• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have a very small ownership in Holiday Inn Club Vacations (HICV). My main ownership is in Wyndham and Hilton.

I also have a few other week only resorts that I have yet to rid myself of. So I currently am sitting on 197 combined TPUs in RCI. I can go anywhere but, I can't always find what I want, when I want. I really don't need more RCI TPUs in my bank.

So I stumble upon HICV's GlobalChoice today. Never heard of it before. It is similar to something Wyndham has calls PIC (personal Interval choice) if you know Wyndham. So basically you can take a NON RCI points resort week and you can for a fee convert to into HICV points.

Details of how it works. Deposit your week into RCI at least 10 months prior to the start date. It must be 10 months. Then decide anytime between that deposit time and at least 2 weeks prior to the checkin date, to either use it as TPUs OR if you have NOT used the TPUs you can for a $75 fee convert a week's TPUs into HICV points.

How many HICV points to you get....it depends: I only ask for and got these ranges, if you have higher TPUs you will have to call and ask HICV.
For 24-28 TPUs you get 100K HICV points
For 19-23 TPUs you get 90K HICV points
For 16-18 TPUs you get 80K HICV points
For 1-15 TPUs you get 60K HICV points

I was told it would be 2 years life once you deposit the points into HICV but I have NOT tested this yet, as I had no weeks that met the criteria. (1 that met the 10 months is now a RCI POINTs resort and I wasn't aware, the other 2 units I deposited 9 months in advance NOT 10. ) So next year I will have a resort to test this out with, so I can't confirm the life of the deposted points.

Big HUGE difference between Wyndam and Holiday Inn and this program is, with Wyndham you have to pay for that privilege by buying from the developer and then you have to pay a Program Fee for that right, even if you chose NOT to deposit those points into Wyndham every year.

So with Holiday Inn, you don't have to pay to do this unless you want to. And if you do it will cost you $75 per week to convert. Otherwise it costs nothing, if you don't want to do it.

So if you need some extra HICV yes you can rent them for $10 per 1000, or if you have a low MF TS with an average TPU, you can make out ok.

I have a 21 TPU that I pay $573 MF and that converts for a$75 fee. So I would end up with 90K HICV points for an cost of less than $6.5 per 1000. I also have reduced my reservation costs because in HICV that is $59 and in RCI it is $209. Now this may only make sense if you have TPUs that you don't need to put into RCI AND you can use more HICV and don't want to purchase anything else.

I sure wish Wyndham worked that way

Last edited:

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Always nice to find new ways to utilize our timeshares. I love the HICV system !

FYI > take Orange Lake Orlando location a 2 bedroom 7 night stay will take 159,000 points. Some places more some a little less for a 2 bedroom unless its a off time. Not sure what your giving up for the 24-28 TPU's.

Dave

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
This is good to know; thank you for sharing. Since RCI changed their policy to now only extend a combined deposit for 1 year vs. two, I will consider doing this with deposits that I know I won't be using on time.

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found this information from 2013 Member Guide.

"You Have a Choice

If you are a vacation owner at eligible RCI Weeks*-affiliated resorts and would like to turn those weeks into Holiday Inn Club Points, you have the power through the GlobalChoice program. Deposit your current or future week with RCI at least 10 months prior to the start date of the week you’re depositing. Once you receive a SpaceBank™ Acknowledgement letter from RCI, call a Holiday Inn Club Vacation Counselor at (877) 606-CLUB or (407) 905-1100 no later than 14 days prior to the start date of your deposited week to request Holiday Inn Club Points for your deposited week. Pay a $75 fee for each week you deposit into Holiday Inn Club. Your Holiday Inn Club Points will be deposited into your account within 7 business days."

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont have Holiday Inn, but this interests me, it seems potentially very flexible. Does anyone know whether you can deposit the "change" ie leftover TPUs, or is it only a full deposit?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I dont have Holiday Inn, but this interests me, it seems potentially very flexible. Does anyone know whether you can deposit the "change" ie leftover TPUs, or is it only a full deposit?

