch out for a better MF/1000 point CWS contract.

Volkyro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Regal Vistas
If you really just want in the HGVC ecosystem, someone is desperately trying to get rid of a silver week in the giveaway forum. I'm not sure what amount you'd need to get passed ROFR, but it's likely not high.

djro

Reaction score
Are all of the for sale timeshare listings under the TUGG timeshare marketplace legit or do I need to do my homework? There are several for Wyndham CWA under a listing called Wyndham VIP, they look very tempting but I can't find anything about the company or listing owner.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I can tell you the easy way (and some would argue the best way) to get HGVC is buy from Craig in Scotland. Get at least 11,200pts IMHO, so 2BR platinum season. The MFs are very low on those. I paid about the same for a 2BR week in Florida, and after the broker fees, MF reimbursement, closing costs etc it was about the same or more than from Craig direct. And my MFs are about $500 more a year for the same points. I low key want to pick up a Craig week myself.

I also got Club Wyndham Select/Plus?? Not CWA. I think there are a number of properties for less than CWA MF prices, and still cheap on eBay, which is where I got mine.

TBH, I feel like for my travels, the 11,200pts is more than I need for 1 week off season, but not enough for 2 weeks. That said, I can save or borrow points, and HGVC locations are kind of limited. I think the worst thing would be Hawaii if I wanted to try for a newer location, they are very expensive in points vs the older locations that are the "standard" 11,200pts.

Wyndham I mostly feel like I could use any points I have - I got 405,000 and could easily use more than that. But I don't want to lock in the MFs right now. Wyndham has options just about anywhere HGVC has in the US, but they're not quite as nice or not quite as nice a location. That said, you can easily get lots of points for not much up front from Wyndham on eBay, and there are free options too for smaller point values. The thing about Wyndham is that if you're flexible, you can often get them on RCI Extra Vacations for less than the MF cost for the points. So that can argue against it - at least for overbuilt areas.

The logic behind my point values was to get enough points to get a 2BR for a week at around 90% of the locations in the system. Your needs will vary. It certainly is doable resale, and recommended.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Go to the HGVC Forum. At the top of the page, there's a section called ROFR Exercised/Passed.

The conventional wisdom is that ROFR is being exercised on Myrtle Beach contracts but not so much elsewhere.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I own both Wyndham and HGVC. I also own others.

HGVC mainly has a lot of a resorts in a few areas, and a one resort in a few other places. I don't have MAX just HGVC. I like Hilton units and generally their attitude and desire to be somewhat helpful.

Wyndham (with WM) has a lotta, lotta resorts, everywhere. So that is good for other purposes. And you can use it to align up a cross country road trip.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are all of the for sale timeshare listings under the TUGG timeshare marketplace legit or do I need to do my homework? There are several for Wyndham CWA under a listing called Wyndham VIP, they look very tempting but I can't find anything about the company or listing owner.
if you mean legit as in not scams or fake listings then yes they are legitimate.

however before you buy any timeshare you need to do your homework! just because its being offered for free doesnt make it any less of a risk to buy without doing the proper research to know what you are getting!

Chris-ATX

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
The conventional wisdom is that ROFR is being exercised on Myrtle Beach contracts but not so much elsewhere.
This is what I've been hearing - HGVC in S Carolina is being exercised, unless it is >~$2/point. I heard this from one of the timeshare MLS broker people.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I own both Wyndham and HGVC. I also own others.

HGVC mainly has a lot of a resorts in a few areas, and a one resort in a few other places. I don't have MAX just HGVC. I like Hilton units and generally their attitude and desire to be somewhat helpful.

Wyndham (with WM) has a lotta, lotta resorts, everywhere. So that is good for other purposes. And you can use it to align up a cross country road trip.

HGVC's list of destinations has increased a lot but it's because of an arrangement with Great Wolf Lodges, which are outrageously expensive when using HGVC points. Looks good but not very useful.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
We have both HGVC and Wyndham as our portfolio. Started out with HGVC and then picked up Wyndham as they have several locations in one of our desired locations.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Also, when we went for our last Hilton check-in we were told by the Hilton sales person that since Hilton has First right of refusal very rarely would a Hilton timeshare be available through the resale market. We have seen several on the Timeshare market place, what's the likelihood of those purchases really going through if Hilton is buying them all up?
:rolleyes: HGVC will say anything to convince you that retail is the only way to go. There are plenty of people on these boards who bought HGVC resale.

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
Did an owner's update VIP presentation today. Some observations are as follows:

MAX doesn't transfer las resale, like it was good thing for me the buyer. I'm paying extra to buy something I can't sell. Perhaps his point was this is the only way to get it, but 90% of the time was spent on DEX. He had me confused which probably it was also the point.

We mentioned we only have 2 weeks of vacation a year and he then described how we owned enough pints for 5 weeks of vacation.

They claim Hilton is buying all the deeds backs. Not true. Couldn't get the words in to ROFR.net, but it was spiraling by then.

They claim Hilton is upgrading all the units, since they can afford it. Not true. I had to mention, my MFs include improvements and capital expenses.

The kicker... MAX is the way forward, everything else will be worthless..... My resales were worthless and he could save me today.

Said I didn't have the money to pay today and so he went the TO and came back to pitch a EOY Silver Elara Studio for $20k or something.

We left.

Only thing learned is the way they are spinning MAX seems like they want it to replace RCI and Interval. He did a 24 month search for property options in California. Took forever to load and was not even something we were interested in.