• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HHI Beaches Disappointed

MVCOwner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista 2 & 3 bedroom
FYI just spent a week at Grande Ocean and while the resort was fine, was disappointed we couldn’t enjoy the ocean as my kids had the fear of stingray stings. ( I know aquatic life abounds in the ocean) Both got it and my wife on the leg on first day and I got it second day and it itches bad after the tingling subsided. Lifeguard said it was “something” but saw so many near shore. One guy a few days ago was in almost agony rubbing his leg. It’s almost like staff want to ignore what it is when asked. Some people said do the stingray stifle but it’s more of a nervous shuffle. Makes me happy to have to periodically dodge jellyfish!!

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
I can understand why you would fill that way given your experience. Been going since 1995 and sometimes it happens.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We have never even once experienced that at Hilton Head in decades of visiting several times per year, but I'm sure there can be seasons during which strange things happen.
We were there for 2 weeks in Jan, 2 weeks in Feb, 1 week in April, and 3 weeks in June, and nothing like that prevailed.
We're headed back later this month and again in September.

There have been a lot more storms this summer, especially in July and August, and they're still hanging around. They're not the typical storms that move across
the southeast in a northeasterly direction (up from the gulf), but instead they have been rather static, popping up suddenly and then reappearing again randomly.
If they exhibit any movement at all, it's very slow. The entire southeast has looked like that on radar for a couple of months ----- I've been watching daily.

That weather pattern must have affected the jellyfish population and apparently that of the stingrays too.
I think you'll find the same thing all up and down the east coast from time to time.....In mid and lower Florida the storms have historically moved across the state rather fast,
but I haven't been watching there so much this season. However, it's all the same ocean, and Hilton Head is really no different than Myrtle Beach, Charleston,
Jacksonville, and Daytona. Bottom line, it's definitely not something that's common or unique to Hilton Head.

We visited Maui Ocean Club a few years ago in April, and it rained hard every day---rained sideways in fact most days----we had only one afternoon with any sun at all,
a total disaster compared to what our expectations were.
Another time we were in Florida when wildfires were rampant across the state, and you could smell smoke every day. The interstate highways were closed for days.
But those things happen, and we certainly don't judge a place for random departures from the typical. Maui is usually wonderful in April, and Florida idyllic year-round.

Sorry you had something like that happen, especially when it diminished the enjoyment of a family beach vacation.

Last edited:

MVCOwner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
W
We have never even once experienced that at Hilton Head in decades of visiting several times per year, but I'm sure there can be seasons during which strange things happen.
We were there for 2 weeks in Jan, 2 weeks in Feb, 1 week in April, and 3 weeks in June, and nothing like that prevailed.
We're headed back later this month and again in September.

There have been a lot more storms this summer, especially in July and August, and they're still hanging around. They're not the typical storms that move across
the southeast in a northeasterly direction (up from the gulf), but instead they have been rather static, popping up suddenly and then reappearing again randomly.
If they exhibit any movement at all, it's very slow. The entire southeast has looked like that on radar for a couple of months ----- I've been watching daily.

That weather pattern must have affected the jellyfish population and apparently that of the stingrays too.
I think you'll find the same thing all up and down the east coast from time to time.....In mid and lower Florida the storms have historically moved across the state rather fast,
but I haven't been watching there so much this season. However, it's all the same ocean, and Hilton Head is really no different than Myrtle Beach, Charleston,
Jacksonville, and Daytona. Bottom line, it's definitely not something that's common or unique to Hilton Head.

We visited Maui Ocean Club a few years ago in April, and it rained hard every day---rained sideways in fact most days----we had only one afternoon with any sun at all,
a total disaster compared to what our expectations were.
Another time we were in Florida when wildfires were rampant across the state, and you could smell smoke every day. The interstate highways were closed for days.
But those things happen, and we certainly don't judge a place for random departures from the typical. Maui is usually wonderful in April, and Florida idyllic year-round.

Sorry you had something like that happen, especially when it diminished the enjoyment of a family beach vacation.

We adapted the best we could. I originally thought it was a one off but then looked at ALL the people at the beach and then soooo few in the water and a lot just standing 3 feet in the water, then googled HHI stingrays and found it was more prevalent then I thought.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI just spent a week at Grande Ocean and while the resort was fine, was disappointed we couldn’t enjoy the ocean as my kids had the fear of stingray stings. ( I know aquatic life abounds in the ocean) Both got it and my wife on the leg on first day and I got it second day and it itches bad after the tingling subsided. Lifeguard said it was “something” but saw so many near shore. One guy a few days ago was in almost agony rubbing his leg. It’s almost like staff want to ignore what it is when asked. Some people said do the stingray stifle but it’s more of a nervous shuffle. Makes me happy to have to periodically dodge jellyfish!!

