• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Kings Land Resale Purchase Questions

TulareGuy559

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, first time post and still learning about timeshares! I grew up timesharing with my parents and am finally at that stage with life and family that I'd like to start to develop a portfolio of my own. That said, I'm trying to get a good understanding of what I'm buying, the rules, and the don'ts.

I'm looking at picking up a HGVC Kings Land on resale. I am not current a member of HGV, so I understand I need to consider the club costs in my purchase, which seems like around $200 right now.

I'm trying to wrap my head around their points system. I understand the 60% inflation adjustment with the Diamond acquisition, hence the differences in "new" vs "old" points. I also understand the point values when it comes to which resorts I can book. I also understand the MF benefit of getting platinum vs gold for the same sized unit.

What is confusing me is how point values intersect with what you purchase as your "home" resort. Looking at the resales for instance, I fine seemingly like Kings Land properties - 2bd/2bth, platinum week. However, the point values for each of those units may different - in some cases significantly. Taking the most obvious extremes, one is 8,400 points annually whereas another is 20,160. When I reference the current Kings Land point charts from TUG (https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/h...liated-information.254931/page-2#post-1998228) it is apparent that the 8,400 point may not get me a 2bd/2bth platinum unit at Kings Land. Are the point values only applicable when trying to book elsewhere in the HGV system or would I need to book less than a week at the resort based on the point values?

I am too old school in my thinking on a 2bd/2bth unit for a week should equal that, but I realize in point-based systems that isn't the case. Would the answer to the question above differ in a deeded week at Kings Land?

Thanks!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
KL has been built in three phases so far, the first phase had higher points and the units were larger with higher grade furnishings. The second phase were smaller units with less points and lower grade furnishings. The third phase was a mix of the first two. That is why you see two point values for similar units.

The units are also rated by location within the building, first floor is standard, second floor plus, third floor premier - all different points.

During home season you can only book the unit type and season you own at the resort you own, no reservation fee.

The club fee you reference is annually, when you purchase there are other one time account activation fees.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

TulareGuy559

TUG Member
Reaction score
KL has been built in three phases so far, the first phase had higher points and the units were larger with higher grade furnishings. The second phase were smaller units with less points and lower grade furnishings. The third phase was a mix of the first two. That is why you see two point values for similar units.

The units are also rated by location within the building, first floor is standard, second floor plus, third floor premier - all different points.

During home season you can only book the unit type and season you own at the resort you own, no reservation fee.

The club fee you reference is annually, when you purchase there are other one time account activation fees.

Thank you, Dave! That makes sense. I have noticed the phases, but hadn't connected that different points might reflect different phases on the property. Every time I've exchanged into the property we've been in units 2 - 4, so my experience there is probably reflective of phase I. Outside of the somewhat disconcerting glass toilet room, we really like the appointments of those rooms. I'm curious of others who may have good comparison of phase I vs the smaller phase II rooms and appointments.

Apologies, I'm still trying to understand points on a home property. On the home season booking, have points required to reserve your "purchased" unit increased for folks such that people need to buy more points to get a full week for their home resort? It seems like finding the most points at the lower per point cost is certainly the better bet for the future (probably an obvious statement), but I'm trying to understand how quickly the level of points we have become limiting.

Finally, does anyone have feedback of buying their first HGVC property via resale went and costs to get into the program? Clearly Hilton wants you to buy from them first and I'm wondering what additional costs may be tacked on to access their program.

Thank you!!

-Tim

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you, Dave! That makes sense. I have noticed the phases, but hadn't connected that different points might reflect different phases on the property. Every time I've exchanged into the property we've been in units 2 - 4, so my experience there is probably reflective of phase I. Outside of the somewhat disconcerting glass toilet room, we really like the appointments of those rooms. I'm curious of others who may have good comparison of phase I vs the smaller phase II rooms and appointments.

Apologies, I'm still trying to understand points on a home property. On the home season booking, have points required to reserve your "purchased" unit increased for folks such that people need to buy more points to get a full week for their home resort? It seems like finding the most points at the lower per point cost is certainly the better bet for the future (probably an obvious statement), but I'm trying to understand how quickly the level of points we have become limiting.

Finally, does anyone have feedback of buying their first HGVC property via resale went and costs to get into the program? Clearly Hilton wants you to buy from them first and I'm wondering what additional costs may be tacked on to access their program.

Thank you!!

-Tim
Maybe my example will help understand home reservation. I own a 2 br premier (3rd floor), platinum season, phase 1. Original points was 14,400 which was recently adjusted to 23040. I can book that exact unit 12-9 months in advance, but only if I had all my point allotment for the year of booking - 23040 for 2023 in this example. If I book something in 2022 and borrow some points from 2023 I lose the ability to make a Home resort reservation. Home reservation is free, a Club 9 months or less has a fee. A Club reservation I can book any unit, any season if I have the points required.

I will never book my home unit, it's a waste of points. I will always book lesser units to get longer stays. I am currently in building 2, second floor plus unit for 9 nights. It was 10568 new points because HGVC offered a 30% discount when I booked it, they sometimes have sales like this when occupancy is low. It would have been 16704 points.

