• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HICV Platinum member benefits

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holliday Inn Club Vacations
So I saw the new member guide today on the website and it seems there is a new “platinum” level to all the previously existing member levels. Has anyone been to an update to see what the new sales pitch is in order to make your membership platinum? I’m at preferred right now and I really like the free 3 night stay as well as the reservation upgrade and 10% discount on advanced bookings. These really help the points stretch.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The platinum level is added to your current level if you purchase or purchased retail after around June or July of 2018. If you buy enough points to bump you up to a higher level you get platinum in addition to the higher level. So if you want to be preferred platinum you need to make another purchase. I think the lowest $ amount that conferred the platinum status was either $12,000 or $15,000 in a new purchase.

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holliday Inn Club Vacations
So you only need to purchase an additional retail deed to get the new platinum level? That seems odd. Are they going to do away with the old non platinum levels. Everyone who purchases retail will now be at the platinum levels? I would of thought that they would have made another stipulation to get the platinum level, like you have to buy a signature deed or something. I bought 3 resale deeds then purchased one small points package directly for $7500 to convert everything so I could get preferred level. But that was several years ago. I would consider buying another resale vegas deed with low maintenance fees and then a direct purchase from the developer to get to the next level if that would still work, but really only if they add some more resorts. I wasn't super impressed with the silver leaf portfolio. Pretty much no locations I would want to visit.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think new purchases that are enough to reach a tier level would be platinum plus the appropriate tier based on the number of points they have. They have changed the rules about converting fixed weeks. The actual rule is you have to purchase the same number of retail points as your week is worth. So if you are converting 150,000 points you need to purchase 150,000. No more small purchases to convert one or more units as in the past. Former Silverleaf owners have a separate conversion path but still I haven't heard of anything less than at $10,000-$15,000 purchase per converted week. While I don't think you will be able to convert a good week for $6000-$10,000 these days, even though I haven't heard it happening, I couldn't imagine someone who might have a week worth 240,000 points if converted and wanted to purchase 120,000 points for $24,000 that they would say no. But I'm sure that's not the kind of "deal" you were looking for.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Former Silverleaf owners have a separate conversion path but still I haven't heard of anything less than at $10,000-$15,000 purchase per converted week.
We converted two Presidential weeks, each worth 165,000 points to HICV. One was converted to an Orange Lake Trust for 200,000 points and the other was kept as fixed week/unit converted to 165,000 points for "free". This gave us "Preferred" status which was not really a big deal for us, we were more concerned with keeping our Endless Escapes. We also get another 90,000 points/yr through Global Choice from a Westgate property we already own. This cost us another $75/yr for the transfer.

Since they changed the rules on BT/EE (don't get me started), we can get up to 6 days at any of the old Silverleaf resorts for $250 based on availability. This is up to a 2BR Presidential.

Giving us access to all the HICV resorts with the flexibility of points was worth the $16K for the conversion for 365,000 points and the MF only went up by about $250/year the other week's MF were kept at 1/2 price when we originally negotiated the purchase. We might have been able to buy resale, but I did not see any real good deals and we would have lost EE.