Stingray stings do not itch. They hurt and typically the pain can last for several days. What you are describing does not sound like a stingray sting at all. Maybe a jellyfish- but certainly not a stingray. I was stung by a stingray at St. Gorge Island, Florida a few years ago and man was it painful. My foot swelled up and I could barely walk for several days. Also the wound continued to bleed for several days. Nothing itchy about it whatsoever. Stingrays typically only sting if you step on them- they do not sting just swimming around you. The reason for the shuffle is to scare them away before you step on one and it stings you.

Reactions: jme

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score

We are frequent visitors to Grande Ocean and Hilton Head as well and as a rule don't experience this. With that said, news reports from the Hilton Head Island Packet newspaper show that sting ray stings in the summer months when the water warms up are relatively common (pay site so I can't link). We did have a similar experience on our trip in June 2020. We were notified by guest services that south atlantic stingray activity was unusually high at the moment and to use caution if entering the ocean (utilize shuffle steps, etc.). On the afternoon of our second day I ventured into water that was below my knees. As the waves receded, I look down to see not one but five+ small (probably less than a foot in diameter) sting rays skimming along the bottom in 6-12 inches of water between me and the shoreline. I carefully "shuffled" my way out of the water and remained out the rest of the week. There were multiple reports of stingray stings on the beaches around Hilton Head that week.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
We had one trip a few years ago when my daughter got stung on her ankle by a stingray and as @jwalk03 said, it didn't itch but it was PAINFUL for days. She said it felt like somebody shot a length of barbed wire into her leg that wrapped around her ankle and then yanked it out just as quickly. The remedy is to soak the puncture point in water as hot as you can stand ASAP; in the ten minutes it took her to get off the beach and back to the house she was screaming in agony, and it took a few hours of refilling the pan every 15 minutes or so for the pain to subside. She was a twenty-something at the time, not a little kid! Years later she still has the scar.

I didn't know until that trip that stingrays were a thing at Hilton Head. All I knew about them was that a friend had gotten stung at Anna Maria Island in Florida and she ended up with an infection that landed her as an inpatient in the hospital. We learned the beach shuffle while we were there but now we do it at HHI, too.

The things at HHI that cause a second or two of pain and then itch horribly for days are a type of jellyfish and it's not that they bite you - when they brush across your skin they have tiny razor-like things on their tails that break the skin. The lifeguards have a spray bottle with some kind of solution that alleviates the immediate discomfort, and using Benadryl cream or taking Benadryl tablets helps with the itch.

During certain perfect air/water/humidity conditions there will be critters at any beach, enough to turn everyone away from the beach if we think about them long enough!

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Just went to MGO the last first week of Aug. We were told to watch for sting rays and jellys. Our kids were a bit freaked out at first, but after a day they swam quite a bit. We didn't see any sting rays but heard from a couple people who saw stings up the beach days prior. My son thinks he got a light hit from a jelly, but I'm not certain that is right. If he did it was very minor. I've see pics on facebook of quite a few jelly stings recently on HHI. Every area has its issues. We are from Michigan and spent many vacations on Michigan beaches. Great sand, hard packed, no jellys, sting rays, sharks, etc., no salt. But always cold even in the dregs of August and it makes swimming very limited, although you can get days where it is warm, even on Lake Superior which is usually too cold to even walk in. And, significant rip current activity.

MVCOwner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I misspoke about the itching; that was from Mosquito bites, the stinging was definitely from a stingray as all the stings were in chest deep water at the ankle. One grande ocean person finally said it’s during warm water of summer but indicated “we don’t want to highlight it much”

Last edited by a moderator:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We had one trip a few years ago when my daughter got stung on her ankle by a stingray and as @jwalk03 said, it didn't itch but it was PAINFUL for days. She said it felt like somebody shot a length of barbed wire into her leg that wrapped around her ankle and then yanked it out just as quickly. The remedy is to soak the puncture point in water as hot as you can stand ASAP; in the ten minutes it took her to get off the beach and back to the house she was screaming in agony, and it took a few hours of refilling the pan every 15 minutes or so for the pain to subside. She was a twenty-something at the time, not a little kid! Years later she still has the scar.
I didn't know until that trip that stingrays were a thing at Hilton Head. All I knew about them was that a friend had gotten stung at Anna Maria Island in Florida and she ended up with an infection that landed her as an inpatient in the hospital. We learned the beach shuffle while we were there but now we do it at HHI, too.
The things at HHI that cause a second or two of pain and then itch horribly for days are a type of jellyfish and it's not that they bite you - when they brush across your skin they have tiny razor-like things on their tails that break the skin. The lifeguards have a spray bottle with some kind of solution that alleviates the immediate discomfort, and using Benadryl cream or taking Benadryl tablets helps with the itch.

