• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

High Country Club - TUG Special Membership

S

Steamboat Bill

This is HOT news for TUGers!

---------------------------------------------

High Country Club is proud to announce a one year trial membership that is only available to TUGers for a limited time.

Starting June 1, 2007 until August 31, 2007, any user of TUG will be able to join the fastest growing and lowest priced Destination Club in the world…..High Country Club . With over 240 members, High Country Club’s portfolio includes 30 homes in 26 destinations across the globe that have an average value of $850,000 each.

Details:
7 nights of use (Travel is subject to the club rules & regulations)
Travel must be within one year of joining
Holiday use not included unless booked within 30 days of travel
$20,000 Membership deposit (100% refundable)
$1,750 Annual dues
No housekeeping or extra nightly fees
Lock-in current membership rates now
Full use of web site
Concierge and travel planning services included

Fine Print:
This limited offer is only for TUGers and will not be posted on the HCC web site. A completed application with payment must be received by HCC between June 1 and August 31, 2007. Members will be able to travel for seven nights to one HCC location and must be completed within one year of joining. TUG members will be able to upgrade their membership to an Associate, Affiliate, Private, or Corporate membership at any time before August 31, 2008 and lock-in the current rates as of June 1, 2007. TUG members that decide not to upgrade their membership will receive a 100% refund of their membership deposit on August 31, 2008.

S

Steamboat Bill

From the High Country Club Rules and Regulations:

Holidays are:
New Year's Day
MLK Day
President's Day
Spring Break - 2007 = weeks of Mar 16, Mar 23, Mar 30, Apr 6
Memorial Day
July 4th
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does the High Country Club TUG Special Membership match up to the Private Escapes Trial membership?

puffpuff

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does the High Country Club TUG Special Membership match up to the Private Escapes Trial membership?
PE Preview cost $50,000 ( fully refundable ) and 14 nights usage and MF of 4500. . Works out to $686 per night.

. Also no christmas and holidays similar to HCC.

HCC cost per night based on trial membership is $ 476 per night ( 30% discount)

S

Steamboat Bill

Puff

I am not sure how you calculate your cost per night...please show your work.

Here are three possible calculations per night.

HCC TUG Special
$20,000 lost opportunity costs = $1,000 (assume 5%)
Annual Dues = $1,750
Nights = 7
Total cost = $2,750
$2,750 / 7 = $392 per night

PE Premiere Preview
$50,000 lost opportunity costs = $2,500 (assume 5%)
Annual Dues = $4,600
Nightly fee = 14 x $82 = $1,148
Nights = 14
Total cost = $5,748
$5,748 / 14 = $589 per night

The above two categories are DIRECT competitors offering a similar priced home location ($850k). However HCC is 33% cheaper than PE for these "trial memberships"

I find the following offer to be unique in the destination club world as they focus on $1.5-2m homes.

PE Platinum Preview
$100,000 lost opportunity costs = $5,000 (assume 5%)
Annual Dues = $6,900
Nightly fee = 14 x $138 = $1,932
Nights = 14
Total cost = $13,832
$13,832 / 14 = $988 per night

Last edited by a moderator:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is great for those of you who wish to “kick the tires”.

I like the 100% cash back and no 2 in/1 out needed to leave.

Of course my next logical question would be…..

Iowa Rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spring break as a holiday?

This is the only reason why I did not join before. I would like to have the opportunity to travel during my childrens spring break. Next year it is March 16. What type of lever do I have to have to be able to travel during this time. With summer AAU baseball thats about the only time we can travel with our kids.
Rod

vineyarder

Reaction score
This is the only reason why I did not join before. I would like to have the opportunity to travel during my childrens spring break. Next year it is March 16. What type of lever do I have to have to be able to travel during this time. With summer AAU baseball thats about the only time we can travel with our kids.

PE Preview cost $50,000 ( fully refundable ) and 14 nights usage
Also no christmas and holidays similar to HCC.

