• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

High MF on Resales

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
Hi. Is it common for resales to have high MFs? I'm finding Wyndham with 4000+ for 300k points and more. Currently fees are as follows 180 for 300k, about 500 for 800k points. These high cost resales with high MFs are more expensive than buying direct. Am I missing something?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Hi. Is it common for resales to have high MFs? I'm finding Wyndham with 4000+ for 300k points and more. Currently fees are as follows 180 for 300k, about 500 for 800k points. These high cost resales with high MFs are more expensive than buying direct. Am I missing something?
Resales aren't any more expensive than retail. You are probably finding the ones that have extra high MF's and that is why people are giving them away. The ones with the lower MF's are more likely not to be for sale because the owner is keeping them or aren't giving them away at ebay prices.

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
Resales aren't any more expensive than retail. You are probably finding the ones that have extra high MF's and that is why people are giving them away. The ones with the lower MF's are more likely not to be for sale because the owner is keeping them or aren't giving them away at ebay prices.
Got it. Yes I'm finding some but doing the math all in direct was cheaper. So I'll wait it out in hopes of finding a lower fee resale.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Got it. Yes I'm finding some but doing the math all in direct was cheaper. So I'll wait it out in hopes of finding a lower fee resale.
For example CWA should be exactly the same if you buy resale or direct.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please elaborate? The access points are the same but access to use them?
When you buy resale Wyndham, the only thing a non VIP retail owner has that you don't is plus partners, which gives them RCI Points along with the RCI Weeks you get, plus the ability to internally exchange into Worldmark and some other microbenefits that aren't even worth listing. Except a small extra retail owners pay on club fees, there is no difference in fees between you and them.

There is also no difference in availability or usage between you and them.

The reason you see high maintenance fee contracts at lower offering prices is that those are the ones current owners are trying to rid themselves of.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please elaborate? The access points are the same but access to use them?
I was referring to the MF's for CWA is the same if you buy direct or buy resale. The program fee may be slightly higher with plus partners but that is pennies per thousand points.

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
When you buy resale Wyndham, the only thing a non VIP retail owner has that you don't is plus partners, which gives them RCI Points along with the RCI Weeks you get, plus the ability to internally exchange into Worldmark and some other microbenefits that aren't even worth listing. Except a small extra retail owners pay on club fees, there is no difference in fees between you and them.

There is also no difference in availability or usage between you and them.

The reason you see high maintenance fee contracts at lower offering prices is that those are the ones current owners are trying to rid themselves of.
Do you see lower fee resales usually? Will wyndham restrict the points in the future? So I would have every right to book as a VIP?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you see lower fee resales usually? Will wyndham restrict the points in the future? So I would have every right to book as a VIP?
No, The announced last month that resale points will not get VIP privileges. Starting sometime this month you would need to choose if you are using VIP or resale points for every reservation if you are VIP and reservations that uses resale points would not be treated to VIP benefits.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can see properties like Canterbury and Bali Hai go up. The asking/bids on those run up much higher.

Also, I was specifically comparing to non VIP above.

You mostly have every right to book a VIP has, except that depending on level, they get a specific number of advance reservations to get availability 3 months before you at a resort neither of you has normal ARP for, and you cannot book Margaritaville. VIPs get points discounts and other perks, but that doesn't affect availability.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes you can get lower fee locations on resale like Canterbury or National Harbor but don't expect to get them for free. They will still likely be 1/10 of what they would cost buying direct.

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
You can see properties like Canterbury and Bali Hai go up. The asking/bids on those run up much higher.

Also, I was specifically comparing to non VIP above.

You mostly have every right to book a VIP has, except that depending on level, they get a specific number of advance reservations to get availability 3 months before you at a resort neither of you has normal ARP for, and you cannot book Margaritaville. VIPs get points discounts and other perks, but that doesn't affect availability.
Can't book margaritaville

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also look on ebay. Arm yourself with a list of resorts with lower maintenance fees. Search eBay for SOLD listings for those resorts to get an idea on their expected price. Then patiently wait for listing because the lower the rates, it seems the rarer they are listed. You can scour the forum to learn as much as possible about the club while awaiting the right listing.

The resale listings you see on sites like sellmytimeshare and many of them on Redweek are planted by scammers or by owners who simply don't understand they'll never get close to their money back.. they will NEVER sell at those prices. I have always had a suspicion that timeshare developers themselves are posting many of these listings to manufacture a perception of value.

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
Also look on ebay. Arm yourself with a list of resorts with lower maintenance fees. Search eBay for SOLD listings for those resorts to get an idea on their expected price. Then patiently wait for listing because the lower the rates, it seems the rarer they are listed. You can scour the forum to learn as much as possible about the club while awaiting the right listing.

The resale listings you see on sites like sellmytimeshare and many of them on Redweek are planted by scammers or by owners who simply don't understand they'll never get close to their money back.. they will NEVER sell at those prices. I have always had a suspicion that timeshare developers themselves are posting many of these listings to manufacture a perception of value.
Any known resources for MFs? I saw a few I was interested in on Redweek and others. Something over 500,000 points has maintainence fees at $4000 or more per year. Wyndham direct at 500k point and silver status would cost 40k and fees of $300/yr. Resale in 10 years I would exceed over 40k. Definitely need to find something with lower MFs.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any known resources for MFs? I saw a few I was interested in on Redweek and others. Something over 500,000 points has maintainence fees at $4000 or more per year. Wyndham direct at 500k point and silver status would cost 40k and fees of $300/yr. Resale in 10 years I would exceed over 40k. Definitely need to find something with lower MFs.
There is a thread here with a spreadsheet of reported MFs

Edit: Here it is https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/o...harts-and-threads-from-previous-years.315557/

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Wyndham direct at 500k point and silver status would cost 40k and fees of $300/yr. Resale in 10 years I would exceed over 40k. Definitely need to find something with lower MFs.

That is definitely not correct. Did that info come from a salesman? The least expensive I am aware of would be about $1800 per year.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your MF's cost buying direct would likely be around $3200 for 500,000. Your salesperson might have "accidentally" missed a decimal and meant $3000 per year and that is going still to be on the lower side of retail at most locations.

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
I am not aware of any Wyndham ownership that has annual maintenance fees of $0.60/K. That has to be incorrect---it's less than just the program fee.
Sorry that was per month not a year

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
Your MF's cost buying direct would likely be around $3200 for 500,000. Your salesperson might have "accidentally" missed a decimal and meant $3000 per year and that is going still to be on the lower side of retail at most locations.
You are correct. I didn't read it thoroughly