• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Points question

Rainkitty

Reaction score
How easy is it to use your points to stay at a HGVC club where and when you choose? From reading the site - it seems it can be difficult to trade through RCI - but I have not read anything related to using the points for the HGVC club properties. Say I have 5000 points and it's November 2006. I want to vacation in Hawaii at the end of May or early June 2007 on the Big Island and stay at the HGCV property. Have you found that they are booked and you can't use the points there?

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have booked Hilton Hawaiian Village with my points at the 9 month out window. For a two bedroom "garden view" (more like a convention center roof view with a wee bit of ocean and the Illiaki next door ;) ), it took 7000 points. It's easy to check online at HGVC.com

Pronkster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have booked HHV both last May, 2 bd. premier unit and this May, 3 bd. penthouse unit, nine months out with no problem. All type units were available at both HHV and Kalia tower locations. I also went to the new location on the big island HGVC at Wakiloa last Sept. 2 bd. premier unit, which I booked 9 months out. Also had a choice of all type units then.

I don't know what kind of luck you would have 6 or 7 month out, but if there is no availability, if you keep checking, there is always the chance of a cancellation.

aktravler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have booked both HHV and Bay Club at 8 1/2 months with first choice of dates and room, no problems. In fact we leave 2 weeks from tonight for Hawaii:whoopie: :whoopie: :whoopie:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I think if you can plan 9 months out, it should never be a problem. Right now, I can see all room types available at all Hawaii locations 9 months out. But back up even a couple of weeks, and the availability is more limited, especially the Hawaiian Village locations. Orlando and Vegas seem to have good availability most of the time. Anything off-season is not a problem at all.

Kurt

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
... But back up even a couple of weeks, and the availability is more limited, especially the Hawaiian Village locations. Orlando and Vegas seem to have good availability most of the time. Anything off-season is not a problem at all.

Kurt

What is considered the off season in Hawaii?

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
Off season for HGVC Hawaiian resorts are weeks 19-22 and 36-41. All others are platinum.

nonutrix

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of closing on a resale HGVC 5000 gold points @ LV Flamingo and am attempting to understand the gold vs platnum points difference.

Tell me if I have this right...Platnum weeks are generally more desirable or high demand times for a given resort than gold or silver. The difference between Platnum, Gold & Silver is the points value assigned for a particular set of weeks at a particular resort through the year. Points are points regardless & I could use my 5000 (gold) points from this year and borrow from next year's allowance to book at Platnum week which goes for 8400 points in Hawaii? Yes???

Aside from availability and booking lead times (9 months vs 12 months) are there other things I need to keep in mind using these points for HGVC resort bookings?

Pronkster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest difference between owning a platinum, gold, or silver week, is that you are paying the same maintenance fee each year regardless of the color. You get the most points with a platinum week, less points if you own gold and even less points if you own silver. With platinum you get the most bang for your buck.