Only Christmas and New Years are "holidays" in Private Escapes; Spring Break, Presidents Day, etc. are all first come, first served, although there are restrictions on reciprocity between the 3 PE clubs during the peak periods - you can only book your own club during the "peak periods"...

The HCC special offer is very appealing (as a second club membership)...

BTW, since one of their memberships gives you 25 days per year, if you book three 7 day vacations, how do you use your extra 4 days? What are the restrictions on those? Are they just short-notice, space-available type reservations?

puffpuff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Puff

I am not sure how you calculate your cost per night...please show your work.

Here are three possible calculations per night.

HCC TUG Special
$20,000 lost opportunity costs = $1,000 (assume 5%)
Annual Dues = $1,750
Nights = 7
Total cost = $2,750
$2,750 / 7 = $392 per night

PE Premiere Preview
$50,000 lost opportunity costs = $2,500 (assume 5%)
Annual Dues = $4,600
Nightly fee = 14 x $82 = $1,148
Nights = 14
Total cost = $5,748
$5,748 / 14 = $589 per night

The above two categories are DIRECT competitors offering a similar priced home location ($850k). However HCC is 33% cheaper than PE for these "trial memberships"

I find the following offer to be unique in the destination club world as they focus on $1.5-2m homes.

PE Platinum Preview
$100,000 lost opportunity costs = $5,000 (assume 5%)
Annual Dues = $6,900
Nightly fee = 14 x $138 = $1,932
Nights = 14
Total cost = $13,832
$13,832 / 14 = $988 per night
Very interesting. I used the cost per day spreadsheet calcuator available from www.sherpareport.com. Their default is 6% opportunity cost, and the calcuation comes out more like 7.9% on closer examination now that you have bought it up and i go back to recheck. Thanks for the catch. I am not much of a mathematician. Glad you catch the error. Perhaps you can help by looking at their formula.

puffpuff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. I used the cost per day spreadsheet calcuator available from www.sherpareport.com. Their default is 6% opportunity cost, and the calcuation comes out more like 7.9% on closer examination now that you have bought it up and i go back to recheck. Thanks for the catch. I am not much of a mathematician. Glad you catch the error. Perhaps you can help by looking at their formula.
For those using the Sherpareport calcuator, I notice that if you plug in 4.12% on top as opportunity cost, the calcuation will come out to be 5% inside the spreadsheet.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
How confident are you that the deposit is fully refundable? Will the funds be held in escrow?

I like the concept a lot, but I'm afraid I'm a bit of a resort person (e.g., every TS I own, except one, has a bar/restaurant on site). I'm a condo person too ... a lot of my friends/co-workers who grew up "in the city" can't wait to have grass, trees, etc. I grew up in suburbia and love that someone else takes care of what little grass we have ... the onsite concierge to sign for my packages ... trash pickup, etc.!

In any event, I guess I like being around other happy vacationers ... love meeting new people at the pool, at the bar, etc. I'm afraid we'll feel a little isolated in a private home. Strange, I agree, but a concern for me nonetheless.

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
This really seems like a way for them to obtain short term financing without having to go to a financial institution. You loan them $20,000 for a year and pay $1,750. Instead of interest payments they give you a week at one of their very nice properties.

Might be a good deal, if you get your $20,000 back. But I would not invest any money you can't afford to lose.

Gary

S

Steamboat Bill

Let's get real here...this is not about a destination club wanting to leverage $20k...it is an excellent targeted marketing idea designed to persuade TUGers that may own high end timeshares to jump ship to the destination club world. This is a break even deal for HCC at best. Their ultimate goal is to increase membership and increase their portfolio of properties. Very simple concept really.

Accodring to ARDA, the average timeshare costs $16,000 and joining HCC is actually CHEAPER than that and offers a far superior product.

To be fair and objective, I also like Exclusive Resorts, Ultimate Resorts, and Private Escapes, but High Country Club is the ONLY destination club that has actually reached out to the TUG community and is the only club that has a price point that competes with timeshares.

Joining HCC is MUCH cheaper than buying Harborside!