Assume it has to be the full TPUs for a single NON-Points week deposit.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Assume it has to be the full TPUs for a single NON-Points week deposit.

I figured that would probably be too good to be true. I'm still interested though, as it has the potential to be a more efficient way to convert a high TPU week to a stay I actually want. Does anyone know of a HIVC points chart publicly available ?

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
It is my understanding that if you deposit your points week into RCI that the value is cut in half if I put my 127,000 points in I only get 63,500 points in RCI. That is why I never use my HIVC week thru RCI. The best thing to do is internal trade to one of HIVC other resorts and also use the points at IHG for hotel stays. The amount of points is 5/4 in IHG, which is better than RCI. And the points don't expire if put in IHG. It took me a while to get the idea of the program, I only have one week at Orange Lake.
Silentg

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
It is my understanding that if you deposit your points week into RCI that the value is cut in half if I put my 127,000 points in I only get 63,500 points in RCI. That is why I never use my HIVC week thru RCI. The best thing to do is internal trade to one of HIVC other resorts and also use the points at IHG for hotel stays. The amount of points is 5/4 in IHG, which is better than RCI. And the points don't expire if put in IHG. It took me a while to get the idea of the program, I only have one week at Orange Lake.
Silentg

At RCI, it would cost you 63,500 RCI points to reserve your week thru RCI. Say you wanted a week and on our HICV web-sight it was sold out. You found the week on RCI , you could book it thru RCI with your HICV points thru our web-sight and book that week using your 127,000 HICV points. Plus the RCI fee on top of that. Just remember if you are looking at a RCI web-sight use the 2 to 1 ratio to figure out points needed for that reservation.

If you are a week owner, they are depositing the week into RCI, getting a certain number of TPU's for that week to use for another vacation week thru RCI plus the booking fee.

I have not used RCI myself yet but sometimes availability will be at RCI and not HICV.

I could not get a chart to upload, sorry. I could send one email to you if you want.

Dave

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would plan to use it within HICV, otherwise why would you move it from RCI only to go back to book RCI. That makes no sense. HICV likely have better availability plus to option to book a few days an not a full week.

It would be an option if you already have enough in TPUs in RCI weeks.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I'm sorry if I didn't clarify my statement. The HIVC is only for points members. If you have a week that is fixed time with TPU then, yes you can go thru RCI because a fixed TPU cannot be used in HIVC. I used to have a week not points that got good trades thru RCI. I no longer have that week instead I have a points week that looses value if I use it for RCI. I agree with Sandy, never use it for RCI trades. Just put the points in IHG or trade within HIVC. You can use some points for each. Also, never book a cruise with the points, I tried this and would have been charged more than just booking thru the cruise site.
Silentg

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I just got maintenance fee and membship fee for HIVC of course price has gone up. Not sure if I want to continue with this resort. Thinking of selling or renting also, the volunteer charge of $5.00.? What is that?
Silentg

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
The volunteer charge is voluntary. I have 3 weeks/points so I paid it a few times. Then I called and asked them to remove this charge (which would be $15 for me) and they did. As I understand this fee, it is for a timeshare consumer group. You can remove it if you want to.

I just got maintenance fee and membship fee for HIVC of course price has gone up. Not sure if I want to continue with this resort. Thinking of selling or renting also, the volunteer charge of $5.00.? What is that?
Silentg

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the info on Global Choice. I am not familiar with this program. Is this because I only own HIVC HICV points? I used to have have a straight RCI week ownership. But once I joined HIVC HICV I no longer own these units.

Does Global Points only apply to weeks owners?
thanks
sandy

I have a very small ownership in Holiday Inn Club Vacations (HICV). My main ownership is in Wyndham and Hilton.

I also have a few other week only resorts that I have yet to rid myself of. So I currently am sitting on 197 combined TPUs in RCI. I can go anywhere but, I can't always find what I want, when I want. I really don't need more RCI TPUs in my bank.

