• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HICV acquires Royal Resorts

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the Royal Islander was not included in the list of resorts. I wonder what that means

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holliday Inn Club Vacations
I read the full press release and it states As part of a separate agreement, Tortuga Resorts UK Limited is acquiring the entities which own and operate the remaining Royal Resorts properties – The Royal Islander® and Royal Uno® All Inclusive Resort & Spa.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting! I love these resorts, but haven't been back since they went AI for II exchangers. I wonder how HIVC will deal with that? Or with the rights to use the other Royal resorts while staying at one? (We used the Sands quite a bit when we stayed at the then-tri-Royals.)

The deal, nor the press release, mentions the fate of the three Caribbean island resorts, one of which bears the Royal name:

Last edited:

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On HICV website it states An all-inclusive option may be available at this resort with special Members’ pricing. Im guessing it will be optional for owners. Hoping at least. Im excited to see the points chart.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The AI has always been optional for Royal owners and their guests/renters, but mandatory for II exchangers. Does this mean that they'll move to RCI from II? That would be a loss (although not as much of one since they went AI, I have to say.)

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I doubt it. HICV has some II resorts as well as RCI resorts.

Yes I wonder what will happen to the Caribbean resorts that they managed.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
wow, thats some pretty incredible news!

those resorts have been some of the top rated on TUG for YEARS!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting that the Royal Islander was not included in the list of resorts. I wonder what that means
Isn't Royal Islander coming close to the end of its life as a timeshare?

Edit: Found it, it looks like 2023 is the last year of use for timeshare owners at Royal Islander;

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The AI has always been optional for Royal owners and their guests/renters, but mandatory for II exchangers.
Only optional/mandatory for as long as it has been optional/mandatory. I seem to recall a time when there was no AI option at all at Royal Sands. They then instituted mandatory AI for exchangers and anyone booking cash stays. I don't recall exactly when this happened.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
question remaining is what is inventory going to look like?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
How do they have points charts already? Has the deal even closed?

Umpqua98

Reaction score
How do they have points charts already? Has the deal even closed?
Yes, done deal. Guess they did a good job of keeping it quiet while the deal was going through. I had an owners update last week at Orange Lake and I don't think the sales guy knew about this. If he did, I'm sure he would have used the info to push me to buy more points.

oneil1305

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 4 weeks at the Royal Islander and it’s end of contract is this July. We received the email about the sale and we are waiting to find out how much we will get back in residuals. We received about 60% pf our purchase price back when the Royal Caribbean was sold.

dmahanay

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 4 weeks at the Royal Islander and it’s end of contract is this July. We received the email about the sale and we are waiting to find out how much we will get back in residuals. We received about 60% pf our purchase price back when the Royal Caribbean was sold.
I am an owner of the Royal Islander. Was just there in April for two weeks. I have not received an email from them about the sale. Would you be willing to email me a copy of the email you received. When I was there all they would say about RI was it would be two or three months before they knew about a sale:( Doris Mahanay dmahanay@comcast.net

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect it would be similar to the timeline of the Royal Caribbean. Anyone recall what that was?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at HICV online and do not see how to reserve a unit? Mexico does not even show on our options.

There's a note on the website you have to call until they get it added to the system. That's what happened with Ridge Tahoe as well - iirc it took about 6 months before it was available online.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone is able to book...

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What was your offer?

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
There's a note on the website you have to call until they get it added to the system. That's what happened with Ridge Tahoe as well - iirc it took about 6 months before it was available online.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone is able to book...
I booked for next Summer at the Signature resort Grand Residents