I really like Exclusive Resorts, but I am not willing to pay $1,600 per day for 2 weeks vacation for the rest of my life, but over 2,500 people are.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
How confident are you that the deposit is fully refundable? Will the funds be held in escrow?

I like the concept a lot, but I'm afraid I'm a bit of a resort person (e.g., every TS I own, except one, has a bar/restaurant on site). I'm a condo person too ... a lot of my friends/co-workers who grew up "in the city" can't wait to have grass, trees, etc. I grew up in suburbia and love that someone else takes care of what little grass we have ... the onsite concierge to sign for my packages ... trash pickup, etc.!

In any event, I guess I like being around other happy vacationers ... love meeting new people at the pool, at the bar, etc. I'm afraid we'll feel a little isolated in a private home. Strange, I agree, but a concern for me nonetheless.

Not so strange...or at least we're strange together :) . While there is an appeal to a more private surrounding, I too enjoy the people around me at a resort and am not sure if I would find the properties too isolating. I'd enjoy the more luxurious accomodations but am not sure if I would find them too isolating and, for us, the trade-off might not be worth it. Thought I was the only crazy one.

vineyarder

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat Bill
Let's get real here...this is not about a destination club wanting to leverage $20k....
I guess we will have to disagree on this point.

Not being a member of HCC, but looking at the numbers, I would guess that HCC would consider this special promotion as wildly successful if 20 TUGgers took advantage of it, which would bring them a cash influx of all of $400K, peanuts for an organization with $30M in real estate, and probably greatly offset by the personnel costs and hassles of orienting all these new people, answering their questions, adding them to mailing lists and setting up online accounts, etc. It would seem much more realistic that they reasonably expect that >90% of people taking advantage of this promotion will end up becoming full members at the end of the year, and they are doing this solely as a membership drive. Sure, they could do a 'free-trial' promotion without a deposit (i.e. pay us $2000 and we'll let you try out one of your residences for a week), but psychologically, putting down $20K now, makes it alot easier to plunk down another $10K or $20K in a year in order to become a full member. Just my thoughts as an outsider to the club, but it seems like a clever promotion, not a scheme...

Bourne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's get real here...this is not about a destination club wanting to leverage $20k...it is an excellent targeted marketing idea designed to persuade TUGers that may own high end timeshares to jump ship to the destination club world. This is a break even deal for HCC at best. Their ultimate goal is to increase membership and increase their portfolio of properties. Very simple concept really.

Accodring to ARDA, the average timeshare costs $16,000 and joining HCC is actually CHEAPER than that and offers a far superior product.

To be fair and objective, I also like Exclusive Resorts, Ultimate Resorts, and Private Escapes, but High Country Club is the ONLY destination club that has actually reached out to the TUG community and is the only club that has a price point that competes with timeshares.

Joining HCC is MUCH cheaper than buying Harborside!

This is a greart deal for someone who is considering purchasing Four Seasons, Hilton, Marriott or SPG timeshares at the top tier.

The dues are comparable and and you get 100% money back. If you like it, shell out an extra 10K and and get 15 days effectively reducing the cost per week to 15K apiece.

IMHO, the 80% return of assets is a good deal when compared to buying timeshares from developers.

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
The glass is almost full, not slighty empty!

Not being a member of HCC, but looking at the numbers, I would guess that HCC would consider this special promotion as wildly successful if 20 TUGgers took advantage of it, which would bring them a cash influx of all of $400K, peanuts for an organization with $30M in real estate, and probably greatly offset by the personnel costs and hassles of orienting all these new people, answering their questions, adding them to mailing lists and setting up online accounts, etc. It would seem much more realistic that they reasonably expect that >90% of people taking advantage of this promotion will end up becoming full members at the end of the year, and they are doing this solely as a membership drive. Sure, they could do a 'free-trial' promotion without a deposit (i.e. pay us $2000 and we'll let you try out one of your residences for a week), but psychologically, putting down $20K now, makes it alot easier to plunk down another $10K or $20K in a year in order to become a full member. Just my thoughts as an outsider to the club, but it seems like a clever promotion, not a scheme...

