• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Hilton Hawaiian Village Question

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
There is no truly off season here on Oahu at HHV. There are slower times like post labor day till Mid Navember. Then Thanksgiving to Mid Dec (week before Christmas). But it it just a little slower at restaurants and lodging.

Just like there is no off season at Walt Disney World anymore.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
My daughter is staying at my place in Oahu right now. She went by herself over to Tommy Bahamas for dinner last Thursday — a weekday in early November — and it was an hour wait, for one person. So, no, there’s no real “off season” in Waikiki.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
So off season travel time is September - March for Hawaii, that is a great piece of information. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with what others said that there is no real off season in Hawaii. The time from September to early December and from late April to early June is what I would call slower time. Christmas and New Years Weeks are prime times, and HGVC calls them Event Weeks so you must own those exact weeks. Summer time from mid June to end of August is also prime time. The period after New Years to mid April is the time we always used our points to get away from the cold winters and is prime time for retirees. Since Covid that might have changed since seniors have been slower in coming back to travel. We were also slow in coming back but since being vaccinated a number of times, including getting mild cases of Covid, we have come to relize that when your remaining years being able to travel and enjoy life are getting short you need to come out from under the Covid Shell and get out.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I saw in another thread that the Lagoon Towers are very noisy. Is that the case with the other three towers? If you were to rank the 4 towers, how would they rate?
That’s kind of hard to say because a lot of the answer depends on what you consider “noise” and where your room is located. For instance, one side of the Lagoon Tower faces Diamond Head. It has a great view of the HHV Luau, but that also involves music, singing, etc. And there is a big difference between a 3rd floor room and a 22nd floor room. If you have an ocean front room you have a great view of the Friday night fireworks, but yes, they are noisy. You won‘t hear, or see, the fireworks nearly as much if you have a mountain/island view room in a tower at the front of the complex.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I saw in another thread that the Lagoon Towers are very noisy. Is that the case with the other three towers? If you were to rank the 4 towers, how would they rate?
I've only stayed in Lagoon Tower units. The sounds from the great lawn are not obnoxious to everyone that stays there, we don't mind it and it's usually over by 10pm. My wife always goes down at the finish because they give her the floral table displays.

The noise that bothered us was on the other side of the building, 6AM garbage and delivery trucks banging and bleeping backup beepers!

Grand Islander is furthest away, not sure on what noise you might encounter over there, and the point values are higher. It's an urban jungle.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

No, the other towers are newer construction and offer better soundproofing.
The Lagoon Tower is the oldest timeshare tower (a converted apartment building built in the 1960s). It was renovated in 2000 but lacks the soundproofing that the other timeshare towers offer.

Each tower has their PROs and CONs. For those who are interested, post #2 in this thread has links to several threads with detailed information. Below is a brief summary.

There are four timeshare towers at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. All four towers are nice. The choice really depends on what’s more important to you in terms of view and amenities and the number of points you want to use. For example some folks simply don’t care about the view.

Hilton.com provides detailed room descriptions , photos and 3D floor plans for each unit type.

Lagoon Tower was built back in 1965. Converted from Lagoon Tower apartments and opened in 2001.
Pros: Spacious living room with the largest lani, Lagoon tower is also closest to the ocean
Cons: Washer & dryer located on each floor; older hotel style bathrooms with combined tub/shower; elevators shared by everyone (guests, housekeeping, bell services, etc) which means longer elevator wait times during peak times of the day.
The Hilton Hawaiian Village can be very noise due to the various events/live entertainment. The level of noise will range based on the location of the event/live entertainment. Some events are louder than others. The Lagoon Tower is the oldest tower compared to the other three HHV towers that were newly built and offer better soundproofing. If you decide to choose the Lagoon Tower but don't like late evening noise, I suggest that you request a room on the marina side.

Kalia Tower is a combination hotel/timeshare tower. Kalia timeshare units are converted hotel rooms. The conversion was completed in December 2003. There are a total 72 timeshare units in the Kalia Tower. The rooms are located on 6 floors (floor # 12 through 18; there is no 13th floor)
Pros: Fancier; hardwood floors; separate service elevators and faster hotel elevators, better soundproofing.
Cons: Washer & dryer centrally located on each floor; hotel style bathrooms with combined tub/shower; smaller unit with smaller hotel size balconies

Grand Waikikian was built after Lagoon and Kalia towers and opened in December 2008.
Pros: It was built as a timeshare (not a conversion) and therefore has some amenities the earlier two towers didn’t offer like in-room washer/dryer, separate tub/shower, etc. It's the fancier compared to Lagoon and Kalia but under the higher HGVC point structure.
Cons: Need to book higher point rooms for a great ocean view.

