• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Help - I need quick information re:a purchase opportunity

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am being offered 2 weeks at Tortuga Club in Sanibel Island in early September, Weeks # 36 and 37. These are 5000 points each. The cost would only by $7000 for both. I am looking at 2 5000 point units for the flexibility of using one as a timeshare there or trading in RCI or II (this has II membership also) and trading the other one in for Hilton Honors points for hotel stays if that works best for us. Also, this purchase gives 10,000 points rather than just 7000. Reading other threads, it seems more points will be needed in the future

My concerns are: 1. at $912, the MF for both weeks would be $1825 per year. I figure that at only $7000 for both weeks, it would take many years for that $1825 to break even with a ts with a lower MF. Still.... So this is really the big question. Is this worth it?

2. Isn't early September hurricane season?

3. I live in San Diego, so this would not be a trip we would do every year. But if it is really beautiful there, we could just as easily spend our week in Sanibel than Hawaii. Anyone know if they are comparible?

Thanks,

Jeff

Bill4728

Reaction score
Jeff,

$7000 for 2 weeks (and 10K points) is a killer deal.

Yes it is Hurricane season but it only matters if you are so unlucky to choose a week which there is a hurricane.

PS it also trades with II, as well as RCI and HGVC, so you also have that option if you choose.

Good Luck

Last edited:

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bill. How are you doing?

Yes, I know the $7000 is a killer deal, but is the $1800 MF worth it? THAT is really my question. There are deals at Las Vegas for only $650 MF (or $1300 for 2 units) but the up front costs may be $8000 for EACH.

So which is better? Low upfront cost and killer MF yearly or more reasonable MF but with a cost of $16000 up front for 2 units?

I guess along with this question I should ask if I am wrong to be considering 2 weeks right away?

Thanks,

Jeff

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
A GREAT Deal!

I agree that this is a killer deal! I would not hesitate to take it.

Steve

Reaction score
STOP!!!

Jeff,

Weeks 36 and 37 at Tortuga Beach Club on Sanibel Island are NOT worth 5000 points each. They are silver weeks worth only 3500 points each. This information can be found on page 75 of the 2007 HGVC Member Guide. Weeks 34-42 at Tortuga are silver weeks.

You have been given some serious mis-information.

Steve

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow!! Thank you so much, Steve. You know, I went back through the ad I responded to and my e-mails and he never quoted the number of points. I assumed it was 5000 each! And you know what 50% of ASSume is, right?

I actually did ask in one of my e-mails and he never answered that question.
Whew!

I sure just got my annual TUG dues worth.

Steve, you are the reason I am looking for 2 Florida HGVC affiliated resorts, based on a message you wrote last year in TUG about the great benefits of 2 5000 point resorts rather than a single 7000 pointer. Although I thought I was getting a great deal with these 2 Tortugas at only $7000 for both, the $18000 MF for both seemed tremendous and gave me pause before buying.

I wrote another message under the Florida board listing all the HGVC resorts in Florida that have II affiliation, asking for suggestions. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts. I would like a resort with a Marriott feel, if possible. You know, granite kitchens, bar by the pool, etc.

Jeff

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I wrote back to the seller and again asked how many points his week 36 and 37 units had and he told me they were 3500.

Too bad. $3500 each for 2 weeks on Sanibel Island in early September is a great price. And $912 may be reasonable for a timeshare week on the beach on Sanibel Island in the II system, but when I want to trade within HGVC, I would only have 3500 points for that same $912. The price is great, but $1825 is double what I would want to pay each year in MF for 7000 points.

Thanks, Steve, for the heads up.

Can someone comment on Steve's advice to purchase 2 5000 point ts, taking on 2 MF, v.s. buying a single ts with higher points. The single ts may cost more up front, but will have lower MF. Steve's concept is 2 separate units give more flexibility since you can go to one for a week, or trade, while using the other for HGVC or HH points. He also suggested the resorts in Florida because many of them are also affiliated with II, opening even more possibilities.

Thanks,

Jeff

Bill4728

Reaction score
Jeff,

I'm not sure what you want a comment on.
Can someone comment on Steve's advice to purchase 2 5000 point ts, taking on 2 MF, v.s. buying a single ts with higher points. The single ts may cost more up front, but will have lower MF. Steve's concept is 2 separate units give more flexibility since you can go to one for a week, or trade, while using the other for HGVC or HH points. He also suggested the resorts in Florida because many of them are also affiliated with II, opening even more possibilities.
I think Steve's advice stands on its own. THere is often a debate about buying silver or gold weeks because they have higher MF per point value assigned but that what HGVC does. Often the selling prices for gold weeks are so much better than platinum weeks that the higher MF over a 5-10 year are still a good deal. And if you do want to trade into II,(at an affilate like Sanibel Island) you must use a full week.

If you want a true point based system try Worldmark, Club Intrawest, Vacations Internationael or Monarch Grand which are true "pure point" TS systems.

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want a true point based system try Worldmark, Club Intrawest, Vacations Internationael or Monarch Grand which are true "pure point" TS systems.
I checked these in the TUG reviews and they don't seem to approach the quality of the HGVC resorts - Jeff

Pronkster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

I'm not sure what you want a comment on.
I think Steve's advice stands on its own. THere is often a debate about buying silver or gold weeks because they have higher MF per point value assigned but that what HGVC does. Often the selling prices for gold weeks are so much better than platinum weeks that the higher MF over a 5-10 year are still a good deal.

Not always, have you checked the classiffied ads here on tug for the Flamingo? 5000 pt. gold vs. 4800 pt. platinum week. Price is lower and on the 4800 pt. platinum and you only would be paying mf's on a 1 bedroom unit while on the 5000 pt. gold you would be paying mf's on a 2 bedroom unit.