• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC - Why difficulty in booking time convenient to the owner?

sanecitizen98

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
marriott maui ocean club
So I have taken advantage of "timeshare promo invite" 2 times in Las Vegas (4 days/3nights for a minimal price) to explore HGVC. I myself had difficulty booking the exact date range I wanted on both occasions (even 6 to 9months in advance).
As I contemplate buying Hilton Grand Vacations points (via resale), I encounter quite a few posts where even owners seem to have difficulty booking a specific week(or dates) they had in mind. HGVC advertises their point system as having the flexibility needed to accommodate most travelers. At the most recent promo, they kept emphasizing that I could really stretch my 8,400-10,000 points into a few mini-vacations 2 or 3 days at a time.
If my intuition is correct, it seems like Hilton makes it intentionally difficult? WHY? Is it because they want most rooms/suites for the retail market? I presently own some Marriott weeks and never seem to have that much difficulty.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
So I moved your thread to the HGVC forum.

HGVC advertises their point system as having the flexibility needed to accommodate most travelers.

I personally think that it is.

I encounter quite a few posts where even owners seem to have difficulty booking a specific week(or dates) they had in mind.

I don't know which posts you are referring too. Yes, there are some places difficult to get into at selected times but in general, I find fairly good availability when the club booking window opens.

If you want to give specifics, maybe we can advise.

If my intuition is correct, it seems like Hilton makes it intentionally difficult?

I don't agree with this statement at all.

cindyc

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have been an HGVC owner for four years and have always gotten what I wanted when I booked at the 9-month club booking window. If I try to book just 4-6 months out, I am about 50-50. I think it is just the universal timeshare truth that the early bird gets the worm. You have to have your plan and act on your plan at the 12-month window for Home Week (the resort, size, and season you own) or 9-month window for Club reservations (anything other than Home Week).

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I think the difficulty is more a factor of supply and demand.

If you are staying on a promotional rate, only developer inventory is available NOT all inventory, so high demand time may already be booked. New year eve in Vegas is high demand, but I am not sure what dates you were looking for.

Now generally within HGVC it is pretty easy to book. The exceptions are were owners use a lot of the HOME season weeks, and there is not as much available for CLUB season bookings, and what is available is in high demand from the rest of HGVC members. Oahu is such an example of this. HOME season is 13 to 9 months prior to check in dates. A lot of units get picked up, especially prime like christmas, new years, holidays. There is usually rooms if you check on exactly the 9 months mark for non-owners but wait a day after that and like their are little or no units left, unless you manage to catch a cancellation. Other hard to get areas are going to be Ski season, and Spring availability on the west coast of Florida. These are hard to get as owners either book them during HOME season, or never give them up as they have a fixed week. These owners often rent them out on their own as they can receive a premium for them. So they never even make it into HGVC inventory.

Now if it is Orlando you want, you can find lots of availability for most of the year, the exception is likely Easter time frame.

So it depends on where and when you want to go. I find some HGVC locations are accessible if you are flexible and plan in advance. But that is the exception, MOST are available and easy to book, even only a few months before travel.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've done developer package twice and gotten our preferred dates both times (over a holiday weekend). One time we did have to stay at he New York Hilton hotel (rather than W. 57th), but we booked this one pretty late).

As fr using our points, never had a problem getting the dates we want if we book early.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
they kept emphasizing that I could really stretch my 8,400-10,000 points into a few mini-vacations 2 or 3 days at a time.

3 days, yes. 2 days not an option except for the by Hilton Club locations. For regular HGVC, 3-day min.

[QUOTE="sanecitizen98, post: 2212724, member: 108022"
If my intuition is correct, it seems like Hilton makes it intentionally difficult? WHY? Is it because they want most rooms/suites for the retail market? I presently own some Marriott weeks and never seem to have that much difficulty.[/QUOTE]

Unlikely as the conjecture doesn't make mush sense. There would be no reason to do this intentionally.

