• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hiking boots

geekette

Reaction score
I need to replace my hiking boots. I am not loyal to any brand, so seeking suggestions from those who may be!

I'd like waterproof, but ok with water resistant. Not sure snake bite proof is a thing, but throw that out there just in case. Warm matters. I am one of those that has to stop for the day once my feet are cold.

Ideally, they'd be lightweight, but I would accept "takes a beating, last for years" instead. Comfort a priority. They will be going up and down hills and rocks, probably mud, for years. Serious tread to keep me from slipping is probably a normal feature, but I mention it in case I need to rule some brand/model out. I have had shoes that were great, uppers last and last, but tread gone way too fast.

I have suggestions to go to REI but I'd like to narrow the brand field before that. Dick's Sporting Goods is near me but I have always found their prices to be much higher than anywhere else on most any item.

Anyone have some faves? Or, suggest a better retailer than I'm considering?

thanks for ideas!

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have always liked Merrell but honestly fit is probably more important than brand as long as it is not a real cheap brand.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll second Merrell, particularly my current version of the Moab 2 Mid Ventilator. DH and I regularly hike on rocky terrain, with snow and mud, and these boots are great. DH needed a new pair of boots and I convinced him to get a pair, too. He's very happy with them.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Mine are Merrell as well.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ended up with Columbia Redmond Waterproof hiking shoe. I tried a couple Merrell styles and didn't fit my feet right, but I was going more for a shoe type and not boot type. I have worn the Columbia's all over hiking with very minimal breaking in and they are really comfortable, good grip for scrambling over rock

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Keen on my feet, however I cannot stand water proof ones. We hike in pretty rocky terrain and it is mostly dry here.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
Wow, a clear favorite!!!!

Thanks for these early returns!

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Hate to go against the crowd, but I need to give props to a pair of Keen hiking shoes that I’ve had for at least two years. Very comfortable and have held up really well and I think check all your boxes (Except the snow as they are lower cut). I also have a pair of Keen boots that I use in the snow and when we go snowshoeing. I’ve had Merrill’s before and really do prefer the Keen‘s. I think I bought the boots at EMS (now closed near me) and the shoes at LL Bean, but could be wrong on that.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Bought my current pair at REI: Oboz was a brand I didn't know, but I've come to like them very much.

REI will have a nice selection of brands for you to try on.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Bought my current pair at REI: Oboz was a brand I didn't know, but I've come to like them very much.

REI will have a nice selection of brands for you to try on.
Mine are Oboz. Second pair from REI. They fitted me and suggested them and I love them! Super sturdy soles for the rocky terrain here.

Warmth is mostly a function of the socks. I've gone back to wearing two pair, starting with the thin liners. My feet have been much happier! For the outer layer, you can buy various thicknesses of wool socks. This is why I bought a second pair in a larger size - more room for socks. I still have the first pair. Nice to be able to offer my guests a pair of hiking shoes :)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Girl - I have three! For heavy duty hiking I have Merrells too. I love them but they are heavy. For trails that's aren't too rocky or when it's hot, I have Keens. They are not waterproof but unless I may get wet I have started to use these more than the Merrells. They are cooler, lighter, and larger in the toe box. Plus they have that large Keen toe protection. I actually love my Keen's the most, but for rocky trails the soles are not enough. After 5 or 6 miles the bottoms of my feet feel bruised. They are perfectly fine for hikes under 6 miles. Lastly I have Merrell trail runners for trails that don't require boots. I bought those before the Keens and probably wouldn't buy them again. I am way past running on trails, and all things being equal I am going to reach for the Keens. I also have two pairs of Keen water sandals and those are awesome for anything near the water.

For good prices check out 6pm.com. You can always return them (double check their return policy though). Sometimes I find them sold on Amazon so you get free shipping.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Mine are Merrell as well.
Me too. I have 4 pair. When they start to look worn out, I buy a new pair, but save the old ones for working around the house in the mud and snow.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Me too. I have 4 pair. When they start to look worn out, I buy a new pair, but save the old ones for working around the house in the mud and snow.
Same here. I had five, but just threw out a Jungle Moc pair yesterday that was over 12 years old. No real tread remaining, but the outside was still good and they kept my feet dry and warm in the Canadian winters. So now I'm down to four pairs of Merrels (current favorite are the ColdPack Ice+ Moc).

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
This thread is turning into a confession. I suppose people who like the outdoors tend to collect shoes of this type. Buying a new shoe is a guilty pleasure, like planning the next vacation.

Mea culpa. I have 3. The Oboz is my primary hiker, but I've also got an older Merrell shoe and a Salomon shoe. (My old Keen finally fell apart after many years of service.)

I'm pretty sure that the Oboz is a Sawtooth mid-height. Great ankle support. I had a broken ankle a few years ago, so ankle support has become very important to me. The Merrell and Salomon are low rise shoes, and that's why I only wear them now on flat terrain or city streets.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I like Danner and more specifically the Danner Mountain God Boot aka the 600 series. Light weight, waterproof, tough as nails, grippy soles, ankle support, breathable and good looking is how I would describe them.

