• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC RCI 2-year rental program...good deal?

rkotowski11

Reaction score
Still a newbie owner here. Just got a call from HGVC RCI agent asking if I want to join the 2-year Rental Option program through RCI/HGVC. Can someone please tell me what the downside is? It's kind of like when we bought our property...everything sounded too good to be true. I only have 24 hours to get back to them to sell my 4 weeks for this year. I don't recall this option being discussed when we bought our property.
Is it possible that I would not sell these weeks ever? What's the catch?

Thank you so much for a very quick response.

Ryan

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
Still a newbie owner here. Just got a call from HGVC RCI agent asking if I want to join the 2-year Rental Option program through RCI/HGVC. Can someone please tell me what the downside is? It's kind of like when we bought our property...everything sounded too good to be true. I only have 24 hours to get back to them to sell my 4 weeks for this year. I don't recall this option being discussed when we bought our property.

Ryan

My parents own RCI (unaffiliated with Hilton Grand) and I know they can do something like this where they deposit their weeks and rentals could cover the cost of their maintenance fees. I’ve never heard of this in relation to HGVC, however.

My parents own at rams horn in Estes Park and that sucker goes for like $300 a night easy. They have course don’t get all of that revenue but it more than covers their annual fees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

Ryan
It's a scam and wasn't from an HGVC agent or rci agent. It seems too good to be true because it is. They don't even try to sell/rent your weeks (which they are not allowed to by rci rules anyway). They will have your money and then will be off to get more money, not make any money for you.

The catch is they called you out of the blue. They offered you something too good to be true. They asked for an upfront fee.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It’s a scam.
You can report the incident to HGVC (link)

From HGVC‘s Incident Intake Questionnaire

Unscrupulous third parties are increasingly trying to defraud consumers and specifically timeshare owners. These third party callers often claim they can rent your timeshare or related benefits, sell your timeshare, or claim you have weeks, certificates, points or some other similar timeshare related product that you have not utilized.

Be cautious - these third party callers are often scam artists using general information and the name of well- known brands like Hilton Grand Vacations or RCI in an attempt to provide credibility and make their claims or offerings seem legitimate. They also capture information found in public records, social sites, timeshare owner user groups or otherwise found online to falsely gain your trust.

Please know that Hilton Grand Vacations does not share your information with these third parties, nor does Hilton Grand Vacations approve or any way endorse these offers. In fact, third party callers asking you to rent your timeshare may put you in violation of the Club Rules, your HOA rules and even local ordinances. Even more problematic is these scammers typically ask for an upfront fee for a benefit or service, that you will likely never receive.

What should you do if you are contacted?

1. Don’t Provide Personal Information. Because many of these callers are scammers, avoid providing them any personal information or credit card information.

2. Confirm the Offer with HGV. If the caller claims to be working with HGV or otherwise related to HGV, call us at 1- 800-932-4482 and confirm before accepting any offer or paying any money to the caller.

3. File a Complaint. If the call appears to be a scam (even if you haven’t paid any money), you should report the caller to the Attorney General’s Office where you reside as well the state in which the operator is located. Many of these operators are in Florida and Nevada.

For Operators located in Florida, file your complaint with the Attorney General & the Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services at:
http://myfloridalegal.com/contact.nsf/contact?Open&Section=Citizen_Services https://csapp.800helpfla.com/CSPublicApp/Complaints/FileComplaint.aspx

For Operators located in Nevada, file your complaint with the Attorney General and the Debt of Business and Industry Affairs at:

4. Stop Payment. If you’ve paid the scammer via credit card, contact your credit card company and request a stop payment. They may want to see a copy of your filed complaint.

5. Gather Information. Gather as much specific information about the caller as you can so that you can file your
Incident Intake Questionnaire complaint, including the following:
o Full name of the company,
o Full name of individuals you spoke to
o Phone number calling you (these are often false numbers)
o Phone number they gave you to call back for more information
o Date and time of the call(s).
o The address of their business
o Their website
o The details of the offer (such as price, location, service, etc.)

6. Report the Incident to HGV. If you have been contacted by a third party falsely claiming a relationship with Hilton or HGV or falsely claiming to have received information about you from Hilton or HGV, we want to know. You can report the incident by calling 1-800-932-4482 and completing the attached form.

Although most of these third party callers use false information (including false caller ID) making it very difficult to track them down, when we receive a report of company’s falsely claiming relationship with HGV, we take action whenever we can. However, we need information from you to take that action. So, the more information you can provide, the better chance we have in obtaining a successful outcome. Keep in mind that if you have been victimized by one of these scammers, your best course of action is to file a complaint with the authorities directly.

rkotowski11

Reaction score
Excellent, this is why I joined this site. I never gave him any information. I could tell he was not really knowing all my details all that well...probably got the property info from public records.

I just listened to his voicemail he originally left...didn't actually say he was from hilton or rci...just mentioned that and said he had some updates for our account.

Bummer...anyway I am glad I asked.

Ryan

rkotowski11

Reaction score
Is it worth the time filing a complaint? I could do it...might be fun to get his info tomorrow night and go after him to see what he says. Don't know if I will enjoy the pressure that will be put on me though.

Ryan

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Perhaps provide whatever information you have so far and let it go.

o name of individuals you spoke to
o Phone number calling you (these are often false numbers)
o Phone number they gave you to call back for more information
o Date and time of the call(s).
o The details of the offer (such as price, location, service, etc.)