So I stumble upon HICV's GlobalChoice today. Never heard of it before. It is similar to something Wyndham has calls PIC (personal Interval choice) if you know Wyndham. So basically you can take a NON RCI points resort week and you can for a fee convert to into HICV points.

Details of how it works. Deposit your week into RCI at least 10 months prior to the start date. It must be 10 months. Then decide anytime between that deposit time and at least 2 weeks prior to the checkin date, to either use it as TPUs OR if you have NOT used the TPUs you can for a $75 fee convert a week's TPUs into HICV points.

How many HICV points to you get....it depends: I only ask for and got these ranges, if you have higher TPUs you will have to call and ask HICV.

I was told it would be 2 years life once you deposit the points into HICV but I have NOT tested this yet, as I had no weeks that met the criteria. (1 that met the 10 months is now a RCI POINTs resort and I wasn't aware, the other 2 units I deposited 9 months in advance NOT 10. ) So next year I will have a resort to test this out with, so I can't confirm the life of the deposted points.

Big HUGE difference between Wyndam and Holiday Inn and this program is, with Wyndham you have to pay for that privilege by buying from the developer and then you have to pay a Program Fee for that right, even if you chose NOT to deposit those points into Wyndham every year.

So with Holiday Inn, you don't have to pay to do this unless you want to. And if you do it will cost you $75 per week to convert. Otherwise it costs nothing, if you don't want to do it.

So if you need some extra HICV yes you can rent them for $10 per 1000, or if you have a low MF TS with an average TPU, you can make out ok.

I have a 21 TPU that I pay $573 MF and that converts for a$75 fee. So I would end up with 90K HICV points for an cost of less than $6.5 per 1000. I also have reduced my reservation costs because in HICV that is $59 and in RCI it is $209. Now this may only make sense if you have TPUs that you don't need to put into RCI AND you can use more HICV and don't want to purchase anything else.

I sure wish Wyndham worked that way

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the info on Global Choice. I am not familiar with this program. Is this because I only own HIVC HICV points? I used to have have a straight RCI week ownership. But once I joined HIVC HICV I no longer own these units.

Does Global Points only apply to weeks owners?
thanks
sandy

It is an opportunity to convert other fixed weeks in NON RCI points resorts, and put them into your HICV account. So it is a cheap way to get more HICV points, without having to buy another HICV property. Of course you don't have any additional fixed weeks, so I guess it is a moot point.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is an opportunity to convert other fixed weeks in NON RCI points resorts, and put them into your HICV account. So it is a cheap way to get more HICV points, without having to buy another HICV property. Of course you don't have any additional fixed weeks, so I guess it is a moot point.

thanks,
I only have HIVC HICV points accounts right now. All of my RCI fixed weeks are long gone!

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
"So I stumble upon HICV's GlobalChoice today. Never heard of it before. It is similar to something Wyndham has calls PIC (personal Interval choice) if you know Wyndham. So basically you can take a NON RCI points resort week and you can for a fee convert to into HICV points.

Pardon the old thread resuscitation.

@Sandy VDH:
Sandy, have you tried this? If so, did you have to use another RCI account to deposit the week, or could you deposit the week using your HICV RCI account.

Like you, we have a Weeks only resort which is a real stinker (Wastegate Leisure). It has been a thorn in my side for years. I was really intrigued when I found that I could roll it into out HICV points. This would make the higher MF we are paying in the Silverleaf conversion worth the cost.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pardon the old thread resuscitation.

@Sandy VDH:
Sandy, have you tried this? If so, did you have to use another RCI account to deposit the week, or could you deposit the week using your HICV RCI account.

Like you, we have a Weeks only resort which is a real stinker (Wastegate Leisure). It has been a thorn in my side for years. I was really intrigued when I found that I could roll it into out HICV points. This would make the higher MF we are paying in the Silverleaf conversion worth the cost.

