• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC for Australians

glasszon

Reaction score
I am doing research into HGVC as I can use the resort credit for the Hilton Aspire card towards the annual MF (I know, not a good reason to get into timeshare), and I noticed there are very few international properties for HGVC, with only two properties in Asia Pacific.

Did I miss something or HGVC isn't really designed for non-Americans?

I am trying hard to find a reason to buy one because the economic condition means it is a great time to buy a timeshare via resale and it also solves the problem of not being able to use the resort credit on my credit card when I am stuck in Australia, but I am not sure having to fly half way across the world each year to use the HGVC benefit is a good idea, especially in today's travel environment.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I am doing research into HGVC as I can use the resort credit for the Hilton Aspire card towards the annual MF (I know, not a good reason to get into timeshare), and I noticed there are very few international properties for HGVC, with only two properties in Asia Pacific.

Did I miss something or HGVC isn't really designed for non-Americans?

I am trying hard to find a reason to buy one because the economic condition means it is a great time to buy a timeshare via resale and it also solves the problem of not being able to use the resort credit on my credit card when I am stuck in Australia, but I am not sure having to fly half way across the world each year to use the HGVC benefit is a good idea, especially in today's travel environment.

I don't know about the resorts in "Asia Pacific" but many Austrailians travel to Hawaii where HGVC has many nice resorts and is building 2 more. I know it is a long trip but we have travelled there from New York which is an 11 hour flight each year since 2009. We have 34,600 points and use them efficiently to be able to stay there for a number of months so that the flight is kind of a one day and it is over for quite awhile type thing so not so bad at all.

MPrince

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC The District by Hilton Gold, HGVC Oceans 22 Platinum, Elara Gold, Elara Platinum, Flamingo Gold
HGVC website lists 20 resorts in Japan and 10 in Hawaii.

19 of the resorts in Japan are external exchange resorts, though. Not sure what impact that would have on your decision process.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
19 of the resorts in Japan are external exchange resorts, though. Not sure what impact that would have on your decision process.
I wouldn’t factor those “resort” into your decision. IMO, they would be a very poor use of points. I would also second HI.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I am doing research into HGVC as I can use the resort credit for the Hilton Aspire card towards the annual MF
I use this card to pay all of my MFs and get the credit at each resort (14/1). I also get the $250 annual Hilton hotel kickback.

MPrince

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC The District by Hilton Gold, HGVC Oceans 22 Platinum, Elara Gold, Elara Platinum, Flamingo Gold
I use this card to pay all of my MFs and get the credit at each resort (14/1). I also get the $250 annual Hilton hotel kickback.

I just upgraded my card to Aspire, could you expand on how resort credit works? I'm not sure I understand how that works. Is it a statement credit, or is it a credit to be used at the resort? Do you get the credit at all of the resorts you pay MF for? Or is it a single credit that can be used at any resort stay?

MPrince

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wouldn’t factor those “resort” into your decision. IMO, they would be a very poor use of points. I would also second HI.

I've never been to that part of the world before, but just checked the flight distances from Australia to Japan and Australia to Hawaii. Looks like Hawaii is about 1,300 miles further. (Roughly speaking, didn't calculate airport to airport, just country to country.)

Both are long flights IMO, but the greater distance to Hawaii would be worth it to me.

glasszon

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, looks like the best option for me if I do go for it is to look for point redemption at Hawaii properties.

In that case, would it make sense to buy the smallest amount of platinum week points from one of the Las Vegas resort via resale channels? Right now I don't have any kids so I won't be staying at large 2 bedroom units.

Looking to do a bit more research first before discussing it with my wife.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Maybe look at some of the other timeshare systems. They have a few more options in Asia-Pacific region. HGVC is very North American and Japan centric. Ultimately you want to use the TS - the credit card should be a secondary consideration.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In that case, would it make sense to buy the smallest amount of platinum week points from one of the Las Vegas resort via resale channels? Right now I don't have any kids so I won't be staying at large 2 bedroom units.
If you *know* you want to stay for a Sat-Sat week on O'ahu another option would be to buy an Every Other Year studio week at the HHV Lagoon Tower. Even in normal times Lagoon Tower studios and 2BRs go fast - this year club season reservations are a blood sport. Higher MFs...but a guaranteed week.