Bill

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
(My old Keen finally fell apart after many years of service.)
I had a pair of *hand-me-down* Keen water shoes. My daughter's friend gave them to her because they were too small, they were too big for my daughter, so I was lucky owner number 3. I wore those things for years - both in the water and when hiking near the beach because I could wear them in the sand and also hike up the bluffs. All was well for ten years until, of all things, the soles of those shoes just came unglued - on Moorea (French Polynesia) of all places! We needed them for our Tradewinds cruise. We drove over to the only grocery store on the island which was a grocery/drug/hardware/clothing store. I decided to look for something similar to gorilla glue. Everything was in French and I was worried about finding the right adhesive when all of the sudden I saw a package with a drawing of shoes with their soles coming off! What are the odds? We bought it and brought it back to the hotel, then used Google translate to read the instructions which involved applying it to both the shoe and the sole. It never really dried all the way but it kept the sole attached to the sandal for the whole trip and I sadly tossed them when I got home.

Of course I went out and bought two more pairs of Keen sandals.

geekette

Reaction score
Wow, this is outstanding information!! I can't thank y'all enough!

I had a friend that loved Keens, but glad someone mentioned Danner and Columbia, and Oboz, which I had not heard of.

It is super helpful to have the backstory for what they were used for. I hadn't expected to hear about sand, but, here in the next few days, I will be at the beach....

Oh boy, sounds like I will have a line up.

Can't wait until I get the hikers bought and then ask, for steel-toe work boots, what do you like ....?

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We have always liked Merrell but honestly fit is probably more important than brand as long as it is not a real cheap brand.
I'm a Merrell fan as well. Best fit for me. I also bought a pair of Hoka One One that several friends swear by.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Can't wait until I get the hikers bought and then ask, for steel-toe work boots, what do you like ....?

Rockport is the brand I like for work boots because they are very comfortable and very durable. Same goes for their walking shoes.

Bill

TTSDavid

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TheTravelSecret
I need to replace my hiking boots. I am not loyal to any brand, so seeking suggestions from those who may be!

I'd like waterproof, but ok with water resistant. Not sure snake bite proof is a thing, but throw that out there just in case. Warm matters. I am one of those that has to stop for the day once my feet are cold.

Ideally, they'd be lightweight, but I would accept "takes a beating, last for years" instead. Comfort a priority. They will be going up and down hills and rocks, probably mud, for years. Serious tread to keep me from slipping is probably a normal feature, but I mention it in case I need to rule some brand/model out. I have had shoes that were great, uppers last and last, but tread gone way too fast.

I have suggestions to go to REI but I'd like to narrow the brand field before that. Dick's Sporting Goods is near me but I have always found their prices to be much higher than anywhere else on most any item.

Anyone have some faves? Or, suggest a better retailer than I'm considering?

thanks for ideas!
I found this article, maybe you are interested: https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-hiking-boots
I personally like Merrell

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I bought Men's Pike Ridge Red Head with 3M Thinsulate. They are also water Resistant. They were very comfortable right out of the Box and have held up.

Last edited:

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going against the crowd here. I wear 7 to 71/2 wide because I have a large bunion on the left foot as well as smaller heels. And I need to put orthotics in as well as a lift pad on the left foot.
I find Salomon fits me best. Wide enough and comfortable. I have a waterproof Gortex pair and a regular pair. I also have a pair called Vasque which I think I got on Amazon or Overstocks cause the reviews were sooo good. Very inexpensive. Well made. Waterproof but not sweaty. I got them because we went to Jordan and spent several days walking in sand and rocks and I wanted something higher than my hiking shoes and non-porous enough to keep sand out.
We are going to the Smoky Mountains next week in our RV and I plan on taking all three pairs.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the key take away is that everyone’s feet are different. What works for one might be painful for someone else. I loved all my old Solomon boots, but the new ones just don’t feel good on my old feet. Heck, my day shoes are Allbirds slip ons, and I thought I’d try the wool runners - I absolutely hated them!

Best to try several boots and pick what feels good to you.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rockport is the brand I like for work boots because they are very comfortable and very durable. Same goes for their walking shoes.

Bill
Rockport walking shoes - the best! I literally wore mine to pieces - and the style I loved isn’t made anymore. I also had a hiking boot from them that I loved! Wish I had gotten the boots re-soled rather than toss as the leather uppers were still good.
Have several Keens and Teva’s for walking and not too sandy or rocky hiking or walking too.
One thing I’ve learned- it’s well worth spending the money on a well fitted well made shoe- the first time I spent almost $200 on a work shoe that I could also use for walking (walk a lot in my job) I had to grit my teeth, but that shoe has been my go to for a while now.