• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Highlands Inn Carmel, California

BOC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to trade into Highlands Inn in Carmel, California (A Hyatt Residence Club Resort)?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I have seen availability from time to time using my Starwood traders (SDO). Only winter weeks and not frequently, but I have seen them.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen availability from time to time using my Starwood traders (SDO). Only winter weeks and not frequently, but I have seen them.

I saw a winter week once. Is the scarcity because they are typically used or rented out, or do they get gobbled up within Hyatt's internal exchange system or something?

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt in Carmel and sunset Harbour are often in high demand with HRC owner. I have heard of people that traded into Highlands inn but I think more in Feb / winter kind of timeframe.

Hyatt has a corporate II account and mandatory for all owners.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We have traded in twice. Last Feb and this coming feb

The first time we had a great ocean view 1 bd and incredible weather ( about 70 every day) it is up on a hill, about 5 miles beyond Carmel in what is called the carmel highlands.

It has a great cafe for breakfast and lunch and an award winning restaurant with outstanding views for dinner.

The unit has daily maid service and a wood burning fireplace which they restock every day.

We had some problems with noise from the people below us because they kept their TV on all night!!

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traded in to a 1 bedroom ocean view last Christmas using a one bedroom Marriott, thanks to a post on the sightings board here. We gave it to my brother, who had a great second story end unit next to one of the outdoor hot tubs and with parking nearby.

Fayeoctober

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were able to trade in to the Highlands Inn this past May. We used our Manor Club in Williamsburg and did it as a request first type transaction. I believe I started the process September a year ago requesting a high demand summer week from Marriott. I advised Interval that they had to near the end of the calendar year because otherwise I was going to turn it back to Marriott for points. The one concession I made was that I was willing to take a one bedroom unit sleeping four even though we were trading a two bedroom unit sleeping six. (I don't think there are many two bedrooms at the Highlands Inn.) Anyway, while the unit we received had more of a garden view than an ocean view, we did have the benefit of two bathrooms. I was amazed we were able to get the trade and while it took at least two months, it ultimately came through. Good luck. The Highlands Inn is wonderful and more like a hotel than any timeshare I have been to. There was daily maid service.

SunandFun83

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
Highlands - availability

I am a Marriott owner, but I hated the skim in the Destinations point system. My emotional response was to run out and buy a Hyatt because the system has many advantages including that a 2,000 point 2br platinum is 2,000 points to book any 2,000 point 2br plat.

I recommend you consider going to Highlands for 2 or 3 nights on the sales promotion. See hyattvacationclub.com special offers. The reason Hyatt weeks are so scarce in II is that a Hyatt owner does not deposit a week, they deposit a number of points defined by unit size and season. Hyatt and II work out the details about what II gets, but they do not get my 2br platinum February week.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Highlands Inn

The one concession I made was that I was willing to take a one bedroom unit sleeping four even though we were trading a two bedroom unit sleeping six. (I don't think there are many two bedrooms at the Highlands Inn.) Anyway, while the unit we received had more of a garden view than an ocean view, we did have the benefit of two bathrooms. I was amazed we were able to get the trade and while it took at least two months, it ultimately came through. Good luck. The Highlands Inn is wonderful and more like a hotel than any timeshare I have been to. There was daily maid service.

There are 5 two bedroom units. We stayed in one in August. We did not have any view from our unit-had to go out on balcony to see water.

I prefer the two story 1 bedroom 1 3/4 bath units. Cost me fewer points and last time I got one with a fantastic view.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if unit 213 has an ocean view?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it.