That said...I'm not sure the extra HHonors points are worth the price of ownership. Another thing to keep in mind are the club dues and other HGVC fees. If you only own one, low value resort week then they become an appreciable percentage of your HGVC expenses.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe look at some of the other timeshare systems. They have a few more options in Asia-Pacific region. HGVC is very North American and Japan centric. Ultimately you want to use the TS - the credit card should be a secondary consideration.
What @jabberwocky said. You could look at MVCI which has a wonderful resort in Surfer's Paradise (which I loved) as well as some properties in Bali, Bangkok, and Phuket. But then you would be collecting Bonvoy Points (and investigating the costs and benefits of MVCI).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I believe Wyndham also has Asia Pacific properties. Check out that forum. Bottom line: Do a lot of research before you buy.

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.
Since you’re in Australia I would say look into Club Wyndham South Pacific. Might be a better fit for you.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
If you *know* you want to stay for a Sat-Sat week on O'ahu another option would be to buy an Every Other Year studio week at the HHV Lagoon Tower. Even in normal times Lagoon Tower studios and 2BRs go fast - this year club season reservations are a blood sport. Higher MFs...but a guaranteed week.

That said...I'm not sure the extra HHonors points are worth the price of ownership. Another thing to keep in mind are the club dues and other HGVC fees. If you only own one, low value resort week then they become an appreciable percentage of your HGVC expenses.

I don't believe that you can buy a Studio at the Lagoon Tower. All of the Studios are the smaller side of a 2 BR Lockoff. Also the Studios are really small. They are the smallest Studios that I have ever seen. The Lagoon Tower was originally the Lagoon Apartments. Hilton bought them, renovated them, and turned them into Timeshares. When they did the renovation they turned one of the bedrooms of some of the 2 BR Apartments into Studios with small separate mini kitchens. I would advise to learn about the HGVC system and then buy a sufficient amount of points to vacation comfortably for more than a week in Hawaii since the trip from Australia is so long a weeks vacation is not enough.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that you can buy a Studio at the Lagoon Tower....
I saw an EOYE Studio Lagoon week for sale...thus my suggestion. But the listing may very well be in error...it could be mislabeled Kalia Suites unit.

glasszon

Reaction score
Good point about Marriott and Wyndham timeshare as well, I would definitely prefer something closer to home! Are they good timeshare companies? One of the reasons I looked at HGVC is Hilton has always treated its Diamond members very well on the hotel side and I see they have made adjustments for covid by allowing people to roll the points forward for free.

Given timeshare is a long term commitment, do Marriott and Wyndham treat their timeshare owners well?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
One of the reasons I looked at HGVC is Hilton has always treated its Diamond members very well on the hotel side and I see they have made adjustments for covid by allowing people to roll the points forward for free.
I do believe that HGVC (IMO) has been very fair (but not everyone agrees with that). I will add the Hilton hotels and HGVC/bHC are now two different companies. So I wouldn’t base your decision on your experience with Hilton hotels. These are two different animals.

I think you need to try out (rent) HGVC at Hawaii (maybe on Oahu or Big Island). I also think that maybe one of the other TS companies might be a better fit.

glasszon

Reaction score
I do believe that HGVC (IMO) has been very fair (but not everyone agrees with that). I will add the Hilton hotels and HGVC/bHC are now two different companies. So I wouldn’t base your decision on your experience with Hilton hotels. These are two different animals.

I think you need to try out (rent) HGVC at Hawaii (maybe on Oahu or Big Island). I also think that maybe one of the other TS companies might be a better fit.

Fair point about renting first, but Australians aren't allowed to leave the country at the moment and the word is we won't be allowed to travel to US before 2022 and worried I might miss the boat to pick up a bargain by 2022.

As you noticed I am still quite new to timeshare, is it a bad idea to look into buying timeshare if I never rented before?

Also agree about other TS companies, currently looking into Marriott and it is so confusing with their week and points system!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Well we are not allowed to travel to various countries either, like Europe. A lot of people are limiting travel to destinations they can reach by car. This year I just used my Hawaii HGV points to stay in Carlsbad, an hour from where I live.

Please take the time to investigate other timeshares near you before you rush into a purchase, it would be terrible to own something you could not travel to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Good point about Marriott and Wyndham timeshare as well, I would definitely prefer something closer to home! Are they good timeshare companies? One of the reasons I looked at HGVC is Hilton has always treated its Diamond members very well on the hotel side and I see they have made adjustments for covid by allowing people to roll the points forward for free.

Given timeshare is a long term commitment, do Marriott and Wyndham treat their timeshare owners well?
Your Hilton diamond status won't matter in the timeshare world (i.e., there are no free breakfasts for the most part), so I would not choose a system on that basis.