By staying in lower cost units, during Gold shoulder season I get maximum value for my annual maintenance fee.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PS, there are junk fees when you buy, transfer and account activation fees. They do charge resale higher fees, but it's still a lot less than the developer price discount you get buying resale.

TulareGuy559

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe my example will help understand home reservation. I own a 2 br premier (3rd floor), platinum season, phase 1. Original points was 14,400 which was recently adjusted to 23040. I can book that exact unit 12-9 months in advance, but only if I had all my point allotment for the year of booking - 23040 for 2023 in this example. If I book something in 2022 and borrow some points from 2023 I lose the ability to make a Home resort reservation. Home reservation is free, a Club 9 months or less has a fee. A Club reservation I can book any unit, any season if I have the points required.

I will never book my home unit, it's a waste of points. I will always book lesser units to get longer stays. I am currently in building 2, second floor plus unit for 9 nights. It was 10568 new points because HGVC offered a 30% discount when I booked it, they sometimes have sales like this when occupancy is low. It would have been 16704 points.

By staying in lower cost units, during Gold shoulder season I get maximum value for my annual maintenance fee.

OK, that imakes sense and most definitely a great example of how to maximize use of points and spread them across more weeks and/or resorts!

Does anyone have a good idea of what the junk fees/transfer fees may look like? I've seen discussions on TUG about other vacation ownership programs charge pretty steep charges (I think I saw MVC charging $3/point). Just hoping to anticipate those types of surprises if I move forward with a purchase.

kachook

TUG Member
Reaction score

Basic questions: why stay at a lesser unit than your home unit? What would be the difference between the two? Also, how are you getting more bang for your buck for your MF by staying at a lesser unit? Thank you!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Basic questions: why stay at a lesser unit than your home unit? What would be the difference between the two? Also, how are you getting more bang for your buck for your MF by staying at a lesser unit? Thank you!
It's simple really, all the 2br units in phase one are identical, I'm on the second floor instead of the third. I'm also staying in Gold Season which is less points (April-May or Sept-Oct). With a mf about $2100 if I stay in my home unit in platinum season, it's $300 a night. This way its $135 a night and I have points left to use elsewhere. I also booked Wed - Friday, nine nights and only included one weekend which are double point cost.

It's mentioned in the Club Rules, point stretching, although I take it to the extreme.

If I stayed in a 1br, since there is only two of us now, I could stay almost a month in Gold Season, which would get my cost below $100 a night. We got the two br because we are hosting my wife's brother, his first time in Hawaii.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, that imakes sense and most definitely a great example of how to maximize use of points and spread them across more weeks and/or resorts!

Does anyone have a good idea of what the junk fees/transfer fees may look like? I've seen discussions on TUG about other vacation ownership programs charge pretty steep charges (I think I saw MVC charging $3/point). Just hoping to anticipate those types of surprises if I move forward with a purchase.
See page 24 for fees. It's fixed by contract, not by number of points like Marriott.

TulareGuy559

TUG Member
Reaction score

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

As of last year (we purchased resale last summer) the fees HGVC charges when you purchase through a 3rd party (resale) are about $429 transfer fee, $619 enrollment fee and a $79 estopple/ROFR fee. We also paid about $300 to prep the deed and about $65 to send and register with the county. We paid a total of about $1600 in closing costs and Hilton fees above what we paid the seller. We did not get title insurance and we bought in Vegas. Other states might be more.

kachook

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's simple really, all the 2br units in phase one are identical, I'm on the second floor instead of the third. I'm also staying in Gold Season which is less points (April-May or Sept-Oct). With a mf about $2100 if I stay in my home unit in platinum season, it's $300 a night. This way its $135 a night and I have points left to use elsewhere. I also booked Wed - Friday, nine nights and only included one weekend which are double point cost.

It's mentioned in the Club Rules, point stretching, although I take it to the extreme.

If I stayed in a 1br, since there is only two of us now, I could stay almost a month in Gold Season, which would get my cost below $100 a night. We got the two br because we are hosting my wife's brother, his first time in Hawaii.

Thank you. This helps me understand. I appreciate it.

TulareGuy559

TUG Member
Reaction score
As of last year (we purchased resale last summer) the fees HGVC charges when you purchase through a 3rd party (resale) are about $429 transfer fee, $619 enrollment fee and a $79 estopple/ROFR fee. We also paid about $300 to prep the deed and about $65 to send and register with the county. We paid a total of about $1600 in closing costs and Hilton fees above what we paid the seller. We did not get title insurance and we bought in Vegas. Other states might be more.

Thank you, dayooper!! This help tremendously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Does anyone have a good idea of what the junk fees/transfer fees may look like?

Purchase price + ~$1500 is what it will be if you use LT Transfers as your titling company.

Around $250 goes to LT, the rest goes to HGVC at multiple stages ($85 for a start, $450 when submitting signed deeds, $600-something a couple months after your points are ready to use online).