• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Grand Vacations Default and Resale Purchase

CatherineS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
We attended a HGVC presentation earlier this year and purchased 3500 points every other year for $11,000. After doing some research online we learned that we had made a huge mistake.

Fast forward a few months and we are now closing on a better deal for twice the amount of points with a better season and at a nicer resort. For $400 instead of $11000 it was a no brainer. Hilton waived their right of first refusal and the only thing we are waiting for now is for our account to be set up.

The problem right now is that our original contract has a past due balance and a maintenance fee that hasn’t been paid. I have had this burning question and I probably should have looked into this before purchasing resale but since we aren’t able to use the points in our original contract due to the past due balance, would HGVC also place the same restrictions on our resale contract once it closes? I am sure they can put two and two together and figure out that we are the same people that defaulted on our original contract. The last thing I want is to have two contracts with points that I am unable to use and be forced to pay the maintenance fee and past due balance on my original contract anyway. Am I worrying over nothing?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Oops, I dont think you are worrying over nothing. We usually advise people buying resale to title the deed with the same names as the existing HGVC account so they will join the contracts into the same account. In your case it would have been better not to do that.

If your account is frozen for non payment of dues it will affect all the contracts/points in the account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CatherineS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Oops, I dont think you are worrying over nothing. We usually advise people buying resale to title the deed with the same names as the existing HGVC account so they will join the contracts into the same account. In your case it would have been better not to do that.

If your account is frozen for non payment of dues it will affect all the contracts/points in the account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We didn’t provide our member number on our new contract. I think we will have to pay the club fee again but it will be worth it if we can use our points.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If they ever find out they will likely freeze your account, then you will have to backpay a lot of MF without getting to use the points. Why don't you pay up the account before MF get too out of hand and then sell it/give it away? Another option is to rent it out if it will cover MF until you can give it away.

If you have a loan, then hmm...not sure what to do. You may be stuck until you pay it off.

Last edited:

CatherineS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
If they ever find out they will likely freeze your account, then you will have to backpay a lot of MF without getting to use the points. Why don't you pay up the account before MF get too out of hand and then sell it/give it away? Another option is to rent it out if it will cover MF until you can give it away.

If you have a loan, then hmm...not sure what to do. You may be stuck until you pay it off.

The maintenance fee for our original contract is really high ($1400) and the points are not worth it. I might just have to lose the $400 + closing fees on the new contract and let our original contract foreclose and go to collections. If we purchase through resale after being sent to collections then they wouldn’t have a reason to freeze our points.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Well...you asked for our opinion. You don't care what defaulting will do to your credit score? This could affect your ability to buy a house/refinance, insurance rates, credit cards.

IMHO...I would just pay it off and give it away on TUG if it is paid for rather than dealing with collections and credit score drop. Alternatively see if HGVC will take a deedback (however they will expect you to be current.) Expensive lesson. However if you were willing to drop $11,000 to buy this in the first place you can certainly afford $1400 to pay it off. You could then use the points as an enticement for someone to take it off of your hands.

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I don’t think any one knows for sure whether or not HGVC scans recent foreclosures against new transfers (names and addresses). They have the right to refuse a transfer if they choose to do so.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
We attended a HGVC presentation earlier this year and purchased 3500 points every other year for $11,000. After doing some research online we learned that we had made a huge mistake.

Fast forward a few months and we are now closing on a better deal for twice the amount of points with a better season and at a nicer resort. For $400 instead of $11000 it was a no brainer. Hilton waived their right of first refusal and the only thing we are waiting for now is for our account to be set up.

The problem right now is that our original contract has a past due balance and a maintenance fee that hasn’t been paid. I have had this burning question and I probably should have looked into this before purchasing resale but since we aren’t able to use the points in our original contract due to the past due balance, would HGVC also place the same restrictions on our resale contract once it closes? I am sure they can put two and two together and figure out that we are the same people that defaulted on our original contract. The last thing I want is to have two contracts with points that I am unable to use and be forced to pay the maintenance fee and past due balance on my original contract anyway. Am I worrying over nothing?

7,000 points for $400? That is a great price. Care to share some details?

CatherineS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
7,000 points for $400? That is a great price. Care to share some details?

I should have specified. When I said twice the amount of points I meant that instead of 3500 every other year, it was 3500 every year. I found the listing on Redweek and had a good experience. It was Elara/Gold/3500 points every year. Sadly I will not go through with it because of the high risk of the points being frozen upon transfer.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We didn’t provide our member number on our new contract. I think we will have to pay the club fee again but it will be worth it if we can use our points.
I didn't provide my member number when I purchased resale, they matched up my name/address from the recorded deed and added it to my existing account.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk