• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC for Australians

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I agree with @ljmiii not to dissuade you on HGV but Marriott has a much better offering closer to you. You wouldn’t have to go to gold coast every year, but its nice to have that option during times like this when travel is restricted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I looked into Marriott but I can't see myself going to Gold Coast every year..., and the huge $3 per point transfer fee is too much to buy into the Marriott points programme. I heard it might be possible to get a backdoor into the points programme by buying a Vistana TS and hope it gets absorbed into Marriott, but that seems like too much of a gamble.

I had a look at the Hilton resorts list, basically if I sign up 90% of the time I would look to use the points towards Hilton's Japanese resorts, as we love to go to holiday in Japan. If that's our intention, do I simply need to buy a Platinum resale week from one of the Hilton Las Vegas resort and use the points to book a Japanese resort? Are the Japanese resorts difficult to book using points?

ljmiii: I hear you about the hotel quality, I suppose I can't expect Conrad level resorts with HGVC, but I am fine with the level of a 4 star hotel in Asia. I am still in the research phrase, given how much there is to learn about timeshare, by the time I am ready I might be able to rent a timeshare to try it out before I make the purchase.

Your thoughts about buying a HGVC timeshare at another location and using your HGVC points 90% of the time toward HGVC Japanese Resorts may not be a feasible plan. While it is certainly possible the availability in the HGVC Japanese Resorts during Club Season are very limited. The availabiltiy in Hawaii during Club Season is much greater that is why I recommended that you travel the extra distance to Hawaii. Many people buy timeshares, whether it is due to the sales pitch or other reasons, believing that as long as in the rules you can do do something that you will be able to do something. There is a fallacy in that thinking. Furthermore, while you can convert your HGVC points to Hilton Honors points and stay in Hilton Hotels anywhere in the world, including Japan, the exchange rate is not very cost effective. You may only get 1 or 2 nights in a Hilton Hotel for a weeks worth of HGVC timeshare points. Therefore, while you may look at as a free night since you had to pay maintenance for the HGVC points it may have cost you about $1000/night.

glasszon

Reaction score
I only speak from hearsay and not experience but you are extraordinarily unlikely to successfully book any of the Japanese resorts except The Bay Forest Odawara. And that resort is too new to have a pre-COVID track record. That said, I only see one bookable 5 day window in June and a 4 day window in July at Odawara. As much as I love the HGVC resorts in which we've stayed, you need to take it down a notch - think 3-star Asia/Europe or 4-star US.

Thanks for letting me know, I thought the availability is similar to booking hotels using Hilton points, no wonder why they won't allow non-TS owners to search for availability on the HGVC website!

I will look into Marriott again and make a decision on proceeding or perhaps TS is just too niche of a market for Australians. I did look into Wyndham South Pacific but only points purchased directly from developer is eligible for redemption at Wyndham South Pacific, and we all know how expensive developer deals are.