• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC - Google Earth Tour

awsherm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've compiled a tour of all the HGVC properties using Google Earth. It's packaged in a kmz file (HGVC.kmz), that you should be able to open if you have Google Earth installed. Unfortunately a kmz file is not a valid file type to upload to TUG yet, so I've renamed the file to HGVC.zip. When you download HGVC.zip, please rename it to HGVC.kmz so you can open it with Google Earth

I noticed that there are some annoying javascript errors when I tried accessing the TUG reviews from the embeded browser in Google Earth. I recommend setting Google Earth to use an external browser Tools -> Options -> Preferences -> "Show web results in external browser".

Double clicking on any level in the tree should take you to a view that displays all of the resorts under that particular branch. Of course double clicking on any resort zooms in to that resort. I've tried to be accurate in both resort placement and information. Since I haven't been to most of the resorts I may have mismarked a few. If you notice any mistakes, please let me know.

Cheers,

Alex

Attachments

• HGVC.zip
    77.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that I don't trust you.. but can anyone verify that this file isn't or doesn't have a virus or spyware attached to it?

dawg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I opened it and does not seem to have virus attched to it. I am fairly well protected with Symantec antivirus. It is cool to able look at the differnt property's with thios program.

Dale

awsherm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Posted to Google Earth Community

I understand skepticism of downloading attachments from strangers. I've also posted to the Google Earth Community (bbs.keyhole.com)here:. If you use this placemark, you don't have to rename the file to .kmz. It will open directly in Google Earth.

I'd like to make more of these, maybe TUG top 30 next. If anyone would find that useful let me know.

Thanks,

Alex

awsherm

TUG Member
Reaction score
CaliDave said:
Not that I don't trust you.. but can anyone verify that this file isn't or doesn't have a virus or spyware attached to it?

For those who are .zip/.kmz adverse here is the same placemark file as .txt. You won't be able to see the South Seas Resort Overlay that I used, but everything else is the same. You can rename the file to HGVC.kml and double click to open or leave it as .txt and open from within Google Earth.

Attachments

• HGVC.txt
    59.9 KB · Views: 76

taffy19

Reaction score
What a great idea!

I just noticed now that Google Earth is available for the Mac too. :)

awsherm

TUG Member
Reaction score
CaliDave said:
I'd love to see this done for the Grand Pacific Resorts

I'm working on this now. I'll post it when it's complete in a new thread.

On another note: I just noticed that the popup balloon for the Mount Wolseley Hilton in Ireland is totally incorrect. It displays information for Seaworld and uses a different format that I was considering for all of the ballons. I'll post an updated placemark for MWH in this thread when I get a chance.

Alex

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
awsherm said:
I'm working on this now. I'll post it when it's complete in a new thread.

On another note: I just noticed that the popup balloon for the Mount Wolseley Hilton in Ireland is totally incorrect. It displays information for Seaworld and uses a different format that I was considering for all of the ballons. I'll post an updated placemark for MWH in this thread when I get a chance.

Alex

Very cool.. Thanks so much

I didn't even know there was a HGVC in Ireland?

taffy19

Reaction score
Alex, I feel dumb but I cannot open the two text files and I don't know how to change them either. Can you please explain a little further. I am using a PC or a Mac but this was on a PC.

I made a change in Google Earth and now it stopped working but I can download it again. That's no problem.

TIA.

awsherm

TUG Member
Reaction score
iconnections said:
I cannot open the two text files and I don't know how to change them either. Can you please explain a little further. I am using a PC or a Mac but this was on a PC.

MS Windows hides known file extensions by default. If the file name reads:"HGVC" vs. "HGVC.txt" then your extensions are hidden. I can walk you through turning on file extensions, but it would probably be easier for you to delete the files and download like this:

Select: HGVC.zip from this thread. Hopefully a File Download Dialog pops up. Select "Save". Change "Save As Type" to "All Files". Change the file name to "HGVC.kmz". Hopefully, the downloaded files icon looks like a page with the Google Earth Globe in the middle. If it does then you should be able to double click or open from within google earth.

(Alternatively you can follow the same directions for HGVC.txt but change the file name to HGVC.kml)

If this doesn't work let me know.

Alex

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
iconnections said:
Alex, I feel dumb but I cannot open the two text files and I don't know how to change them either. Can you please explain a little further. I am using a PC or a Mac but this was on a PC.

I made a change in Google Earth and now it stopped working but I can download it again. That's no problem.

TIA.

Don't feel bad, it took me awhile to figure it out too :eek:

But I opened it successfully from his link he gave on the Google Earth Community, the bbs keyhole one.

At first I didn't know it was working, but then I realized I had to open the whole HGVC folder to the resort drop down menus (I guess that's what it's called!)

Good luck....It's cool....but shows you how far out of date Google Earth is when you look at the Vegas Strip!

Rick

taffy19

Reaction score
Thank you, Alex and Rick. :) I got it to work now and my file extenstions were hidden. I read how to make them show and I like that much better as that is what the Mac does too so it's easy to make the change.

One more question, please. What do I do with the file I downoaded? Can I delete that or do I have to save it somewhere? I saved something in Google so is that enough that it stays there?

It's amazing what you can do with Google Earth if you know what you are doing. :D

awsherm

TUG Member
Reaction score
iconnections said:
One more question, please. What do I do with the file I downoaded? Can I delete that or do I have to save it somewhere? I saved something in Google so is that enough that it stays there?

Once you save a placemark in "My Places" you can delete the original placemark file. FYI, your "My Places" kml file is located in C:\Documents and Settings\'your username'\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth\

Alex