During certain perfect air/water/humidity conditions there will be critters at any beach, enough to turn everyone away from the beach if we think about them long enough!

Good info, Susan.....thanks!!!

From my reading in general, as for diagnosing the origin of stings, bites, injuries, etc, severe pain that lasts a long time is usually from a stingray.
Also, itches are not from a stingray but from a jellyfish.
The CRITICAL thing is to determine "WhoDunnit?" .... It definitely makes a difference!

Jellyfish: We know that meat tenderizer (in a shaker) is an instant treatment that works for jellyfish stings, and some recommend vinegar as well.
We always carry meat tenderizer to the beach because it's convenient, but thankfully we've only used it once or twice, but we've loaned it out while on the beach
following an episode involving someone else.

Some online quotes: (any bold letters were bold in the quotes)
1. A study published in The Medical Journal of Australia showed that removing any tentacles left by a jellyfish, then dousing an injured body part with commercial vinegar or its crucial ingredient, acetic acid, could alleviate pain and “rapidly and completely” prevent the release of more venom.
2. What do lifeguards put on a jellyfish sting? As well as dousing jellyfish stings with vinegar or hot water, the new EMS policy says lifeguards should scrape venom sacs from the skin. Clark said if lifeguards aren't in sight, beachgoers could remove the sacs in a pinch, as long as they're careful. Tweezers also help.
3. What should I take to the beach for a jellyfish sting? To be prepared for your day at the beach, it's recommended that you bring along a small bottle of vinegar and a pair of tweezers. While you're not likely to get stung often, it's always better to be prepared!
4. Can you put meat tenderizer on jellyfish sting? To help relieve the pain caused by a jellyfish sting, try this remedy. Meat tenderizer — The papain enzyme found in most meat tenderizers helps break down the protein found in jellyfish venom to reduce swelling, pain, and itching.
5. Vinegar inactivates the jelly's nematocysts so they can't fire, which means when you go to remove the tentacles you won't end up with more venom than before. Of course, once you treat with vinegar you still have to remove the stingers with tweezers.
6. What neutralizes jellyfish venom? Vinegar is used to stop the venom in stingers. Caution: Do not use ammonia, urine, rubbing alcohol, fresh water or ice. They all can trigger the release of more venom. If you don't have vinegar, move on to scraping off the stingers.
7. Is Windex good for jellyfish sting? What not to do for jellyfish stings > Irrigate with ammonia. One common home remedy involves spraying the affected area with a product containing ammonia, such as Windex window cleaner. The ammonia allegedly neutralizes the venom in the nematocysts, but this has not been proven scientifically.
8. Most jelly stings are relatively mild, though some -- particularly the Portuguese Man-of-War -- can cause a great deal of pain. However, most stings can be treated simply by rubbing the affected area with vinegar, meat tenderizer or even sand.
9. How long will a jellyfish sting last? The pain usually decreases or stops after 1–2 hours and the sores may fade after a few days. You may also have a rash or redness in the area which was stung.

Stingray:

Quotes that got my attention:
1. Can stingrays paralyze you? The wounded area may become swollen and may turn blue or red. Lymph nodes may become swollen. Symptoms such as nausea,
vomiting, fever, chills, muscle cramps, tremors, paralysis, fainting, seizures, elevated heart rate, and decreased blood pressure may develop. Death may even occur.
2. Do I need to go to the hospital for a stingray sting? "If you are stung by a stingray, call an ambulance immediately. If a spine is embedded in your skin,
it's generally best to leave removal to medical professionals. You can rinse the area with salt water to remove any sand or debris. Usually, the sting is very painful."
3. Call 911. The patient of a stingray sting will need medical attention. Stingray stings are very painful and patients will at a minimum need to undergo treatment for pain control.
4. Typically regarded as inquisitive but wary fish, all stingrays are armed with at least one serrated venomous spine at the base of their whip-like tails. Short-tail stingrays possess two tail spines: a slender spike in front of a huge jagged bayonet.
5. Emergency medical evaluation is also important for stings that cause any kind of systemic symptoms, like:
......a.Chest pain.
......b. Dizziness.
......c. Nausea.
......d. Vomiting.
......e. Seizures.