I have done this. It works like a charm provided you follow the rules, your timing is right, and your week qualifies. It can't be an RCI points resort. It must be a weeks only resort. I have a separate RCI Weeks Account that I use for everything not in a points program, Wyndham pays for this RCI Weeks account. I deposit my week in RCI 10 months prior to use, and then when I need points then move those into HICV provided you do it before the cut off date, which I think is 2 weeks prior to check in. Miss any of these dates and it will not work. You don't want to deposit them too early unless you need them. They will become points in the use year you deposit them, and will roll over to the next year like regular HICV points.

If I have an HICV RCI Weeks Account, I do not use it. So I do not know if you can deposit your none HICV week in an HICV Weeks account. Sorry. But it might be worth calling and asking about what kind of RCI account you get.

How many TPUs does your Wastegate week get?

i have a week that I pay $480 MF on and I get 90,000 HICV points for it. Not a bad deal for me, and I have less TPUs piling up. I already have enough TPUs so I like having alternatives available.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the reply Sandy. The Wastegate is a 2BR 4th quarter float. I have not been an RCI member for years and have never deposited it. It was our first TS and was originally Ramada Vacation Suites. It was bought and sold, went through bankruptcy and picked up by Wastegate. I have just written off the MF for years as a loss. We have 4 other weeks which we used up until recently. I pay $600/yr for this one. If we could get that range of HICV points for it, that would give us ~450,000 HICV points per year.

I want to see if I can deposit it from the HICV RCI account when the paperwork clears. We just converted our Silverleaf to points, so I don't think we will have a HICV RCI Weeks account.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So in order to make HICV's Global Choice work you have to have the following:
1) Be an HICV member in their points program.
2) You must also have additional weeks at a NON-Points resort. Not just a week not in points, but the entire resort must NOT be points.
3) You must also have an RCI account outside of the HICV one you have. Otherwise you will not be able to deposit the week.

I own Wyndham as well, and wyndham pays for both a RCI Weeks account, plus I also have Wyndham / RCI portal access to both weeks and points. So I do no have to pay for an additional RCI membership, which make it a bit more cost effective for me.

I received an email with specific instructions today, including the TPU to HICV point conversion chart.

I will provide that info here....

upload_2018-12-13_16-55-32.png

upload_2018-12-13_16-55-50.png

Procedure:

upload_2018-12-13_16-56-36.png

Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Sandy!

I just converted my 2019 Westgate via Global Choice. It was deposited in as 22 TP. It still has not hit my HICV account yet.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Sandy!

I just converted my 2019 Westgate via Global Choice. It was deposited in as 22 TP. It still has not hit my HICV account yet.

Excellent, DrQ, so you got an extra 90K in HICV. From what I recall it took a few days to show up online. Since you deposted a 2019 week, those points will expire at the end of 2020 like normal 2019 points do.

My opinion it is better in HICV than in RCI from a cost perspective, $64 reservation charge, no guest fee (you get 15 free ones). I can even add insurance for $35 and not have to worry about the entire booking. This is great provided you have places in HICV that you want to travel. I live in TX and there are lots of choices for HICV. I've booked at the Galveston Beach Club a few times in the last two year, also booked 3 BR Ambassador Units at Galveston Seaside and Hill Country Resort.

I have too many TPUs in RCI already (currently sitting at over 200) and hate the $239 fee.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well it took a while, but the 90,000 points are in my account. Thanks for your help!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well it took a while, but the 90,000 points are in my account. Thanks for your help!

Your welcome.

I think it is a pretty cool way to get some more HICV points without making any additional TS purchases, and I can decide year over year what I want to move. Since I have too many points in TPUs and I live in Texas where the Silverleaf acquisition and the other HICV resorts works in my favor.

I usually stay at either Hill Country Resort, Galveston Seaside or Galveston Beach Club. All good choices and good availablity in HICV. For only $64 a booking, a much better option than RCI. Only way I would consider RCI is if I wanted a larger Silverleaf unit for the entire week, then maybe RCI will make up for the points required on the HICV side.

I am planning on 2 more deposits in early 2019 for an additional 160,000 HICV points. With 2 years to use it, it make it a much easier choice.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I really enjoy it when owners share super useful tips like this and those tips actually get utilized by other members with great success!