In general, the major timeshare systems have treated their owners fairly well, providing varying degrees of flexibility to transfer points to the following year. Weeks owners have had to deposit with an exchange company in some cases.

If you are thinking about quality "tiers" of ownership, I would put HGVC, Marriott, Hyatt, and the Westin club of Vistana at around the same level.

Wyndham/Worldmark would be a step below.

In terms of locations, you will want something you can travel to and use. Hyatt, HGVC, and Vistana only have Hawaii locations that would be somewhat accessible for you. Marriott is probably a better choice with more international (Asia-Pacific) locations with the upper-level quality.

Marriott weeks are cost-effective, but they essentially lock you into the same resort (you can trade it through II at additional cost). In addition, you then have to vacation in 7-day increments. Marriott points give you a lot of flexibility but are quite expensive to buy, and the cost for prime weeks can make it very expensive.

I know there are many perceived deals right now. I wouldn't rush into buying one just yet. If you are patient you can pick up something at a very effective price, prices are likely to drop even further over the next few months. It may make sense to "burn" a year of usage and pay the MF if your entry point is low enough.

As a side note, does anyone else find it ironic that Australia has returned to its roots as a penal colony?

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.

They’re good programs and their points systems offer a lot of flexibility. I own with Wyndham (resale) and they have always treated me well. I have also stayed as a guest at both Wyndham and Marriott resorts and I have never had a bad experience.
My only suggestion would be to avoid the owners previews. Wyndham tends to be high pressure. Also, make sure to look especially for Club Wyndham South Pacific credits since it is its own program.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As you noticed I am still quite new to timeshare, is it a bad idea to look into buying timeshare if I never rented before?
A difficult question. I don't think you need to stay at the timeshare you intend to buy...but your not having stayed at *any* timeshare gives me pause.

There is a much wider range of accommodations in the Hilton Hotel brand then there are in HGVC. Since you are Diamond and Australian it is likely that you've stayed in Hilton hotels that are *much* nicer than you will find HGVC resorts to be (the same is true of Marriott/MVCI by the way). On the other hand, there are hotels in the Hilton family of brands in which we were very unhappy to have stayed - not so for HGVC.

Lastly, from our 'What it's worth department' we have never stayed at any of the specific properties in which we have bought. But we always had stayed in 'comparables' - a different HHV building, a different DVC resort, etc.

glasszon

Reaction score
I looked into Marriott but I can't see myself going to Gold Coast every year..., and the huge $3 per point transfer fee is too much to buy into the Marriott points programme. I heard it might be possible to get a backdoor into the points programme by buying a Vistana TS and hope it gets absorbed into Marriott, but that seems like too much of a gamble.

I had a look at the Hilton resorts list, basically if I sign up 90% of the time I would look to use the points towards Hilton's Japanese resorts, as we love to go to holiday in Japan. If that's our intention, do I simply need to buy a Platinum resale week from one of the Hilton Las Vegas resort and use the points to book a Japanese resort? Are the Japanese resorts difficult to book using points?

ljmiii: I hear you about the hotel quality, I suppose I can't expect Conrad level resorts with HGVC, but I am fine with the level of a 4 star hotel in Asia. I am still in the research phrase, given how much there is to learn about timeshare, by the time I am ready I might be able to rent a timeshare to try it out before I make the purchase.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked into Marriott...and the huge $3 per point transfer fee is too much to buy into the Marriott points programme.
Indeed. You could buy a resale week at one of the MVCI Asian resorts (e.g. Marriott's Phuket Beach Club) but I don't think that achieves what you desire.
I had a look at the Hilton resorts list, basically if I sign up 90% of the time I would look to use the points towards Hilton's Japanese resorts, as we love to go to holiday in Japan...
I only speak from hearsay and not experience but you are extraordinarily unlikely to successfully book any of the Japanese resorts except The Bay Forest Odawara. And that resort is too new to have a pre-COVID track record. That said, I only see one bookable 5 day window in June and a 4 day window in July at Odawara.
ljmiii: I hear you about the hotel quality, I suppose I can't expect Conrad level resorts with HGVC, but I am fine with the level of a 4 star hotel in Asia...
As much as I love the HGVC resorts in which we've stayed, you need to take it down a notch - think 3-star Asia/Europe or 4-star US.

While I don't want to dissuade you from HGVC I can't help thinking you are barking up the wrong tree if your primary motivation is HHonors points. The forums are filled with folk who complain that 'I used to be able to convert my MVCI week into Marriott (hotel) points that got me airfare and a week at a 5-star Marriott and now all I get is three nights at a Courtyard in the sticks.'