Cheers.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have taken advantage of "timeshare promo invite" 2 times in Las Vegas (4 days/3nights for a minimal price) to explore HGVC. I myself had difficulty booking the exact date range I wanted on both occasions (even 6 to 9months in advance).
As I contemplate buying Hilton Grand Vacations points (via resale), I encounter quite a few posts where even owners seem to have difficulty booking a specific week(or dates) they had in mind. HGVC advertises their point system as having the flexibility needed to accommodate most travelers. At the most recent promo, they kept emphasizing that I could really stretch my 8,400-10,000 points into a few mini-vacations 2 or 3 days at a time.
If my intuition is correct, it seems like Hilton makes it intentionally difficult? WHY? Is it because they want most rooms/suites for the retail market? I presently own some Marriott weeks and never seem to have that much difficulty.
i do not think that it is difficult to book. Because you do not see the availability online you may have that impression but there are typically plenty of days/ weeks you can chose from. There are certain days/ resorts that are harder to book but you will manage. I got Tuscany in June 2019 for example, one of the ones that are harder to book. I do not think that LV is a problem in general.

Concerning you your potential purchase, there is a list on TUG with the resorts with the lowest MF per point. Good luck!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Eh. I got a 7000 point 2 bedroom at Ocean 22 in late June (very popular time) at the 8.5 month point and there was still a availability a couple of weeks after. If you want SW Florida for spring break, you will probably be out of luck. Owners buy those fixed weeks to use them, not trade them in. Ski weeks are tough if you don’t own those weeks either. If you ask most people here, they will say that aside from the sales weasels, HGVC is a great product and they treat their owners very well. It’s flexible and with the amount of resorts (and new ones coming all the time), there’s always a place to go.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
80% of the people are after 20% of the time slots.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As always, points are a license to hunt, not a guarantee of space.
Much like a parking pass for a college campus with classes in session.
But if you're flexible as to time or place, you can usually find something.

Last edited:

sanecitizen98

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
marriott maui ocean club
---
WOW - Based on the initial feedback, I feel a lot better about the potential success of using HGVC points. Like most of you, I try to book 9-12months in advance whenever I can. I'll chalk up some of the negative feedback I have read (some on non-TUG forums) to people who aren't planning enough ahead of time or who are expecting unreasonable results for high-demand times.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I'll chalk up some of the negative feedback I have read (some on non-TUG forums) to people who aren't planning enough ahead of time or who are expecting unreasonable results for high-demand times.

That would be my take also. I also think that some people expect availability like a hotel (maybe 1 to 2 months before their trip they start looking). As I am sure you have experienced from Marriott, this just doesn't work in the TS world.

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked Sunrise Lodge (Park City) for a week in mid-January. At 9 months out, there was nothing available. I would check every once in a while and I've seen different weeks pop up as owners cancel their home weeks starting as early as 5 months out. This will be my second visit there. I did something similar on my first visit.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are trying to book popular dates at a prime location or a really popular timeshare then this will require some work. For example, the Lagoon Tower in Hawaii requires planning for June, July, and August. It gets completely booked before the Grand Waikikian which shares the same check in lobby. Then there are times when I see lots of availability for the Lagoon Tower. If you can travel outside of school vacations then you’ll be fine.

As my kids get older I see my window for vacationing shrink more and more.

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
Hilton is also adding about 25,000 new retail members/year for the last couple of years which increase demand.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Hilton is also adding about 25,000 new retail members/year for the last couple of years which increase demand.

Yes, I do believe this is a true statement but HGV is also adding the inventory for these new members.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

It is still a supply and demand issue. Not everyone can get a holiday week at the beach for July 4th. So holidays are problematic, but for the rest of the times, for most of us, it is good.

audirt

Reaction score
I understand the OP's concern and I had difficulty getting what I wanted when I was a new owner. As others have said, the trick is booking as close to the 9mo mark as you can, with the exception of some HGVC saturated areas. (You are basically guaranteed to find a condo somewhere in Vegas or Orlando regardless of when you make your reservation.)

You didn't ask about this, but I can tell you that all of the HGVC properties are more than adequate. I haven't stayed in a single resort that I didn't think was great.

As a data point, we got our preferred dates for 5 days at the Grand Waikikian (2BR premium) in Hawaii over spring break... but we made our reservation pretty close to the 9month mark. There were multiple room categories available for our dates.

If your schedule doesn't allow you to make plans 9mos in advance, HGVC may not be right for you. For example, you're gonna have a really hard time booking a room in Breckenridge during ski season with only 3 months notice.