• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HICV Orange Lake Information

NightOwlNYC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I am doing research into possibly buying into the Orange Lake Resort in Orlando, but it seems that there is little to no information that is publicly available online. I do not want to contact them directly for fear of salespeople contacting me with pressure tactics. I stayed there once (about 3 years ago) by renting out a unit online and was inundated with daily calls to attend sales meetings. Honestly, by saying no to the sales meetings allowed me time to explore the resort, and it sold itself to me. The only smear on that trip really were the calls. When I'm ready to buy, I will definitely call. Just not before.

However, trying to be an informed buyer on the resort doesn't seem to be easy at all. I'm only looking for simple information: cost for purchasing direct, affiliations, mortgage and rates, benefits, and what I lose if I purchase resale. Can anyone who is more savvy into the system or have a better online presence be able to point me to some websites, or maybe a forum that discusses this? Thanks in advance!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sent you a PM.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Sent you a PM.

If you want a fixed week at orange lake, these are sometimes given for free or next to nothing on a resale transfer. Check eBay for these. Some of the more desirable units sell for $600-900 on resale. Once these transfer to you, you are just responsible for the yearly maintenance fees, so no mortgage. You can also subscribe to RCI and exchange your week there.

The other part of HICV is their point based system, but if all you want is Orange Lake, just try to find a desirable week that works for you. Orange Lake has 4 areas, East, West, north villages, and river island and all are usually available resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
To answer the second part of your question, if you purchase directly you are looking at 18 cents per point on the low end. Interest can be 10-18%, with the promise that you can alway refinance. There is a yearly club membership fee that also covers the RCI fee.

Benfits that you loose by buying resale is all, unless you purchase at the 3 points resort that have almost no restrictions (do not qualify for their elite status), or purchase a resale trust point contract that are more restrictive.

If you buy resale outside the 3 points resort, you are entitled to your fixed week. On other HICV resorts, some weeks float and you have an option to book your week in any of the float weeks for the season you buy. In Orange Lake, I have only seen fixed weeks, so you only have access to that week you purchase.

It is always better to buy resale, and there is a lot of information on this website that will help you find what would work best for you.

NightOwlNYC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
To answer the second part of your question, if you purchase directly you are looking at 18 cents per point on the low end. Interest can be 10-18%, with the promise that you can alway refinance. There is a yearly club membership fee that also covers the RCI fee.

Thank you for this! Would you know, by any chance, how many points a 2BR would require (or point me to somewhere that I can read up)? Need to do a cost-benefit analysis, and it's the "cost" part that I'm trying to determine. Of course, if I buy from the resort, I will have to consider my "cost" a sunken cost. But am determining if the benefits outweigh the loss. Much appreciated!!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thank you for this! Would you know, by any chance, how many points a 2BR would require (or point me to somewhere that I can read up)? Need to do a cost-benefit analysis, and it's the "cost" part that I'm trying to determine. Of course, if I buy from the resort, I will have to consider my "cost" a sunken cost. But am determining if the benefits outweigh the loss. Much appreciated!!
Different seasons cost different amounts. 166,000 would likely get you in most resorts in a 2 BR even in peak season. Currently they only sell trust points and expect to pay, I would imagine $40,000 for 150,000 points with a MF of close to $1000 plus club dues of $149ish.

Most of the member guides require you to log on and already be a member. This one does not. It is from 2011. They have added a lot more resorts and the fees are higher but the points for the resorts listed are still the same so it would give you an idea. https://members.holidayinnclub.com/hicv/pdf/2011_Member_guide.pdf

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara

View attachment HICV Point Chart.pdf
I am attaching a points chart. Might be missing the 2-3 newest properties but gives you an idea of the points required for a 2b.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
One benefit with owning points is how you can use them
They spend like real money so Sunday through Thursday nights are 1/2 the cost of points as Friday and Saturday

So if Sunday- Friday are say 100,000 points then Friday and Saturday would also be 100,000
So 200,000 for a week
If you live close to any of their resorts then you can do 2 Sunday- Friday weeks for the cost of one
There are a ton of other benefits but they need to work for you personally. What works for one may not for another

There’s a ton of info to learn so ask away and figure it out before making a decision
If you want to stay before any purchase you can rent here or elsewhere for a decent rate

The first thing my wife does when we arrive is unplugs the phones from the wall

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
The first question is do you want Orange Lake or do you want Holiday Inn Club Vacations (HICV). If you want HICV, buy a resale deeded unit from South Beach or Smoky Mountain. I bought both for $1 each on ebay that gave me 257,000 points. You won't get elite status but if you save $30K who cares. If you want orange lake find a resale fixed week for the week you want. These are usually free or less than $250. This will only entitle you to your fixed week at HICV. This is a great club the room quality in most (some conversion properties are so great) is excellent. Equal to Marriott.

NightOwlNYC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Most of the member guides require you to log on and already be a member. This one does not. It is from 2011. They have added a lot more resorts and the fees are higher but the points for the resorts listed are still the same so it would give you an idea. https://members.holidayinnclub.com/hicv/pdf/2011_Member_guide.pdf

Thank you so much for the link! It'll serve as a starting point so I can better understand the system. I know it's 10 years old, but it's better than nothing.

NightOwlNYC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
The first thing my wife does when we arrive is unplugs the phones from the wall

We'll have to try this next time if we go as renters. I mean, it was relentless... A few days it was twice - mornings around 9am and early-evenings, right before 6pm.

The first question is do you want Orange Lake or do you want Holiday Inn Club Vacations (HICV). If you want HICV, buy a resale deeded unit from South Beach or Smoky Mountain. I bought both for $1 each on ebay that gave me 257,000 points. You won't get elite status but if you save $30K who cares. If you want orange lake find a resale fixed week for the week you want. These are usually free or less than $250. This will only entitle you to your fixed week at HICV. This is a great club the room quality in most (some conversion properties are so great) is excellent. Equal to Marriott.

We were looking at primarily staying at Orange Lake but wanted to see what the benefits are of HICV. Thank you for the advice. Honestly, I didn't know there was a different between the two (I thought if I owned Orange Lake, I'm a part of HICV). It tells me that I have much to learn and I have some reading to do before I make any commitments.

Thank you to all who have responded. Really appreciate it!!

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
We'll have to try this next time if we go as renters. I mean, it was relentless... A few days it was twice - mornings around 9am and early-evenings, right before 6pm.

We were looking at primarily staying at Orange Lake but wanted to see what the benefits are of HICV. Thank you for the advice. Honestly, I didn't know there was a different between the two (I thought if I owned Orange Lake, I'm a part of HICV). It tells me that I have much to learn and I have some reading to do before I make any commitments.

Thank you to all who have responded. Really appreciate it!!

I’m a little confused on that???

I “think” what was meant is do you want the main location to be Orange Lake so you can go there often or do you want to be part of HICV because of the places they own

I’m not sure anything in OL is separate from HICV

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I’m a little confused on that???

I “think” what was meant is do you want the main location to be Orange Lake so you can go there often or do you want to be part of HICV because of the places they own

I’m not sure anything in OL is separate from HICV
Owning at Orange Lake separate from being a member or part of HICV, in that not everyone who owns at OL or at many of the resorts managed by HICV, is a member of the HICV (Holiday Inn Vacation Club) and gets to use the internal HICV points exchange system to exchange for other resorts within the system.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Owning at Orange Lake separate from being a member or part of HICV, in that not everyone who owns at OL or at many of the resorts managed by HICV, is a member of the HICV (Holiday Inn Vacation Club) and gets to use the internal HICV points exchange system to exchange for other resorts within the system.

Never knew that
Thanks for the info