Other random quotes:
1. How do you make a stingray sting hurt less? Flush the wound with fresh water. For pain relief, soak the wound in water as hot as the person can tolerate
(approximately 110 F, 43.3 C). Use tweezers to remove the stingers. Scrub the wound with soap and fresh water.
2. How long do stingray stings last? The main symptom of a stingray sting is immediate severe pain. Although often limited to the injured area, the pain may spread rapidly, reaching its greatest intensity in < 90 minutes; in most cases, pain gradually diminishes over 6 to 48 hours but occasionally lasts days or weeks.
3. Does vinegar help stingray sting? Soak jellyfish stings in salt water or vinegar (fresh water will increase pain and may release more of the toxin). Soak stingray stings in hot (but not scalding) water until the pain diminishes.
4. How do you treat a stingray sting at home?
....Stingray Injury Treatment:
......a.Bathe Wound in Seawater and Remove Pieces.
......b. Stop Bleeding.
......c. Soak Wound in Hot Water For Pain Relief.
......d. Scrub Wound.
......e. Go to a Hospital Emergency Room.
......f. Follow Up.
5. If you step on a stingray, immerse the puncture wound in very hot water to reduce the pain, then visit a doctor for a tetanus shot.
6. Stingrays have a Painful Toxin....."It causes this intense pain sensation — a throbbing, kind of aching pain sensation. And it literally takes hours to go away."
7. What is the stingray shuffle? The shuffle is simply moving your feet along the sea floor instead on taking steps that involve lifting your foot. The shuffling sends vibrations that scare away stingrays in the immediate vicinity, thus you won't accidentally step on one.
8. Why are stingrays so close to shore? Stingrays come into shallow Gulf waters for their mating season and settle in; they get partially covered with sand which makes it difficult to see them. By shuffling your feet during these months, you give the Stingrays a chance to glide out of your way and you help to avoid the chances of sustaining a painful sting.

(Per stingrays, I've never feared them until Steve Irwin got killed by one back in 2006. He was stabbed 100 times within seconds.)

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I misspoke about the itching; that was from Mosquito bites, the stinging was definitely from a stingray as all the stings were in chest deep water at the ankle. One grande ocean person finally said it’s during warm water of summer but indicated “we don’t want to highlight it much”

Trust me if they were stingray stings you would have been out of the water and in severe pain. A stingray sting creates a puncture wound that bleeds and very likely requires medical attention.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of creatures out there including fish and sharks. It's hard to say what stung you, but as jwalk03 stated, you will be in immense pain from a stingray. I was at GO last week and this is a picture of what a young guy caught on his surf pole. It was at least four feet long or more and would have been right around the depth of water you are talking about.

1660662116529.jpeg

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jellyfish: We know that meat tenderizer (in a shaker) is an instant treatment that works for jellyfish stings, and some recommend vinegar as well.
We always carry meat tenderizer to the beach because it's convenient, but thankfully we've only used it once or twice, but we've loaned it out while on the beach
following an episode involving someone else.

Good writeup jme! And then there was mine, a little different. I got stung purportedly in St Thomas by a contactless Cassiopea Jellyfish, had never heard of them. Boy did that burn! Half my torso was covered. No tentacles.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why I now prefer swimming in the pool and walking on the beach:cool:. We went to Rehoboth Beach, DE one summer when we were kids and several of us got stung by jellyfish. They were everywhere that week so we didn't go back in the ocean. They definitely had the tentacles. When I was in HH last May, there were a lot of jellyfish washed up on the shore, but the guys at the umbrella stand said they weren't the stinging type. I thought I saw tentacles in some, so I thought those stung. We've seen several shark just off the beaches of Singer Island frequently in Spring. My brother caught a 130 lb. Hammerhead within view of Oceana Palms. My brother almost walked on top of an alligator near Marco Island when on a birdwatch hike.

Nothing is completely safe from critters. On our honeymoon cruise, my wife got stung by a bug when we were at El Moro castle in San Juan. Her forehead swelled up and she looked like Herman Munster (don't tell her I said that). The swelling went down by the time we got back to the ship, and she never felt pain. We love to hike in the Rockies, but need to watch out for bear, moose, snakes, and other wildlife. There are always risks to having fun.