• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Ocean 22 at Myrtle Beach only has 6 luggage carts

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
For my Dad’s 90th birthday this month. I decided to book multiple rooms for an extended family celebration. Since my travel dates were limited based on the school calendar and I needed multiple rooms with my HGVC points, I didn’t attempt to book HGVC Ocean Oak in Hilton Head (due to the higher demand resort) and eliminated HGVC Ocean Enclave (due to TripAdvisor complaints of the next door roof top venue with music playing to 2am in the morning during peak travel season).

At HGVC Ocean 22, I knew the building had an awful design with the registration desk on the 2nd floor :rolleyes:, not enough elevators :rolleyes: which meant longer waits and a very small loading and unloading entrance area :rolleyes:.

But I didn’t know they only have SIX LUGGAGE CARTS for a 24 floor tower building which meant cars had to sit and wait for the return of luggage carts for loading and unloading luggage, and groceries. It’s just ridiculous to have so few during peak summer months.

Thankfully the guys working the loading and unloading area were very nice and tried to keep the car flow moving to get as many cars into the small space but there is only so much they can do with limited luggage carts.

Just a warning for those who haven’t stayed at HGVC Ocean 22.

IMG_6951.jpeg
IMG_6952.jpeg

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
An inadequate supply of luggage carts is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Reaction score
For my Dad’s 90th birthday this month... eliminated HGVC Ocean Enclave (due to TripAdvisor complaints of the next door roof top venue with music playing to 2am in the morning during peak travel season).
Those TripAdvisor reviews were likely older comments no longer applicable; when we were there end of February that "venue" was shuttered and no longer causing any complaints. We did hear from staff that the late night music was cause for some complaints, but like many would-be grandiose tourist business ventures, they didn' last very long. They appeared to be a restaurant that focused on the bar/nightclub business instead of the food.

Enclave had dozens of luggage carts, and their elevator system is a dream compared to 22. We really liked 22 and had no problems during our stay, but the elevators are known to be a problem during busy check-in/out periods. The 2nd floor lobby is a major design flaw, and the lack of separate service elevators only adds to the frustrations. Enclave has dedicated service lifts.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Those TripAdvisor reviews were likely older comments no longer applicable; when we were there end of February that "venue" was shuttered and no longer causing any complaints. We did hear from staff that the late night music was cause for some complaints, but like many would-be grandiose tourist business ventures, they didn' last very long. They appeared to be a restaurant that focused on the bar/nightclub business instead of the food.

Enclave had dozens of luggage carts, and their elevator system is a dream compared to 22. We really liked 22 and had no problems during our stay, but the elevators are known to be a problem during busy check-in/out periods. The 2nd floor lobby is a major design flaw, and the lack of separate service elevators only adds to the frustrations. Enclave has dedicated service lifts.

I think this is the rooftop place next door to Ocean Enclave, and it appears they are open. Not really surprising that they were closed in February.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
They didn't seem to be open when I was there in mid April, but maybe only after Memorial Day? Ocean Enclave has an interesting "new" elevator system where it tells you which car to get in, and it's more like a train lol. And they also only seemed to have ~6 luggage carts, and a tiny drop off location. When I got there for check in I had to wait 30 minutes in the road to turn in...

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes, Tin roof is next door. They have live rooftop music playing to 2am during peak beach season. I looked into Tin Roof last year (see thread linked below).

Here’s a recent post from their Facebook page
IMG_6978.jpeg

From
IMG_6979.jpeg

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
They didn't seem to be open when I was there in mid April, but maybe only after Memorial Day? Ocean Enclave has an interesting "new" elevator system where it tells you which car to get in, and it's more like a train lol. And they also only seemed to have ~6 luggage carts, and a tiny drop off location. When I got there for check in I had to wait 30 minutes in the road to turn in...
Thanks for the heads up on the cart situation at Ocean Enclave.

I also had to wait in the road to turn in at Ocean 22. Our wait was very long as well. After we realized the cars weren’t moving, family members jumped out of the minivan as soon as we got off the road and took any Costco items they could carry upstairs but we also had heavy items that required a luggage cart. That’s when I asked about the number of luggage carts.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Thanks for the heads up on the cart situation at Ocean Enclave.