The Grand Islander is the newest timeshare tower built (just opened May 2017)
Pros: It was built as a timeshare (not a conversion) and therefore has some amenities the earlier two towers didn’t offer like in-room washer/dryer, separate tub/shower, etc. It also has a large pool area just for Grand Islander guests. It's the luxury compared to Lagoon and Kalia but under the higher HGVC point structure.
Cons: No dining room table (kitchen countertop with stools only). It’s the furthest away from the ocean. You’ll want to book a higher point room to guarantee a great ocean view due to the location.

Question: Which of the Oahu resorts and room types are most popular and why ?

For some folks, it’s all about the number of points required
- Lagoon and Kalia Towers are popular due to the lower point requirement
- Lagoon and Kalia Towers are the only towers that offer studio units

For some folks, it’s all about the view and the balcony
- no ocean view (aka standard view, Mountain View, resort view)
- partial ocean view
- ocean-view (some are better than others)
- oceanfront (only available in the Lagoon Tower - two bedroom premier)
- penthouse (two and three bedroom penthouse units in Lagoon, Waikikian and Islander)

For some folks, it’s all about the amenities such as in room washer/dryer, separate tub and shower, etc
- Grand Islander is the newest (opened in 2017) and will offer the latest and greatest
- Grand Waikikian (open ten years ago in 2008) offers more than the older two towers
- Kalia Tower is a hotel room conversion
- Lagoon Tower is an older apartment building conversion
Full disclosure, I own at Lagoon and Kalia Towers at HHV
Since we enjoy sitting out on the balcony as the sun rises, Lagoon Tower is our favorite. We also enjoy the Kalia tower rooms that face the resort/ocean (avoiding the city traffic noise).

My personal ranking
#1 - Lagoon tower for the largest balconies, ocean views, and large rooms.​
#2 - Kalia tower for the ocean views, faster elevators and easy exit from the Village​
#3 - Grand Islander Tower since it’s the newest.​
#4 - Grand Waikikian Tower when the others aren’t available​

Since we’re traveling from the East Coast, we’re pretty tired around 9pm HST (which is 2am or 3am back home depending on the time difference). So extremely loud noises lasting until 10pm or 11pm HST is hard on us. When we’re on vacation, we’re looking to unwind and relax before heading back to work. I’m hoping the over the top noise within HHV is something that will be controlled/addressed in the future otherwise the Lagoon Tower would go to the bottom of my ranking.

Over the years, I’ve come to expect noise until the late evening hours during our Lagoon Tower stays. We’ve been staying in the Lagoon Tower since 2003. Usually in the evenings, we could tell that some sort of music was playing within the HHV but not loud enough for us to exactly determine which song was actually playing. It’s always been annoying but I would eventually fall asleep.

It’s been close to 8 years since our last stay in the Lagoon Tower. We took a break from the Lagoon Tower after my Sept 2014 incident. During our April 2022 stay, the evening music got to an unbelievable level that we’ve never experienced before. I actually couldn’t believe how loud it was. We could clearly hear each of the hits song from the 80s and 90s that was loudly played as if we were attending a concert. It was awful. It seriously felt as if we had no walls or windows.

Live Music from the Tapa Bar is currently scheduled for:
Sunday-Thursday: 7-10 pm
Friday: 8-11 pm
Saturday: 1-11 pm

Last edited:

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, the other towers are newer construction and offer better soundproofing.
The Lagoon Tower is the oldest timeshare tower (a converted apartment building built in the 1960s). It was renovated in 2000 but lacks the soundproofing that the other timeshare towers offer.

Each tower has their PROs and CONs. For those who are interested, post #2 in this thread has links to several threads with detailed information. Below is a brief summary.

There are four timeshare towers at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. All four towers are nice. The choice really depends on what’s more important to you in terms of view and amenities and the number of points you want to use. For example some folks simply don’t care about the view.

Hilton.com provides detailed room descriptions , photos and 3D floor plans for each unit type.

Lagoon Tower was built back in 1965. Converted from Lagoon Tower apartments and opened in 2001.
Pros: Spacious living room with the largest lani, Lagoon tower is also closest to the ocean
Cons: Washer & dryer located on each floor; older hotel style bathrooms with combined tub/shower; elevators shared by everyone (guests, housekeeping, bell services, etc) which means longer elevator wait times during peak times of the day.
The Hilton Hawaiian Village can be very noise due to the various events/live entertainment. The level of noise will range based on the location of the event/live entertainment. Some events are louder than others. The Lagoon Tower is the oldest tower compared to the other three HHV towers that were newly built and offer better soundproofing. If you decide to choose the Lagoon Tower but don't like late evening noise, I suggest that you request a room on the marina side.

Kalia Tower is a combination hotel/timeshare tower. Kalia timeshare units are converted hotel rooms. The conversion was completed in December 2003. There are a total 72 timeshare units in the Kalia Tower. The rooms are located on 6 floors (floor # 12 through 18; there is no 13th floor)
Pros: Fancier; hardwood floors; separate service elevators and faster hotel elevators, better soundproofing.
Cons: Washer & dryer centrally located on each floor; hotel style bathrooms with combined tub/shower; smaller unit with smaller hotel size balconies

Grand Waikikian was built after Lagoon and Kalia towers and opened in December 2008.
Pros: It was built as a timeshare (not a conversion) and therefore has some amenities the earlier two towers didn’t offer like in-room washer/dryer, separate tub/shower, etc. It's the fancier compared to Lagoon and Kalia but under the higher HGVC point structure.
Cons: Need to book higher point rooms for a great ocean view.

The Grand Islander is the newest timeshare tower built (just opened May 2017)
Pros: It was built as a timeshare (not a conversion) and therefore has some amenities the earlier two towers didn’t offer like in-room washer/dryer, separate tub/shower, etc. It also has a large pool area just for Grand Islander guests. It's the luxury compared to Lagoon and Kalia but under the higher HGVC point structure.
Cons: No dining room table (kitchen countertop with stools only). It’s the furthest away from the ocean. You’ll want to book a higher point room to guarantee a great ocean view due to the location.

Question: Which of the Oahu resorts and room types are most popular and why ?

For some folks, it’s all about the number of points required
- Lagoon and Kalia Towers are popular due to the lower point requirement
- Lagoon and Kalia Towers are the only towers that offer studio units

For some folks, it’s all about the view and the balcony
- no ocean view (aka standard view, Mountain View, resort view)
- partial ocean view
- ocean-view (some are better than others)
- oceanfront (only available in the Lagoon Tower - two bedroom premier)
- penthouse (two and three bedroom penthouse units in Lagoon, Waikikian and Islander)

For some folks, it’s all about the amenities such as in room washer/dryer, separate tub and shower, etc
- Grand Islander is the newest (opened in 2017) and will offer the latest and greatest
- Grand Waikikian (open ten years ago in 2008) offers more than the older two towers
- Kalia Tower is a hotel room conversion
- Lagoon Tower is an older apartment building conversion
Full disclosure, I own at Lagoon and Kalia Towers at HHV
Since we enjoy sitting out on the balcony as the sun rises, Lagoon Tower is our favorite. We also enjoy the Kalia tower rooms that face the resort/ocean (avoiding the city traffic noise).

My personal ranking
#1 - Lagoon tower for the largest balconies, ocean views, and large rooms.​
#2 - Kalia tower for the ocean views, faster elevators and easy exit from the Village​
#3 - Grand Islander Tower since it’s the newest.​
#4 - Grand Waikikian Tower when the others aren’t available​

Since we’re traveling from the East Coast, we’re pretty tired around 9pm HST (which is 2am or 3am back home depending on the time difference). So extremely loud noises lasting until 10pm or 11pm HST is hard on us. When we’re on vacation, we’re looking to unwind and relax before heading back to work. I’m hoping the over the top noise within HHV is something that will be controlled/addresses in the future otherwise the Lagoon Tower would go to the bottom of my ranking.
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a thorough reply. Sooooo helpful