• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hiking boots

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I loved all my old Solomon boots, but the new ones just don’t feel good on my old feet. I agree--but once I broke the new ones in, they felt as good/better than the 4 prior pairs of old ones.

I like LLBEAN and Salomon.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Rockport walking shoes - the best! I literally wore mine to pieces - and the style I loved isn’t made anymore. I also had a hiking boot from them that I loved! Wish I had gotten the boots re-soled rather than toss as the leather uppers were still good.
Have several Keens and Teva’s for walking and not too sandy or rocky hiking or walking too.
One thing I’ve learned- it’s well worth spending the money on a well fitted well made shoe- the first time I spent almost $200 on a work shoe that I could also use for walking (walk a lot in my job) I had to grit my teeth, but that shoe has been my go to for a while now.

Years ago my father in law was really into Rick Steves Travel and back then Rick Steves was really into a certain Rockport walking/hiking shoe. Back then I liked anything he didn't but he bought me a pair for Christmas so I thought I would wear them out real fast while working. It turned out that these were probably the best pair of any shoe I ever owned.

I have a couple pairs of Rockport shoes that are lightweight, waterproof, comfortable and nice enough looking to go to nice places.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have had the same hiking shoes for 21 years! I do not like my ankles covered despite the supposed safety so these do not come up to the ankle. I even hiked up Mt. Mansfield in them. They are Winners brand I bought in Sears for $30!

Honestly, I cannot kill thse things and they are so comfortable I hope I never have to replace them. LOL!

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rockport walking shoes - the best! I literally wore mine to pieces - and the style I loved isn’t made anymore.

I wore exclusively Rockport walking shoes for years and years -- to work, to hike in, everywhere. Alas, about 5 (or 6 or 8) years ago, they seem to have changed their manufacturing. Moved overseas, I think. What used to last for several years of constant use, now wore out in a couple of months. I've had to switch brands.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
They were very comfortable right out of the Box and have held up.
Exactly! I meant to say that, too :) These days, one should find the shoe acceptable when trying it on. It's the old, old leather boots which had to be broke in.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had the same hiking shoes for 21 years! I do not like my ankles covered despite the supposed safety so these do not come up to the ankle. I even hiked up Mt. Mansfield in them. They are Winners brand I bought in Sears for $30!

Honestly, I cannot kill thse things and they are so comfortable I hope I never have to replace them. LOL!

You *really* should replace them. The nails in the sole are probably rusted. Or are you also a Civil War re-enactor and you use them for your battleground nurse role?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I had two pairs of Merrell mid and I worn them out. Each lasted about 2-3 years. Merrell Moab 2 is very comfortable and didn’t need to break in. I just bought Keen Targhee III waterproof mid from REI. Before I bought it, I also asked around to see what my friends like, and was all set to buy either Salomon or Oboz. The Staff at REI was very knowledgeable, let me try different brands and I found Keen fits me the best. BTW, you really should try before you buy. Different brands size differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vikingsholm

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hike all the time, and can go through boots pretty fast. I also don't like paying a whole lot of money for them, there are deals out there.

The best pair I had was Zamberlan, an Italian boot maker. I got a pair at REI back around 2013 or so. Walked into REI, they were closing out the brand. They happened to have one pair left, and it was exactly my size. A $225 boot on sale for $65. First place I used them was in the Austrian Alps, a nice way to break them in. Lasted me a good 3-4 years.

Next, I got a promotion to shop at the local Columbia brand employee outlet, where things are about half price. Got a pair for around $60, which I just wore out recently. Tried to go back there again last month, but my most recent promotion had expired, so no luck. Went to REI instead, found a nice pair of Timberland hiking boots for $99 and bought those. Have used them twice so far, like them pretty well, though they're not as well crafted as the Zamberlans.

Then on a recent Costco trip, stumbled into a section of hiking boots for sale. Couldn't resist buying a second pair to complement my new Timberlands. These are a pair of Khombu's, which I'd never heard of. A bit lighter duty than the Timberlands, but should work just fine for most trails. About to try them out on our current trip to NCV and Palm Desert over the next few weeks.

The price? $19. Unreal.