• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HICV limiting transfer of points to IHG to only 50K

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Another surprise ... :mad:

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
It depends on your member level...Elites get to transfer 300k

Reactions: DrQ

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I thought they weren't allowing any at this time.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
i know anyone who doesnt have a membership level was given 50k in bonus points and was not allowed to transfer. Anyone with membership level can move a certain amount of points depending on your level but didnt get bonus points.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We got 50 K bonus points but we weren’t allowed to transfer those into IHG. We are able to put our regular points in IHG though. We used the 50 K points to stay at OL. If we didn’t use them they would expire in December 2020.
Better to use then lose.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
We got 50 K bonus points but we weren’t allowed to transfer those into IHG. We are able to put our regular points in IHG though. We used the 50 K points to stay at OL. If we didn’t use them they would expire in December 2020.
Better to use then lose.
How many points do you get a year and when were you able to transfer to IHG

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
127,000 points, I transferred 65, 000 before Covid. Was gifted 50,000 point that couldn’t be transfered. We used for a stay at OL. I’m hoping they mean you cannot use those points in IHG only. We have been using IHG to go along with other timeshare vacations. Never use HIVC points in RCI, they are only worth half value thru RCI. We have stayed in HIVC in Myrtle Beach, Cape Canaveral, Lee MA, and our home Resort OL several times. Looking to try Wisconsin, Tennessee and several others in the next few years. We have cut our timeshare inventory to 3 timeshares. Gave away most of the other weeks we owned and deeded back others. It took us a while to understand HIVC but overall, it works well for us.
I’m not going to buy anything else.
Silentg

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
RCI isnt really half the value...It just shows up in converted points. IHG is a much worse conversion. I stayed 10 nights at a Welk resort in San Diego last Christmas for the cost of staying at Orange Lake.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IHG is a much worse conversion. I stayed 10 nights at a Welk resort in San Diego last Christmas for the cost of staying at Orange Lake.
I would agree. In addition to the 20% haircut you take when you convert and the cost incurred, you don't get full parity for your original cost compared to what you would get if you used them within HICV. That said, the only advantage was that they do not expire as long as you keep you IHG membership active.

I decided to use our points by getting a 3BR which has a lockout with a 1BR and a 2BR. Each side has its own A/C unit and we are looking at putting out an invitation to another couple that are isolating as are we and have similar health risks, so we are equally motivated to have been socially distancing. If they accept, it will be an experiment in a COVID-19 social distancing and curing cabin fever.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We are doing that now! But we stayed 6 nights in Rome on IHG points, before going to Ireland. We use IHG points for one night hotel stays on drivable timeshare trips we stop once on the way to and from.We save up points earned during travel too.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
127,000 points, I transferred 65, 000 before Covid. Was gifted 50,000 point that couldn’t be transfered. We used for a stay at OL. I’m hoping they mean you cannot use those points in IHG only. We have been using IHG to go along with other timeshare vacations. Never use HIVC points in RCI, they are only worth half value thru RCI. We have stayed in HIVC in Myrtle Beach, Cape Canaveral, Lee MA, and our home Resort OL several times. Looking to try Wisconsin, Tennessee and several others in the next few years. We have cut our timeshare inventory to 3 timeshares. Gave away most of the other weeks we owned and deeded back others. It took us a while to understand HIVC but overall, it works well for us.
Silentg

I know you have mentioned that your HICV point cut in half when transferred to RCI

Correct me if I’m wrong. But isn’t the value still the same?
If you have say 200k points with HICV and that gets you a 2br July 4 week doesn’t the RCI value even if say a 100k still get a 2br July 4 week in their system?

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I am not using my IHG or HICV points with RCI. So I don’t know personally. We have had good luck going thru HICV staying at other resorts. And stayed many reward nights with IHG. I have other timeshares that are affiliated with RCI but they are fixed weeks with TPU. That account regular RCI I use to exchange. Other members of Holiday Inn Club Vacations could tell you their dealings with RCI points .

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I know you have mentioned that your HICV point cut in half when transferred to RCI

Correct me if I’m wrong. But isn’t the value still the same?
If you have say 200k points with HICV and that gets you a 2br July 4 week doesn’t the RCI value even if say a 100k still get a 2br July 4 week in their system?

yes that is correct !

Julie Siefers

Reaction score
Silentg
We are new to HICV. We had a deeded week in MO for 20 yrs. Just met with them this weekend and are paying for the prime platinum. Giving our deeded week back was $120,000 Pts, plus then another 30,000 = gives us $150,000 yr. It is confusing. I agree with not using RCI.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
We are new to HICV. We had a deeded week in MO for 20 yrs. Just met with them this weekend and are paying for the prime platinum. Giving our deeded week back was $120,000 Pts, plus then another 30,000 = gives us $150,000 yr. It is confusing. I agree with not using RCI.

RCI is not half value
Look at page 143 in the guide book

It’s the exact same value so if your 100,000 points buys you a 2br July 4 week for 7 days at a HICV. Resort then when you look at RCI it will show a 2br July 4 week for 7 days as 50,000 points in their system buy you will need 100,000 of your HICV point to book it

Exactly the same type of unit. Same week. Same resort class. Just the way it looks on paper may get confusing but you are actually get same for same

750E6482-D5B0-4875-897F-67B077BFE4C7.jpeg

The only really bad trade is trading your points in to IHG
As I mentioned. I use it sometimes but I’ve recently learned there are better ways to obtain IHG points than trading your HICV points
Trading to IHG is a true deduction of value. 25% less value

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's like comparing currencies. A dollar will buy what a euro will buy what a yen will buy and so on. Each currency has a different "value" but there is a conversion level we can all understand. In currency terms it might be a loaf of bread. In timeshare terms it will be a 2 bedroom July 4th week.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
And just another thought

Depending on what level you are at with HICV you can actually end up ahead or with a better value
For instance
We get a 30% discount so if we use a maintenance fee of $0.007 which is higher than what we are at but just a number
And we use 150,000 in RCI.
A booking fee with RCI of $250

Kick back the 45,000 rebate points at .007 in maintenance I already paid and still get to book elsewhere
That’s $315 of maintenance on points I received back Vs the $250 booking fee

So with that scenario I’m ahead $65
The more I would book. Like 250,000 points the better the picture begins to look

Every situation and booking will be different
But that’s one way to look at it. Unless I’m doing monkey math or something??

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
If you Exchange within HICV you don’t lose value of points. And exchange fee is much lower. We are starting to do this . IHG points don’t expire, so that is a value in itself. One thing I found using HICV for Cruises was terrible. Better to book directly with cruise lines than thru HIVC. Currently we have 4 vacations planned for this year and next. Going to deal with those before making any more plans. Tentative River Cruise for 2022 late in the year.
None of them are HICV, but may use IHG to go along with trips.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Never ending info

I thought I had a pretty good grip on the system but since joining here I’ve learned a lot from a few others who most certainly know a thing or two

But that’s how you learn right?
Some knowledge and some by mistakes or trial and error