• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC versus by Hilton Club branding

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I'm totally confused by the branding decisions HGV has made on some of their new resorts. When they introduced the "by Hilton Club" brand for the urban New York City and Washington, DC locations and set those up with a shorter Club Season, it made sense that the bHC branding was designed to differentiate those urban properties with much shorter Club Seasons.

That theory was destroyed when they recently released their 2020 points schedules/reservation windows (see image below) and revealed that the upcoming bHC locations in Charleston and Japan would have standard 276 day reservation windows like regular HGVC branded locations. Add to that the decision to brand Chicago as HGVC and Los Cabos as bHC means that bHC is not reserved just for urban locales. I was also surprised that Los Cabos was not on the 2020 schedules, since Executive Management said in their last earnings call the Los Cabos location was supposed to open in the first half of 2020.

So, mark me as perplexed by how HGV has decided to brand their resorts as HGVC or bHC. Can anyone else see a pattern or rationale that I'm missing?

Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 2.52.20 PM.png

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I also can not figure this out. Hopefully, someone on here will know.

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I agree, very confusing..

I had originally thought this would be limited to urban destinations. Having a separate brand for upscale urban properties made sense to me. Then as they expanded it to some of the other location, i was guessing that it would be a more upscale offering. The choice to have Chicago a regular HGV club fit that model, as that location is attached to an Embassy Suites, which is a mid-tier Hilton brand.

But i am a loss for some of the other location, and wide variation in booking windows.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My guess is they do a lot of research and surveys to decide which properties can come off as more exclusive and desirable where that can get more money because they tighten the reservation period and then designate it bHC.

It is all about supply, demand, location, and in my opinion most importantly type of buyers that visit the location that Will pay the price.

Somewhere along the way the original concept probably changed on what bHC would be. Bottom line, I believe it is a moving concept, it changes where they can make the most money.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Maui is named "Maui Bay Villas by Hilton Grand Vacation Club" and under the View Booking Eligibility tab it has this to say:
"Club Booking - Availability to be booked from 1 until 276 days"

Is this a bHC with different rules that permit regular Club Booking? Is this something that will change to a shorter club booking window as they sell out?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Is this a bHC with different rules that permit regular Club Booking? Is this something that will change to a shorter club booking window as they sell out?

No, this is the normal HGVC club season booking window for most HGVC resorts.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Maui is named "Maui Bay Villas by Hilton Grand Vacation Club" and under the View Booking Eligibility tab it has this to say:
"Club Booking - Availability to be booked from 1 until 276 days"

Based on the name, it is a normal HGVC resort; therefore operates under normal Club booking rules, as GT75 points out. If it was a bHC location, the name would be something like "Maui Bay Villas by Hilton Club", rather than by Hilton Grand Vacations Club.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I do not think they could change resort only res. window so drastically as that would be bait and switch.

They have aligned properties with 15 to 30 day changes. Frankly the 120 day window instantly devalues the newest NYC properties.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To state what might be the obvious, whether it is bHC or HGVC they also have the ability to charge more or less points per night based on the demand or perceived value of the location. So in the case of Maui, even though I am salivating, the actual point cost of staying there could be much higher that the other Hawaiian resorts. Am I seeing this right?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Am I seeing this right?
Yes. I would expect HGVC Maui to a have high point requirement. To my knowledge, HGVC hasn’t revealed them yet.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
...So in the case of Maui, even though I am salivating, the actual point cost of staying there could be much higher that the other Hawaiian resorts. Am I seeing this right?

Expect new higher point levels with Maui especially since HGVC only has a single location to offer in Maui unlike Oahu and the Big Island.

JMHO...If you really want Maui on a regular basis, I would take a look at Vistana’s mandatory resorts. Here’s an old discussion (link).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Yes. I would expect HGVC Maui to a have high point requirement. To my knowledge, HGVC hasn’t revealed them yet.

I disagree, I don’t get the whole Maui cachet, why is it more desirable than any other island? Kihei is not even the best Maui location, its not Kaanapali.

I think the point structure will be the same as KL phase 1 or GW/GI, I seriously doubt they are going to create a third even higher point structure just for Maui. The difference will be in maintenance fees if anywhere, Maui has the highest taxes.

A few years ago I got tired of waiting for HGV to have a Maui offering so I picked up a free Vistana here and traded in to WKORV, then bought a getaway the next year in to DRI Maui. Meh, we still prefer KL. I know thats heresy to the Westin/Marriott owners, but its how I feel, one size does definitely not fit all in the timeshare universe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I disagree, I don’t get the whole Maui cachet, why is it more desirable than any other island? Kihei is not even the best Maui location, its not Kaanapali.

I think the point structure will be the same as KL phase 1 or GW/GI, I seriously doubt they are going to create a third even higher point structure just for Maui.

A few years ago I got tired of waiting for HGV to have a Maui offering so I picked up a free Vistana here and traded in to WKORV, then bought a getaway the next year in to DRI Maui. Meh, we still prefer KL. I know thats heresy to the Westin/Marriott owners, but its how I feel.

Funny how we all have our favorites, lol. We love Kihei and feel that Kaanapali is too crowded for our taste. And we like the smaller size of Maui over the bigger size of the BIG island, mostly so that we don't have to spend too much time in the car. ;) However, family is on the BI so we usually stay at least a week on that island when we go to Hawaii.

We won't be spending a ton of points to stay at the HGVC on Maui. We will probably just trade into Maui Lea when we want to stay in south Maui or just trade into something up in Napili or Kaanapali when necessary. Our HGVC maintenance fees are too expensive to trade down for fewer days.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

I think the point structure will be the same as KL phase 1 or GW/GI, I seriously doubt they are going to create a third even higher point structure just for Maui. The difference will be in maintenance fees if anywhere, Maui has the highest taxes.

A few years ago I got tired of waiting for HGV to have a Maui offering so I picked up a free Vistana here and traded in to WKORV, then bought a getaway the next year in to DRI Maui. Meh, we still prefer KL. I know thats heresy to the Westin/Marriott owners, but its how I feel, one size does definitely not fit all in the timeshare universe.

I have to agree. Maui might be my least favorite simply because it's California West. I don't even feel like I've left home when I go there.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We bought an EOY Westin OF after research on that thread. Although the MF are expensive, I am glad it is EOY so we have half the MF burden and we can mix it up with HGVC stays on other islands, HGVC Maui, or other destinations. With the high MF/high rental income it is more economical to lock it off and rent it out than to trade.

Overall we have been happy with the decision to buy. Now with the HGVC changes, we are glad we have a toehold in another system so we have more options.

Now that SWA has added inexpensive inter-island flights, flying to the BI or Oahu to extend our stay is another option.

Last edited:

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The reason Maui appeals is because access and long flights are an issue for us from Calgary and Westjet is now flying the Dreamliner direct non-stop which means we can be there in a bit over 6 hours and 5 hours plus return. Previously, and in order to get to the BI we require a connecting flight which makes the whole travel experience quite a bit more onerous, especially as we age. Thanks for your insight on this as it might just be better to fly to Maui and connect with a short Hawaii Airlines flight to the BI.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think HGVC, Marriott, Wyndham, etc complicate things on purpose. Many years ago I owned Weeks at 4 Marriott Resorts (since sold). I knew what I owned and it was simple. Now everything seems to be cut up into so many pieces few know how to navigate through what they own...

George

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Sometimes I think HGVC, Marriott, Wyndham, etc complicate things on purpose. Many years ago I owned Weeks at 4 Marriott Resorts (since sold). I knew what I owned and it was simple. Now everything seems to be cut up into so many pieces few know how to navigate through what they own...

George
That is why I love my affiliate HGVC. It puts a layer In that simplifies it. I have what I would use and trade within the system to a different resort when what I want is available.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Since it’s a beachfront Hawaii property, I think HGVC prices will be higher which means they will offer more points for these units.

Remember back in 2006, HGVC introduced the next generation of resorts concept where the actual property itself determined the number of ClubPoints awarded to Members who own at these resorts, and the number of ClubPoints all Members need to make reservations at these newer properties (link). The first resorts of the next generation were Kings Land, Grand Waikikian and West 57th Street.

We’ve already seen increased point requirements with the latest resorts.

For example, Ocean Tower which opened in 2018 has studios that range from 3,400 to 12,400 ClubPoints for a week stay during Platinum Season.

For example, a week in a one bedroom during Platinum Season
  • When we had a single point chart for all resorts, it ranged from 4,800 to 8,400 ClubPoints
  • When Grand Waikikian and Kings Land was added, it ranged from 7,200 to 12,600 ClubPoints
  • For Grand Islander which opened in 2017, a one bedroom now requires from 7,200 to 16,800 ClubPoints
  • For Ocean Tower which opened in 2018, a one bedroom now requires from 4,800 to 16,800 ClubPoints
For example, a week in a two bedroom during Platinum Season
  • When we had a single point chart for all resorts, it ranged from 7,000 to 9,600 ClubPoints
  • When Grand Waikikian and Kings Land was added, it ranged from 10,500 to 14,400 ClubPoints excluding the penthouse units for 24,000 ClubPoints
  • For Grand Islander which opened in 2017, a two bedroom now requires from 8,400 to 19,200 ClubPoints excluding the penthouse units that range between 17,500 and 24,000 ClubPoints
  • For Ocean Tower which opened in 2018, a two bedroom now requires from 10,500 to 19,200 ClubPoints excluding the penthouse units that range between 17,500 and 24,000 ClubPoints