I also had to wait in the road to turn in at Ocean 22. Our wait was very long as well. After we realized the cars weren’t moving, family members jumped out of the minivan as soon as we got off the road and took any Costco items they could carry upstairs but we also had heavy items that required a luggage cart. That’s when I asked about the number of luggage carts.
It is worth pointing out it's only an issue on Saturdays if my stay was representative. I.e. when most people are checking in/out. I would bet if you came on a Monday to Monday, or Wed to Wed or Mon to Fri - you'd not see any issue at all.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I have been an owner at Ocean 22 since it first opened. If you are at peak season and on a weekend check-in day, I can understand how things may get badly backed-up at the drop-off and also with the elevators. I have never personally had a problem with either. I always get prompt valet service at both check-in and check-out and no issues with the elevators. When they built Ocean Enclave later, Strand Group at least appears to have learned from the mistakes made with Ocean 22.

I am usually staying there for 2 to 3 weeks in November, so definitely off-season. I also deliberately avoid Friday or Saturday for arriving or leaving, usually checking in and out on a Monday to Thursday. I am surprised there are only 6 luggage carts. That does seem low for the size of the building. I wonder if it is not enough space to store them? I will mention it to the GM the next time I talk to her to get an explanation. Thanks for mentioning it.

JTurner538

Reaction score
We just checked out on Friday and while the elevators are probably the worst in HGVC inventory, our stay was delightful and we throughly enjoyed the property. It was our 5th trip to Myrtle and we’ve stayed at Enclave and Anderson too. Ocean 22 is my favorite.

JTurner538

Reaction score
Pro tip: Request a high floor. You still have to deal with ground level elevator traffic going up, but you’re almost guaranteed space on the way down. We never waited due to a full elevator besides right at checkout time.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Pro tip: Request a high floor. You still have to deal with ground level elevator traffic going up, but you’re almost guaranteed space on the way down. We never waited due to a full elevator besides right at checkout time.

Granted it was back in 2019, but the only time we waited for an elevator was during the saturday morning checkout rush. We checked in and out on a Thursday.

Gwendyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We loved Ocean 22, but yeah, elevators were certainly an issue when we checked out on Good Friday.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It is worth pointing out it's only an issue on Saturdays if my stay was representative. I.e. when most people are checking in/out. I would bet if you came on a Monday to Monday, or Wed to Wed or Mon to Fri - you'd not see any issue at all.

Checked out today. Yes, I agree that a midweek arrival and departure should be easier.

Saturday and Sunday were the two worst days. We arrived on Saturday and went grocery shopping on Sunday.

We loved Ocean 22, but yeah, elevators were certainly an issue when we checked out on Good Friday.

On checkout, we were also competing with housekeeping for the elevators. There were two housekeepers with their large carts waiting on our floor to get into the elevators. When the elevator doors opened, there were housekeeping staff without carts already in the elevators.

They really should have housekeeping carts positioned on the desired floors before 8:30am. And limit the number of staff using the elevators during core weekend hours (between 9am and 10:30am) to allow weekend guests to leave with their luggage.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I have been an owner at Ocean 22 since it first opened. If you are at peak season and on a weekend check-in day, I can understand how things may get badly backed-up at the drop-off and also with the elevators. I have never personally had a problem with either. I always get prompt valet service at both check-in and check-out and no issues with the elevators. When they built Ocean Enclave later, Strand Group at least appears to have learned from the mistakes made with Ocean 22.

I am usually staying there for 2 to 3 weeks in November, so definitely off-season. I also deliberately avoid Friday or Saturday for arriving or leaving, usually checking in and out on a Monday to Thursday. I am surprised there are only 6 luggage carts. That does seem low for the size of the building. I wonder if it is not enough space to store them? I will mention it to the GM the next time I talk to her to get an explanation. Thanks for mentioning it.
Perhaps they can store the extra carts across the street at the sales center and make them available during peak checkin/checkout hours on the weekends.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes, Tin roof is next door. They have live rooftop music playing to 2am during peak beach season. I looked into Tin Roof last year (see thread linked below).

Here’s a recent post from their Facebook page
View attachment 94780

From
View attachment 94782

Here’s a photo taken from the pier of Tin Roof which is right beside HGVC Ocean Enclave

IMG_7027.jpeg