I believe that you are correct. I can't believe that anyone would believe that this is a scheme to come up with cash. I find it funny that no one made these accusations about the PE plan which is similar to the High Country Club plan except that it requires 250% more cash!

Anyone that is paying close attention would know that High Country Club has great momentum and is adding members at a fast pace which is giving them incredible cash flow. On top of that, they are in their second round of PPM which has them swimming in cash. Anyone who has questions should do some due diligence, sign a NDA, check out the financial information and see for themselves.

This is a brilliant sales promotion in that it:
A) Qualifies the potential member by requiring cash upfront and charging a reasonable amount for the property use.
B) Provides potential members with an actual HCC property experience, not a cheap tour by a high pressure salesman.
C) Allows the potential member a year to make a buying decision. Again no high pressure.
D) Locks in the pricing at the current rate allowing the potential member to delay the buying decision without penalty. Many of us wish we had this opportunity when we were considering membership (as we watched prices go up as HCC added members)
E) Allows potential members who decide against membership to get a full refund and walk away clean (again, I don't believe that cash will be an issue for HCC today or a year from now).

I was wondering how the DC industry would market the DC experience with integrity while still providing an efficient sales mechanism. This High Country Club plan appears to achieve that. Yet another way that many DCs are separating themselves from the sleazy, murky world of timeshare sales.

(These are my opinions from closely watching the DC industry and my personal experience from High Country Club membership.)

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

This is a brilliant sales promotion

I agree.

When you consider the costs of sales and marketing for a destination club (or even a timeshare)....HCC is making this offer to TUG users with no immediate cost to HCC. It is an example of working smarter, not harder. There is no pressure, bait and switch, no tricks or slight of hand, and no free ticket offers to a theme park of your choice.

Anyone familiar with the Web 2.0 concepts understands the power of social networks and word of mouth....just ask the guys at YouTube.

steve b

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget that many High Country Properties are located in Resort Communities with full amenities. We leave Saturday to the Villa Renassaince condominium in the Turks and Caicos Islands. This is a full resort run as a Hotel with prices starting at 850.00 per night for a 2 bedroom unit. This property is truely beachfront on Grace Bay, one of the World's greatest beaches.
steve b

Bourne

TUG Member
Reaction score
And so is the Cabo location within Villa La Estancia...

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
$20K for one week at High Country Club properties?

I have been reading TUG threads about some premier timeshares (ex: PerryM - PH Vegas) and I realized that High Country Club is offering the equivalent of one week of super-high end, 2-4bd timeshare for only $20K! The annual fee of $1750 is high but in line with Four Seasons, etc. And there is no depreciation with the 100% deposit refund.

I realize that this is a TUG special from HCC, but wouldn't it be a good idea if they made this a permanent membership option to compliment their multi-week memberships? I'm sure they would reduce the deposit refund to 80% but it's still a killer deal for someone looking for one week.

S

Steamboat Bill

I have been reading TUG threads about some premier timeshares (ex: PerryM - PH Vegas) and I realized that High Country Club is offering the equivalent of one week of super-high end, 2-4bd timeshare for only $20K! The annual fee of $1750 is high but in line with Four Seasons, etc. And there is no depreciation with the 100% deposit refund.

I realize that this is a TUG special from HCC, but wouldn't it be a good idea if they made this a permanent membership option to compliment their multi-week memberships? I'm sure they would reduce the deposit refund to 80% but it's still a killer deal for someone looking for one week.

It is a GREAT deal for anyone except the current HCC owners. When I spoke with Heath about this, this is pure and smiple a cheap marketing plan with the hopes of getting them to upgrade to a higher membership category. The TUG special is over on Aug 31, 2007 and travel must be before 12 months. I doubt they will keep the 1 week member as a "official category"

I like the private membership because there is a chance that a week may go unused and leave availability. If HCC gets flooded with 1 and 2 week members, then they for sure will use all their time.

One of the tricks of DCs is that a 30-45 night member may only use 21-25 nights. I know this is blasphmy on TUG to let a week go to waste, but DC owners do not think the same as TS owners.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas