• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC/RCI Info

TTom

Reaction score
Hi!

I know I can get this information directly from HGVC, but TUG is just so much more convenient for me. (I never remember to call HGVC until they are closed or I am in bed! :rolleyes: )

HGVC used to have a system where you could initiate an RCI trade using your HGVC points. At the end of last year, we had an unused week, and we opted to "deposit with RCI", since there did not seem to be an option to request an RCI trade. I'm guessing that this somehow translates to an RCI Points deposit.

Has anyone else done this? How do you use the week/points? Do I just call HGVC and ask them to look for a trade?

Thanks!

Tom

haygos01

Reaction score
Great Question, I hope someone has the answer.

Looking through the member guide it says HGVC members can deposit current year points into RCI for future reservations for a deposit fee, and that they will still have to pay the exchange fee when they make reservations.

I assume that they are just earmarking or tracking the number of HGVC points you deposit rather than converting them to RCI points. When you make a request to exchange they will then deduct the number of points from that "bucket" since it is not typically a one to one exchange given the way the point values for HGVC points and what it takes to book an RCI exchange are not equal.

I think to HGVC members it gives them the chance to do something with current year points, as the options of converting to HHonors or depositing into the next year have already passed thier cut off date of the December before the current year.

As I have never deposited RCI points, just used HGVC points to exchange, I am not 100% sure if my assumption is correct.

MrTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey TTom, if you deposited your points into RCI you have 2 years to use them, but you would of had to make a request and pay an exchange fee. They will find the resort for you and then call you. I have done this alot with HGVC. Their customer service # is the only # you need to call, they have their own RCI reps. Your points are deposited with RCI but you do not belong to RCI or have an RCI account#. Everything is through HGVC. Hope this helps.

TerriJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also done this several times, with good results. I think you pay $49 when you do the conversion and then $149 to RCI when you actually make your reservation.

This has given us more flexibility in locations, although I have to say the resorts we have visited are not quite as nice as the HGVC resorts.

TTom

Reaction score
Note that I have done HGVC/RCI exchanges previously. This is the first time I paid to "deposit" HGVC points with RCI. Presumably, I will pay exchange fees for whatever exchanges I do. In the past, the RCI exchange fee was reduced by the amount of an HGVC trade ($49?).

I'm just wondering if anyone has details of the change in procedure.

Tom

TerriJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to pay both fees when I did this recently and I did not receive a credit from RCI.

Terri

OnMedic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is another way to save the deposit fee. Simply put an RCI request in for a time and location you know will be hard to get. This will also protect your points fo 2 years. When you know what you want, call and change your request... you will only be paying the $149 this way!

Last edited:

alliebrian

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
OnMedic said:
Here is another way to save the deposit fee. Simply put an RCI request in for a time and location you know will be hard to get. This will also protect your points fo 2 years. When you know what you want, call and change your request... you will only be paying the $249 this way!

$249? did the exchange fee go up that much? I had not heard that!

OnMedic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oops... typo! Who put those keys so close together! I fixed my original post.