• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Points Question...

jlee2070

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I owned some amount of points from one resort and another amount at a different resort. Do they add together each year for use to reserve under Club Usage? Are points just points???

Basically, I'm looking to add some points to what I already own but it will be from a different resort. Any problems with doing this?

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will still pay maint fees for each resort you own. So 3500 for one and 3500 from another.. will be almost twice the MF cost of buying one 7000 point week.

Other than that..
You need to make sure both deeds are EXACTLY the same. names and all.. thats the only way HGVC will combine account and you'll only have one membership fee.

Good luck

jlee2070

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah... The maint fee's... Funny, didn't really think of it that way but that was important...

So, the easiest (most economical) way for me to take my 3400 points and turn it into 7000 points (or more) is to buy the upgrade from HGVC? I think attempting to sell my 3400 and then buying a new set of points will not work out very well either... :mad:

icroyals

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only other exception to "points is points" is for "events weeks" such as Christmas and New Years weeks. These are fixed weeks that are reserved for the owner automatically, and sell for a premium.

You could still use the points, but if I'm not going to use the week, it makes much more sense financially to rent the week. :wave:

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Upgrading from the developer will be expensive.. I will take a stab at some numbers. 3 options

Developer
Trade in 3400 points ($10,000)
buy 7000 points $27,000
costing you $17K

Resale w/ (2) 3400 points
buy a another 3400 points, $4400 with closing costs included
this will cost you an extra $500/yr in MF's
but saving $13K in the process

Sell your 3400 points ($3800)
buy 7000 points $13,800
cost of $10K

Bill4728

Reaction score
As Dave pointed out, two MF will cost you an extra $500/year but the difference is you save $13K over the developer costs. A huge savings. Also buying a second 3400 pt unit may cost $4400 but selling your curent unit and buying a 7000 pt platinum unit will cost $10K so that extra MF still may be less than spending $5,600 more to buy platinum.

So IMHO, go ahead buy another 3400 pt unit. (maybe a 5000 pt unit) you'll save >$5K which pays for the extra MF for many, many years. And you don't have to hassle with selling your current TS.

Pronkster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I would bite the bullet and by another 7000 point unit if you can. It sounds like you really like the system and IMO you can never have enough points! My husband thinks I've lost my mind. When you factor in the closing costs and all, you might as well be happy with your purchase this time and not be looking to add down the road. The MF's will be the same as the 5000 point unit and then you can use the 3400 pt. unit as a trader. I think it might get you a bonus week with SFX, I don't know for sure because I use all my points myself and never trade them. I think this would maximize your use.

It sounds like HGVC is starting to expand and build in new areas finally!

jlee2070

TUG Member
Reaction score
THANKS for all the great INPUT!!!

I wouldn't say I really "LIKE" the system... It's just that I find 3400 Points is bit limiting. While 6800 points (2 - 3400 point units) would allow me more flexibility but yet not enough to get the best of the best anytime... I find Hilton has too few properties but as you mentioned, they are starting to add slowly. The good thing is the flexibility of being able to do as many days (starting from 3) as I like and not be tied to a week at a time. I already have more TS's than I can handle any given year... My "favorite" thus far is my Marriott Waiohai unit on Kauai. But I also have Lake Tahoe and Cabo (EOY's)...

Need to think about this a bit... Seems like to buy another set of points on Re-Sale would be best even with the extra Maint Fee's. Shessh... $500 into $13K is 26 YEARS!!! That's a long time to recover the extra cost!!!

Last edited: